Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sample Packs a big no no in real hip hop /house culture.Try Dig in the crates people be original

Not to say “you should not” but damn guys its getting cheddar cheesy now. With the multitude of audio sources on the internet to sample your own discoveries to me this Sample Pack crew are lazy. Go deep into a sample *uck all that Royalty Free blah blah Get some vinyl even use your own friggin damn voice. Wack the toilet seat with a hammer Sample it Pitch it up down make it the best Kick or Snare you ever heard or better yet read out loud what I have written and sample it. Make it your own or recognize that you have taken in what I have written. Guess what you have just become a sampler saved to infinite memory. Peace.

Comments

• And where are the 'one sample challenges', ie. one source sample allowed (preferably not a piece of music) and mangle the sh*it out of it, create new instruments and stuff :)

Start with this one and go crazy LOL (Root key is G#2 +11cents)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ax2f9ksmyt89zpa/sample.wav?dl=0
    (Pitch it up a few octaves and it becomes a squeeze toy, pick a portion loop it into a choir pad, add some pitch envelopes to do percussion sounds, and yeah, it's me on the mic haha).

Creative sampling FTW!

• @Samu said:
    And where are the 'one sample challenges', ie. one source sample allowed (preferably not a piece of music) and mangle the sh*it out of it, create new instruments and stuff :)

Start with this one and go crazy LOL (Root key is G#2 +11cents)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ax2f9ksmyt89zpa/sample.wav?dl=0
    (Pitch it up a few octaves and it becomes a squeeze toy, pick a portion loop it into a choir pad, add some pitch envelopes to do percussion sounds, and yeah, it's me on the mic haha).

Creative sampling FTW!

@samu cool. Yeah iam not putting anyone down but its just gone so corny now . Peace

• I agree about 90% on this, I think drum kits have value, but yeah most stuff you should just diggin, buy a turntable, they are cheap as chips, and start hitting the charity shops (thrift stores in the US ? )

• @Turntablist said:
    I agree about 90% on this, I think drum kits have value, but yeah most stuff you should just diggin, buy a turntable, they are cheap as chips, and start hitting the charity shops (thrift stores in the US ? )

Username checks out

• edited June 2020

Well, this reminds me of the movie Adaptation, about guy trying to become a successful screenswriter. In one scene in the movie, we see a guru who gives workshops on scriptwriting saying something like they cardinal sin of moviemaking is to have voiceover.

Needless to say, the movie used voiceover, and was brilliant, lol. So to me, yes, I definitely understand the pleasure of digging through old vinyl and finding gems, but the only thing that really matters is the final result. Often the best thing to do to make your mark is to break the pre-existing rules.

And now, with all the lofi fx apps etc, what does it matter really how authentic the source material is if it ‘sounds’ authentic? Or even if it doesn’t sound authentic, as long as it sounds good? Early hip hop was probably viewed as sacrilege by many of the soul/jazz people whose records they were sampling.

This is how good art gets created. When an art form becomes too conservative and rule bound, it becomes boring.

• Semi-serious question now: how do people feel about sampling existing music from digital sources instead of vinyl? Is the preference for turntables a matter of sound, workflow, availability of obscure material, or something else?

• @stormbeats said:
    !
    @samu cool. Yeah iam not putting anyone down but its just gone so corny now . Peace

Agreed, everything is starting sound sound almost the same nowadays and it's partly and most likely because everyone uses the same sample libraries and other sources regardless of genre. Although there are some exceptions...

It could also be partly due to some of gear having a large factory sample bank with subscription services (Splice etc.) and it gets 'abused' like the M1 was abused when it came out.

I think there's also the 'familiarity factor' at play here and some just want to listen to certain type of sounds and fall into a trance like zombie state... (Hey, listen to this awesome new beat 80om, 80om, 80om, boom etc. etc. ).

I call it cheese grater music regardless of genre, music is now days a commodity, listen reflect, next tune please...
    ...very few 'new' tracks leave a lasting impression :)

Sometimes it's good to vent out though...
    Cheers!

