Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Because, Novation Circuit! šŸ˜šŸ˜

edited June 2020 in Other

Been digging back in to my Novation Circuit. I'm in love... finally. It took replacing the default sample set with a bunch of weirdo s*%t for the two of us to really bond.I'm so glad I did it! Now I wish I could quickly bounce pattern chains to Blocs Wave but that's just because I'm lazy (bouncing to Blocs works just fine for the patient).

Love working with it by itself. Synth macro knobs can be frustrating or inspirational. Seems like an obvious OS update to allow users to set what SHIFT+Knob controls on the synth patches. It would be a set once and forget sort of deal in my mind. To each their own but I'd be thinking along the lines of 1=Cutoff, 2 = RES, 3=Attk, 4=Release, 5=OD, ...

Love using synth 1+2 to sequence synths hosted in AUM. And/or one of the synth channels as the transpose basis for several AUM MIDI channels/sequencers. Thanks, Bram!

Love finding whatever edges I can when sequencing it all stand alone.

Two questions for the Circuit lovers out there (er, here). 100% OT because they're all about Circuit stand alone.

1. Is it possible to change a synth patch on a step or pattern basis? Like you can "sample flip" on the drum channels? I know that you can automate the synth knobs but I'm wondering about full preset replacement per pattern (or step).

2. Is it possible to have more than eight patterns per track? I haven't really messed with it much but I know there are "chains of pattern chains" now. I've watched a few tutorials and read the manual but I'm still left wondering: does any of this mean you can have more than 8 patterns per track in a session? I saw something that made it seem like you could have 32 patterns per track but hell if I can find that video now! Was I just lost in learning/wishful thinking?

Comments

• edited June 2020
    1. When you hold shift and change sessions it can jump automatically to the new session (with different patches) and changing sessions like this can be sequenced externally (like with Cubasis)

2. I recall this chaining too but donā€™t really need it.

(PS. I only wish Circuit had global channel mutes)

• Circuit + External Sequencer = Win

• Circuit is fantastic hardware and Novations support of it is basically unrivaled. Its been over a year since the last update though, might be finalized.

• @AudioGus said:
    1. When you hold shift and change sessions it can jump automatically to the new session (with different patches) and changing sessions like this can be sequenced externally (like with Cubasis)

Aha. Creative workaround. Thank you.

• I was really into my Circuit a few years back, but havenā€™t been using it much. I just got a stand to connect it all about a week ago. My space is limited and the stand is getting the Circuit back in the mix for me. Iā€™ve always just used my own 8 synth presets or whatever that I made from scratch, so the macros are where I put them. The samples Iā€™m lazy and will either import someone elseā€™s sample pack or throw random samples in it and I really hate managing samples and generally just donā€™t. So, i might have some free 808 samples, djembe, tabla, or whatever I once downloaded.

Iā€™m working on using mine as a main sequencer for Volcas, Circuit, and AUM hosting everything with TC Helicon Blender doing all the audio into AUM. The Circuit sequencer is quick so Iā€™ll use that frequently but I need to do some routing to use something like Xequence as the Circuit sequencer is really limited.

I used to use it by itself most often. I can post some old videos of it standalone if you want.

The two questions
    1. I am very sure the answer is no you cannot change the synth patch on a step or pattern basis. Only by session. You can copy your session, switch the synth, and then either switch session or hold shift+session to make the switch instant.

1. You cannot have more than 8 patterns per track, but you can chain the patterns to up to 32 patterns chained apparently. They also say something about chaining chains of patterns themselves as well but I donā€™t know how that works. What I do know is you can say take pattern 5 and play that 8 times in a row, then do pattern 1-8 sequentially, then do pattern 3 twice, pattern 4 twice, pattern 1 twice, pattern 3 once, pattern 4 once, then pattern 8 another 8 times. That kind of thing. You just hold down shift and select the patterns.

Automation if done will only be for the 8 patterns and not for your pattern chain. I was a bit bummed when I discovered that. Itā€™s also not very good for live as you have to fiddle with all this pattern chaining non-sense.

