Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone beta testing ToneStack AUV3?

I'm sorry for starting the whole new thread on the topic but I'm on the lookout for a guitar multi-effect AU and can't find any apart from tonebridge which is a bit weird to use. I love what I'm getting from Tonestack so would ideally see that cropping up first.

Comments

• @supadom said:
    I'm sorry for starting the whole new thread on the topic but I'm on the lookout for a guitar multi-effect AU and can't find any apart from tonebridge which is a bit weird to use. I love what I'm getting from Tonestack so would ideally see that cropping up first.

So far your other options for AU multi-effects for guitar are Stark or iFX Rack.
    They are not as great as Tonestack, Bias FX, Ge Labs etc., but at least they are AUv3 With lots of FX and some acceptable guitar amp simulations. Not the best guitar amp tones thoigh in my opinion. But iFX Rack also has an IR cab loader as an IAP, which is decent.

• Nothing like Nembrini into my favorite GC plugins. It’s like Tonestacl on steroids. Just saying Blackhole, atmosphere reverb, delay3000, RE-1 it’s the modular guitar AUv3 workflow I always wanted

• @david_2017 said:
    Nothing like Nembrini into my favorite GC plugins. It’s like Tonestacl on steroids. Just saying Blackhole, atmosphere reverb, delay3000, RE-1 it’s the modular guitar AUv3 workflow I always wanted

Good point, albeit I forgot to add lightweight which I think Tonestack manages quite admirably. I'm trying to avoid IR as I've heard it isn't too easy on the CPU.

• edited June 2020

I love (AU, but never felt the need for guitar amp sims. It’s not like I’m tweaking anything as I play. IAA is just fine.

For re-amping already-recorded parts, I see the point more, but at that stage I’m usually way past any FX that guitar apps have to offer, and into the weirder stuff.

EDIT: I just realized this was a classic “Your question is wrong” forum post. Sorry about that. 🤪

• @mistercharlie said:
    I love (AU, but never felt the need for guitar amp sims. It’s not like I’m tweaking anything as I play. IAA is just fine.

For re-amping already-recorded parts, I see the point more, but at that stage I’m usually way past any FX that guitar apps have to offer, and into the weirder stuff.

EDIT: I just realized this was a classic “Your question is wrong” forum post. Sorry about that. 🤪

I'm only asking because at times I'm getting a weird behaviour from tonestack which basically makes all of the system sounds go a bit matrixy, you know, when Neo gets into the system of ones and zeros. I'm just hoping that the new version would not do that and be generally more stable.

I don't know how accurate tonestack is in terms of reproduction of existing gear but I just find it very musical and blends well with everything else. I'm especially in awe of the octaver pedal which is superb at detecting pitch and never wobbles like others, even when playing chords.

• ToneStack is my favorite of all the amp sims, and I like its FX a lot. I switched to an amp-sim pedal instead (Ethos Clean), and never went back.

I’m tempted by the Nembrini apps though. Have you tried any of those?

• edited June 2020

@mistercharlie said:
    ToneStack is my favorite of all the amp sims, and I like its FX a lot. I switched to an amp-sim pedal instead (Ethos Clean), and never went back.

I’m tempted by the Nembrini apps though. Have you tried any of those?

Ha yes, I’ve been thinking hardware and tried joyo California and have used Zoom G3xn and I’m about to buy Vox Tonelab ST. The thing is that I’m not just a guitarist so I don’t want to go with separate effects. Joyo sounds good but then I’ll need a spring reverb and cab sim and ideally two inputs on my interface to keep it in stereo, power supply etc etc. Software package like TS solves so many problems and sounds good.

I’ve tried Nembrini freebie one Crunck or whatever it’s called and I like it but it has no reverb and has some digital artefacts on long fading notes. I also have psa 1000 jr but couldn’t quite dial in what I wanted I.e. clean that goes crunchy when hit hard. Again, same problem, I’d need another app for reverb, another app for octaver, another app for fuzz, tape delay etc, etc. and a real possibility of my ram maxing out or apps not loading correctly in Audiobus. Basically I’m trying to keep it simple and ToneStack provided just that. Great midi implementation as well...

• There is also Guitar Rack from tc-helicon.
    You have to unlock it with their GoGuitar Pro usb interface.
    Thing is around $100, but reviews for the interface are pretty good.

But the app is AU and you can try some of it for free.

• @supadom said:

I’ve tried Nembrini freebie one Crunck or whatever it’s called and I like it but it has no reverb and has some digital artefacts on long fading notes.

I would have thought that the point of an AU amp sim is so you can pick and choose other AU FX. Otherwise why not just stay in ToneStack and record the output via IAA?

• @mistercharlie said:

@supadom said:

I’ve tried Nembrini freebie one Crunck or whatever it’s called and I like it but it has no reverb and has some digital artefacts on long fading notes.

I would have thought that the point of an AU amp sim is so you can pick and choose other AU FX. Otherwise why not just stay in ToneStack and record the output via IAA?

Exactly because they don’t always behave as expected. Otherwise it’s I’m absolutely fine with them ;)

• @supadom said:

@david_2017 said:
    Nothing like Nembrini into my favorite GC plugins. It’s like Tonestacl on steroids. Just saying Blackhole, atmosphere reverb, delay3000, RE-1 it’s the modular guitar AUv3 workflow I always wanted

Good point, albeit I forgot to add lightweight which I think Tonestack manages quite admirably. I'm trying to avoid IR as I've heard it isn't too easy on the CPU.

Short IRs (speaker cab IRs are very short) don't have a lot of CPU load. Long IRs (like those used for reverb) use up a fair amount of CPU.

• Yes, albeit not guitar specific. I can do most of it in Drambo tbh.

