Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midifire Blue velvet adds up to 24 midi notes controls to Blueboard

edited November 2018 in General App Discussion

Hi all!!

I’ve asked Nic the Midifire guy to help me with my wish to add more midi notes controls to BlueBoard pedalboard.

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/midifire/id906600872?mt=8

He wrote a Streambyter set of rules available in Midifire under « Blue Velvet » name in scene club.

It allows for: single tap, hold, double tap, single tap + hold, triple tap, double tap + hold for each BlueBoard button. It’s a total of 24 actions in Loopy, Ableton Live or any other live music app which supports midi notes midi control. Crazy stuff!!!

I’ve also asked for a custom set of rules for Ableton Live which allow me to use round robin action by taps/double taps to change presets in effects racks using dummy clips :smile:

Next step is a set of rules which allow to remap notes to CC to use some BlueBoard actions to control some things in AUM like effects sends etc.

Here is the topic on their board:

http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/567/script-ableton-live-control-blueboard?page=1

BIG THANKS TO NIC FOR HIS HELP ;) ;) ;)

BTW: Windows 10 PC users can use BlueBoard via their iPhone/iPad using Studiomux or rtp midi which works via WiFi or LAN over usb if you set your iPhone to share its connection with your Windows machine B) https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Enjoy, hope all of this this can be useful!!

Comments

• @Janosax said:
    Hi all!!

I’ve asked Nic the Midifire guy to help me with my wish to add more midi notes controls to BlueBoard pedalboard.

He wrote a Streambyter set of rules available in Midifire under « Blue Velvet » name in scene club.

It allows for: single tap, hold, double tap, single tap + hold, triple tap, double tap + hold for each BlueBoard button. It’s a total of 24 actions in Loopy, Ableton Live or any other live music app which supports midi notes midi control. Crazy stuff!!!

I’ve also asked for a custom set of rules for Ableton Live which allow me to use round robin action by taps/double taps to change presets in effects racks using dummy clips :smile:

Next step is a set of rules which allow to remap notes to CC to use some BlueBoard actions to control some things in AUM like effects sends etc.

http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/567/script-ableton-live-control-blueboard?page=1

BTW: Windows 10 PC users can use BlueBoard via their iPhone/iPad using Studiomux or rtp midi which works via WiFi or LAN over usb if you set your iPhone to share its connection with your Windows machine B) https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Thanks for asking for this and to Nic for making the script.
    I think we've only scratch the surface of what StreamByter can do for performing musicians and using pedals is a real key to hands free control.

Now we need to teach/encourage a bunch of musician's to write scripts and let "a thousand flowers bloom".

Of course a simpler StreamByter coding "language" would be a good help too. Programmer's in college are all taught to write "Domain Specific Languages" (DSL's) so the talent is out there to make us a Language Converter to "code complete" StreamByter scripts. Maybe one will stumble onto this thread and make an App as a coding exercise... programmers are always looking for users with real problems to use their work.

For us writing StreamByter code is too tricky without the list of missing elements @_Ki pointed out in a comment:

There are no user-defined functions, to nested loops, the if
    control structure does not have an ‚else‘ part. And you only
    have two labels to output debugging values.

Thats why i did the development in a higher language, and
    converted the already tested and running code to a more
    restricted control structure.

A DSL for us to use could bridge this chasm similar to how @_Ki wrote his script in a better language and hand coverted the logic to the StreamByter instructions. A DSL usually automates that conversion process from human readable instructions to machine readable code.

• edited November 2018

@McDtracy said:

@Janosax said:
    Hi all!!

Thanks for asking for this and to Nic for making the script.
    I think we've only scratch the surface of what StreamByter can do for performing musicians and using pedals is a real key to hands free control.

Now we need to teach/encourage a bunch of musician's to write scripts and let "a thousand flowers bloom".

Of course a simpler StreamByter coding "language" would be a good help too. Programmer's in college are all taught to write "Domain Specific Languages" (DSL's) so the talent is out there to make us a Language Converter to "code complete" StreamByter scripts. Maybe one will stumble onto this thread and make an App as a coding exercise... programmers are always looking for users with real problems to use their work.

For us writing StreamByter code is too tricky without the list of missing elements @_Ki pointed out in a comment:

There are no user-defined functions, to nested loops, the if
    control structure does not have an ‚else‘ part. And you only
    have two labels to output debugging values.

Thats why i did the development in a higher language, and
    converted the already tested and running code to a more
    restricted control structure.

