Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer crackles and pop - please help me sort this out

@VirSyn please read and respond

I’m getting really tired of that AL repeatedly stops responding sound wise. I have pointed this out before in other threads. For you who don’t know what I do in AL it’s random round robin on my sampled analog synths. I edit patches of them from scratch inside AL as standalone or through GarageBand. The problem often subsides when I have several tracks of AL in GarageBand and I have easily reproduced this issue on several different iOS devices (iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone XR, iPad 2018). But it can also happen when I have just one track instance of AL running. I’ve thought it was a ram issue, but then @rs2000 has pointed out he’s using a large piano library of 2 GB (correct me if I remember incorrectly). He does not use rr though. I’ve tried and changed my instruments to play just regular rr. The problem persists. I therefore bet it’s an issue with round robin as well as the random function of AL and stability issues within the app itself.

To give an example of an instrument that I use for this here’s a copy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oaxi2qfeimmsi42/Behringer Model D.zip?dl=0

It’s not a big instrument. Not even 200 mb. There’s some (bad) looping going on, but other instruments I’ve used don’t even have looping and the same problems are there anyway: crackles and pops and sound just going away so I have to restart the project and sometimes even GarageBand.

You’d have to replicate this problem by using several tracks to be sure of what’s going on.

Hope you can help!

Comments

• @joachim_s said:

I’m getting really tired of that AL repeatedly stops responding sound wise. I have pointed this out before in other threads. For you who don’t know what I do in AL it’s random round robin on my sampled analog synths. I edit patches of them from scratch inside AL as standalone or through GarageBand. The problem often subsides when I have several tracks of AL in GarageBand and I have easily reproduced this issue on several different iOS devices (iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone XR, iPad 2018). But it can also happen when I have just one track instance of AL running. I’ve thought it was a ram issue, but then @rs2000 has pointed out he’s using a large piano library of 2 GB (correct me if I remember incorrectly). He does not use rr though. I’ve tried and changed my instruments to play just regular rr. The problem persists. I therefore bet it’s an issue with round robin as well as the random function of AL and stability issues within the app itself.

It’s not a big instrument. Not even 200 mb. There’s some (bad) looping going on, but other instruments I’ve used don’t even have looping and the same problems are there anyway: crackles and pops and sound just going away so I have to restart the project and sometimes even GarageBand.

You’d have to replicate this problem by using several tracks to be sure of what’s going on.

Hope you can help!

It will be much easier for the dev to understand if you also post a video demonstrating the issue. You should also probably email him in addition to posting here. I believe he is only an occasional visitor here.

• edited May 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

Hope you can help!

It will be much easier for the dev to understand if you also post a video demonstrating the issue. You should also probably email him in addition to posting here. I believe he is only an occasional visitor here.

Ok sure I’ll post a video. Thanks!
    But concerning emailing: I’ve had to wait weeks for response before so I don’t really trust that would work. Also: others would be benefited from learning about this issue and possible solutions.

• edited May 2020

@joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

Hope you can help!

But concerning emailing: I’ve had to wait weeks for response before so I don’t really trust that would work. Also: others would be benefited from learning about this issue and possible solutions.

Send him a message with a detailed description anyway.
    No response doesn't mean he didn't read it. I've had the same experience but one day he just added the feature. Especially if it's a bug he'll sooner or later take care of it.
    AL is one of his babies who does get considerable love so chances are good. 😎

• Thanks for the post, yeah one problem with IOS app support is that being singular developers for almost all apps, response times can vary dramatically. Sometimes it's very quick, sometimes you don't get a reply at all so you don't know if it's been noted. But it usually has.
    Have you tried another host like AUM?

• “Behringer” ???
    Well there’s your problem right there 😂

• @espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

Hope you can help!

Can I upload a video directly into this forum? If so: how?

• @joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

Hope you can help!

Can I upload a video directly into this forum? If so: how?

One way to do it is to create an account on Vimeo (more reliable playback) or Youtube (more popular, more views) and post it there.
    I've seen many other platforms that let you post and link videos but they're often deleted automatically after a while.

• Once I saw *.exs I lost interest but Audiolayer can load raw samples so I tried that. I suspect the round robin issues require the metadata in the *exs file.

So, I took another path and just imported the samples as a collection of files... so I have an instrument after fixing a few holes. But "round robin"? Not sure I have that.

