Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which drum app for live?

Hello guys

I am looking for a cool drum app, which I can use live. I own Noir and iSpark, but Noir is better for creating and not performing, because I have to run multiple versions of it and the sequencer is not that great for full songs then and iSpark is ... a little boring, haha. ;)

I would like something where I can import sounds from Noir whenever I create something I wanna use in a song but that also has its own drum sounds, is easy to control and has a powerful sequencer for live.

I saw this new app on the block called EG Pulse, which looks to tick all the boxes. Is it any good? Are there alternatives, which I should check out? A "song mode" would obviously be really helpful and we will run it in AUM.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

We have a lot of good choices right now. I would put EG Pluse, DigiStix, Drambo on the short list. I would have said GrooveRider GR-16 too, but it sounds like you want AUv3.

The main limitation with EG is the pattern length. You can chain patterns together, but many people really don't like the pattern length limitation. I like EG Pulse a lot.

DigiStix is really great. I have no complaints with it whatsoever.

Drambo might be my top pick. It's a little bit more work to set up, but the flexibility is out of this world. If you set aside all the modular synth stuff and just focus on the excellent samplers and sequencer, it's a perfect fit IMO.

I don't think you can go seriously wrong with any of the above. They can all sample from Noir as well.

Shout-out to the mighty Rozeta as a sequencer, coupled with any drum app as well!! Woulda put that in the short list, but you seem to be looking for a single app.

• Whats the pattern length limitation? If I can easily copy and chain patterns and the overall pattern no. is not limited, I would not have an issue.

Forgot about Rozeta, thanks for reminding me, friend. Already on my iPad.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Funnily enough I was just about to post a thread asking for drum app recommendations. My requirements are very different to yours, so I won’t hijack the thread. But I feel your pain.

I really want to like EG Pulse, but I just can’t get on with it at all. Trying to choose a kit is a Sisyphean task that relentlessly takes you into “banks” which you then have to back out of to try the next kit, the occasionally it stops showing any kits or playing any sounds (so I definitely wouldn’t recommend it for live), and the host sync is flaky and just forgets to join in.

If AUv3 isn’t a requirement for you, you might be best off going down the groovebox route. BeatHawk seems pretty decent, and Groove Rider is rock solid.

If we can solve your requirements, I’ll post my wish list and see if anyone has anything they can recommend.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

You don't have to select a bank to select a kit in EG Pulse. There's a KITS tab at the top. Tap it and every kit is shown in a list. It's three taps to load any kit.

Is it the standalone app that you're having problems with sync with? It would surprise me if the AU version had sync problems, so I'm curious.

• @christsinfamie said:
    Whats the pattern length limitation? If I can easily copy and chain patterns and the overall pattern no. is not limited, I would not have an issue.

Forgot about Rozeta, thanks for reminding me, friend. Already on my iPad.

Each pattern is one bar. There are 16 patterns per bank. Copy and paste works fine. Patterns can only be chained in order.

• @wim said:
    You don't have to select a bank to select a kit in EG Pulse. There's a KITS tab at the top. Tap it and every kit is shown in a list. It's three taps to load any kit.

Is it the standalone app that you're having problems with sync with? It would surprise me if the AU version had sync problems, so I'm curious.

Are you talking about the right hand side of the faux lcd panel? Because that’s what I’m tapping here in this video and it takes me into a bank every time. It also managed to show the bug where all the kits disappear and it stops playing any sound, all within 30 seconds of opening it.

https://streamable.com/milpy5

• You might need to wait a minute for Streamable to finish processing.

• @drcongo said:

@wim said:

Are you talking about the right hand side of the faux lcd panel? Because that’s what I’m tapping here in this video and it takes me into a bank every time. It also managed to show the bug where all the kits disappear and it stops playing any sound, all within 30 seconds of opening it.

https://streamable.com/milpy5

Yes, Tap once there, tap once on the kits tab, and select a kit. Just because it defaults to the Banks tab doesn't mean you have to select a bank. I don't find that workflow bothersome at all, but don't question it if it does bother you. I've never had the kits not show up. It'd be good to show that video to the developer.

• Should chuck in DM2 and Elastic Drums here too. If either of those were AUv3 I’d be happy.

• Would Samplr work?

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@christsinfamie said:
    Would Samplr work?

A pipe wrench will work as a hammer, but maybe not the best fitting tool for the job.

• I'm not nuts about Pulse for the one measure limit and rhythmic resolution reasons. There is no way to get triplets or other common rhythms because with only 64 total steps to play with you can't divide it into 3. I like the look of it and the dev is really responsive but for my musical needs it won't work.

• The best way to use EG Pulse is to use it as a file host with multi-out and sequence it using another app like Rozeta or Poly2.

• @christsinfamie said:
    Hello guys

I am looking for a cool drum app, which I can use live. I own Noir and iSpark, but Noir is better for creating and not performing, because I have to run multiple versions of it and the sequencer is not that great for full songs then and iSpark is ... a little boring, haha. ;)

Don’t be too quick to dismiss iSpark. It’s good for live performance. It’s similar in layout to the hardware DrumBrutes which are great live. There’s nothing to stop you making your own kits full of Noir samples either. It’s many things, but ‘boring’? I think you need to spend an hour with it and think you’ll find lots to like.

You can live edit the sequence, add or subtract hits, etc, the roller is great for live use, it has an X/Y pad, Fairly comprehensive and live tweakable fx, a mixer with mutes and soloS in addition to the muting options in the main screen, and a song mode. You can mangle each sound nicely, and there are macros for doing this live. You. An also finger drum over the patterns too.

It’s pretty perfect to turn your iPad into a drum machine.

The only drawback is it’s not auv3. But you don’t need auv3 for live use. The fewer things you have going on on a single iPad the better :lol:

It still works fine with AUM. In my experience although it doesn’t appear to be actively developed at the moment, it’s rock solid.

I’m not sure what’s missing for live use? I can’t think of a better iPad drum machine for live use to be honest.

It would be nice to have iSpark as an auv3, but it is more than useful enough for me in standalone mode — I love drum machines and use iSpark, DM-2 and ielectribe as if they were standalone machines. When I want auv3 drums, The Ruismakers are usually my go to plugins.

• Patterning
    elastic drums