Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Compressor of Choice

I’m wondering what everyone’s preferred compressor is. I like 4Pockets SidechainFX for sidechaining but haven’t used it for actual compression. And I think compression is something that has been missing in my life. What compressors are out there that I might be missing.

I do also have RoughRider 3. Do I have the best stuff out there?

Comments

• magic death eye hands down.

• Korvpressor from Klevgrand one hand on your hip and the other waving around 😀

• @shinyisshiny said:
    magic death eye hands down.

What makes it worth the cost? It’s pretty hefty.

• @robosardine said:
    Korvpressor from Klevgrand one hand on your hip and the other waving around 😀

Klevgrand has been very hit-and-miss for me. Grand Finale and Brusfri are pretty good but their instruments are not that great in my opinion.

• Just on ios? If just ios, then either fabfilter pro-c or psp old timer in auria.

On mac, the uad LA-2A and fairchild are both really great.

I also love my electro-harmonix black finger pedal, that’s a great sound in front of an amp. Someday I will get around to using my reamp box to try it on other tracks that have already been recorded.

• @DukeWonder said:
    I’m wondering what everyone’s preferred compressor is. I like 4Pockets SidechainFX for sidechaining but haven’t used it for actual compression. And I think compression is something that has been missing in my life. What compressors are out there that I might be missing.

I think there are really 3 different app types we call "compressors":
    1. Sound shaping "coloring" compressors - Magic Death Eye. Often used to "glue" a finished mix together. MDE's model studio hardware with real tube electronic coloring.
    2. Side-chain capable "auto volume" knobs - Woodpressor for example.
    3. In line volume knobs - Blue Mangoo's Mix bus Compressor with no added harmonics, latency or noise.

MDE does support side-chaining but it uses a lot of resources in that mode so it needs to be used very carefully. Great modeling is CPU intensive.

I suspect the Korvpressor is also a #3. I love it's UI. But I'm #1 all the way. Give me added colors, warmth and tube saturation... like ReAmp provides but times 10 if that helps.

DDMF also has the $10 "NYCompressor" that does side-chaining and is "transparent" (no coloring) so 2 and 3. But it's seems to add a bit of color too for "glue".

I can't tell if you would value coloring or not. I love tubes and what they do to electronics anywhere in the
    studio. Solid-State is pristine... and cold as a refrigerator. Tubes glow and warm the room up and make my ears feel better about sound waves. I'd save up for the tubes and use the rough rider for volume management but I have have explained why. You might get more use from a side-chaining NYCompressor.

• @DukeWonder said:

@robosardine said:

Klevgrand has been very hit-and-miss for me. Grand Finale and Brusfri are pretty good but their instruments are not that great in my opinion.

@DukeWonder said:

@robosardine said:

@DukeWonder i agree about the klevgrand its a character compressor but it sort of makes my music sound thinner. It is ok ish on high frequency stuff though

• FabFilter Pro-C 2 or Pro-MB

• @DukeWonder theres a massive thread on here pretty recently about it. Its built with the guy who builds the actual hardware compressors, and the quality is absurd. The real analog unit is famous for being used in Capitol records mastering facility.

It brings a mix to life with just a couple db of compression. Really glues things together and gets things moving nicely. I use it on busses, master, and individual tracks if needed.

Fabfilter stuff is great too. The pro-c is a handy tool and can be used for more precision work. The Pro MB is another great tool that can help tame wild drum loops, crazy modular synth madness, or your master channel. Its very transparent, which is nice.

TB Barricade is also pretty decent. Can get the job done for a pretty good cost.

In my opinion, Korvpressor is not good. I bought it because the UI looked cool, and never use it. It sounds thin and has limited control.

• MagicDeathEyeStereo does sidechaining.

NYCompressor also does mid/side compression separately and with a different sidechain source for each simultaneously.

• Audiodamage Channel Strip includes a gate and a parametric EQ with the compressor, but no sidechain.

• Thanks everyone. I’ll have to look into some of these.

• @jolico said:
    Audiodamage Channel Strip includes a gate and a parametric EQ with the compressor, but no sidechain.

I forgot about channel strip. I was using it for a bit, might revisit.

• @DukeWonder said:

@jolico said:
    Audiodamage Channel Strip includes a gate and a parametric EQ with the compressor, but no sidechain.

I forgot about channel strip. I was using it for a bit, might revisit.

I really like the wave level displays for the gate and compressor, but they distract me from listening to the sound.

• edited May 2020

@DukeWonder said:

@shinyisshiny said:
    magic death eye hands down.

What makes it worth the cost? It’s pretty hefty.

hardware compressor signal analysis and measurement, with input ( questions answered ) from the hardware designer. the hardware is tube, hand wound transfomers, and based on the Fairchild 660. ddmf have been around for a good while and have a good reputation for making high quality plugins.

• edited May 2020

Since I use Nanostudio 2 and mostly produce Dance music (Trance being number one genre of choice), I just usually make use of the internal compressor for sidechaining and "everyday" usage. I use Barkfilter's Tripleband preset (with autogain turned off) to glue things together (it's a form of multiband compression). I use MagicDeathEyeStereo on the master bus to give the overall mix some character (and to use that handy highpass filter switch to tighten the mix). These are just my personal preferences and usages of course.