A DSL for us to use could bridge this chasm similar to how @_Ki wrote his script in a better language and hand coverted the logic to the StreamByter instructions. A DSL usually automates that conversion process from human readable instructions to machine readable code.

Yes that’s true. All midi thinking is absolutely clear in my head, no issues with that, but I’ve zero coding skills. I’ve got lot of ideas but don’t know how to write things. Should be better for me to know as I like much more doing everything by myself and being autonomous. Especially because in that case the app has its cost but all coding stuff is provided for free by Audeonic. Can’t see myself asking again and again for some rules writing. But again, big thanks to Nic!!

• edited November 2018

REQUEST FOR PROGRAMMERS: Make us a DSL (Domain Specific Language) translator tool that generates StreamByter code from human readable/editable source code.

Maybe on a Website? or in an App?

Use MIDI words like Channel, Note, Volume, Controller, Range, From, To, If-Then-Else, Equals, etc.

I'm sure it would be a useful exercise and good for your resume... in other words a contribution to the musical commons.

This is what StreamByter code looks like:

IF LOAD

COMMENT: K0: note chan, ctl CC/chan, ctl CC val

ASS K0 = 00 B0 13

COMMENT: L0: current delta, note on, note off

ASS L0 = 00
    MAT L1 = 90 + K0
    MAT L2 = 80 + K0
    SET LB0 L0 +D
    END

It's a DSL already just a very "machine level" design. Like MIDI Assembler code.

• Wow, that is very cool. Nicely done.

• @McDtracy said:
    REQUEST FOR PROGRAMMERS: Make us a DSL (Domain Specific Language) translator tool that generates StreamByter code from human readable/editable source code.

Use MIDI words like Channel, Note, Volume, Controller, Range, From, To, If-Then-Else, Equals, etc.

I'm sure it would be a useful exercise and good for your resume... in other words a contribution to the musical commons.

IF LOAD

ASS K0 = 00 B0 13

ASS L0 = 00
    MAT L1 = 90 + K0
    MAT L2 = 80 + K0
    SET LB0 L0 +D
    END

It's a DSL already just a very "machine level" design. Like MIDI Assembler code.

+1000 so frustrating to have all those ideas in head and not knowing the language. Human translator should be the best way to go.

• @Janosax said:

@McDtracy said:

IF LOAD

ASS K0 = 00 B0 13

ASS L0 = 00
    MAT L1 = 90 + K0
    MAT L2 = 80 + K0
    SET LB0 L0 +D
    END

+1000 so frustrating to have all those ideas in head and not knowing the language. Human translator should be the best way to go.

This humanizing of computer technology has happened across the industry by creating "interpreters" for lower level computer machine languages:

SQL for database access
    Scripting languages like BASIC, Python, Swift

There are even programmer tools to make new ones easier called "Compiler Compilers". You create new "statement syntax" using more human relatable "tokens" and operators that get converted into the lower languages statements more easily.

Skills with the lower level languages however do make a programmer more valuable and difficult to replace because like StreamByter they are beyond most of us due to a lack in interest in mastering the arcane details to make useful programs. It's the debugging of the work that typically tells us "This is not for you."

But writing compiler/compilers or DSL's is also an incredibly valuable resume skill and having code to show at an interview and users testing the code would insure more credibility for a programming hire.

If you love puzzles MidiFire gives to a great code creation/debug and execution suite of tools for MIDI programming.

Some of the great programmer's i hostory actually studied in other fields and gravitated to programming to find deep mental flow work. It's like mastering Chess to program at a high-level.

• Here is my basic BlueBoard 24 actions fully workable MidiFire scene:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8gwbxgsd4fg9nx/Scene-Jsx BlueVelvet 24 actions.mfr?dl=0

• @McDtracy While I do appreciate a more human readable language to generate code for apps like StreamByter, it would be better if there were a way for those programmers to be compensated directly rather than as something to be added to their resume. To me this seems too similar to businesses asking musicians to play for free because they’ll get good publicity. The devaluation of the artist’s work seems to be extending to those who make tools for artists as well.

In any case with such a niche markets as a DSL for StreamByter code, I think there wouldn’t be enough money to make creating such a product economically viable though I would appreciate such a tool.

I hope Apple will start to invest more money into tools to make the lives of developers easier to help subsidize the low economic return on their invest in niche markets like music creation.

• @InfoCheck said:
    t would be better if there were a way for those programmers to be compensated directly rather than as something to be added to their resume.

