Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Huge updates to AudioShare and AUM

Comments

• The show plugin for IAA is so amazing. Thank you @j_liljedahl for all your great work.

I am wondering if there is any way to add midi thru behaviour to this workflow within AUM.

In Xequence you can set Midi Thru so your keyboard or controller only sends midi on current selected track/midi channel.

Would be awesome have this midi thru behaviour within AUM.

Midi note trigger ----> Show Plugin 1 ----> Send incoming midi only to channel 1
    Midi note trigger ----> Show Plugin 2 ----> Send incoming midi only to channel 2

Anyone has an idea if this can be done?

• @SimonSomeone said:

@j_liljedahl working a treat!

Good idea using Beatstep for this. I need to find uses for mine. This will be helpful.

• edited May 2020

@tpj
    In AUM there is no 'selected track' it would have to go around the midi matrix/user settings.
    You can filter channels on receiver side (instrument). Or if the instrument doesn't allow that you can send midi through a midiFX that can. I'm using MIDI Clone&Filter for this.
    You can also save these settings as presets and recall those presets with a note trigger... so assigning the same note to switch preset and show plugin should get you there.

• tpjtpj
    edited May 2020

@0tolerance4silence said:

@tpj
    In AUM there is no 'selected track' it would have to go around the midi matrix/user settings.
    You can filter channels on receiver side (instrument). Or if the instrument doesn't allow that you can send midi through a midiFX that can. I'm using MIDI Clone&Filter for this.
    You can also save these settings as presets and recall those presets with a note trigger... so assigning the same note to switch preset and show plugin should get you there.

Thank you! I will check that out.

• @tpj said:

@tpj

Thank you! I will check that out.

Just tried it and it works fine. (well, except the usual IAA troubles... kinda forgot about that)

• edited May 2020

@tpj

All switching back and forth is done from midi keyboard... same triggers changing preset on MIDI Clone&Filter.
    You have to filter those notes off from the instruments...

• @tpj said:
    I am wondering if there is any way to add midi thru behaviour to this workflow within AUM.

I totally get what you want, I'd love something like this. My proposal for Jonatan is to either 1) allow the internal keyboard to receive and pass thru MIDI (so you can easily switch which app receives input by double tapping its hamburger menu or tapping the keyboard icon) or 2) make the MIDI device that these two gestures change customizable.

• R> @auxmux said:

@j_liljedahl working a treat!

Good idea using Beatstep for this. I need to find uses for mine. This will be helpful.

Just a note, I had to change the CC settings for those pads from toggle to ... gate?, I think it is? The other option anyway. Otherwise I'd have to press the pad twice.

I also like using it for switching amplitube FX on or off, as the lit buttons show whether an effect is active or not. Thsi is my only unit with lit pads so it seemed like a big deal when I discovered that!

• @tpj said:
    The IAA show plugin is so amazing. Thank you for your amazing work @j_liljedahl :)

I am wondering if it's possible to have midi thru added to this mix.
    Xequence or Grooverider have Midi Thru for current selected track so you can use a midi controller set to 1 channel and use it on any current selected channel.

Is there any way possible to get this behaviour using the same trigger as Show Plugin?

Midi note C1 ----> Show Plugin 1 ----> Send incoming midi to Channel 1
    Midi note C# ----> Show Plugin 2----> Send incoming midi to Channel 2

If anyone has an idea then I would like to hear it!

@tpj

All switching back and forth is done from midi keyboard... same triggers changing preset on MIDI Clone&Filter.
    You have to filter those notes off from the instruments...

Thank you so much for showing this way! 👍🏻

• edited May 2020

@ion677 said:
    @j_liljedahl thanks for your fantastic work on AUM. I use it everyday. Wondering if it’d be possible to have transport controls from a qwerty keyboard? I’m used to hitting that space bar to start stuff :)

+1. Would be lovely. I use the iPad with Smart Keyboard and have been longing for kbd support.

