Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Erik Sigth Love

Seriously love Shapesynth and Tardigrain. I cut a lot of apps off my phone when I got my iPad but these two have not left. I’ve been using them to create some video game tunes and sounds for a project I’m part of.

Anyone else out here appreciating Erik’s unique apps?

Edit: How could I forget Strng?

Comments

• t-a-r-d-i-g-r-a-i-n- is a classic. every time i open it up i fall in love again

• Tardigrain is a pearl in iOS music🙌

• I love'em all! Sinusoid, Nils, E-L-S-A, Frekvens besides what has been mentioned already.
    And including the fallen Voice Bot and Brother

He was the first dev I ever assigned a dedicated folder :lol:

• edited May 2020

I literally just bought 5 as a lockdown/birthday gift to myself:
    Tardigrain, Shapesynth, e-l-s-a, frekvens and the wonderful strng. All AUv3 and low cost.

Reminds me instantly of OP-1 which will always be way outside my budget.

These apps are beautiful, minimalist, inspiring and playful. Not to mention sounding absolutely amazing.
    Most of the time I don't know what I'm doing - but I think that's the idea. Just play...

• I have to agree. I have had elsa for awhile and just got Shapesynth. I think it took me awhile to understand how good these apps are. Persistence is rewarded I think. I really love the sound of Shapesynth.

• I already have Tardigrain. Is it a waste of money if I buy e-l-s-a ? I'm curious to buy this app, but I feel that the 2 apps are similars and I maybe have a GAS problem!

• @Montreal_Music said:
    I already have Tardigrain. Is it a waste of money if I buy e-l-s-a ? I'm curious to buy this app, but I feel that the 2 apps are similars and I maybe have a GAS problem!

No, no. They are worlds apart. Tardigrain is a very special granular synth. Elsa is a sampler. All Erik's apps do different things in a very special way. There is a bundle, the Humble Bundle, recommended. It takes its time (I must say I'm on it). I hope to get rewarded one day, @kinkujin

Tardigrain and Strng are my favs. Elsa is the one I have to learn. Shapesynth it's a secret box, there's no way of knowing what will come out of it every time you open it.

• @despego
    Did you write this just to intrigue me to complete the Humble Bundle??
    IT WORKED.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    @despego
    Did you write this just to intrigue me to complete the Humble Bundle??
    IT WORKED.

I completed the bundle a couple of days ago. Now I know I’m not alone 😎

• Shapesynth and Strng are my favorites so far. I like Tardigrain for the novelty but haven’t found a way to really include it in a song yet.

• Depends on your approach to a song. If you’re looking to create an abstract track with some ambient textures.

@DukeWonder said:
    Shapesynth and Strng are my favorites so far. I like Tardigrain for the novelty but haven’t found a way to really include it in a song yet.

• @despego said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    I already have Tardigrain. Is it a waste of money if I buy e-l-s-a ? I'm curious to buy this app, but I feel that the 2 apps are similars and I maybe have a GAS problem!

No, no. They are worlds apart. Tardigrain is a very special granular synth. Elsa is a sampler. All Erik's apps do different things in a very special way. There is a bundle, the Humble Bundle, recommended. It takes its time (I must say I'm on it). I hope to get rewarded one day, @kinkujin

Tardigrain and Strng are my favs. Elsa is the one I have to learn. Shapesynth it's a secret box, there's no way of knowing what will come out of it every time you open it.

I just bought e-l-s-a and I love it. But I dont know what the toggles diviser are.

• edited May 2020

@Montreal_Music

I just bought e-l-s-a and I love it. But I dont know what the toggles diviser are.

they divide the sample. they only divide when you’ve activated the arpeggiator.

it’s easiest to see when you slow the bpm down. try this as your starting point;

slow bpm down to 80.

adjust sample ‘stop’ ( to shorten sample length to something that approximates 1/8 or 1/4 note ).

turn ‘pitch length compensation’ to off ( makes it easier to follow what’s happening ).

set to ‘loop restart mode’

activate arpeggiator. set arpeggio to up ( again, easier to follow ). set arpeggio to 1, and arpeggio divider to 1.

set the ‘sample dividers’ to 1, 2, 4, 8.

set the envelope: anti-click to zero, attack to zero sec, decay to 1 sec, sustain to 0 %, release to 1 sec. the envelope is a little strange, so this is a good starting point. attack to zero and anti-click to zero helps to hear the attack clearly and identify what the divider is doing to the sound.

you should be able to hear and see what the divider does to your sample.

edit: start with one note only, until the divider function makes sense.