• My all time favourites are usually something along the line of 1176. So for me the free AD RoughRider2 and 3 cover a lot of ground and way more versatile than a 1:1 copy. NYcomp when I need m/s, for me it's too colourful on master but pretty good on some busses. TB Barricade and EQ (dyn) for precision and special needs. The one in NS2 is very good sounding but for me audio tracks are crucial so that one is on bypass for now.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    My all time favourites are usually something along the line of 1176. So for me the free AD RoughRider2 and 3 cover a lot of ground and way more versatile than a 1:1 copy. NYcomp when I need m/s, for me it's too colourful on master but pretty good on some busses. TB Barricade and EQ (dyn) for precision and special needs. The one in NS2 is very good sounding but for me audio tracks are crucial so that one is on bypass for now.

I haven’t used Barricade on individual channels or busses. So far it has only been on my master channel. May have to try expanding my usage.

• @DukeWonder said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    My all time favourites are usually something along the line of 1176. So for me the free AD RoughRider2 and 3 cover a lot of ground and way more versatile than a 1:1 copy. NYcomp when I need m/s, for me it's too colourful on master but pretty good on some busses. TB Barricade and EQ (dyn) for precision and special needs. The one in NS2 is very good sounding but for me audio tracks are crucial so that one is on bypass for now.

I haven’t used Barricade on individual channels or busses. So far it has only been on my master channel. May have to try expanding my usage.

It's intended as a bus/master comp for sure, but it's very versatile and in my collection it covers the transparent comp role.

• I wish barricade did side chaining - it’s a very versatile compressor.

• @cian said:
    I wish barricade did side chaining - it’s a very versatile compressor.

That would be fantastic.

• @DukeWonder said:

Fab Filter C2, tells you accurately what’s goin on

• @mojozart said:
    FabFilter Pro-C 2 or Pro-MB

+1

• edited May 2020

DDMF for the fatness

• Either Rough Rider, the Cubase 3 Comp, Barricade. I could go for a nice visual comp like Pro-C without the price tag. I suppose that is Barricade but, meh, not really from my POV.

• When choosing an air compressor, you must first understand the

(1) Compressed air application

(2) Minimum operating pressure and

(3) The demand air volume at the tip and off the peak. If the difference between the highest and lowest operating pressure reaches 3bar, you must consider the "high and low pressure diversion", and then choose different types of air compressors according to the changes in the peak and off-peak burdens, such as the "base load" using centrifugal (single machine> 75CMM) or spiral type (single machine <60CMM): "Variable load" uses a high-pressure air machine and a large air tank to respond.

(4) Different forms and grades of dryers and precision filters are selected and configured according to different gas quality. Too good quality wastes energy, and insufficient quality affects the production process, which must be carefully considered.

(5) The control technology of the air machine is changing with each passing day. The technologies such as "multi-machine interlocking", "variable frequency transmission" and "remote monitoring" can effectively suppress the waste of centrifugal BOV and spiral empty cars (saving electricity costs by 25-40%) , Reduce the capacity and investment of the standby machine (15-30%), and stabilize the air supply pressure (plus or minus 0.1 bar). Air machine

(6) The operating efficiency cannot only be compared with the nominal horsepower and air volume in the catalog, but the focus is on the actual "performance curve" and "air volume per horse".

(7) The installation considers the size of the computer room space. Ventilation conditions, noise isolation, waste heat, waste water recycling, etc. all induce energy use. In addition, "centralized" has lower installation, maintenance and control costs than "distributed", and can also reduce peripheral equipment.

(8) As for the cooling methods, there are two types of cooling methods: air cooling and water cooling. Air cooling does not require additional investment in cooling tower rainwater, but it must have good ventilation: water cooling is that the operating temperature is not affected by the environment and is beneficial to the life of the air compressor. There are shortcomings of icing burst and blockage.You can find more info here https://okmarts.com/ Tecumseh Refrigeration Compressor, LG Refrigeration Compressor

(9) The power supply planning voltage demand and the stability of the voltage drop must be required. The centrifuge is usually high-voltage and cannot be moved at all. It will cause an impact on the grid when starting, and it should be kept in regular operation.

(10) The maintenance room must have appropriate maintenance space, necessary lifting facilities and access channels, and the engineering personnel and maintenance should also be given different professional maintenance training.

• @Ailerom said:
    Either Rough Rider, the Cubase 3 Comp, Barricade. I could go for a nice visual comp like Pro-C without the price tag. I suppose that is Barricade but, meh, not really from my POV.

Not TBBarricade. That’s the limiter with built in clipper and compressor.

TBCompressor is their advanced super compressor.

• @jolico said:

@Ailerom said:
    Either Rough Rider, the Cubase 3 Comp, Barricade. I could go for a nice visual comp like Pro-C without the price tag. I suppose that is Barricade but, meh, not really from my POV.

Not TBBarricade. That’s the limiter with built in clipper and compressor.

TBCompressor is their advanced super compressor.

Well, they call it a compressor and limiter so that was good enough for me. Plus I wrote that before TB Comp was out.

"Barricade 4

Transparent, mastering-grade
    true-peak compressor and limiter"