Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

An iPad musician's dream came true: Digitone and Digitakt are now class compliant audio interfaces !

Comments

• As workaround you can send the Midi Clock from DN to IOS and use the app MIDI Link Sync and set it to receive Midi Clock from DN and when you start this clock it will generate a Ableton Link signal which then can sync with AUM. I tried this out also for 20 minutes and no audio drop.

• edited June 2020

how come then @stellare_modular @echoopera could get it ok with nucleum ?

this audio cut is a pain !

• @stellare_modular said:
    Then the actual driver is crashing, I opened a support ticket w Elektron

Good luck with that. They will first ignore you, then claim they don’t know about, then say they are looking into it.

I sent then comprehensive video test/diagnostic showing them exactly what’s happening. It has to do with usb midi causing issues with the audio drivers.

It’s going to be another Overbridge clusterfuck.

• @mlau said:

I dont know, maybe he does not send a midi clock to his digitone? I will get the nucleum today, will see if its any different

@mlau said:

I dont know, maybe he does not send a midi clock to his digitone? I will get the nucleum today, will see if its any different

I was sending midi clock to the DN via AUM and wasn’t experiencing clipping.

• @ToMess said:

You could just as well use the headphone out to sample ipad to digitakt.

Only if your iPad or iphone has a headphone jack!

Since digitakt doesent allow pass through audio of its input ports also, you cant use any other sound sources with this properly, as you cant add more inputs, as you cant also use a real audio interface at the same time on ipad. So if you use other sound sources, this doesent work anymore and you need a proper audio interface anyways.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a disappointment in this regard.

• edited June 2020

@stellare_modular @echoopera so i’ve been trying something : i only allowed the apps in Aum to play midi ch 1... and at the moment ( 35mn in ) no problem anymore... not sure it’s the soluch though

but yes, tell me how is it going when you receive the Nucleum !

• Got the nucleam and its the same shit :( its definitely a problem on Elektron side

• Digitone working fine so far. Digitakt working very sporadically or not at all - class compliant usb issues

• edited June 2020

@stellare_modular said:
    Got the nucleam and its the same shit :( its definitely a problem on Elektron side

Oh man sorry to hear this. I know it’s a silly question but have you tried a different usb Cable from the Digi to see if that fixes it. I know I’ve had bad cables in the past when sending audio over them on audio interfaces.

• @echoopera said:

@stellare_modular said:
    Got the nucleam and its the same shit :( its definitely a problem on Elektron side

Oh man sorry to hear this. I know it’s a silly question but have you tried a different usb Cable from the Digi to see if that fixes it. I know I’ve had bad cables in the past when sending audio over them on audio interfaces.

Using the original digitone cable which did not give any issues so far but can try another cable but other people have the same issue, i guess you are really lucky ;)

Which IOS version you use and which iPad?

• I would’ve been excited before Drambo came out- but for me Drambo basically makes the entire Elektron catalog obsolete-

• @setAI said:
    I would’ve been excited before Drambo came out- but for me Drambo basically makes the entire Elektron catalog obsolete-

I don’t know if I’d say obsolete. The Digitone is a pretty incredible sounding FM synth which iOS has no equal to. I love that i can now get that great FM synth onto the iPad a lot easier.

@echoopera said:

@stellare_modular said:

Using the original digitone cable which did not give any issues so far but can try another cable but other people have the same issue, i guess you are really lucky ;)

Which IOS version you use and which iPad?

I’m running 13.5.1 on an iPad Pro 2018 model.

• edited June 2020

@setAI said:
    I would’ve been excited before Drambo came out- but for me Drambo basically makes the entire Elektron catalog obsolete-

I agree. There are so many equivalent that can do more than Elektron boxes. Hardware has its appeal though, so I won't sell my OG Rytm and A4. But...

Drambo = Octatrack & More

Poly2, EG Pulse, both with multi-out = Digitakt, Rytm, Samples

KQ Dixie = 10x what the Digitone can do

miRack AU = Allows creating synths with A4 level complexity

Ruismaker FM with multi-out = Elektron Cycles

• edited June 2020

@auxmux said:

@setAI said:

I agree. There are so many equivalent that can do more than Elektron boxes. Hardware has its appeal though, so I won't sell my OG Rytm and A4. But...

Drambo = Octatrack & More

Poly2, EG Pulse, both with multi-out = Digitakt, Rytm, Samples

KQ Dixie = 10x what the Digitone can do

miRack AU = Allows creating synths with A4 level complexity

Ruismaker FM with multi-out = Elektron Cycles

Great list.

It’s so awesome that we’re now seeing these amazing iOS apps appear which take their workflows from the best in class hardware gear.

We have so many amazing options now.

• Indeed, you can definitely see the influence of hardware on these apps, which is great.

