Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FM 304 Groovebox - video export

edited May 2020 in App Tips and Tricks

FM 304 is a fun and affordable app but one of its limitation is that it cannot record and export its audio and it's not Audiobus compatible either.

One workaround is to do a screen recording and then either extract the audio from the video or add audio tracks to it in a video editor.

I did the latter in this video, adding a second audio track of vocal samples from my Memory Collection packs. I exported the video to my PC to edit it but I could have done it with Lumafusion in the iPad too.

Comments

• edited May 2020

@zvon said:
    FM 304 is a fun and affordable app but one of its limitation is that it cannot record and export its audio and it's not Audiobus compatible either.

One workaround is to do a sreen recording and then either extract the audio from the video or add audio tracks to it in a video editor.

I did the latter in this video, adding a second audio track of vocal samples from my Memory Collection packs. I exported the video to my PC to edit it but I could have done it with Lumafusion in the iPad too.

Really cool track, demo, and workaround. Thanks!

Thid is a cool app and you really show it off, and found a way to get it out of its cage

• It’s only £2.99 and I see there is a analogue one called AN1, it’s £2.99 as well.

• @Littlewoodg said:

Really cool track, demo, and workaround. Thanks!

Thid is a cool app and you really show it off, and found a way to get it out of its cage

Thanks, glad you liked it!
    Of course, that tip works with any app, note that screen recording became convenient with iOS 11 or better. Stereo screen recording was introduced in iOS 13.

• o man, you rock this too! I cant believe hthe app isn't more compatible as its ace. Screen capture for sure !

• Isn’t screen capture sound quality an issue?

• edited May 2020

@oceansinspace said:
    o man, you rock this too! I cant believe the app isn't more compatible as its ace. Screen capture for sure !

Thanks!

@gusgranite said:
    Isn’t screen capture sound quality an issue?

Interesting question, I just did a quick search on the internet and did not find any technical data about this. It's plausible that there's some kind of compression involved.

I think quality was not an issue here based on the comparison of what I was hearing through the headphones.
    When I make a video with an app that streams or records its audio directly, I will often use it instead of the screen recorder's audio because it's then easier to process or master in an other app or software.

• @zvon said:

@gusgranite said:

Interesting question, I just did a quick search on the internet and did not find any technical data about this. It's plausible that there's some kind of compression involved.

I think quality was not an issue here based on the comparison of what I was hearing through the headphones.
    When I make a video with an app that streams or records its audio directly, I will often use it instead of the screen recorder's audio because it's then easier to process or master in an other app or software.

I think I read it’s 128kbps which may not always be noticeable but limits your options.

• @gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@zvon said:

@gusgranite said:

I think I read it’s 128kbps which may not always be noticeable but limits your options.

Maybe someone will post some technical info about this.

• @zvon said:

@gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@zvon said:

@gusgranite said:

Maybe someone will post some technical info about this.

When you look at a recording in MediaInfo the audio bitrate is 128kb/s @ 44100 Hz

• I've been on ios way to long to fall for Design by Paul apps.

• I’ve bought the app when it exits and it sounds so good. It is a real pity it does not have Audiobus. I’ve tried to send Paul some mail but I got zero answer😂😂😂

• I am shocked its 128 as it sounds way better? I mean I upload screenshares and while I know its no pro pro I was usually happy as the non audiophile and hd screen made me pleased....
    This and the analog groove box in tandem would blow up the universe (that's good). Add midi and sync connect we are all going to send beamrays to your mind if its difficult. Love the Paul

• @gusgranite said:
    When you look at a recording in MediaInfo the audio bitrate is 128kb/s @ 44100 Hz

Thanks, I was not aware of this app.

• For those who may have missed the last update, all 3 Design by Paul grooveboxes now support Audiobus and Inter-App audio!