Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Off topic need MacBook Pro Advice

Hey guys, I know a lot of people here are Mac users, I’m thinking of maybe diving back into the Mac world, I’m looking at the 16” MacBook Pro with the fastest processor, 32gb of ram, 1tb hard drive (have a lot of external SSD’s already) and the Logic Pro X option. It comes out to $3499.00 .. that’s $1500.00 more than my similar spec’d Dell XPS 15 9570 (which has an I7 vs the Mac’s I9 processor), is it really worth that much more? Are there any DPC latency issues or other issues I should be aware of with these latest MacBook Pro’s? Thanks

Comments

• @cloudswimmer said:
    Hey guys, I know a lot of people here are Mac users, I’m thinking of maybe diving back into the Mac world, I’m looking at the 16” MacBook Pro with the fastest processor, 32gb of ram, 1tb hard drive (have a lot of external SSD’s already) and the Logic Pro X option. It comes out to $3499.00 .. that’s $1500.00 more than my similar spec’d Dell XPS 15 9570 (which has an I7 vs the Mac’s I9 processor), is it really worth that much more? Are there any DPC latency issues or other issues I should be aware of with these latest MacBook Pro’s? Thanks

If you need to run logic, you’ll need a mac, since it doesn’t run on a PC. Same if you want to run Mac OS. Unless you try hackintosh, but if you’re looking laptop, I don’t think you want that. I tried hackintoshing a few years ago with laptops, but with all of the things you have to do, it just wasn’t worth it to me, and that would be the case on desktop as well.

With that being said, I am a big fan of used or refurbished macs. I can’t fathom the thought of a $3500 computer right now. If I was making $2k per mix, then yes. Not my world though (I wouldn’t turn it down!).

But, if the price works for you, I have read that the computer you mentioned is excellent. I’m still using a 2012 15” mbp and I don’t look forward to replacing it. To be fair, I don’t use a ton of virtual instruments, I’m mostly recording and mixing live musicians and I have an apollo x8 that handles some DSP load.

• So far I haven't heard of any issues except some heat/fan issues when connecting to one or more external displays. But I would also like to know if anyone has had any issues as I'm also planning to buy a 16"MBP soon.

• Was wondering something similar. My mac is getting old so was thinking about an upgrade.

With the announcements of new processors and Apple going for their own silicon, I decided to wait and not spend a lot of money on an Intel processor that will be obsolete in the macOS world in a few years....

• I like mine, the i9 one. Doesn’t half cook ones dick though, on occasion. I’m not doing anything strenuous on it, but I might do one day. I mainly wanted a 1tb ssd. If you don’t end up liking it, you’ll find Macs have incredible resale value, so you won’t lose much on it.

• Lol

@Jonny8 said:
    So far I haven't heard of any issues except some heat/fan issues when connecting to one or more external displays. But I would also like to know if anyone has had any issues as I'm also planning to buy a 16"MBP soon.

Hmmm .. that could be an issue as I’d definitely want to hook up a bigger monitor on occasion. Guess we’ll wait and see who else chimes in here :)

@mrufino1 said:

@cloudswimmer said:

If you need to run logic, you’ll need a mac, since it doesn’t run on a PC. Same if you want to run Mac OS. Unless you try hackintosh, but if you’re looking laptop, I don’t think you want that. I tried hackintoshing a few years ago with laptops, but with all of the things you have to do, it just wasn’t worth it to me, and that would be the case on desktop as well.

With that being said, I am a big fan of used or refurbished macs. I can’t fathom the thought of a $3500 computer right now. If I was making $2k per mix, then yes. Not my world though (I wouldn’t turn it down!).

But, if the price works for you, I have read that the computer you mentioned is excellent. I’m still using a 2012 15” mbp and I don’t look forward to replacing it. To be fair, I don’t use a ton of virtual instruments, I’m mostly recording and mixing live musicians and I have an apollo x8 that handles some DSP load.