Also, using the Smart Keyboard to control AUMs internal keyboard would be amazing - playing notes from the kbd similar to Model 15’s keyboard support would be AWESOME, even with the supposed limitations on keyboard events in iOS. It would basically eliminate the need for on-screen keyboard for most of the ”noodling” usecases and save lots of screen estate when you don’t have a midi controller handy.

My wishlist key mapping would be something like
    SPACE - start/stop.
    LEFT ARROW - |<
    ENTER - rec
    AWSEDFTGYHUJK - notes C3-C4
    ZX - octave -+
    CV - velocity -+
    1-0 - ”select” channel 1-0. Tap again, and again for mute/unmute toggle

....one can dream!

(EDIT: Just played around with the keyboard support in Model 15. It’s really amazing and a great inspiration on how a thing like this could be implemented)

• Anyone cares to explain what is "switch to AUM " useful for? I don't get this new function on the update.

• @Vlad11 said:
    Anyone cares to explain what is "switch to AUM " useful for? I don't get this new function on the update.

You can assign midi messages (note, cc, pc) to switch to IAA and back.

• edited May 2020

@Vlad11 said:
    Anyone cares to explain what is "switch to AUM " useful for? I don't get this new function on the update.

You can assign midi messages (note, cc, pc) to switch to IAA and back.

Aha... now I get it. I'm going to try it. Thanx.

(Edit) Damn. I realized just right now that the answer was a couple of comments back on this same post. I didnt care to have the time to read. Sorry. 😄

• Possibly, when adding a folder to AS does it double storage size/copy or use a link to the original folders. ?

@j_liljedahl said:

Not sure what you mean about duplicating files, though?

• Hi
    Since the last update, I have tried to use Bluetooth to connect iPad pro 2018 11" to my iPad mini 2.
    Now neither device is recognised.
    Weather I try master or periferral on either iPad, they can't see each other.
    But when I open aum on both iPads,
    The link bar flashes up on both ipads, so some form of recognition is taking place
    Any help would be appreciated, as AUM is the heart of my setup

• @Nicebutfun said:
    Hi
    Since the last update, I have tried to use Bluetooth to connect iPad pro 2018 11" to my iPad mini 2.
    The link bar flashes up on both ipads, so some form of recognition is taking place

Have you tried rebooting both devices? The AUM update didn't touch anything related to bluetooth, which is handled fully by the iOS system itself anyway.. All we developers can do is to ask iOS to present those two bluetooth-midi screens, the rest is handled by iOS.

• @liljedahl
    Thanks for the reply, thanks for my most used app on iPad
    Tried rebooting but not working, will try again this afternoon
    Also finding bm3 refusing to load.
    Tried opening bm3 first, then AUM, and in opposite order, BM3 won't load in audiobus either
    But would also like to say that without AUM I would of been back on laptop, your app definitely kicks arse
    Little idea, where you have the book mark icon bottom right, any chance you could have say, up to 5 coloured icons that allow you to quickly jump to a lane from your choice of coloured bookmark, so that way navigating a large project would be easier, and you wouldn't need to open the bookmark menu, to then choose a book mark, just an idea
    Thanks and stay safe

• One thing I hope happens at some point is being able have a “user default template” load up automatically. It’s my favorite feature in Ableton. That way a can hit the ground running with all I/O assigned, Auxes populated, Instruments on tracks, etc. Or is it already possible and I’m just being dense (happens everyday)? I’ve already created & saved a template like this but I’d be nice if it just loaded on launch.

Anyways, love AUM. Would not be using an iPad for music otherwise.

Cheers.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@Nicebutfun said:
    Hi

Check whether or not you can connect using AudioBus or any other Bluetooth MIDI enabled app. That'll help narrow it down.

Also, go to Settings > Bluetooth on each device and make sure the other device isn't listed there. If it is, then tell iOS to forget the connection. I'm guessing the problem isn't limited to just AUM.