So, I loaded up this instrument in AUM and started 5 copies and sent them all MIDI chords.

No crackling for me. You're going to have to do the hard work of demonstrating the problem, I suspect.
    People need to be able to repeat the "bug".

Crackling of AUv3 apps in DAW's is frustrating but usually a result of what the DAW is being asked to do.

I have 10 minutes invested in your problem so it's your turn.

How quickly can you get back to us?

• @joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

Hope you can help!

As rs2000 said, @VirSyn reads all his emails and even though he doesn't frequently write back, he has addressed bugs reported to him that he can reproduce.

Since it doesn't seem many are running into the same issue, you will probably need to come up with a reliable recipe for making it happen.

I understand that it is frustrating to have a problem with software, but you also need to realize that the problem doesn't seem common. If you can post a video that he can watch that both demonstrates the problem AND how to make it happen (which might also involve providing files required to make it happen) there is a good chance he'll address it.

• edited May 2020

So here’s a video of a simple loading in of a random rr instrument in AL through GarageBand. I edit it while I try out the sound and it just stops responding. This has happened to me a million times. As you see I haven’t even edited it before so nothing’s going on except clean playback of the samples. Until I start to edit it.

I will send it to the email of @VirSyn as well as you recommend.

@McD Sorry about the exs files etc. I didn’t think it through. Here’s an export directly from AL so you should just be able to open it directly, edited and all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yscus0hkw38gtn7/Model D - OSC 1 - Saw Bass.audiolayer.zip?dl=0

• Interesting... as a workaround have you tried doing the editing in a standalone instance outside of GarbageBand?

• @McD said:
    Interesting... as a workaround have you tried doing the editing in a standalone instance outside of GarbageBand?

Yes. I have experienced the same results, occasionally, in AL directly.

• @joachim_s said:

@McD said:
    Interesting... as a workaround have you tried doing the editing in a standalone instance outside of GarbageBand?

Have you been able to finalize the edits and have instruments you can use in your work?
    Are these issues preventing you from working or are you just annoyed and want a more stable app?

• edited May 2020

@McD said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

Have you been able to finalize the edits and have instruments you can use in your work?

It has worked for long times and shorter times. It’s very unpredictable. But it’s obvious to me from experience that as soon as I open another instance of AL in GB things go down quickly. I also have simpler instruments I’ve made that are ready patches without any editing in AL afterwards. They work way better together as many instances. I just think two instruments of about 3-400 mb together should be possible to play with random round robin on a 3 GB RAM platform.

Are these issues preventing you from working or are you just annoyed and want a more stable app?

They are surely preventing me from working. But that of course annoys me and yes I want a stable app 🙂 Since there really isn’t an option to working with rr technique with samples elsewhere on the iOS platform I need this to work.

• @joachim_s said:

@McD said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

It has worked for long times and shorter times. It’s very unpredictable. But it’s obvious to me from experience that as soon as I open another instance of AL in GB things go down quickly. I also have simpler instruments I’ve made that are ready patches without any editing in AL afterwards. They work way better together as many instances. I just think two instruments of about 3-400 mb together should be possible to play with random round robin on a 3 GB RAM platform.

They are surely preventing me from working. But that of course annoys me and yes I want a stable app 🙂 Since there really isn’t an option to working with rr technique with samples elsewhere on the iOS platform I need this to work.

Do you have AUM or Audiobus? If so, does this same problem occur there?

• edited May 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

I had Audiobus. Just saw in the AppStore that there’s a newer version and I don’t get to use the old one anymore. Was it 32 bit? Irritating to have to go buy it again.

Surely it’s a good idea to try through Audiobus though. But not too fun to buy it just to try if it might work.

• @joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

I had Audiobus. Just saw in the AppStore that there’s a newer version and I don’t get to use the old one anymore. Was it 32 bit? Irritating to have to go buy it again.

Surely it’s a good idea to try through Audiobus though. But not too fun to buy it just to try if it might work.

In addition to the video, a recipe for reproducing the issue is also key to trying to track down the issue. It isn’t clear from the video what the required steps are for triggering it. In your video, the issue happened in the context of editing an instrument. Is that a required trigger?

I just ran four copies of AL each with your instrument loaded as an AUv3 triggered by Atom sequencer and there were no problems on my iPad gen 6.

But maybe there are other steps required to trigger the issue?