There is a way for programmers to profit from IOS apps.

In any case with such a niche markets as a DSL for StreamByter code, I think there wouldn’t be enough money

Bingo. This particular need tis too niche to be serviced.

I hope Apple will start to invest more money into tools to make the lives of developers

You should see the tools Apple offers developers to make products. Just Google Xcode.
    It it completely free. With about an hours worth of effort I had the AudioKit Synth One running on my MacBook in the iPad emulator and did not pay 1 cent for that support from Apple.

So, to summarize:

StreamByter is beyond the skills of most IOS Users
    Creating a BASIC front end to program streambyter is a great idea
    But making one would not produce any revenue to make it attractive

In the world of Open Source programmers create tools and make the source available for other developers to use. That's what AudioKit is... an Open Source tool for IOS music development. The number of apps we buy using this code base is growing.

Programmers coming out of school create open source "products" and use them to show their competancy to pass the interview process at Google, Apple, IBM, ...

I'm pushing an idea. The idea is NOT to ask Programmers to be slaves that toil for no return. There is a return in making a DSL for us. The benefits of making this tool for us include:

A User Base that will provide feedback on the effort
    A "product" that can be used as evidence of programming capability
    Experience making a DSL - which is an area of programming that is very important for business since they need similar products for the business apps

So, programmers have every right to ignore me and say... forget it. And they have been doing so since I've been ringing this gong for 3 months.

But there are signs that this might be resolved and I'll get what I'm hoping for.

NOTE: This feature could also be created by Audeonics but they are a very small shop with limited resources but they are making steady improvements of their products with input from the "power" users like @_Ki. They will probably add the ELSE clause to the IF statement which is great. Adding additional statements like CASE and maybe some type of FUNCTION CALL would make it better for programming complex "scripts" (I won't call them Apps anymore).

Did you live the the era of the Apple II? Do you remember BASIC? That's all I'm asking for is a scripting tool similar to BASIC for everyone to take a shot at programming MIDI. All we have right now are MIDI BlackBoxes and the overly difficult StreamByter language.
    The technology will evolve but only with users asking for better tools.

I'm not asking for anyone to compete with Audeonics because what they have made is incredibly powerful and their support team is small but responsive.

I think this will be the year StreamByter takes off due to the efforts a few talented users that share their projects with us all. I have both StreamByter and Midifire on my IOS devices and my Mac and as a scripter I have had a lot of fun fixing MIDI problems like reversing the polarity of a sustain pedal that doesn't have a polarity switch. And I'm just getting started. I only have about a dozen scripts under my belt. I KNOW that without developing scripts using other Open Source languages like Perl, Python, Ruby, Javascript, and Expect/TCL I would never be able to understand where to start. But when you make a script that solves a problem or make someone elses life better it's a feeling you'll never forget.

This script @JanoSax is sharing was made to solve his performance issues and shared because that's what Open Source is all about and it can be based up commercial products like Audeonic's StreamByter.

We could also consider pushing for Apple Swift MIDI tools.

• edited January 2019

@InfoCheck I agree with that. In fact, I’m not at ease with asking too much help, so I’ve asked Nic from Midifire if he wanted me to pay for his scripting. He answered he was ok to giving some scripting as an extension of app price. But if I need more help, I will force him to accept my money!!! I’m a musician, not a coder, but a respect his work and need what MidiFire offers to my music setup. Great man, great app!!

• There are many businesses that are based on service as much as the initial investment in code. I think the way to make sure Nic gets paid are all related to the network effect, which is already happening nicely in the ecosystem but we all must remember to update our reviews in the App Store!

But, if a beginner writes a glowing review and says glowing things on the Audeonic forums or here on the AB forum, that's a good start. If the beginner gets better at scripting and helps the ecosystem by contributing scripts like we've seen recently, that takes the burden off of Nic. Then other people with similar problems ("I've got a BlueBoard I want to use more effectively") see the solution script via a Google search and the cycle continues.

Sure, it's a niche but it becomes a sustainable niche over time.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    There are many businesses that are based on service

Nic’s service is amazing. I’d rather see him coding new features that user scripts but that the fact that he does it outstanding. He also answers any question you can ask.

But, if a beginner writes a glowing review

Beginners are in for a period of frustration learning to write code at this level so his reviews can never be 5 average I suspect.