• Truth be told, the first thing I do when get a DAW or other apps is to delete the “factory sample content” (if they let me). I might keep some of the drum kits (but I have soooo damn many its pointless TBH). I understand some people want all the loops and stuff, but I’m never gonna used them. Its just a nuisance for me. I’ve got decades of custom stuff (a lifetime supply really😩).
    It’s gotten to the point where you can pick out plugin presets in songs. Its not necessarily a new phenomena but definitely way more prevalent now.

• edited June 2020

@NoiseFloored said:
    Semi-serious question now: how do people feel about sampling existing music from digital sources instead of vinyl? Is the preference for turntables a matter of sound, workflow, availability of obscure material, or something else?

@NoiseFloored hey thats all cool. Any sound source. Anything to break this unoriginal lazy trend. Sampling old drum machines etc is cool to me too. But the sample pack thing is unoriginal and actually limiting, This is just my view on things. This is why I really like Koala sampler. Its a blank palette that sort of tells you to be original thats what Iam here for @elf_audio

• @Gavinski said:
    Well, this reminds me of the movie Adaptation, about guy trying to become a successful screenswriter. In one scene in the movie, we see a guru who gives workshops on scriptwriting saying something like they cardinal sin of moviemaking is to have voiceover.

Needless to say, the movie used voiceover, and was brilliant, lol. So to me, yes, I definitely understand the pleasure of digging through old vinyl and finding gems, but the only thing that really matters is the final result. Often the best thing to do to make your mark is to break the pre-existing rules.

And now, with all the lofi fx apps etc, what does it matter really how authentic the source material is if it ‘sounds’ authentic? Or even if it doesn’t sound authentic, as long as it sounds good? Early hip hop was probably viewed as sacrilege by many of the soul/jazz people whose records they were sampling.

This is how good art gets created. When an art form becomes too conservative and rule bound, it becomes boring.

@Gavinski i am not talking about the “sound”. Iam talking about the deep thought.

• @Apex said:
    Truth be told, the first thing I do when get a DAW or other apps is to delete the “factory sample content” (if they let me). I might keep some of the drum kits (but I have soooo damn many its pointless TBH). I understand some people want all the loops and stuff, but I’m never gonna used them. Its just a nuisance for me. I’ve got decades of custom stuff (a lifetime supply really😩).
    It’s gotten to the point where you can pick out plugin presets in songs. Its not necessarily a new phenomena but definitely way more prevalent now.

@Apex cool Apex - peace to you

• Right, that I can agree with > @stormbeats said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski i am not talking about the “sound”. Iam talking about the deep thought.

• edited June 2020

Heres a start people. Listen to that. Make it yours. No sample pack comes close
    Every genre of music ever created is in this Masterpiece.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    Semi-serious question now: how do people feel about sampling existing music from digital sources instead of vinyl? Is the preference for turntables a matter of sound, workflow, availability of obscure material, or something else?

I’m with @stormbeats on this one. No need for it to be just “vinyl”. Use whatever from wherever. Use the sample packs even, just at least try to alter them in some damn way, shape or form. Access to high quality tools isn’t an issue like it used to be.

• @NoiseFloored said:

Generally availability, ripping a CD is so much faster and the sound difference is negligible when you can add any amount of noise etc you want yourself, people who scream that vinyl is better are a little crazy to be honest, I have ten sets of decks, One set of 12s that I built myself from scratch by buying parts, a couple of audiphile decks, and a dub cutter, and I have a collection of vinyl that is so huge it has gotten to the point of taking steps to get rid of it for space concerns.
    Will I happily take the CD version if it exists, oh **** yeah.

• @Apex said:

Well, that's like me when I listen to music from mid 90s-00s and remembering the synth preset names.
    Now days I only track down the super annoying sounds and do my best to avoid them...

For me personally It's more fun and enjoyable to re-create a sound from scratch rather than use presets even though I can sometimes dissect a preset and check what makes it tick and learn at the same time.

Then again there is no time or reassure to 'produce' anything, it's a 'hobby' :)

Regarding factory content in apps, yes I wish it was possible to delete 'everything' but that would put a strain on the developer as they would have to provide a 'download service' for the factory content since content provided within the app-bundle can not be deleted...

