Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studio War Stories

I just remembered this story from back in the day when digital recording was very new.

A famous band rock had just finished recording the album using a state of the art digital recording systems and the guitarist was talking to the tape op about the system and while the tape op was demoing it he accidentally deleted the bass track. On those early systems there was no undo, no restore, it was gone.
After a couple of minutes blind panic the guitarist grabbed a bass guitar and re-recording the bass track and they never let on.

When the band listened back to the mastered track the bass guitarist was reported to be pleased about his performance.

Mad stuff really.

Does anyone have any studio war stories?

Comments

• edited May 2020

Incredible :)
    This one didn't happen to me, but a friend working with a soundtrack for a TV show sent in his music, which the director hated. He made a change, resend it. Director hated it. He made another change, Director returned it. Made the final change, and it worked! I asked him if he liked the last version better than the first, he said he didn't know, he just resent the first version... I've heard stories like this before, never knew it could really happen. :D

• We used to fight over who had to go pick up the beer using the money out of the slowly-building ‘tamborine fund’ jar every so often. We never got that tamborine, but the amount of awesome late-night recordings we made was awesome.

• once I did some work at this studio, they told me not to bring anything that they had it all covered.... which they did, after work they wouldn't pay me and tried to force drugs and strippers on me for compensation, that was the last time I worked in somebody else's studio and became a huge positive lifestyle change.... a couple of days later someone blew out their windows with a shotgun, and hit one of them in the leg, by the end of the week they had closed down and gone.... karma's not a bitch, she's an astute and very determined girl scout .

• edited May 2020

LOL. Drugs and strippers. :D

• @Artj said:
    Incredible :)
    This one didn't happen to me, but a friend working with a soundtrack for a TV show sent in his music, which the director hated. He made a change, resend it. Director hated it. He made another change, Director returned it. Made the final change, and it worked! I asked him if he liked the last version better than the first, he said he didn't know, he just resent the first version... I've heard stories like this before, never knew it could really happen. :D

I’ve done this with animation fo shizzle 😈

• edited May 2020

@cyberheater said:
    I just remembered this story from back in the day when digital recording was very new.

A famous band rock had just finished recording the album using a state of the art digital recording systems and the guitarist was talking to the tape op about the system and while the tape op was demoing it he accidentally deleted the bass track. On those early systems there was no undo, no restore, it was gone.
    After a couple of minutes blind panic the guitarist grabbed a bass guitar and re-recording the bass track and they never let on.

When the band listened back to the mastered track the bass guitarist was reported to be pleased about his performance.

I did this when I was in college, sort of.

I had a class on Recording and Sound Production, and the professor had called in his buddies so we could record a live "band", consisting of our Professor on bass, the head of the Music department on guitar and a friend on drums. We had to mic up the band and record them, then take the recordings and generate mixes in groups of 3 or 4 students.

While I was mixing the project with my friends, we just could not get a good bass tone from the recording. We struggled with it for a while until we just gave up, I ran back to my room and grabbed my bass and re-recorded the bass part on an unused track. We then mixed the track with my bass part.

The mixes were listened to in class and then graded by the Prof, and I had something going on that day so I missed that class. A buddy of mine recapped the class and told me that when our mix was played, the Prof really liked it until they got about half way in when the Prof made a face and said "Hey, what did you guys do to the bass part..." and my friend had to tell him the story. He gave us a good grade but was clearly miffed that we replaced his part, but he couldn't give us a bad grade since we technically didn't do anything WRONG.

I probably still have a copy of that tune in the archives somewhere. Ha!

Yeah - I've had to replace parts TONS of times over the years for various reasons. Sometimes the original player realizes it, sometimes they don't....