Lastly, probably not the case for you, but I had problems once when my device was unknowingly connecting to another device that I forgot I had left on. Since it was already connected to something, it wouldn't connect to the device I was trying to connect it to.

• Cheers @wim
    Will try tonight

• the files in AS that you assign to AUM are just links - not copies of the actual file.

• So tried again to link 2 iPads using Aum.
    On the settings page for choosing master and periferral, the pads don't see each other.
    But the link bar at the top flashes green.
    I can then select the other pad through the midi pages etc, so it is working well.
    Thanks for all ya help, and just 1 more shout for the amazing AUM, it's the glue to my noise making dreams

Shame noise making doesn't make dollars, but hell it keeps me happy

• @j_liljedahl I have found the "Add as FilePlayer in AUM" feature in AudioShare to be one of those huge time-savers in my workflow that I didn't know I needed until now. One request: can you make it an option after selecting multiple files in AudioShare? Often I record a bunch of tracks at once to AudioShare and would like to quickly bring them back to AUM for mixing/mastering. Right now, I have to transfer them one-by-one from AS to AUM. Thanks for considering it!

• @Apex said:
    One thing I hope happens at some point is being able have a “user default template” load up automatically. It’s my favorite feature in Ableton. That way a can hit the ground running with all I/O assigned, Auxes populated, Instruments on tracks, etc. Or is it already possible and I’m just being dense (happens everyday)? I’ve already created & saved a template like this but I’d be nice if it just loaded on launch.

Anyways, love AUM. Would not be using an iPad for music otherwise.

Cheers.

That would be good....before then it is possible to make a shortcut to open AUM templates with iOS shortcuts app and then put this on a widget. You copy the templates into the shortcuts folder and use “get file” and “open file” in AUM.

Works well, so I’m going to set up a few different shortcuts myself :)

• tpjtpj
    edited June 2020

@j_liljedahl

I was thinking about a feature for recording audio in AUM. Its great you can use the quantum sync to start/stop recordings with a fixed bar bount.

I was wondering if its possible to have a 'auto split' for long takes.

For example you record a long take and when you stop recording the clip gets split into 1,2,4,8,16 bar audio clips based on the quantum setting.

You can do this in cubasis or multitrack by just overdubbing within loop playback which will create seperate clips based on the loop length when you stop recording.

Would be amazing to have this option in AUM!

Thank you!

• edited June 2020

is there a way to copy paste a track in Aum ? for ex : track 1 is bleass alpha with fac alteza and reamp etc . copy and paste on track 2 etc

@tpj great suggestion !

• @mlau Yep, click on the bottommost part of the channel where it says e.g. 1: Bleass Alpha. Then you'll get a pop-up with the option to duplicate the channel, remove, or rename it.

• @aleyas 👍🐳👍

• Would be super nice to see built-in support for the Apple AUv3's in AUM...
    ...it would be enough with value sliders or value entry similar to those GarageBand when using Apple AUv3's.
    (Twisted Wave makes extensive use of the Apple AUv3's with simple value boxes).

I would especially love to see the Apple AUDynamicsProcessor...
    ...it's got a good gate/downward-expander, compressor/limiter and good amount of makeup gain when needed.

Cheers!

• Hello!
    Long time lurker first time poster, don’t know if this is the best place to post this but;

I’m having an issue with AUM on my iPad that I’m not experiencing on my iPhone.

On the iPad I’m not seeing any midi or audio unit icons, only get text

This only occurred on the iPad after updating to ios14 (no problems on iPhone on ios14).

It’s a 2015 iPad Pro, I’ve deleted and reinstalled AUM but still the same issue.

Anyone else seen this or know how to sort it? I’m amazed how much I’ve relied on picking synths & midi apps by their icon rather than name!

Please feel free to take the piss/mock me if I’ve missed something obvious....