• edited January 2019

Nic said he’s satisfied with coding user scripts as he often use them to create new scenes for online MidiFire scenes club. He certainly also has some ideas to extend its MidiFire concept (I’m sure of that!!) :)

For those who don’t know well MidiFire, look at what this app is capable of:

I’d like to learn coding, I have huge musical needs, but not enough spare time to do everything, so it will take one or two years to gain MidiFire autonomy :D

• @McDtracy said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Nic’s service is amazing. I’d rather see him coding new features that user scripts but that the fact that he does it outstanding. He also answers any question you can ask.

Beginners are in for a period of frustration learning to write code at this level so his reviews can never be 5 average I suspect.

Sure, that is true. But if Nic or someone else helps that beginner do that one thing that no other app can do then I bet five star reviews are the norm.

• edited January 2019

@McDtracy said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

While I appreciate what Audeonic's apps are giving to us it is absolutely beyond me why he doesn't simply code an app that is just usable by anyone. Surely the time he is spending working on bits of code requested by users would have been better spent making an app like audiobus or AUM. Imagine if you had to code to use those apps? It would be a nightmare for everyone involved with Michael and Jonathan sitting behind a help desk solving micro riddles.

Expecting everyone to learn to code in order to make music is beyond ridiculous and akin to having to learn Japanese in order to read Japanese books. Let coders code, translators translate and musicians play music.

With scarcity of solutions in this area I'm thankful for your effort @Janosax to share this with us. I'm sure hyper excited about the tap and a long press and the rest of them clever tricks.

Im following this for sure.

Cheers

• edited January 2019

I not consider myself as a beginner concerning music and laptop or iOS software. It was my initiative to ask Nic for help in this BlueBoard project. I needed multiple taps actions, round robin feature for presets change, ability to send CC with ramp up/down, CC randomizer... and Nic wrote the code for me. If I were able to code myself, I shouldn’t ask for help. This was in MidiFire package, and it’s nice, I even asked him before buying the app. I have no issues with complex routings or apps interconnexion, I’ve done a few video tutorials which illustrate it. Coding is a whole another story, as it’s a full work which needs training, this is why I respect devs work. If MidiFire was a codeless app, I will have done everything by myself as I don’t like to depend on others. This is my only frustration with the app. I’ve given 5 stars to the app because I’m satisfied with the whole experience. Of course, if the app get abandonned one day, I’m done :D

@supadom cool you appreciate my sharing, hope you’ll find some cool usage of all of this!!

• @McDtracy said:

@InfoCheck said:
    t would be better if there were a way for those programmers to be compensated directly rather than as something to be added to their resume.

There is a way for programmers to profit from IOS apps.

In any case with such a niche markets as a DSL for StreamByter code, I think there wouldn’t be enough money

Bingo. This particular need tis too niche to be serviced.

I hope Apple will start to invest more money into tools to make the lives of developers

You should see the tools Apple offers developers to make products. Just Google Xcode.
    It it completely free. With about an hours worth of effort I had the AudioKit Synth One running on my MacBook in the iPad emulator and did not pay 1 cent for that support from Apple.

So, to summarize:

StreamByter is beyond the skills of most IOS Users
    Creating a BASIC front end to program streambyter is a great idea
    But making one would not produce any revenue to make it attractive

In the world of Open Source programmers create tools and make the source available for other developers to use. That's what AudioKit is... an Open Source tool for IOS music development. The number of apps we buy using this code base is growing.

Programmers coming out of school create open source "products" and use them to show their competancy to pass the interview process at Google, Apple, IBM, ...

I'm pushing an idea. The idea is NOT to ask Programmers to be slaves that toil for no return. There is a return in making a DSL for us. The benefits of making this tool for us include:

A User Base that will provide feedback on the effort
    A "product" that can be used as evidence of programming capability
    Experience making a DSL - which is an area of programming that is very important for business since they need similar products for the business apps

So, programmers have every right to ignore me and say... forget it. And they have been doing so since I've been ringing this gong for 3 months.

But there are signs that this might be resolved and I'll get what I'm hoping for.

NOTE: This feature could also be created by Audeonics but they are a very small shop with limited resources but they are making steady improvements of their products with input from the "power" users like @_Ki. They will probably add the ELSE clause to the IF statement which is great. Adding additional statements like CASE and maybe some type of FUNCTION CALL would make it better for programming complex "scripts" (I won't call them Apps anymore).

Did you live the the era of the Apple II? Do you remember BASIC? That's all I'm asking for is a scripting tool similar to BASIC for everyone to take a shot at programming MIDI. All we have right now are MIDI BlackBoxes and the overly difficult StreamByter language.
    The technology will evolve but only with users asking for better tools.

