Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Connecting Boss GP-10 into iPadOS by USB?

Hi there!

I would like to know if someone have been tried to use the GP- 10 USB interface to route audio and midi for recording and controlling apps. And if it’s affirmative, how to do it.

Thanks for attention!

Comments

• I had a GP-10. I sold it. It is not USB class compliant unfortunately.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    I had a GP-10. I sold it. It is not USB class compliant unfortunately.

Unfortunately is a bad news... Thank you so much for replying!

• You need to use a secondary interface and go analog from GP-10 into that. As far as MIDI I/O is concerned, you can get a box called a MIDX-20 from a guy in Sweden who custom builds them (Primova). It connects to the USB out of the GP-10 and than has DIN outputs so you can connect it to your 2nd interface if it has MIDI in/out or use a DIN<->USB adaptor cable (I use a UM-One mk.2). This works and it's fine but it was really really really dumb for Roland not to make it class compliant (same for the SY-1000).

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    You need to use a secondary interface and go analog from GP-10 into that. As far as MIDI I/O is concerned, you can get a box called a MIDX-20 from a guy in Sweden who custom builds them (Primova). It connects to the USB out of the GP-10 and than has DIN outputs so you can connect it to your 2nd interface if it has MIDI in/out or use a DIN<->USB adaptor cable (I use a UM-One mk.2). This works and it's fine but it was really really really dumb for Roland not to make it class compliant (same for the SY-1000).

Wow! It helps a lot!!! Thanks!
    I’ll check it out!
    And I’m very surprised about SY-1000... Awesome guitar synth, but much expensive to not be midi class complaint.

• Unlike GP-10, SY-1000 has DIN connectors so it's easy to connect to a Focusrite. You can use a BLE MIDI dongle to connect directly to an iPad.

• @RenattoVaz said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:
    You need to use a secondary interface and go analog from GP-10 into that. As far as MIDI I/O is concerned, you can get a box called a MIDX-20 from a guy in Sweden who custom builds them (Primova). It connects to the USB out of the GP-10 and than has DIN outputs so you can connect it to your 2nd interface if it has MIDI in/out or use a DIN<->USB adaptor cable (I use a UM-One mk.2). This works and it's fine but it was really really really dumb for Roland not to make it class compliant (same for the SY-1000).

I’ll check it out!
    And I’m very surprised about SY-1000... Awesome guitar synth, but much expensive to not be midi class complaint.

Buy RoxSyn by Yonac. Way better than any guitar synth that you can buy. And it's only 27$. Wait for the Black Friday, and you will pay like 8$. Yonac apps are often in reduction (thanks to AppSliced).

• edited May 2020

@Montreal_Music said:

@RenattoVaz said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

I’ll check it out!

Buy RoxSyn by Yonac. Way better than any guitar synth that you can buy. And it's only 27$. Wait for the Black Friday, and you will pay like 8$. Yonac apps are often in reduction (thanks to AppSliced).

RoxSyn is a fun (and cheap) app. I bought it on its release and have played with it a fair bit. But it's a toy compared to the Boss/Roland devices; completely different experiences. But that said, there's nothing stopping you from using both :)

• Guys, thanks for all of your tips!

• @Vaultnaemsae said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@RenattoVaz said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

I’ll check it out!

RoxSyn is a fun (and cheap) app. I bought it on its release and have played with it a fair bit. But it's a toy compared to the Boss/Roland devices; completely different experiences. But that said, there's nothing stopping you from using both :)

I’m never sure what people means when they said that an app/software/piece or gear is a toy.

I sold my GP-10 because of the latency. For me, latency is a big turn off. I know that the SY-1000 is not midi so I’m guessing that the latency is not an issue. Obviously, you have more options with the SY-1000 but it obviously more expensive. It depend on what you need I guess.

For me, Roxsyn makes the job when I want a synth sound with my guitar. I’m not ashamed of the sound. The sounds you can generate with this app are not all great, but I can say the same thing for the SY-1000. The difference in sound quality between app and « pro-gear » is not obvious. I bought a lot of used gear on Kijiji, Craiglist, Ebay, Reverb over the time, and I feel a little bit of a snobish mindset in the mind of some people. Maybe I’m wrong.

With the technology, we can make a 8$ IOS synth sound as good as a 2000$ hardware synth. To me, Sunrizer sound as good as the Juno my father bought 25 years ago for an arm and a leg. I’m lacking raffinements but I often can not hear the difference in quality sound between a Joyo pedal and a « boutique » pedal or between an analog delay and a delay you can find in a Zoom pedal. Some Joyo pedal sound terrible and are « toys » but some are top notch.

