Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Merged Drambo thread

What do you ❤️ about the best music production app ever created?

Comments

• so i wanna start off by saying that i’m pretty new to the idea of modular. ive always LOVED the creative process behind modular, i just never looked into it too much before i got miRack. miRack easily became my favorite app after a few days of playing with it. it may seem daunting to those who havent tried it, but it just made so much sense to me.

i stumbled across the audiobus forum from jakob haq, and i noticed a lot of people talking about drambo and how you can do almost anything with it. so i decided to buy it and give it a shot. i watched a bunch of tutorials and went through all the demo patches. ive created a few of my own patches as well, but for some reason, things still arent clicking for me.

in theory, drambo seems right up my alley; i love the quality and sound of sunrizer, i love modular systems, i hate wires, and i love the flexibility of creating my own instruments and effects. i really want to love drambo like everyone else does, but it just hasn't happened yet.

has anyone else been in the same position? did you figure something out or find a tutorial that made drambo fun to use after not being able to get into it? or was there a point in learning drambo that you decided it was one of your favorite music apps?

• I have to say I’m with you.
    I enjoyed the hype and was looking forward the release but it hasn’t clicked with me.
    MiRack is nice. Maybe I’m just to lazy to work more with it but I like to open it from time to time. And definitely I don’t want to just make everything in Drambo.

But I like that so many people have found it to be the tool they needed and I’m happy for @giku_beepstreet too for nailing it.

• I LIKE it a lot, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to love it when I get an IPad Pro 12.9 inch. I’m on an IPad Air 2 and I’m really enjoying using it but I can tell a bigger screen and more powerful cpu will make it a even better experience.

• Same with me. I hugely appreciate what it is and think the idea is brilliant, it's very unique. In use though I find it tedious making all my instruments and the included ones just don't do it for me. Also, even with the collapsed view there still a lot of scrolling around to find what I'm looking for in devices.

It's a really cool idea, but it's one of those things like per note expressions in Bitwig. Game changer for some, but a level of detail I just don't need for the way I make music.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Same. It’s amazing, but I had the same problem with the Octatrack. There’s so much setting up to do, before you get started. I know you can make presets, and all that, but when there are so many possibilities, I get kind of frozen by the choice and the complexity. Still, it’s probably the most impressive iPad music app I’ve seen.

I’ve been using my OP-Z a ton instead, which is the exact opposite, but I get a kick out of misusing it.

• Multi outs, better sample browsing, AudioShare/Files integration, and a comprehensive patch library and its a pure winner :-)

• @supadom advice on Drambo is excellent. Use it for the little pieces you need as it is a swiss army knife instead of trying to tackle your whole workflow in one big transition. I've been using it for effects (it has some of the most unique effects on iOS) and for some MIDI sequencing and I've really enjoyed working with Drambo recently, even after being overwhelmed and let down with it early on.

I also think that Drambo could benefit from easy sharing of presets. The best way to learn this beast is by looking at others' constructions.

• I think it helps to what one needs and have a rough idea on how to accomplish it.
    After that it's a matter of picking a few modules and boom...

I'm a chip tune addict and here's a quick video showing how to build basic classic chip arpeggio using a few Drambo modules.
    (It uses Graphic Modulator, Oscillator and AMP ADSR, most stuff is 'auto patched' part from syncing the modulator start and oscillator start to note on).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pi3kv9x6zk6dww/DramboChipArp.MP4?dl=0
    (The first few seconds ware cut off, don't know why, maybe I'm running out of storage space on my iPad Air 2).

• As a big time cheerleader for Drambo I’ll say that it’s not for everyone. However, if you’re the type of musician who enjoys the Elektron way of making music then there’s no better choice than Drambo for you on iOS.

Drambo isn’t your traditional DAW just like an OctaTrack isn’t your traditional electronic instrument.

Drambo definitely fills a gap on the iOS platform and i am just happy that we finally have a brilliant Elektron workflow on iOS we can all use whenever we see fit to make music in this manner.