I'm not asking for anyone to compete with Audeonics because what they have made is incredibly powerful and their support team is small but responsive.

I think this will be the year StreamByter takes off due to the efforts a few talented users that share their projects with us all. I have both StreamByter and Midifire on my IOS devices and my Mac and as a scripter I have had a lot of fun fixing MIDI problems like reversing the polarity of a sustain pedal that doesn't have a polarity switch. And I'm just getting started. I only have about a dozen scripts under my belt. I KNOW that without developing scripts using other Open Source languages like Perl, Python, Ruby, Javascript, and Expect/TCL I would never be able to understand where to start. But when you make a script that solves a problem or make someone elses life better it's a feeling you'll never forget.

This script @JanoSax is sharing was made to solve his performance issues and shared because that's what Open Source is all about and it can be based up commercial products like Audeonic's StreamByter.

We could also consider pushing for Apple Swift MIDI tools.

+1 for adding MIDI tools to Swift.

While Apple does a lot to support audio developers, I selfishly think they could have done more.

IAA still has some issues with stability and consistency issues. My belief is that with even more support from Apple, there would have been fewer issues.

The AudioKit developers have done a good job of building up and publicizing their codebase to significantly reduce the barrier to entry for many would be iOS developers.

The fact that AU has been out for several years yet the AudioKit team is just now nearing the finish line to produce a synth with AU leads me to conclude it’s been a tough nut to crack and polish so that it could be incorporated into their codebase. Once again, if Apple had invested more in documenting and otherwise supporting their AU audio coding infrastructure, I believe it wouldn’t have taken the AudioKit team as long.

Given the niche nature of music creation apps versus big sellers like game apps within the context of Apple’s shareholder driven environment, my desires may very well be unrealistic nevertheless, It doesn’t prevent me from expressing them here or to Apple via their feedback page as music creation is the only reason why I’ve purchased iOS devices.

The future of iOS music creation apps seems to rest upon a continued investment by Apple and the efforts of open source developers like AudioKit as the market becomes more saturated with music apps and few developers seem to be able to receive a full time income from music creation apps. There have been many iOS music creation app developers who have come and gone over the years. Many developers create apps as side projects so the more support they receive, the more likely they will be in a position to create and update apps for us.

• edited January 2019

Perhaps a specific thread could be opened to talk about all of those questions? Or this one will become unreadable.. It should be much more appropriate to post here about BlueBoard extended capabilities via MidiFire, and what the combo is able to offer from a musical perspective. Don’t hesitate to ask me questions about that :)

• For the records: Blue Velvet needs a BlueBoard with upgraded firmware. I had huge troubles to get this done, so I created a new topic with extensive explanations here: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24780

Maybe it is useful to someone.

Cheers.

• @Janosax posted this a while ago, and was wondering if he could one again make it available in DropBox?

@Janosax said:
    Here is my basic BlueBoard 24 actions fully workable MidiFire scene:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8gwbxgsd4fg9nx/Scene-Jsx BlueVelvet 24 actions.mfr?dl=0

Thank you in advance!

• @Janosax If this is actually the same Blue Velvet file available in the app, please disregard... 😉

• edited June 2020

@josh83 @SNystrom here is my basic 24 actions MidiFire Scene:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wMuoFHmPCUiHWiWD9MlckI4jKw7Q8kfl/view?usp=drivesdk

BlueBoard needs to be started in BT midi note mode (hold button B while powering ON, do it only first time). Then each button will be able to send 6 different notes depending on the action. In Blue Velvet module are set timeouts (0.6 and 0.8 works well), in Custom module are set all the actions. Keep in mind that almost everything can be done when adding other modules. I have advanced scenes with midi note to CC conversions, round robin for presets triggering, etc... an advantage IMO of midi note mode over CC mode is ability for easy transposition or midi sequencing, that can be very useful.

• Damn, that massive routing is giving me vertigo! 😂

Thank you for the guide, though...

• Do you only use this with your sax?

I was searching YouTube, and found this guy experimenting with MidiFire with a synth.

I can visualize tons of new options for musicians of all types using these tools! Sadly I only have one expression pedal at the moment.

• heshes
    edited June 2020

@McDtracy said:

It won't convert to StreamByter, but isn't writing a similar script in Mozaic pretty much what you're asking for? No need to convert to StreamByter because it then just runs in Mozaic. Or does StreamByter do something I'm not aware of that can't be done in Mozaic?