Well I’d definitely like to try Logic Pro X, but I’ve been in the Reaper world for 10 years now with great success .. and of course it’s both Mac and PC. I’ve no plans to try and run Mac OS on a PC or Windows on a Mac .. I just want a laptop that gets out of my way for composing and recording with all my soft synths (and runs my guitar software like TH-U and Bias FX well). Most of all my VST’s have Mac installers too so I’d be set on software, but it’s the hardware itself I’m concerned about, a lot of PC laptops have DPC latency issues .. especially DELL .. especially mine (XPS 9570), I’ve had DPC issues with various PC motherboards on desktops too in the past .. and I’m getting tired of spending days removing stuff, tweaking bios’s, registry edits, etc. to try and get crackle free low latency performance, I’m hoping with a new MacBook Pro it’s pretty much plug and play for DAW use and music production.

• @cloudswimmer said:

Lol

@Jonny8 said:
    So far I haven't heard of any issues except some heat/fan issues when connecting to one or more external displays. But I would also like to know if anyone has had any issues as I'm also planning to buy a 16"MBP soon.

Hmmm .. that could be an issue as I’d definitely want to hook up a bigger monitor on occasion. Guess we’ll wait and see who else chimes in here :)

@mrufino1 said:

@cloudswimmer said:

Well I’d definitely like to try Logic Pro X, but I’ve been in the Reaper world for 10 years now with great success .. and of course it’s both Mac and PC. I’ve no plans to try and run Mac OS on a PC or Windows on a Mac .. I just want a laptop that gets out of my way for composing and recording with all my soft synths (and runs my guitar software like TH-U and Bias FX well). Most of all my VST’s have Mac installers too so I’d be set on software, but it’s the hardware itself I’m concerned about, a lot of PC laptops have DPC latency issues .. especially DELL .. especially mine (XPS 9570), I’ve had DPC issues with various PC motherboards on desktops too in the past .. and I’m getting tired of spending days removing stuff, tweaking bios’s, registry edits, etc. to try and get crackle free low latency performance, I’m hoping with a new MacBook Pro it’s pretty much plug and play for DAW use and music production.

I have never heard DPC latency discussed in reference to mac. And my music making experience has been much smoother on mac than it ever was on windows or linux. And I love reaper too, I started using it pre version 1. I still use it on occasion. Great program with a great developer.

• I have never heard DPC latency discussed in reference to mac. And my music making experience has been much smoother on mac than it ever was on windows or linux. And I love reaper too, I started using it pre version 1. I still use it on occasion. Great program with a great developer.

Yeah I googled DPC latency and MacBook and with a cursory look really only found a thread on 2010 MacBooks and DPC latency .. so I’m assuming (and hoping) it’s a non-issue these days. Yeah I’ve used (and sold at one point) pretty much every major DAW since the old Opcode days .. and Reaper has been my all time favorite. Don’t know why you don’t here about it more in the more important studios, but I’ve been watching Warren Huart’s YouTube channel lately and his interviews with some notable studio guys and see Reaper popping up in some of them, mostly Protools still though.

• @cloudswimmer said:

I have never heard DPC latency discussed in reference to mac. And my music making experience has been much smoother on mac than it ever was on windows or linux. And I love reaper too, I started using it pre version 1. I still use it on occasion. Great program with a great developer.

Yeah I googled DPC latency and MacBook and with a cursory look really only found a thread on 2010 MacBooks and DPC latency .. so I’m assuming (and hoping) it’s a non-issue these days. Yeah I’ve used (and sold at one point) pretty much every major DAW since the old Opcode days .. and Reaper has been my all time favorite. Don’t know why you don’t here about it more in the more important studios, but I’ve been watching Warren Huart’s YouTube channel lately and his interviews with some notable studio guys and see Reaper popping up in some of them, mostly Protools still though.

Nick Peck talks about reaper a lot on audionowcast, Kenny Gioia users it (and has a lot of tutorials), many others too. Definitely a great program. Right now Logic is my main DAW but I do still track in reaper sometimes. I work with a lot of people who use logic so I’m glad I learned and am still learning it. Editing is still a little awkward for me in reaper and doesn’t feel awkward in logic. But I love reaper’s i/o matrix and the fact that it is light on resources. Now that I have console 1 I’m going to try mixing something in reaper again as it has good integration. For writing and creation though, logic is incredible and I can’t see getting away from it for that.

