Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Replaying recorded controller midi using virtual midi source (AB3 midi learning)

Hi,

Been using AB3 midi learning with an Arturia Beatstep mapped to the AB3 mixer (enabling/disabling synths and effects using midi cc), works like a charm!

I was also able to record the Beatstep's midi cc using Photon AU, however when replaying the recorded midi, it seems like AB3 ignores the recorded midi cc since its source is "virtual midi" instead of "Arturia Beatstep" (which was used during the midi mapping).

One way to fix this is to manually remap all AB3 midi mapping to have "virtual midi" as source, but, while that works, it is quite time-intensive and also makes it difficult later on to again use the Beatstep.

Is there a quick way to tell AB3 "use virtual midi instead of the Beatstep as midi mapping source"? If not, would it be possible to add a feature to AB3 that automatically substitutes a hardware controller source for "virtual midi" if the controller is not connected?

BM

Comments

• Photon has a Midi Thru mode.
    Maybe you could map Photon directly to Audiobus, and map the Beatstep directly to Photon and use the Midi Thru for live control, or send recorded data from Photon, and not have to change your midi mapping.

I haven’t tried it myself, just throwing out a suggestion.

• Thanks for the comment.

@CracklePot said:
    Photon has a Midi Thru mode.
    Maybe you could map Photon directly to Audiobus, and map the Beatstep directly to Photon and use the Midi Thru for live control, or send recorded data from Photon, and not have to change your midi mapping.

The problem is that Photon AU is just a record-replay midi fx with midi thru, so it cannot be mapped itself to another app (like AB3).

(FWIW, the midi thru works while recording, it's just the replay of the recorded midi afterwards, or of the exported midi in another sequencer, that does not due to the midi source having changed.)

• Can’t you just route both the Beatstep AND Photon to AB3? This is very simple with AUM which I’m more familiar with in terms of midi routings but as far as I can tell you should be able to just add both the Beatstep and Photon as midi inputs, even on the same channel, going out to Midi Learn. You say it can’t be mapped itself to another app but it definitely shows up as a possible midi input in AB3...

• @ManWhoWouldBeStrings said:
    Can’t you just route both the Beatstep AND Photon to AB3? This is very simple with AUM which I’m more familiar with in terms of midi routings but as far as I can tell you should be able to just add both the Beatstep and Photon as midi inputs, even on the same channel, going out to Midi Learn. You say it can’t be mapped itself to another app but it definitely shows up as a possible midi input in AB3...

Hmm, I'll try it out later this evening, thanks. I don't have AUM, but have Midiflow (Adapter) just in case.

• I think what you need to do to get photon into the mix in AB3 is to send the output to "Midi Learn". This will make it so that you can enter the mappings manually and (I think) they will be preserved. The routing would be Controller > Photon > Midi Learn.

Sorry, that's a totally insufficient explanation, but I'm hoping maybe enough to point you in the right direction. I can try to do some experiments later.

• Not sure if I was clear that when I said “just add both the Beatstep and Photon as midi inputs, even on the same channel, going out to Midi Learn” I meant in AB3, not AUM...just wanted to make sure that was clear :)

So I think there’s probably two routing options that would work (though I haven’t experimented myself with either...):

1:
    as @wim suggested:
    Controller > Photon (with midi thru enabled) > midi learn

Or

2:
    Controller > Photon
    AND
    Controller AND Photon (with midi thru disabled) > midi learn

• Thanks for the clarifications, making progress :-)

The following allows Photon's pad 1 to replay the recorded Beatstep midi:

• Beatstep > Photon (midi thru) > midi learn
    • [nothing] > Photon (pad 1) > synth

It still works even when disconnecting the Beatstep afterwards.

However, I can't get the exported midi from Photon to work from Xequence2, I tried both Audiobus and Audiobus3 as destinations (with CC10 mapped to filter cutoff in Sunrizer).

• Hi,

Got it working when mapping the beatstep to an AU instrument's parameters:

• use beatstep as midi in for a xequence2 track, with midi thru enabled and audiobus as midi out
    • use the track's midi out port as midi input in AB3
    • connect this midi input in AB3 to photon thru (midi fx) to a midi learn node
    • in another AB3 midi lane, connect photon pad 1 (midi fx) to the AU instrument (no midi in on this AB3 midi lane)
    • use AB3 midi learn with the beatstep
    • record using xequence2 or using photon
    • both the xequence2 midi recording and the photon midi recording (directly, or loaded into xequence2) work correctly

However, the above does not work when midi learning the AB3 mixer buttons instead of an AU instrument parameter. The photon recording on pad 1 works correctly, but as soon as this midi recording is imported in xequence2 (or when using the midi recorded directly within xequence2 from the beatstep), nothing happens.

So, how can one replay a midi recording of the AB3 mixer outside the midi learn source (photon in this setup)?

BM