I love my Zoom CDR-70 and one of my friends call it « a toy ». To me, my 140$ pedal sound as good as a 2000$ pro Lexicon reverb that some people bought in 1990. Like computer, music gear evolve quickly.

I was a little bit off topic, but I just wanted to share somes thoughts.

• I had the SY-1000 for a few months. It was a pretty cool but the USB to MIDI latency was to high for me. Someone told me the MIDI out had better latency, but I was not able to test it. I am now planing to try (6) of the new to be released Sonicsmith ConVertor E1 perhaps with the SynQuaNon 13-pin breakout perhaps in conjunction with an expertsleepers ES-8 or ES-9.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@RenattoVaz said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

I’ll check it out!

I’m never sure what people means when they said that an app/software/piece or gear is a toy.

I sold my GP-10 because of the latency. For me, latency is a big turn off. I know that the SY-1000 is not midi so I’m guessing that the latency is not an issue. Obviously, you have more options with the SY-1000 but it obviously more expensive. It depend on what you need I guess.

For me, Roxsyn makes the job when I want a synth sound with my guitar. I’m not ashamed of the sound. The sounds you can generate with this app are not all great, but I can say the same thing for the SY-1000. The difference in sound quality between app and « pro-gear » is not obvious. I bought a lot of used gear on Kijiji, Craiglist, Ebay, Reverb over the time, and I feel a little bit of a snobish mindset in the mind of some people. Maybe I’m wrong.

With the technology, we can make a 8$ IOS synth sound as good as a 2000$ hardware synth. To me, Sunrizer sound as good as the Juno my father bought 25 years ago for an arm and a leg. I’m lacking raffinements but I often can not hear the difference in quality sound between a Joyo pedal and a « boutique » pedal or between an analog delay and a delay you can find in a Zoom pedal. Some Joyo pedal sound terrible and are « toys » but some are top notch.

I love my Zoom CDR-70 and one of my friends call it « a toy ». To me, my 140$ pedal sound as good as a 2000$ pro Lexicon reverb that some people bought in 1990. Like computer, music gear evolve quickly.

I was a little bit off topic, but I just wanted to share somes thoughts.

Yeah, I hear ya. Price isn't really the issue when it comes to sound; especially in our iOS age where you can have a badass synth for $10 or less sometimes.

When I say "toy" (and it wasn't intended to be snobby or cork sniffy) it was a reference to the feature set of the hardware guitar synth/modeling devices (expansive) vs RoxSyn (limited). Of course use case depends on each person's preferences.

For me, I make a lot of use of the guitar/instrument modeling in the SY/VG/GP gear. There is no app that will do that and probably never will be for fairly obvious reasons. Whatever helps you fulfill your musical ideas is the right thing for you.

• @nerVe said:
    I had the SY-1000 for a few months. It was a pretty cool but the USB to MIDI latency was to high for me. Someone told me the MIDI out had better latency, but I was not able to test it. I am now planing to try (6) of the new to be released Sonicsmith ConVertor E1 perhaps with the SynQuaNon 13-pin breakout perhaps in conjunction with an expertsleepers ES-8 or ES-9.

Hmmm, I just recorded a guitar synth solo for a friend's recording today using the SY-1000 to control some softsynths in Logic Pro X (MIDI over USB) and it tracks 16th note triplets at 120 BPM with no trouble. I always tweak the MIDI to get it absolutely perfect after it's been recorded but I've happily used my GP-10 live in the past and had no worries about its Pitch-to-MIDI capabilities. You'll have different tolerances depending on the use case though.

Of course if you're in iOS land with an SY-1000 you'll need to use the DIN MIDI out. I've had good results with that too.

I hypothesize that a lot of dissatisfied users of Boss/Roland guitar synth gear haven't optimized their settings/guitar setup/technique.

Definitely curious about those devices you mentioned and sure the journey will be a tonne of fun for you.

• Yeah...Useable for sure... Sy-1000 is a versatile all in one guitar unit. Desert Island swiss army knife kinda unit for sure.

I wanted improved latency, with USB and with the internal oscillators, even after optimization. The rest of the unit features are redundant to me (again aside from being all in one). I hope the Sonicsmith stuff feels more natural.

• edited May 2020

There's a lot of discussion about SY-1000 and GP-10 over at VGuitarForums, but I doubt that many of the participants over there are aware of all the things an iPad can provide.

I love the SY-1000, but I also appreciate that I can extend it using iPad apps created by hardware manufacturers like Eventide, Korg, Moog, MOOER and Novation (who did I leave out?). I can use any number of AU plugins at a fraction of their cost on the desktop, as well as the many great apps that only exist on the iPad. I can even do MIDI processing using MidiFire and Mozaic. I can record, edit, and mix. It's great to have an SY-1000 at my feet and an iPad at my fingertips!