Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT - In praise of Bandcamp

Nice article here from the Guardian:

Good vibrations: how Bandcamp became the heroes of streaming

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/25/bandcamp-music-streaming-ethan-diamond-online-royalties?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Notepad

Comments

• Yeah they're great, it's shame that the public aren't more aware of them. And a nice quote from Damon Krukowski who is my favourite drummer of all time.

• I found myself in the same place.
    I bought albums like crazy during this year and now I don’t need any Deezer Spotify and those buds anymore for my ambient needs. I love Bandcamp! 👍🏼
    If only the app would allow downloading purchased albums

• Yeah another fan of Bandcamp here. I usually sell bugger all, but it's a handy place for focusing your output.

• Great article. I have to confess that I only have used bandcamp for physical releases so far. I am not a fan of downloads only. The subscription model with exclusive content is a bit weird but interesting.

• Ditto. BandCamp has allowed me to publish fourteen albums free. It’s not a sales generator (I give it away and I’m not a pro)) but it’s a wonderful archiving tool. SoundCloud charges $150 and that, for me, is a total bargain, but it goes away if you don’t pay up. Not so with BandCamp l

• @LinearLineman said:
    Ditto. BandCamp has allowed me to publish fourteen albums free. It’s not a sales generator (I give it away and I’m not a pro)) but it’s a wonderful archiving tool. SoundCloud charges $150 and that, for me, is a total bargain, but it goes away if you don’t pay up. Not so with BandCamp l

I just started researching BC. If you post “free” albums, can a “user” play them without cost? I’m not thrilled with the limitations of soundcloud either because it feels like you’re always managing space. Also, can you post a link HERE for example and have people be able to listen to it? Is there an “embedding”-type feature? I think i’ll sign up today to see what’s going on.

• @motmeister, here’s my bc site. You can listen and/or download anything freev(you set the cost of each track or album). Your upload size is limited until you sell $40 (I think), but even without that you just upload FLAC or AIFF files. After the $40 I started loading wav files. I think you get 250 free downloads per track or album, but check on that.

https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/

• @LinearLineman said:
    @motmeister, here’s my bc site. You can listen and/or download anything freev(you set the cost of each track or album). Your upload size is limited until you sell $40 (I think), but even without that you just upload FLAC or AIFF files. After the $40 I started loading wav files. I think you get 250 free downloads per track or album, but check on that.

https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/

Thx! I have an account now, and i reviewed what i have on soundcloud to pick things to upload. I’m about to upload my first...

• @LinearLineman So after 250 free downloads the "pay your price" option vanishes and it reverts to a default price?

• @Jonny8, sorry, don’5 know.

• After reading all the fine print, bandcamp requires a pro subscription in order to share cover tracks privately. Sharing them publicly exposes me to the risk of copyright infringement, even though i’m not selling my music. That risk is present in soundcloud as well. I don’t care to go down the rathole of the legal considerations, so if I want to share with family/friends, I need another delivery method that shields me. I have a NAS that provides the ability to share links to my files, so perhaps this is the answer, but the user on the other end (my non-tech-savvy aunt in Podunk?) has the burden of figuring out how to download and play, rather than stream. After all is said and done, to stay on topic here, the plus is that bandcamp is GREAT if you create original content, and i’ll look through my stuff and upload those things i’ve actually written. But it won’t be much help to store my whole catalog and keep track of it.

In the process of researching, I can see where this could all be solved by paying the “mechanical license” fee, which is very reasonable. The nightmare is figuring out to whom and how much. There are sites that will do it for you for a fee (they’re often subscription sites), but then what starts off as an innocent objective of playing music for friends becomes financially prohibitive.

I’ll use BC for its intended purpose, but if my only reason for switching from soundcloud is to get more space, the effort isn’t worth it. Perhaps i was rambling, but i’ll bet i’m not the only person (even here) who has these thoughts.

• i also like bandcamp more and more. we did upload a little something few months ago, and will keep on with this comp...

https://miandlau.bandcamp.com/

• Am I better off there than with Distrokid? I’m considering dumping my Distrokid account and letting all my works go limited edition (ie, you can’t get it now). I was never in favour of things like that Choon blockchain thing, I liked the blockchain aspect, but disliked the total lack of working with established industry considerations like performing rights collection, charts, all that mature stuff the record industry has grown over the decades.