• edited June 2020

@stormbeats @Apex @Turntablist got it, it's just for a long time I've had this loopback driver installed in my computer and I just sample whatever from apple music or youtube, so I was curious about what could I be missing out (not that I have the space to set up a turntable)

• If you’re going to drop a bunch of “pack” stuff on a timeline and say “I made a beat” then yes, what’s the point of that?

Using it as source material and crafting it to fit your vision however is no different than using vinyl, found sound or whatever.

• edited June 2020

@NoiseFloored
    Not sure about Apple, but Youtube and other content providers use absolutely horrific compression systems, WOOT is a great tester for this stuff, just stick WOOT on your sample and see if a ton of digital nasty appears, that will be the horrible compression, that is important as you effect and mix, so worth considering.

• @Turntablist said:

@NoiseFloored said:

Generally availability, ripping a CD is so much faster and the sound difference is negligible when you can add any amount of noise etc you want yourself, people who scream that vinyl is better are a little crazy to be honest, I have ten sets of decks, One set of 12s that I built myself from scratch by buying parts, a couple of audiphile decks, and a dub cutter, and I have a collection of vinyl that is so huge it has gotten to the point of taking steps to get rid of it for space concerns.

@Turntablist hey give me the excess vinyl :)

• @Turntablist said:
    @NoiseFloored
    Not sure about Apple, but Youtube and other content providers use absolutely horrific compression systems, WOOT is a great tester for this stuff, just stick WOOT on your sample and see if a ton of digital nasty appears, that will be the horrible compression, that is important as you effect and mix, so worth considering.

@Turntablist true about the youtube compression but lately I been enjoying the task of making anything I sample from it sound good. And it actually adds grit in a mad way.

• @Turntablist said:

@NoiseFloored said:

^^^ THIS ^^^

Yes, vinyl is cool. Vinyl is fun. It sounds good. BUT... It can also be a major PITA. I started when there was nothing but vinyl (and the occasional reel to reel). But in 2020, I really think CDs are a great value. Used CD’s are cheap as hell, and they‘re “full bandwidth” clean copies. Plus, when I have to move my studio (like I’m doing currently), they don’t weigh 3 tons. 😅

• @Apex said:

@Turntablist said:

@NoiseFloored said:

^^^ THIS ^^^

Yes, vinyl is cool. Vinyl is fun. It sounds good. BUT... It can also be a major PITA. I started when there was nothing but vinyl (and the occasional reel to reel). But in 2020, I really think CDs are a great value. Used CD’s are cheap as hell, and they‘re “full bandwidth” clean copies. Plus, when I have to move my studio (like I’m doing currently), they don’t weigh 3 tons. 😅

Damn don't even get in to reel to reel, The black goo of death that came out of mine is still staining the paving in the garden, if anybody even thinks of buying one, make sure the belts and all pinching rubbers have all been replaced, you have been warned!

• Write good songs.

• I can 100% understand those just getting into creating beats etc but the more experienced people getting excited about sample packs then moaning about ipad storage

• Wow..... glad I dont listen to any not real Hip Hop or House.... I might here something from a sample pack....

Seriously dude? Who cares where it comes from? Some people just like music no matter what. 90% of the folks on this board dont have access or the ability to do what you are saying.

I get you... you want to be authenticate but you do come off a bit high and mighty in your OP...

• @Turntablist @Apex dj greg wilson a legend from the uk dj’s with reels

• @Turntablist said:

It's like editing a JPG image versus a RAW image.
    In same cases one can get away with the JPG but if detailed editing needs to be done it gets nasty...

Some compression artifacts can drive me nuts but the worst is the bubbly underwater effect that is very evident on highly compressed files or when using extreme noise reduction...

For some sounds it really doesn't matter and will mostly likely be masked by other sounds, but knowing it's there can be annoying as... (It depends on context if it's the main sound or just some background sound effects).

• One way I get around the “low quality Youtube” problem is to record the audio through a desk, and not just take a direct digital copy. Yes, it’s technically the same shit quality, but going into the physical realm helps round off the edges and bond together said crap audio so its not so harsh. Like running thru a filter or eq almost.

• edited June 2020

@onerez my original post says “i do not say you should not” so whatever. And you do u