• edited May 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

In addition to the video, a recipe for reproducing the issue is also key to trying to track down the issue. It isn’t clear from the video what the required steps are for triggering it. In your video, the issue happened in the context of editing an instrument. Is that a required trigger?

I just ran four copies of AL each with your instrument loaded as an AUv3 triggered by Atom sequencer and there were no problems on my iPad gen 6.

Well I don’t have a clear conception of what’s happening really, except from what I’ve stated. I’m editing the sound while playing it in this video. I don’t see a clear a-b progression where b is where the app is failing to respond. All I know is that it seems more likely to happen with several instances running at once in GB. From what little I understand of these sort of issues it could be a) faults in programming with random and/or rr in AL or b) too little memory. I believe it’s the former. But it could be something to do with GB. But then I’ve experienced it in AL stand-alone as well.

• @joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

Well I don’t have a clear conception of what’s happening really, except from what I’ve stated. I’m editing the sound while playing it in this video. I don’t see a clear a-b progression where b is where the app is failing to respond. All I know is that it seems more likely to happen with several instances running at once in GB. From what little I understand of these sort of issues it could be a) faults in programming with random and/or rr in AL or b) too little memory. I believe it’s the former. But it could be something to do with GB. But then I’ve experienced it in AL stand-alone as well.

I’ve spent an hour trying to reproduce your problem on my iPad 6th Gen. in 20 minutes, I encountered no problems in AUM with four instances includng running non-stop for 5 minutes. I also edited two of them while it was running.

In GarageBand, I had a problem after adding a third instance where playback stopped being audible but after doing a memory reset and reloading the project I was able to add two more instances for a total of five and 5 minutes later the test sequence is still running fine. It also has two drummers and a BLEASS Alpha Track.

As for the time when it stopped working in GarageBand, I hadn’t rebooted or reset the iOad in quite a while. So, memory might have been limited.

If you could find a specific set of steps starting from a memory reset or fresh reboot that would probably help the dev analyze the problem. The issue I ran into with GB is the sort of thing I might have run into with any complex AU running a bunch of instances without having started fresh.

And you are using the latest AudioLayer version, right?

p.s. I just added a sixth AL instance to that GB track that had the full salamander piano (over 1G of samples) and it is running fine.

• @espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

As for the time when it stopped working in GarageBand, I hadn’t rebooted or reset the iOad in quite a while. So, memory might have been limited.

That’s of course a possibility. I used to quit GB and reset the ram a lot before on my iPhone 7 Plus when working with these sort of instruments as described above. I do play and record with these sort of instruments and things might not go wrong for a long time. But it also does, regularly. Are we supposed to quit the app and reset ram often to be able to work with AL?

If you could find a specific set of steps starting from a memory reset or fresh reboot that would probably help the dev analyze the problem. The issue I ran into with GB is the sort of thing I might have run into with any complex AU running a bunch of instances without having started fresh.

Sure. I can try and a) create the same sort of project both from closing all other apps and reset ram before and on the other hand b) start from hours hours of use before and apps rolling in the background. Since I have experienced the issue either way I’m not sure it would make it any clearer though.

Yes.

p.s. I just added a sixth AL instance to that GB track that had the full salamander piano (over 1G of samples) and it is running fine.

But that’s not a rr/random instrument?

• @joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

@joachim_s said:

@McD said:

That’s of course a possibility. I used to quit GB and reset the ram a lot before on my iPhone 7 Plus when working with these sort of instruments as described above. I do play and record with these sort of instruments and things might not go wrong for a long time. But it also does, regularly. Are we supposed to quit the app and reset ram often to be able to work with AL?

Sure. I can try and a) create the same sort of project both from closing all other apps and reset ram before and on the other hand b) start from hours hours of use before and apps rolling in the background. Since I have experienced the issue either way I’m not sure it would make it any clearer though.

Yes.

But that’s not a rr/random instrument?

No, it isn’t but there were 5 instances of your instrument along with it. Adding the instance with salamander was intended to add additional stress.

• @joachim_s : do you have this problem even if you do a memory reset before each GarageBand session? It is a good habit to do that before any session.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @joachim_s : do you have this problem even if you do a memory reset before each GarageBand session? It is a good habit to do that before any session.

Sorry for late reply.
    I’ve done RAM reset a lot and it might help for a while, but it doesn’t really end the issue.