There are some amazing tutorials available for it on YouTube which answers a ton of questions. They helped me tremendously:

Here are two great playlists:

FWIW: since Drambo is so flexible you can use it for what you need. I really only use it as a midi sequencer and Sample Slice player. I use it as a replacement for my OctaTrack. Shhh...don’t tell Elektron.

• I got it and appreciate it and was initially very interested in it. Truth is, and this is a harsh reality, I don't have time for it. I just need to get on with the music-making so am more into "grab and go" apps. And when I do have the time it's just not the thing I want to spend my time with. Ah well there are other apps. Great work, just not for me.

• edited June 2020

No buyers remorse, since I appreciate the work and potential, but it’s not going to become part of my workflow.

Like MiRack I’ll occasionally dip in and muck about for an enjoyable half hour, but it won’t end up on a finished track.

• edited June 2020

@itsaghost So if I understand you correctly, you get along well with miRack already.
    What did you miss in miRack that made you purchase Drambo?

In miRack, you have more sophisticated modules that often do a lot of stuff, built from many components all packed into one module.
    In Drambo, you have more basic modules that are very fast to string together (with invisible cables following a clear philosophy).
    It's really a matter of taste which you prefer.
    Drambo is certainly very flexible and has a more user-friendly UI that is optimized for touch screens and I mostly prefer it because I always have full control while in miRack, I have to take the modules as they are, no diving in and changing them to my taste.
    If you are satisfied with what miRack has on board and you can use it well then stick with it.
    If you think about building your own modules, packing them into compact racks for future use and using full MIDI control with most available control surfaces on the market, then Drambo is certainly more flexible.

No question, both are fantastic apps.

To get an impression of what Drambonians have created, with many creations that have no equivalent in miRack, check out:

https://patchstorage.com/platform/drambo/

Although Drambo is much younger (2 1/2 months vs. 8 months), we already have 177 Drambo creations vs. 108 miRack creations uploaded so far.

• I think Drambo is fantastic but I haven't really found a way of using it yet that clicks for me.

On the other hand miRack, though more complex, seems to be taking off for me, and I'm starting to get some great results with it. As a modular noob I expected Drambo to be my gateway drug as it were to full modular but it's kind of been the other way round.

But I think the new graphical modulator may change that ...

• It's a really great drum machine if you like making your own sounds.

• Havent used MiRack but appreciate a Eurorack for £8.

Drambo for me with controllers allows me to play live but skill is obviously needed. I can then re-order to build track like say how you might with a DAW. Close and save. Have volcas always on standby along with other audio sources for flexy sampler. The audio sources from all apps was always overwhelming. I think its just made everything easier to access without using zenbeats etc.

• This is at 1024 buffer though. If someone says 1024 buffer is not ideal, then Id have to re-think everything.

• Same here. Just couldn’t get into it at all.

• Everything is just midi mapped perfect across about 24 aum channels. Even if they are not used. Only because of 1024 buffer though. Who cares if it ends up sounding crap or something. Its just music.

• @kinkujin said:
    I got it and appreciate it and was initially very interested in it. Truth is, and this is a harsh reality, I don't have time for it. I just need to get on with the music-making so am more into "grab and go" apps. And when I do have the time it's just not the thing I want to spend my time with. Ah well there are other apps. Great work, just not for me.

If you use AUM, you can save your Drambos as presets.

Open as a source and all your synth/sampler setups can be recalled.

Open as FX and all of your processing presets are available.

Open as midi and all of your midi processors and sequence presets are available.

But you will have to set these up at least once though.

• I never bought it because I really hate the whole Groovebox workflow. I prefer a timeline and a piano roll. Also, I never really fancied the idea of always having to build the stuff from scratch.

Having said that I totally appreciate its power, and also completely understand that for some users it's the right tool - it's just not my bag.

• As a guitar player and not a midi geek, I just wanna plug in and play and record. Bam. done. But, Drambo totally gets my learning juices flowing, especially since it doesn't deal with connecting all sorts of cables and stuff. That is one reason, I never got into the Moog synth, but i do love the presets.