• @supadom - you mention Tonestack AU beta testing. Were you just assuming such a thing exists, or do you have information that it does? I've only heard that Tonestack might go AU some day, not that it's an actual thing. Coulda' missed it tho.

On a side note, I've had great results using miRack as an AU guitar processor. There are some surprisingly nice amp sims in the NYSTHI modules, and of course a good variety of effects. Not as many models and FX as ToneStack, but not bad.

The other route is Channel Presets in AUM. String together your favorite amp sim and FX, then save it as a channel preset. The Nembrini apps have pretty good built-in cab modeling. Thaknar seems pretty efficient for cab emulation. I wonder, if one totals up the overhead for Tonestack, how that compares to an AU setup with IR loader. Might not be quite as much difference as it seems.

But yeh ... ToneStack has always been my go-to. It just sounds really nice to my ears.

• @wim I was just hoping that it was in late development 😬

@mistercharlie I think this discussion is within remit of stomp boxes vs multi-effect pedals. I am definitely in the multieffect category because I need to recall a set of effects with a push of a switch. This gets quite complicated if you have several AUs in the chain because most likely you’ll need to use host presets to do that. This, I think, presents stability risks but also gets confusing in terms of how many versions of the same session preset you’re going to need, similar to stomp boxes requiring loops to switch between combinations.

• @supadom Fair enough. I love AUM, but my uses are very basic. The more complex I make things, the easier they break, and then my guitar inspiration evaporates.

I use an amp sim pedal, an H9, a Hudson Broadcast, plus a hall of fame reverb as an insert on my Mackie mixer. Anything else I usually do in post, or when I'm in an experimental mood.

• @supadom said:
    @wim I was just hoping that it was in late development 😬

@mistercharlie I think this discussion is within remit of stomp boxes vs multi-effect pedals. I am definitely in the multieffect category because I need to recall a set of effects with a push of a switch. This gets quite complicated if you have several AUs in the chain because most likely you’ll need to use host presets to do that. This, I think, presents stability risks but also gets confusing in terms of how many versions of the same session preset you’re going to need, similar to stomp boxes requiring loops to switch between combinations.

Sounds like NuRack might be worth looking at. I don't know how good the FX are, but it's designed for compacting a lot of FX into one AU, and seems to be strongly designed around smooth switching. You'd probably want to use a more specialized amp sim, but for the FX chain it might be an option.

• @supadom said:

Yes, albeit not guitar specific. I can do most of it in Drambo tbh.

Maybe not it marketing strategy, but why would it matter with effects?
    I never considered effects to work with only specific sound sources, I’m always open to try anything anything.

But I suppose you may have your specific needs.

• @CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

I never considered effects to work with only specific sound sources, I’m always open to try anything anything.

Well, not the delays, choruses or distortions but amp and sims most likely are albeit I can see people using those on other sources too.

I’m only dismissing it because I’d still have to put amp/cab sim before which defies the point of an all in one TS style solution.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

• @supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

Well, not the delays, choruses or distortions but amp and sims most likely are albeit I can see people using those on other sources too.

I’m only dismissing it because I’d still have to put amp/cab sim before which defies the point of an all in one TS style solution.

He added a Tube OD in the last update, which helps, but probably won’t cut it as an amp substitute.
    If he added an IR module, you could run your own amp sims in it.
    That would be awesome.

• @CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

He added a Tube OD in the last update, which helps, but probably won’t cut it as an amp substitute.
    That would be awesome.

IRs can simulate cabinets but not amps.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

That would be awesome.

Yeah, and that is where the tone comes from.

• @CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

That would be awesome.

In my experience, tone actually comes from the fingers. ;)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

That would be awesome.

Yeah, I could use some of them. That’s why I buy all the app sims out there. I keep hoping that it’ll make up for my guitar playing deficiencies. It doesn’t really help, but sometime it eases the pain a bit.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

That would be awesome.

My fingers just make percussive sounds.
    Snaps, taps, drumming on the table, etc.

But if you can hear guitar coming out of your fingers, then you have something special.
    😁

• @CracklePot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

That would be awesome.

My fingers just make percussive sounds.
    Snaps, taps, drumming on the table, etc.

But if you can hear guitar coming out of your fingers, then you have something special.
    😁

LOL.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

That would be awesome.

So, seriously. While it is true that one's ability INFLUENCES tone, tone is the marriage of the player and the equipment. It is true that great players will still sound better on crappy equipment than players that aren't great. But there is a reason why many great electric players put a ton of time and effort into figuring out there equipment and experimenting until they get the sound they want.

• @espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

@CracklePot said:

@supadom said:

That would be awesome.

So, seriously. While it is true that one's ability INFLUENCES tone, tone is the marriage of the player and the equipment. It is true that great players will still sound better on crappy equipment than players that aren't great. But there is a reason why many great electric players put a ton of time and effort into figuring out there equipment and experimenting until they get the sound they want.

For sure. I was being purposely cheeky for fun. However...

I once was in my favorite music shop, which happened to be next door to a bustling music venue in my city, and BB King was in the store with his guitar tech. I am not a fan of Mr King but recognize his talent. In any case, his tech was talking with the shop manager about some amp part he needed, so Mr King wandered over to a rack of guitars and pulled down a ridiculous cheap Chinese pointy metal guitar and plugged it into some forgettable solid state amp just below where he took down the guitar. It was clear that he just chose guitar and amp randomly. And then he started playing...

And you know how the story ends, right?

• So we could agree that a good guitar won’t save a shit player but will make good guitarist better.

There’s also the story of Keith Jarrett in Köln.

https://timharford.com/2019/12/cautionary-tales-ep-7-bowie-jazz-and-the-unplayable-piano/

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I am not a fan of Mr King but ...

... finger hovers over the ignore button. :p