Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

EG Pulse - ElliottGarage new AU3 Drum Machine - available right now on App Store

Comments

• Subscribe to get our latest news!
    www.elliottgarage.com

• edited May 2020

Interesting! Pulse definitely sends MIDI out. I put a monitor on it and it’s Receiving noteons/offs from pulse on channel 1. The notes are in the 42-52 or something range. If i connect pulse out to a synth however, the synth doesn’t play. But if i record the pulse output in xeq2, notes definitely record. I can play the recording back to the synth and the synth responds. What the heck? I don’t think i’ve ever seen this before. Is there some kind of trick? So the monitor and xeq2 both see the output from pulse, but if the synth is seeing it, it doesn’t play the notes. I’m looking for an answer. :)

Edit:
    I stuck a mozaic script in between to send a token midi on/off when it receives from Pulse, and sent that to the synth and the synth plays. Too weird for words...

• @motmeister Pulse pads are by default set on "one shot", so you need to check if the synth receiving notes has some "keyboard hold" setting. Otherwise you can change each pad play mode from one shot to 'hold'.
    You need to enable the 'sync host' button too.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @motmeister Pulse pads are by default set on "one shot", so you need to check if the synth receiving notes has some "keyboard hold" setting. Otherwise you can change each pad play mode from one shot to 'hold'.
    You need to enable the 'sync host' button too.

Does one shot mean the midi off is sent at the same time as the midi on? If midi monitor and mozaic can both seen them, why doesn’t the synth?

• @motmeister yes, a midi noteOff is sent always after a noteOn. If you use the 'hold' pad mode the noteOff is sent when you release the touch

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @motmeister yes, a midi noteOff is sent always after a noteOn. If you use the 'hold' pad mode the noteOff is sent when you release the touch

I asked if the note on and note off were simultaneous. I’m less interested in hold pad in your app than what you’re doing that keeps a synth from seeing both note on and note off when xequence2 and midi monitor can see them. If that’s proprietary, i understand. I also see from the monitor that you’re using the “zero velocity” method to distinguish a note off from a note on, instead of a true note off. Perhaps it has something to do with that. Sorry if i’m being persistent, but i’m interested. I’ll stop asking questions now... :)

• Ok, never mind. Running some tests with mozaic, i see that pulse sends a note on followed immediately by a (true) note off. By capturing and delaying the midi note off by a minimum of 24ms, i can get the synth to respond. This might be useful to others trying to achieve the same thing without using hold on the pad as you describe.

• Hi @ElliottGarage , I think there is a problem with the midi out . I tried various methods to monitor midi :
    Audiobus and MIDISpy AU
    AUM and MidiFlow virtual port
    ApeMatrix with build in midi monitor

In all cases , after one NoteOn message, there are 3 (!) NoteOff messages .
    Maybe that’s why @motmeister (which synth by the way?) ,has problems triggering the synth.
    Thank you for your patience and being active in the forum :)

• edited May 2020

if i use Pulse in 16 levels of pitch of say PAD2, all other pad presses will play different pitches of that sound.
    have i got that right ?

now if i use it in AU3 inside Auria Pro and plug in a midi keyboard to trigger that track, will i essentially have a chromatic instrument composed of the PAD2 sound or will different midi notes trigger other pad sounds regardless of if the chromatic feature is used ?

i'm asking because i'd like to essentially use Pulse to make quick chromatic instrument patches meant to be played from a keyboard and not step programmed (nor played on the internal pads)

Thank you.

• is there a way to control parameters (say pitch or decay) via velocity?

• @stemshade said:
    is there a way to control parameters (say pitch or decay) via velocity?

Not that I can see.

• @ElliottGarage hi, great updates keep coming, and this is super cool really. May I ask if real time timestretch still into your pipe at some point ?
    Thanks a lot :)

• @ElliottGarage I found a couple of small bugs in pulse you may want to hear about.

1. If I import a sample to a kit then trim it in the editor, if I then import the full sample to another pad, it becomes the trimmed version next time it loads

2. If I use the sync button in the time/pitch bit, it only triggers a midi note once every 4 loops. This doesn’t happen if I manually dial in the time

Workarounds for both but thought I’d let you know :)

• Really wishing for midi import/export...

• @ElliottGarage it would be awesome if the Start, Length, Attack, and Release of each pad were exposed as midi parameters in AU, so they could be midi controller/modulated.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

@gregsmith said:
    @ElliottGarage I found a couple of small bugs in pulse you may want to hear about.

