Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

An iPad musician's dream came true: Digitone and Digitakt are now class compliant audio interfaces !

Comments

• Yes very nice...the device seem to loose its connection though. After playing for a certain time in AUM the audio stops working. Think it draws too much USB power. Connected the DN to a powered USB 2 hub now and this in a USB-C hub it makes its a bit better but still it stops the audio after a certain time :/

• edited June 2020

@stellare_modular said:
    Yes very nice...the device seem to loose its connection though. After playing for a certain time in AUM the audio stops working. Think it draws too much USB power. Connected the DN to a powered USB 2 hub now and this in a USB-C hub it makes its a bit better but still it stops the audio after a certain time :/

Can the units not be AC powered while connected to USB?

• edited June 2020

eeh

• @Shabudua said:

@stellare_modular said:
    Yes very nice...the device seem to loose its connection though. After playing for a certain time in AUM the audio stops working. Think it draws too much USB power. Connected the DN to a powered USB 2 hub now and this in a USB-C hub it makes its a bit better but still it stops the audio after a certain time :/

Can the units not be AC powered while connected to USB?

Yes. It won't draw any power from the iDevice.

Also, to be a bit more clear, USB MIDI was class compliant all the time, it's the audio that has now been added to the USB link.

• Then the actual driver is crashing, I opened a support ticket w Elektron

• @stellare_modular said:
    Then the actual driver is crashing, I opened a support ticket w Elektron

Did this also happen when you disabled MIDI clock sending in AUM?
    Just today I've noticed another Cubasis weirdosity: When Cubasis sends MIDI clock over USB, the Digitakt freezes. Only powering it off brings it back. I've never used Cubasis with its buggy MIDI clock but it's interesting nonetheless what happened.
    When sending MIDI clock from Loopy HD, everything works perfectly.

• Yes also happens without sending midi clock

• edited June 2020

Yup...it's pretty freakin' sweet.

Loving the new DigiTone update feature of Audio over USB...makes it pair very nicely with the iPad and Drambo with minimal cables...which is very nice. :)

Here's a little track I made today using 4 synths on the DigiTone and Continua driven by Drambo and GrooveBox playing drums on the iPad:

Thanks as always for watching. Hope everyone's doing well.

SoundCloud:

• So cool! Thanks for sharing this. Time to grab the updates and dig in! PS, I love how you call this a “little track” It will probably take me a week to figure out how to configure the same setup, let alone compose something worth keeping. :-)

• edited June 2020

@scadet said:
    So cool! Thanks for sharing this. Time to grab the updates and dig in! PS, I love how you call this a “little track” It will probably take me a week to figure out how to configure the same setup, let alone compose something worth keeping. :-)

Many thanks...you'll get there in no time. Just gotta keep playing, noodling and exploring things :) It's all I do.

• @rs2000 said:

@stellare_modular said:

Just today I've noticed another Cubasis weirdosity: When Cubasis sends MIDI clock over USB, the Digitakt freezes. Only powering it off brings it back. I've never used Cubasis with its buggy MIDI clock but it's interesting nonetheless what happened.

I am starting to suspect that AUM is the problem....now testing it in AudioBus w Sinewave in Drambo and see if the sound stops after a certain amount of time.

• @stellare_modular said:

@rs2000 said:

@stellare_modular said:

I am starting to suspect that AUM is the problem....now testing it in AudioBus w Sinewave in Drambo and see if the sound stops after a certain amount of time. UPDATE: Not a problem in AUM...happens also in Audiobus.

• edited June 2020

So, am i getting it correct that now Digitakt/Digitone can be used basiacally as sound card, midi interface AND also audio from it's synth engine can be routed to iPad - so when i'm sending midi from ipad to Digitatkt/Digitone, i can record it's audio back to iPad ?

• @dendy said:
    So, am i getting it correct that now Digitakt/Digitone can be used basiacally as sound card, midi interface AND also audio from it's synth engine can be routed to iPad - so when i'm sending midi from ipad to Digitatkt/Digitone, i can record it's audio back to iPad ?

Yes but it mixes also the signal coming in from the analog inputs together with the main.

• edited June 2020

@stellare_modular said:

@dendy said:

Yes but it mixes also the signal coming in from the analog inputs together with the main.

Cool, i see this more like advantage than disadvantage :) So i can record Digitakt/Digitone's engine, but i want i can record also other external synth connected to it's input (i'm assuming it is passing to iPad audio from input even if it's inernal sequencer is not playing and not receiving any midi from iPad)

Sounds like really fullfiled dream, now i'm starting thinking about Digitone purchase :)

• @dendy Only on Digitone. The Digitakt doesn’t pass its external inputs over usb.

• edited June 2020

@mistercharlie said:
    dendy Only on Digitone. The Digitakt doesn’t pass its external inputs over usb.

I was considering trading my mpc to a digitakt, but this combined with the fact that ios cant handle multiple audio interfaces and the fact that digitakt doesent sample in stereo, kinda defeats the point :/ Also the fact that digitakt only sends out master and not individual tracks, makes this not much better than just sending the audio thought audio cables to ipad with audio interface. In fact if you have interface with many inputs, it would be better than using digitakt as a audio interface, as you would still get more inputs to ipad and could properly output it also from ipad.

If you could stream all 8 tracks as stereo channels to AUM, then this update would be something. But as is, i dont see any improvements to what we already got, except that you dont have to buy an audio interface, but then you will miss out on stuff.