• I just got the 2020 13inch MacBook Pro with 16 GB of ram and the 10th gen i7 and it runs Logic Pro X great, but I was still planning on getting a 16 inch for video editing, 3d animation and motion graphics, and the price for the specs I want cost almost 5 grand, but after Apple announced that they are moving towards using their own Arm processor chips or whatever they'll be called, Ive decided I'll hold back from investing that much money for now and wait it out and see what the next Mac will be. I think it will be a ridiculously powerful Mac that doesn't even need a fan like the iPad doesn't need one.

• @mrufino1 said:

@cloudswimmer said:

Nick Peck talks about reaper a lot on audionowcast, Kenny Gioia users it (and has a lot of tutorials), many others too. Definitely a great program. Right now Logic is my main DAW but I do still track in reaper sometimes. I work with a lot of people who use logic so I’m glad I learned and am still learning it. Editing is still a little awkward for me in reaper and doesn’t feel awkward in logic. But I love reaper’s i/o matrix and the fact that it is light on resources. Now that I have console 1 I’m going to try mixing something in reaper again as it has good integration. For writing and creation though, logic is incredible and I can’t see getting away from it for that.

So is Logic pretty intuitive to get started? In 10 years I have never had to reference the manual or anything, Ableton on the other hand was so unintuitive to me I just gave up. I know Logic is used by a lot of Pro’s these days which is why I want to try it, you make me want to try it even more 😬

• edited June 2020

Yeah forget the MacBook Pro I’m getting this 🙄 lol

• @cloudswimmer said:

So is Logic pretty intuitive to get started? In 10 years I have never had to reference the manual or anything, Ableton on the other hand was so unintuitive to me I just gave up. I know Logic is used by a lot of Pro’s these days which is why I want to try it, you make me want to try it even more 😬

I’m always fascinated by how people click with things or not. I have to chuckle at this because I instantly loved Live when it came out and never was comfortable with Logic. This was quite surprising because I was sure I would be a Logic guy -coming from using Emagic Creator on the Atari( Apple later bought Emagic and it became Logic). Both were German companies originally but only Live really gels with me to this day. No disrespect to Logic.

• I’m debating upgrading myself, but I’d go Mac Mini. MacBooks are ridiculously expensive. My older 2012 Mac Mini has been great, but I still haven’t taken the move to actually use it for music. I’m so used to iOS workflow and have never used Desktop for music.

At this point I’m wondering if buying Logic Pro X is going to be a good move for me or if it’s going to get a new version in a couple years and I would have purchased it toward it’s end. I suppose the WWDC they did mention Logic is running on their new processors, so that is probably hopeful news. My low end 2012 Mac Mini can probably get an okay amount done with it. The ram is great, but the processor is definitely seriously dated. I just downloaded a 90 day trial to look into it.

I’ll likely end up holding out for an apple silicone Mac if I can use my many iOS apps on it. I’m already pretty much iOS only for music.

• @cloudswimmer said:

@mrufino1 said:

@cloudswimmer said:

Yes and no. Not too hard to get the basics, but a lot of things are not where I expected them to be. What helps me is coming across problems that I have to solve. I do click with it now. I’m still discovering new things though.

• @cloudswimmer said:

I’ve got the base 16”. Have only done a quick test with Logic and Live, but runs them absolutely fine, and I’m not bothering with an external monitor as the screen is perfectly usable for me.

• @DMan I don't think you'll be able to just simply use your ios apps on mac os though. There will be some kind of system implemented. Some ios only apps will be available for os but probably not without additional costs.
    I for one will avoid rosetta 2. I am absolutely not against apples move. I think it shows at least that they do still care about the mac which many users started to doubt already. They will probably get it right and the new hardware will be amazing but still, not everything will work right from the start. Either way, I won't be able to wait for the hardware as I need a mac asap.

• @MonzoPro said:

@cloudswimmer said:

I’ve got the base 16”. Have only done a quick test with Logic and Live, but runs them absolutely fine, and I’m not bothering with an external monitor as the screen is perfectly usable for me.

How is the fan noise on yours? Can you do basic projects with several VST instruments and FX without the fan coming on?