1. If I import a sample to a kit then trim it in the editor, if I then import the full sample to another pad, it becomes the trimmed version next time it loads

When you import the full sample to another pad, are you importing using the Cloud icon at the top-right? Or are you importing from the list of kits on the left? If you're importing from a kit, by design you're going to get the trimmed sample that was saved with the kit. If you re-import from the files app dialog or by dragging in from the files app, that should not happen.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

@gregsmith said:
    2. If I use the sync button in the time/pitch bit, it only triggers a midi note once every 4 loops. This doesn’t happen if I manually dial in the time

I'm not seeing that here. How long is your loop? Is it maybe three bars or longer? Does changing Shot or Retrig change anything?

• @wim said:

@gregsmith said:
    @ElliottGarage I found a couple of small bugs in pulse you may want to hear about.

When you import the full sample to another pad, are you importing using the Cloud icon at the top-right? Or are you importing from the list of kits on the left? If you're importing from a kit, by design you're going to get the trimmed sample that was saved with the kit. If you re-import from the files app dialog or by dragging in from the files app, that should not happen.

I’m reimporting from the files app

• @auxmux said:
    @ElliottGarage it would be awesome if the Start, Length, Attack, and Release of each pad were exposed as midi parameters in AU, so they could be midi controller/modulated.

+40000

• @gregsmith said:

@wim said:

@gregsmith said:

I’m reimporting from the files app

That's very strange. I'm not seeing that same behavior.
    I'm tapping the cloud icon at the top right and importing from there.

• @gregsmith yes I already written the trim issue in my TODO list and it will be fixed in the next update (btw it will be massive)
    About sync in the time/pitch it has been designed to work with 4 bar loops, that's why it triggers only every 4 bars

• @auxmux and @Korakios Start, Length, Attack, and Release of each pad cannot be changed in realtime due to how the engine currently works. Anyway that's exactly what the new slicer app I'm gonna release very soon does and was designed to be :)

• edited June 2020

@ElliottGarage said:
    @gregsmith yes I already written the trim issue in my TODO list and it will be fixed in the next update (btw it will be massive)
    About sync in the time/pitch it has been designed to work with 4 bar loops, that's why it triggers only every 4 bars

Thanks, and that makes sense about the loops, albeit slightly frustrating in the case of my new kit incorporating a single bar of the amen break 😉
    Will try it on the whole break.

Can’t wait for the next update and slicer (or whatever it’s going to be called). Got a feeling slicer will be my second most used app after pulse.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @auxmux and @Korakios Start, Length, Attack, and Release of each pad cannot be changed in realtime due to how the engine currently works. Anyway that's exactly what the new slicer app I'm gonna release very soon does and was designed to be :)

Hopefully we'll see the sampling engine of the new app inside EGPulse (IAP maybe?).

• Ditto what @Korakios said. With multi-out, EG Pulse is 95% what I'd want Digitakt on iPad to be. Automation of start/end/envelope would make it perfect.

• So with sEGments in a couple weeks I am curious about Pulse and how it integrates with NS2. What are the advantages over Slate and does the AU UI of Pulse hold up performance wise when NS2 projects get a little heavy? Some apps seem to really choke in NS2 when it comes to drawing their UI.

• Wow, finally, sEGments has got live timestretch ???? For real ??? :D

• I've had this app for a little while, actually one of the first drum apps I got, and never really gave it an honest chance. Really trying to emulate the BM3 experience in Cubasis seeing that I really enjoy Cubasis flow and stability. (First 3 beat attempts in BM3 resulted in crashes and project loss) Finding this to be the best solution as I dig into it. It's actually pretty amazing. The only thing I'm having issues with is the drum roll feature. Wondering if receiving midi clock from cubasis would allow the roll to be accurate every time and if this is a feature that would be possible or easy to implement. Maybe it's already there and I can't find it. Host sync doesn't do it. Any insight @ElliottGarage? Also, what's the best way to adjust semi octaves for things like hats on the go as AUv3. Seeing that the midi will be loaded into Cubasis on notes, not sure the best way to do this.

• This app is good And hopefully segments takes it to another level. Just some struggles with it is more in the editing side. If you play in octave mode there is really no way of playing with the midi cause the grid is hard to work and there is no way to move the midi or correct your bad notes you made. Same with velocity. Wish there was a velocity adjuster in the grid mode for fast work instead of fighting the editor in the mixer. If you open it up in a daw and use the daw midi editor then you have all the controls of that grid.

Finally learning how to save my samples in the library. Hopefully segments has improved in this area :)

• @ElliottGarage something that I think would really be a game changer for me with this app would be an enhanced roll function similar to the BLEASS groovebox or BM3. Having a way to easily change the roll speed would be great. Right now it’s not feasible to change roll speed as I’m using the pad.