With Drambo without any help, i was able to create a super awsome synth in no time. I was like wow! this thing sounds huge and super analog warm! But again, that's about all I've done with it. Not Drambo's fault, really mine as i don't have too much time. But having it available when my curiosity of learning kicks in, it's just amazing! it's like buying a new app everytime you go in there and load a module. So awesome! Perhaps little by little, with more use, I will learn to reap its hidden rewards that many others are already enjoying. Super awesome Dev to boot. One of the best around here.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    As a guitar player and not a midi geek, I just wanna plug in and play and record. Bam. done. But, Drambo totally gets my learning juices flowing, especially since it doesn't deal with connecting all sorts of cables and stuff. That is one reason, I never got into the Moog synth, but i do love the presets.

With Drambo without any help, i was able to create a super awsome synth in no time. I was like wow! this thing sounds huge and super analog warm! But again, that's about all I've done with it. Not Drambo's fault, really mine as i don't have too much time. But having it available when my curiosity of learning kicks in, it's just amazing! it's like buying a new app everytime you go in there and load a module. So awesome! Perhaps little by little, with more use, I will learn to reap its hidden rewards that many others are already enjoying. Super awesome Dev to boot. One of the best around here.

Good to see and hear that it clicked with you brother. Always great to hear your joy being fulfilled when making the music you make 🙏🏼💕

• I know I’ll never use it to it’s full potential or even how most people will approach it but there are certain aspects of it that fit nicely into my workflow and then pushes that into a higher level.

• @d4d0ug said:
    The main thing I use Drambo for is the Flexi Sampler :smiley:

I’m sure I could make more use of the other modules, but I tend to use MiRack for everything else ‘modular’.

I know ‘cable-less’ system is supposed to make things clearer, but, probably from lack of experience I get frustrated connecting modules how I want them to connect.

i am 100% in the same boat. i dont like cables irl but having the cables in mirack makes a LOT more sense to me.

• I switch off overdubbing also. This allows you to record per step with record always armed.

• I had a break from it whilst waiting for some more updates but have come back to it again...Both Drambo and now AUv3 miRack are becoming very useful parts of my workflow, they can fit in anywhere. Just using the mid sequencer alone, combined with other midi sequencers, makes the most comprehensive arrangement capability in AUM and the other non-daw hosts. I know it's not particularly easy to get started with it but it can grow with you and more presets will be available eventually.

Also the way it fits very well on an iPhone too is a bonus :)
    Multi out and then webdav will make Drambo very flexible.

• edited June 2020

As a previous Octatrack user who got sick of their Octatrack, Drambo covers most of its features alongside an excellent modular synth engine, way better sounding FX and a more approachable user experience (not having to stare at a tiny monochrome display, memorize button combos that if you get wrong you lose hours of work, managing samples that often times get lost). I love that when I hear about a new AUv3 plugin I now wonder "Can I make this in Drambo?".

But if you are looking for a DAW experience its not that, and its cool to use what works better for you. And Drambo is definitely missing features to make it a fully realized groovebox (song mode) so maybe put it aside for a while and come back after some more development?

Tbh, the more I use Drambo the more I wonder if I should just use it solely. I want to be able to perform with my iPad, and using AUv3s in a container its pretty unstable for that. I don't want to have to load a new project for each song and then worry about plugins crashing, etc. There are ways around this (using program changes to load AUv3 presets AUM) but its a lot of work and I'm not sure its worth it.

tl;dr: Drambo is amazing for specific use cases, but doesn't cover all the use cases, and its totally fine if your use isn't covered by it :)

• I bought second it was released but haven’t dug into it much yet...

• My advice for those trying to get into Drambo, is not to be overwhelmed by trying everything at once.

I started by using the sequencer to control AUv3s in AUM - it replaced Grooverider which had previously done this task (both have Elektron-style p-locks, trigger conditions etc)

Once I was comfortable using the sequencer, I started learning the Flexisampler. From there, I branch out every few sessions to start using another aspect.

Let it grow on you organically. You don't need to be building a whole live set in it on day 1 ;)