• I have the XPS 9370 (i5 8G Ram Intel hd 620) and stripped / tweaked Win10 ltsc, no latency at all (even with onboard ,goes down to 64 buffer)
    If you want to run Logic then go for it , but I would wait for the ARM based laptops first and see the performance.

• edited June 2020

@cloudswimmer said:

@MonzoPro said:

@cloudswimmer said:

How is the fan noise on yours? Can you do basic projects with several VST instruments and FX without the fan coming on?

I haven’t really used it, just a couple of tests, but the fan only came on when I started scrolling - loading and unloading - a whole load of VST’s. Just playing them normally and it was fine (Live). When I tested it in Logic the fans didn’t come on at all.

I wouldn’t take this as definite proof though, I haven’t used it for music for any length of time, just quick tests.

Hot here today, when I used my old MBP for a music session the fans were going nuts.

• @Korakios said:
    I have the XPS 9370 (i5 8G Ram Intel hd 620) and stripped / tweaked Win10 ltsc, no latency at all (even with onboard ,goes down to 64 buffer)
    If you want to run Logic then go for it , but I would wait for the ARM based laptops first and see the performance.

Interesting, yeah I’ve been tweaking the hades out of my 9570 .. got rid of all the Dell stuff, turned off all the power saving stuff, turned off all the unnecessary processes, processor scheduling to background, turned off core parking and run performance mode with Quick CPU, and it’s running pretty good actually now, still get yellow bars with DPC latency checker .. but no red. My self built main desktop PC only shows minimal green bars in DPC latency checker .. and that was what I was hoping for with this 9570 but oh well. Can you think of any other performance tweaks I’m over looking? Probably wise advice waiting for the ARM laptops. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

• edited June 2020

Try disabling hpet (high precision timer events) from device manager & reboot.
    Also especially if you don’t have the LTSC version , go to settings and disable Apps running in the background ,maybe Airplane mode helps too.
    Open task manager and check apps in startup
    If you don't use it for browsing ,banking etc and have kontakt libraries (or apps with high IO) you can disable Spectre and Meltdown patches
    Do you have audio interface or playing with the onboard?

• edited June 2020

@Korakios said:
    Try disabling hpet (high precision timer events) from device manager & reboot.
    Also especially if you don’t have the LTSC version , go to settings and disable Apps running in the background ,maybe Airplane mode helps too.
    Open task manager and check apps in startup
    If you don't use it for browsing ,banking etc and have kontakt libraries (or apps with high IO) you can disable Spectre and Meltdown patches
    Do you have audio interface or playing with the onboard?

What’s the LTSC version, and should I turn off hpet in the bios too? I have the internal audio turned off in the bios and the software disabled (using a RME Babyface Pro for audio) Thanks again!

• edited June 2020

Windows LTSC is a version of windows 10 used in enterprises . It doesn't have bloatware and windows store . It's lighter ,plus it doesn't update twice a year , only security updates , no new features

• @Korakios said:
    Windows LTSC is a version of windows 10 used in enterprises . It doesn't have bloatware and windows store . It's lighter ,plus it doesn't update twice a year , only security updates , no new features

This came with Windows 10 home. I’ve been tempted to wipe the drive on this and install my Windows 7 Pro, I have 7 on my main studio desktops and they’re so much smoother and snappier and easier for me to use, is there any reason I wouldn’t want to do this on a Dell 9570?

• @cloudswimmer said:

@Korakios said:

This came with Windows 10 home. I’ve been tempted to wipe the drive on this and install my Windows 7 Pro, I have 7 on my main studio desktops and they’re so much smoother and snappier and easier for me to use, is there any reason I wouldn’t want to do this on a Dell 9570?

Drivers? I suggest win10 LTSC instead . But if you don't have any audio issues now I'd leave it as it is.
    I formated mine because I mainly use linux ,but needed a win10 partition for running essential apps&software

@cloudswimmer said:
    and should I turn off hpet in the bios too? I have the internal audio turned off in the bios and the software disabled (using a RME Babyface Pro for audio) Thanks again!

I missed that. I don't know if the bios has hpet switch ,but even if it does by disabling it on device manager windows will not use it.
    You can check the kernel timer before and after with this tool
    https://vvvv.org/contribution/windows-system-timer-tool