Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OPL AUv3 FM Synth by Jorge Reales

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1516617949

Description:

The OPL is a digital sound synthesis chip developed by Yamaha in the mid 1980s. Among other products, it was used in sound cards for PC, including the Ad Lib card and early Sound Blaster series.

This instrument provides an emulated OPL sound chip. It provides all features of the OPL2, and some features of the OPL3. More than 2000 presets are included.

Each instance of the plugin emulates an entire OPL chip, but with this plugin, essentially you are just working with two operators: the carrier and modulator.

Standalone app requires MIDI keyboard.

Comments

• Out of the blue. Looks good. 3 new apps today and a beathawk soundpack. Nice🤘🤘🤘

• L
    It looks sexy🤩

• Those algorithm diagrams seem kinda reversed to me

• I love FM synths! Anyone know if this will become Universal? (Like the OBx app) 👍🚀

• I don’t know enough about the OPL, would this offer something different than KQ Dixie?

• @White said:
    Standalone app requires MIDI keyboard.

<3

I hate those annoying keyboards you cant even hide..

• edited June 2020

@Fingolfinzzz this one has waveforms other than a sine, maybe it's comparable to Phasemaker?

Edit: well, at least in this case we can try the desktop demo: https://www.discodsp.com/opl/

• So, an emulation of a 2 operator FM chip that sounded like crap even way back then. Is this peak 80s nostalgia?

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    So, an emulation of a 2 operator FM chip that sounded like crap even way back then. Is this peak 80s nostalgia?

Add delay and reverb, repeat. Problem solved.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Out of the blue. Looks good. 3 new apps today and a beathawk soundpack. Nice🤘🤘🤘

What were the other 2? I must have missed them

• @auxmux said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    So, an emulation of a 2 operator FM chip that sounded like crap even way back then. Is this peak 80s nostalgia?

Yeah, but that’s your solution for everything 🙂

• @oat_phipps said:

@Charlesalbert said:

Audiokit Retro Piano and AudioTuner. Latest in the "limited" series.

• looks a lot like phosphor... hows she sound?

• Unlike with the OB-Xd app, the OPL app does not expose any parameters in AUv3.

It does start out with a generous amount of presets, however. Though these obviously will not cover as much sonic ground for OPL as the same amount would for a genuine synthesizer. (You may remember that OB-Xd originally came with none.) There are '+' and '-' buttons to get to the next and the previous presets. AUM shows an additional 14 Factory Presets, which are also defined in the Github code and - I surmise - may have been default voicings when these chips were originally employed on the PC.

As with the OB-Xd app from this developer, the export or loading of external presets does not appear to be supported, nor does the plugin show the name of the currently selected preset.

• @Tim6502 said:
    Unlike with the OB-Xd app, the OPL app does not expose any parameters in AUv3.

It does start out with a generous amount of presets, however. Though these obviously will not cover as much sonic ground for OPL as the same amount would for a genuine synthesizer. (You may remember that OB-Xd originally came with none.) There are '+' and '-' buttons to get to the next and the previous presets. AUM shows an additional 14 Factory Presets, which are also defined in the Github code and - I surmise - may have been default voicings when these chips were originally employed on the PC.

As with the OB-Xd app from this developer, the export or loading of external presets does not appear to be supported, nor does the plugin show the name of the currently selected preset.

I might have misunderstood you. This is OPL with parameters exposed, in Cubasis

• I am unable to change the frequency multiplier. Any trick to that?

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@auxmux said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

Yeah, but that’s your solution for everything 🙂

This is true and I'm ok with that. 😁

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Tim6502 said:

Even though a human can interact with this UI, its parameters are not exposed and you cannot record any changes you make into a DAW, such as Cubasis, nor can you interact with the plugin via Midi (e.g. in AUM).

For example, when you load OB-Xd in Cubasis, you can use the red [W] button atop the plugin to write-enable parameter changes, and when you turn knobs this can be recorded onto the track under the (Automation) tab with the parameter names of the knobs you changed. This is not possible with the OPL plugin - it remains simply a black box (with its internal state) to AUM or to Cubasis.

• edited June 2020

@Tim6502 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Tim6502 said:

Even though a human can interact with this UI, its parameters are not exposed and you cannot record any changes you make into a DAW, such as Cubasis, nor can you interact with the plugin via Midi (e.g. in AUM).

For example, when you load OB-Xd in Cubasis, you can use the red [W] button atop the plugin to write-enable parameter changes, and when you turn knobs this can be recorded onto the track under the (Automation) tab with the parameter names of the knobs you changed. This is not possible with the OPL plugin - it remains simply a black box (with its internal state) to AUM or to Cubasis.

Ahh...I get it. Poop

• I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested

• @uncledave said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Charlesalbert said:

Audiokit Retro Piano and AudioTuner. Latest in the "limited" series.

Yes I meant these. Sorry for the late reply.

• .... by Jorge Reales.

So, never on my iPad

• @NoiseFloored said:
    Those algorithm diagrams seem kinda reversed to me

That struck me too...

Hopefully preset saving is not too far off, but considering how long it has taken OB-xd to mature we're looking at sometime next year or so :D

• I’ve always hated those sound chip sounds, I don’t like FM synthesis, and the moment I saw this I said ‘no way’.

But then I watched the video, bought the damn thing, put Alteza after it - and I love it.

This one is going to work really well in a mix...

• @qryss said:
    I’ve always hated those sound chip sounds, I don’t like FM synthesis, and the moment I saw this I said ‘no way’.

But then I watched the video, bought the damn thing, put Alteza after it - and I love it.

This one is going to work really well in a mix...

2OP FM synthesis is easy enough to get started with and considering this one has more waveforms to play with makes capable of a wider variety of sounds...

The 'charm' of this one is the very lo-fi tables it uses for the calculations.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM3812
    (That's the 'chip' it emulates).

Time to get back to 256 step 8-bit sine-wave tables modulating each other :)

• Just a word of caution.

The Pop-Up menus to adjust ratio etc. do not work when using the AUv3 version of the app.
    They work fine in the stand-alone...

• @OnfraySin said:
    .... by Jorge Reales.

So, never on my iPad

It’s the OB-Xd again. Dev releases an app that could be charitably described as an early alpha version. Six to twelve months of anguished piss and moaning from the commentariat follow. We end up with an okayish beta.

Yeah, no.

• Just heard from the dev, the fix for the pop-up menus in AUv3 plug-in is on the way :)

• Like the sound of this, but wary.... I really can't stand it when it takes devs forever to apply fixes to things

• Feedback knob sound very musical, unlike usual aggressive metallic fm tones.