• @auxmux the big draw for me and the Digitakt is that I look at it more like an instrument. The immediacy of the knobs/buttons and how quickly you can sequence and tweak in real time cannot be replicated with an iPad, in my opinion. This is 3 years old but shows how the DT can create whatever on the fly. This is why I’m interested, not because drambo cant reproduce a lot of it, but no way can you create and tweak this quickly on an iPad.

• I think Elektron were smart when they did the Model line because those are more about the knobs messing with sound than about features in a menu-

• @stellare_modular i have been sequencing pad apps in digitakt for hours and did not notice a problem. the audio only have problem when i create a channel for the digitakt in aum. don’t know if that might help to find the issue ... @echoopera

• @setAI Elektron was always smart 😎

• edited June 2020

@drez said:
    @auxmux the big draw for me and the Digitakt is that I look at it more like an instrument. The immediacy of the knobs/buttons and how quickly you can sequence and tweak in real time cannot be replicated with an iPad, in my opinion.

I feel the same about my Octatrack, for the same reasons. I like to have some element of improvisation in my music. I'm not the type of person who programs every little thing so that all I have to do to play my music is press Play and let the sequencer do everything for me. For that improv to flow in a satisfying way, it's nice to have a self-contained instrument with physical controls.

Drambo is great and one of my favorites of the apps released so far in 2020, fwiw. But I'm keeping my Octatrack.

• edited June 2020

@echoopera said:

@setAI said:

I don’t know if I’d say obsolete. The Digitone is a pretty incredible sounding FM synth which iOS has no equal to.

Are you sure?
    I would really like to hear a DN FM sound (without FX) that cannot be reproduced on iOS.

• edited June 2020

@rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:

@setAI said:

I don’t know if I’d say obsolete. The Digitone is a pretty incredible sounding FM synth which iOS has no equal to.

Are you sure?
    I would really like to hear a DN FM sound (without FX) that cannot be reproduced on iOS.

Me too. Let me know if you know of one 😬
    Aparillo definitely comes to mind.

• edited June 2020

The best way to emulate Digitone type of FM is to use less operators. Traditional DX7 / KQ Dixie supports up to 6, but synths like Digitone use less.

Turn off some operators in KQ Dixie, and use 2-4 operators instead. This will emulate the lofi synths like Yamaha FB01 or TX81Z. Play around with combinations of which ones to turn off, while changing routing algorithms of the operators. With KQ Dixie, you also get a lot more algorithms to play with than Digitone, and can always add more operators.

Unlike Digitone, you can layer the same or different patches onto each other for more complex sounds. Up to 16, for even more thicker / richer sounds.

FM synths love FX. Always add liberally.

• For the people who have the audio cuts like me, Elektron just got back to me and said they may have found the issue and they hope to have a fix soon :)

For the people who have the audio cuts like me, Elektron just got back to me and said they may have found the issue and they hope to have a fix soon :)

Woa. That's good news.

• edited June 2020

@auxmux said:
    The best way to emulate Digitone type of FM is to use less operators. Traditional DX7 / KQ Dixie supports up to 6, but synths like Digitone use less.

Turn off some operators in KQ Dixie, and use 2-4 operators instead. This will emulate the lofi synths like Yamaha FB01 or TX81Z. Play around with combinations of which ones to turn off, while changing routing algorithms of the operators. With KQ Dixie, you also get a lot more algorithms to play with than Digitone, and can always add more operators.

NS' Obsidian is a sleeper for this. The app does a whole lot so its easy to forget just how good/fun its FM oscillator is. It's a little different than others in that it doesn't offer preset algorithms but you can control the flow of the (up to) three operators. From the manual

The FM oscillator has 3 operators which are able to use a range of different waveforms. Any of the operators may be used as carriers (ie. they can can generate audio output) but only operators 1 and 2 can be used as modulators (ie. they're able to modulate the frequency of other operators, including themselves).

The outputs from the carriers (and the connections between them) may be modulated via their own dedicated envelopes or with a modulation connection.

That last bit ("or with a modulation connection.") means you can use any Obsidian modulation source (LFOs, Envelopes, XY...) to modulate any of that stuff—along with, or in place of, the dedicated FM envelopes (which are full Obsidian envelopes btw—curves, key/velocity scaling, offset, etc).

And "range of waveforms" above means, instead of DX-style sine wave only waveforms, you can choose from this list (per operator).

Then you get a pair of polyphonic filters, the mod matrix, effects, etc—"normal" subtractive synthesis stuff not generally found on DX-style FM synths. It's a good time.

• @syrupcore Man, I wish Obsidian was an AU, then, I'd be all over this. Or if NS2 got audio tracks and Ableton Link Start and Stop. ☹️

• Plus, you can stack three of these FM oscillators in a single Obsidian patch. :) Or mix and match with other oscillator types. Or stack 25 Obsidians on the same midi channel...

Pro tip: the OSCs hamburger menu will allow you to quickly copy one oscillator's settings to another. Setup an FM oscillator to your liking, copy and paste it to the OSC 2 slot, adjust the settings a bit (or a lot), route each to different filters, pan them separately... go nuts.