EDIT: Just noticed that specific post I was replying to is a year-and-a-half old. I wonder whether there are now some scripts available for Mozaic that are similar to what this StreamByter script did with Blueboard.

• edited June 2020

One big MidiFire advantage is low cpu usage. It’s also super stable. Midi scenes loading is super convenient. I have a scene per song for a full set, each one does different things, like triggering different effects or GroupTheLoop actions. In short, with MidiFire I can control via BlueBoard GTL actions, AUM effects snapshots (bypass or effects presets, all via round robin with each note converted to multiple CC states), Thumbjam PC for audio to midi feature, but also NanoKEY Studio which control GTL and AudioLayer. I load MidiFire Scenes, GTL songs, AUM various AUV3 presets and Thumbjam presets (one note for one song whole setup) via Velocity Keyboard drum pads on a secondary remote iPhone via Bluetooth. My concept is for for a live setup, but you can do what you want.

• Interesting, I got Midifire some time ago, but have yet to use it. The 'scenes' do seem like a good feature. I wonder if you could combine Midifire scenes with Mozaic, i.e, plug Mozaic AUv3 instances in instead of streambyter instances in a Midifire scene.

• edited June 2020

@hes said:
    Interesting, I got Midifire some time ago, but have yet to use it. The 'scenes' do seem like a good feature. I wonder if you could combine Midifire scenes with Mozaic, i.e, plug Mozaic AUv3 instances in instead of streambyter instances in a Midifire scene.

Yes you can host any midi plugin in MidiFire including Mozaic.

• edited June 2020

@Janosax said:
    @josh83 @SNystrom here is my basic 24 actions MidiFire Scene:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wMuoFHmPCUiHWiWD9MlckI4jKw7Q8kfl/view?usp=drivesdk

BlueBoard needs to be started in BT midi note mode (hold button B while powering ON, do it only first time). Then each button will be able to send 6 different notes depending on the action. In Blue Velvet module are set timeouts (0.6 and 0.8 works well), in Custom module are set all the actions. Keep in mind that almost everything can be done when adding other modules. I have advanced scenes with midi note to CC conversions, round robin for presets triggering, etc... an advantage IMO of midi note mode over CC mode is ability for easy transposition or midi sequencing, that can be very useful.

Thank you very much! I will take a look at it soon.

@Janosax said:
    One big MidiFire advantage is low cpu usage. It’s also super stable. Midi scenes loading is super convenient. I have a scene per song for a full set, each one does different things, like triggering different effects or GroupTheLoop actions. In short, with MidiFire I can control via BlueBoard GTL actions, AUM effects snapshots (bypass or effects presets, all via round robin with each note converted to multiple CC states), Thumbjam PC for audio to midi feature, but also NanoKEY Studio which control GTL and AudioLayer. I load MidiFire Scenes, GTL songs, AUM various AUV3 presets and Thumbjam presets (one note for one song whole setup) via Velocity Keyboard drum pads on a secondary remote iPhone via Bluetooth. My concept is for for a live setup, but you can do what you want.

I would be highly interested in learning more about your experiences with controlling GTL using your BlueBoard. Can you give some basic information about your workflow? For example, do you use BlueBoard to switch to different groups and loops, and if so, how? Do you modify the clock with it? Do you record/overdub? Solo/mute? Play/pause groups? Switch AUv3 presets in AUM? Modify volume/pan/effects?

And what exactly is "round robin"? Can Midifire somehow recognise when a new loop will be recorded, so it can precisely time a specific control? For example, I have several tracks in AUM, each one loaded with a specific guitar effect (all of them using Tonebridge as AUv3). Only one of them is active, all others are muted. When recording another loop, I unmute another of the tracks, and mute the previously active one. I need to be highly precise when switching manually, so the switch happens right in between two loops, but it's prone to creating artefacts nonetheless. Can Midifire assist me here, by precisely timing (delaying) the action based on GTL's clock?

Wow, I just feel that a whole new world opens to me with BlueBoard and Midifire! I played around for months now with my Apple Keyboard, which GTL allows to configure like a MIDI controller. It's a really nice feature, but I need a hand free for using it, and it's a bit hard to place the Apple Keyboard at a reachable spot when standing and playing guitar. If I can move all time sensitive actions to the BlueBoard, I will be so much more effective! :smiley:

I'm very happy to hear from you guys. I'll be back at the computer in a few days...