Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tutorial Video Length

edited May 2020 in App Tips and Tricks

For my first video tutorial about Zenbeats I noticed that out of around 100 views the average view time was about 2 minutes for an 11 minute video. What would you rather see in a tutorial? A longer, more detailed video (10 minutes or so)? Or a quick bite (2-3 minutes)? Of course this depends on the subject matter and level of interest but I'm curious what others think. Thanks!

Tutorial Video Length
  1. What length for a tutorial?11 votes
    1. Around 10 minutes
      54.55%
    2. 2-3 minutes
        9.09%
    3. Other - explain below
      36.36%

Comments

• To be honest, I will really like the 3-6 minute range. If you do a longer video, utilize the time stamp feature. Good luck

• I don’t think it has to do with length. I mean, initially I though that one of my most successful unboxing videos was a bit on the long side, but after it got all these millions of views, I realised that wasn’t such an important thing.

• Hey Anickt, I think that that is just the nature of YouTube, I noticed similar things with my tutorials. A lot of people are curious and want to check something out but may not continue watching, or may come back to it later.

Particularly if people are clicking on a video through this forum, they may come across it and be curious but don’t want to invest the time at that particular moment.

I don’t think it is possible to do much in 2-3 mins! I think 10 minimum is really fine. As your channel builds and you have more subscribers, I’d imagine that more subscribers will watch the full vid the whole way through.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    To be honest, I will really like the 3-6 minute range. If you do a longer video, utilize the time stamp feature. Good luck

@u0421793 said:
    I don’t think it has to do with length. I mean, initially I though that one of my most successful unboxing videos was a bit on the long side, but after it got all these millions of views, I realised that wasn’t such an important thing.

@Gavinski said:
    Hey Anickt, I think that that is just the nature of YouTube, I noticed similar things with my tutorials. A lot of people are curious and want to check something out but may not continue watching, or may come back to it later.

Particularly if people are clicking on a video through this forum, they may come across it and be curious but don’t want to invest the time at that particular moment.

I don’t think it is possible to do much in 2-3 mins! I think 10 minimum is really fine. As your channel builds and you have more subscribers, I’d imagine that more subscribers will watch the full vid the whole way through.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I promised myself I would do this for fun and not over-think it! :D

• Really depends upon the video. For more it's less the length and more density. I tend to stop watching tutorials that have a lot of filler, or take ages to get to the point.

I do appreciate people who break up tutorials into multiple videos though. Quite a few of the community Drambo videos have been like that, and it's a nice format. 3-4 minutes isn't a huge commitment, but over the duration of a playlist there's a lot of meat there.

• @anickt said:
    For my first video tutorial about Zenbeats I noticed that out of around 100 views the average view time was about 2 minutes for an 11 minute video. What would you rather see in a tutorial? A longer, more detailed video (10 minutes or so)? Or a quick bite (2-3 minutes)? Of course this depends on the subject matter and level of interest but I'm curious what others think. Thanks!

It depends on the content. For a lot of things 2-4 minutes is the right amount of time. For some things longer is better. While YouTube’s algorithms push people to publish longer videos, for a lot of things people’s attention spans are short. A friend that has done a lot of research about effective teaching via videos made a pretty strong case that short focused videos are more effective for conveying lessons than long videos .... when the information is encapsulatable.

• edited May 2020

@u0421793 said:
    I don’t think it has to do with length. I mean, initially I though that one of my most successful unboxing videos was a bit on the long side, but after it got all these millions of views, I realised that wasn’t such an important thing.

:D :D :D

I prefer bite-sized shorter videos as well. I usually watch longer ones in bits and pieces. Short attention span, I guess.

• I’m grateful for any video rather than no video. The ones I like most though are the ones that give a fairly in depth view, but with the index at the side so that you can jump straight to it (you may already be familiar with the app) or come back and find the bit you are looking for. I suppose an alternative would be lots of little videos which I quite like- again you can easily find what you are looking for.

• Loved the wave of the hands at the end, actually made me laugh out loud

@u0421793 said:

• I like the SoundForMore approach. Separate vids for different aspects of an app.

Example:

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    I like the SoundForMore approach. Separate vids for different aspects of an app.

Example:

Yep. The SoundForMore videos are about right. I also agree with 3-6min. Best to get to the point and keep it moving.

• If I see a tutorial, I’d rather see one than 4 or 5 so 10 minutes it’s ok for me. That’s for apps, synths and effects. A daw or more complex apps (Samplr) I can take in more than one take but honestly, 2 or 3 minute videos are too short for me.

• For me too, far too short

• It depends on the app and it depends on what I really want from a video. I'd say longer is better in general. Especially when I am interested in all the different functions of an app then longer vids are obviously more interesting. Sometimes I might not be interested in the whole app but only specific aspects then I'll usually only skip around like mad.
    I think quality is much more important than quantity in such videos. The first few seconds will decide if I continue watching or skip ahead for a minute or two.

• edited May 2020

@anickt I'm grateful you're doing it. Do this for fun don't over-think it!

EDIT: You're also far too self-effacing. Should have put the link in! :)

• I like short videos. One or two minutes. Can't watch videos longer then 10 munutes.

• To me it seems that the obvious thing is: if a video is longer, people who like longer vids will like it. Amd those who like shorter videos, if sufficiently interested, will watch a little and come back to watch the next section another time. Since YouTube will resume from where they left off, this way everyone can get what they want - as long as you put timestamps.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @anickt I'm grateful you're doing it. Do this for fun don't over-think it!

EDIT: You're also far too self-effacing. Should have put the link in! :)

Always the gentleman @JohnnyGoodyear Thanks! You must have missed this:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39206/tutorial-loop-chopping-in-zenbeats