• @Montreal_Music

also, don’t hesitate with nils, or frekvens.

nils is a looper, sampler, and bit crusher. bit crush can be turned off for those that require clean sounding loops.

frekvens is a frequency shifter, as well as a delay. for those unfamiliar with what a frequency shifter can do, look up Bode frequency shifter for some applications.

erik’s apps are brilliant.

• they divide the sample. they only divide when you’ve activated the arpeggiator - @frond

I think they divide it also when the arp is off. There are two settings: lineal (right arrow) and random (crosses arrows). Lineal will alternate through the activated divisions, random... well, you know.

• @despego said:
    I think they divide it also when the arp is off.

yes. arp on or off, they divide the sample. my apologies.

• @senhorlampada said:
    I love'em all!

Same. I rarely understand what it is I'm doing but I rarely care. Lovely bits, these.

• @frond said:
    @Montreal_Music

they divide the sample. they only divide when you’ve activated the arpeggiator.

it’s easiest to see when you slow the bpm down. try this as your starting point;

slow bpm down to 80.

adjust sample ‘stop’ ( to shorten sample length to something that approximates 1/8 or 1/4 note ).

turn ‘pitch length compensation’ to off ( makes it easier to follow what’s happening ).

set to ‘loop restart mode’

activate arpeggiator. set arpeggio to up ( again, easier to follow ). set arpeggio to 1, and arpeggio divider to 1.

set the ‘sample dividers’ to 1, 2, 4, 8.

set the envelope: anti-click to zero, attack to zero sec, decay to 1 sec, sustain to 0 %, release to 1 sec. the envelope is a little strange, so this is a good starting point. attack to zero and anti-click to zero helps to hear the attack clearly and identify what the divider is doing to the sound.

you should be able to hear and see what the divider does to your sample.

edit: start with one note only, until the divider function makes sense.

Thank you! I really like the workflow of this app.

• +100 For Erik’s apps.

• @syrupcore said:
    I rarely understand what it is I'm doing

True! :lol:

• I thought this thread was about a new app from Erik Sigth called LOVE. Kind of disappointed now...

I like his apps, though I always feel I'm missing stuff. Maybe I should look for some tutorials.

• @cian said:
    I thought this thread was about a new app from Erik Sigth called LOVE. Kind of disappointed now...

I like his apps, though I always feel I'm missing stuff. Maybe I should look for some tutorials.

Hah. That’s pretty funny. I do keep waiting for a new app, perhaps a drum machine. Would love to see his take on one.

They are pretty deep and quirky. Can definitely take some time to get ahold of them.

• Does anyone know how to reset the apps to a default sound? I can only see presets, but not default.
    Workaround is to make my own, but just wondered.

• @jameslondon74 said:
    Does anyone know how to reset the apps to a default sound?

just confirmed with what’s on my system; e-l-s-a, nils, shape synth. no initialise, default, etc.

i’ve always created my own start points.

• @frond said:

@jameslondon74 said:
    Does anyone know how to reset the apps to a default sound?

just confirmed with what’s on my system; e-l-s-a, nils, shape synth. no initialise, default, etc.

i’ve always created my own start points.

Sure. I have no problem with that.
    Onto other matters - I can't get my head around the tape loop page. Little help?

• @jameslondon74 said:
    Sure. I have no problem with that.
    Onto other matters - I can't get my head around the tape loop page. Little help?

the ‘cassette’ recorder in shape synth, or the looper in nils?

• @jameslondon74 : if you mean the cassette in Shapesynth, I’m with you in that. I can use it to record, play backwards and forwards at various speeds, but I can’t work out how to use the loop pointer thing, that looks like a hangman scaffold. What I want to do, having recorded something, is select part of the resultant waveform and set it looping, but haven’t sussed how to do this yet. Anyone know how, or can point me at an explanation somewhere? Haven’t found a vid or anything yet. It seems this has the potential to be a Teenage Engineering Op 1 alternative, but only if I can work out how to use it.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @jameslondon74 : if you mean the cassette in Shapesynth - but I can’t work out how to use the loop pointer thing, that looks like a hangman scaffold. What I want to do, having recorded something, is select part of the resultant waveform and set it looping - It seems this has the potential to be a Teenage Engineering Op 1

tap the loop pointer, make sure it says ‘set loop pointer’, then tap below the zero crossing line. when you tap on the right side of the gray line it will say loop up, tap on the left side of the gray line it will say loop down. loop up or down in beats, synced to the bpm. you can also import your own recorded non-shape synth loops.

is that what you meant?