• edited June 2020

@DMan said:
    I was really into my Circuit a few years back, but havenā€™t been using it much. I just got a stand to connect it all about a week ago. My space is limited and the stand is getting the Circuit back in the mix for me. Iā€™ve always just used my own 8 synth presets or whatever that I made from scratch, so the macros are where I put them. The samples Iā€™m lazy and will either import someone elseā€™s sample pack or throw random samples in it and I really hate managing samples and generally just donā€™t. So, i might have some free 808 samples, djembe, tabla, or whatever I once downloaded.

Iā€™m working on using mine as a main sequencer for Volcas, Circuit, and AUM hosting everything with TC Helicon Blender doing all the audio into AUM. The Circuit sequencer is quick so Iā€™ll use that frequently but I need to do some routing to use something like Xequence as the Circuit sequencer is really limited.

I used to use it by itself most often. I can post some old videos of it standalone if you want.

The two questions
    1. I am very sure the answer is no you cannot change the synth patch on a step or pattern basis. Only by session. You can copy your session, switch the synth, and then either switch session or hold shift+session to make the switch instant.

1. You cannot have more than 8 patterns per track, but you can chain the patterns to up to 32 patterns chained apparently. They also say something about chaining chains of patterns themselves as well but I donā€™t know how that works. What I do know is you can say take pattern 5 and play that 8 times in a row, then do pattern 1-8 sequentially, then do pattern 3 twice, pattern 4 twice, pattern 1 twice, pattern 3 once, pattern 4 once, then pattern 8 another 8 times. That kind of thing. You just hold down shift and select the patterns.

Automation if done will only be for the 8 patterns and not for your pattern chain. I was a bit bummed when I discovered that. Itā€™s also not very good for live as you have to fiddle with all this pattern chaining non-sense.

Wow. Thank you so much for this thoughtful and through reply. Hope the Circuit and the new stand works out! Share a picture here?

• edited June 2020

@syrupcore said:

@DMan said:
    I was really into my Circuit a few years back, but havenā€™t been using it much. I just got a stand to connect it all about a week ago. My space is limited and the stand is getting the Circuit back in the mix for me. Iā€™ve always just used my own 8 synth presets or whatever that I made from scratch, so the macros are where I put them. The samples Iā€™m lazy and will either import someone elseā€™s sample pack or throw random samples in it and I really hate managing samples and generally just donā€™t. So, i might have some free 808 samples, djembe, tabla, or whatever I once downloaded.

The two questions

Wow. Thank you so much for this thoughtful and through reply. Hope the Circuit and the new stand works out! Share a picture here?

No problem. Here is a picture. I did just put one on the Facebook I think yesterday. There was an issue with the stand and the people that make it sent out a fix for it, so I now have it fitting the Circuit perfectly after I got the new connector tubes yesterday. I just donā€™t have space to make my own stand, so I just splurged on one. Need to find something to fit the space where the 4th Volca can go and I definitely donā€™t want any of the current Volcas. Just my original 3. This stand fits 2 synths, I just have these Volca Plates on the top tier.

Of course they arenā€™t on right now and the iPad is just on the Home Screen and not currently plugged in. The iPad is getting a separate mount when I can find my tabletop mic stand base.

The only way to get this to post upright is to have it oversized, if I shrink it it keeps putting it sideways. Sorry about the large photo.

• @syrupcore
    Been digging back in to my Novation Circuit. I'm in love... finally

This ! I sold mine and now i regret a LOT ... almost sure i will buy it again at some point, especially noW, when i have mono station :-)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Good point I need to load up some quality samples into mine. I just have classic drum machines on it and I feel like Iā€™m underutilising it. The motion recording on pitch can be so much fun on right kind of samples. Speaking of which, what type of samples did you prioritise for circuit?

• Iā€™m still trying to figure out how I want to use the Circuitā€™s sequencer alongside the monostation and the LP Pro sequencer...

Agree that the pattern chaining on circuit is fiddly to use, particularly when doing it live, itā€™s easy to select a pattern and consequently lose your chain. This works far better on the LP Pro which has scene pads that you can create chains across all 4 sequencer channels.

Iā€™m still deciding on what samples to use with circuit, I have some standard type drum samples for when Iā€™m using circuit stand alone, but when part of my full setup I have other sound modules for drums, so the sample slots on circuit are begging to have vox and fx hits loaded into them.