I can see this update helping some very few people, but i dont get the hype. Maybe there is something im missing, other than USB makes it handy and you dont NEED an audio interface with this? But you might want an audio interface with this.. I mean its handy that you can also get midi along with master output from digitakt, but plenty of interfaces also have midi ports.

On desktop its different because you can use multiple interfaces, but i wouldnt see myself using this audio interface functionality with ipad.

• edited June 2020

To take what is given to one and multiply it is how creativity works. I can only catch one fish at a time with my rod. If i want to catch more i have to get a boat and a crew.

Yes i used the ‘Teach a person to fish story in this thread.’ 🤪

😬 I love that i can just use a single USB cable to stream a stereo mix to my iPad from my DigiTone. I can always use OverBridge on my Mac if i want to get MultiOut working.

I think if more people show how well the DT and DN works with iPads Elektron might unlock MultiOut feature for us everywhere...i can dream ya know. 🙏🏼💕 we know that iPadOS can handle Multiple Audio Streams from USB Devices but we don’t know how much power the Elektron boxes have since OverBridge does a lot of latency compensation for the boxes.

Anyhoo it’s a great addition to a great piece of hardware. Going to work great with L7 Looper and Drambo.

• @dendy said:

@stellare_modular said:

@dendy said:

Cool, i see this more like advantage than disadvantage :) So i can record Digitakt/Digitone's engine, but i want i can record also other external synth connected to it's input (i'm assuming it is passing to iPad audio from input even if it's inernal sequencer is not playing and not receiving any midi from iPad)

Sounds like really fullfiled dream, now i'm starting thinking about Digitone purchase :)

For now its still pretty unstable, i get constant disconnects still and i am not sure if its my usb c hub or not but dont think so because when it happens the audio engine keeps running of AUM
    or any other host and Vu meter still show activity just no sound so i think its something w the driver on their side. I ordered a new hub maybe it gets better. I hope they are able to fix this because this is also my preferred setup :)

• @stellaremodular i have the same problem with the digitakt, not with the digitone.... i run on ipad pro 11, only with the usb connected to the pad

• I also have a ipad pro 11” 2020 but i have it with digitone

• FWIW, I’m using the Kingston Nucleum as my powered USB-C hub:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Nucleum-Adapter-Charging-Chromebook/dp/B076BGJXTG

• @echoopera said:
    FWIW, I’m using the Kingston Nucleum as my powered USB-C hub:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Nucleum-Adapter-Charging-Chromebook/dp/B076BGJXTG

Thats exactly what I ordered now after reading a lot online :) will get it tomorrow @echoopera you did not have any disconnects so far?

• edited June 2020

@stellare_modular said:

@echoopera said:

Thats exactly what I ordered now after reading a lot online :) will get it tomorrow @echoopera you did not have any disconnects so far?

I haven’t experienced any. Had it running for several hours yesterday in the background thru AUM without any hiccups. GrooveBox crashed on me a few times which required an AUM reboot to make sure things were clean memory wise..

• @echoopera said:

@stellare_modular said:

@echoopera said:

I haven’t experienced any. Had it running for several hours yesterday in the background without any hiccups. GrooveBox crashed on me a few times which required an AUM reboot to make sure things were clean memory wise..

Ok that sounds promising

• edited June 2020

Here's a nice video of someone out there in the wild doing a nice walk thru with the DigiTone and iPad:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=337&v=DU6bVOZjHQk&feature=emb_logo

• @ToMess said:

I can see this update helping some very few people, but i dont get the hype. Maybe there is something im missing, other than USB makes it handy and you dont NEED an audio interface with this?

It’s handy for sampling from iPhone or iPad, and for recording a live set straight into your phone.

The Digitone is the sleeper hit here though. My guitar sounds amazing through it, using the Digitone’s overdrive.

• edited June 2020

@mistercharlie said:

@ToMess said:

I can see this update helping some very few people, but i dont get the hype. Maybe there is something im missing, other than USB makes it handy and you dont NEED an audio interface with this?

It’s handy for sampling from iPhone or iPad, and for recording a live set straight into your phone.

The Digitone is the sleeper hit here though. My guitar sounds amazing through it, using the Digitone’s overdrive.

Yea i guess it would make an ipad or iphone a handy recorder for digitakt, but you couldnt do proper mixing or anything in AUM, basically just put some limiters etc on the master bus. But then you could just as well export the audio and put it on some daw on ipad instead or do it in AUM with file player.

You could just as well use the headphone out to sample ipad to digitakt.

Since digitakt doesent allow pass through audio of its input ports also, you cant use any other sound sources with this properly, as you cant add more inputs, as you cant also use a real audio interface at the same time on ipad. So if you use other sound sources, this doesent work anymore and you need a proper audio interface anyways.

• edited June 2020

@mistercharlie said:

@ToMess said:

Can you get the Midi Out from the DN to work? Mine doesn’t seem to want to send out Midi to my iPad. So confused at this moment.

Nevermind...durrr...forgot to set my Midi Channel in the SYN panel on the DN :)

• edited June 2020

So I found the reason for the audio cuts. It happens when you send a Midi Clock from IOS to the Digitone. It does not matter where this midi clock comes from, I tried several ones AUM, Audiobus, Midi Link Sync every time the audio drops out after 1 to 10 minutes. I opened a support ticket with Elektron and they already got back to me, hopefully they can fix it now ;)

Without sending midi clock to the digitone I do not get a audio cut, I ran 4 different test cases of sending midi to and from DN to IOS for 20 min each and no cut.