Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Workflow tip: recording automation in GarageBand with Enso (secret weapon!!)

Here is how I use Enso and record cool automation stuff in GarageBand 😎 :

[EDIT]A very short video just to show how it works and how fast it can be:[/EDIT]

Set Enso like this (create some presets with various bars numbers), set the numbers of bars you need (for long recordings, set long memory ON, I was able to record 64 bars since iOS13 update). Tap on left red circled record button. If only play button is visible, tap erase cross button, then play and stop GB, tap rewind (all shown by yellow arrows) and Enso left record button should be displayed.

Then open your effect window, tap GB play button and have fun with knobs creating some cool sound movement. After the numbers of bars you have defined is reached, Enso record will stop.

Then tap Enso buffer save button, set a new name and select/copy this name. Select GarageBand File Transfer folder and tap save.

Explore GarageBand loops and paste Enso loop name in search box, this will helps you find it quickly.

Then drag that loop to GarageBand arrangement or loops session view and you’re done.

I’ve successfully used this with multiple Enso instances so that can be used for making stems too (allow also to avoid GB built-in limiter on individual tracks export).

Note: that it will not work properly with some built-in GB instruments like bass or guitar, so use GB merge feature on those tracks before using Enso on their audio rendered tracks. This is because those instruments don’t use main sample rate, same issue with 4pockets Multitrack effect.

Comments

• This is very cool indeed. I’m going to try using this trick to record Egoist in GarageBand.

• Utter boffinery, well done.

• edited May 2020

You know, I was going to ask you to show how you did it. I bought the app (in blind faith) after seeing your post on the other thread on it. So I got it, tried it out . And, it actually works. Thanks so much for the tip.

I used to use 4Pockets Multitrack Recorder but I’ll most likely switch to this because of the user friendly interface. Still need to do some tests and comparison, but so far, so good.

Now, here’s a bit of an odd question. Can you record more than one track at the same time? Say if I put this effect in multiple tracks...will it work? I’m still new to this app so I’m not sure about what I can and cannot do.

P.S: Leave a review about the app. There’s been a ton of comments stating it doesn’t work in Garageband, and it may hurt the reputation of this app.

Edit: Oh my God...the answer is YES. It is a pain to keep navigating between one track instance and another but it actually worked. I was able to get 3 tracks to record. Problem was Garageband stopped playing audio but since I have the iPad with the button, I just held it for Siri to work, and that fixed it.

Seems I can’t play back more than one track. But hey, I can at least save it.

But on the downside, it won’t replace 4 Pockets. Despite 4Pockets glitchy interface, I can organize 8 tracks in one timeline and adjust as needed.

• @Janosax Updated my previous post.

• edited May 2020

@Samflash3 said:
    @Janosax Updated my previous post.

Yes that works well, even if it’s a bit acrobatic :p

Also, when I don’t care about naming the buffer, I just copy the full default name minus loop number and paste it in GB loop search box, that’s even faster when saving multiple loops with default names in a production session:

• A very short video just to show how it works and how fast it can be:

• @Janosax said:
    A very short video just to show how it works and how fast it can be:

Thanks for the video. Really helpful.

• @Samflash3 you’re welcome ;)

• Cool @Janosax thanks for sharing

• Nice tip! This would also work nicely in NS2, and Enso and the 4pockets Multitrack could be combined, Enso to record, Multitrack to play back and export.

• Glad this helps :smile:

• @Janosax - Great tip!

• @richardyot said:
    Nice tip! This would also work nicely in NS2, and Enso and the 4pockets Multitrack could be combined, Enso to record, Multitrack to play back and export.

How would you theoretically combine them both? I'm trying to make a workflow using Enso but it just seems efficient to just record it directly into Multitrack.

Which is a shame because I really like the UI of Enso. Any advice?

• edited May 2020

@Samflash3 said:

@richardyot said:
    Nice tip! This would also work nicely in NS2, and Enso and the 4pockets Multitrack could be combined, Enso to record, Multitrack to play back and export.

How would you theoretically combine them both? I'm trying to make a workflow using Enso but it just seems efficient to just record it directly into Multitrack.

Which is a shame because I really like the UI of Enso. Any advice?

Enso is more like a one shot at a time recording tool while using it in a daw. Think about it like Tibetan mandala, the way monks erase it after they create it. Seriously, when I need in a track to record a few automations, here and there, I load Enso and record my thing, export/import audio, just delete Enso and eventually load it on another track if I need it. Why using something like 4pockets Multitrack in a DAW? GB already has audio, but it’s more useful on NS2 IMO. Also it all depends of your style, for progressive trance it’s not useful, but for hip-hop it’s perfect. Enso strength is fast export/import via Files app and GB File Transfer Folder IMO, making that one shot at a time workflow fast enough to be workable. But of course it’s just a workaround so it’s not perfect.

• I've been using the quantum loop function on AUM for this, but I like this as an additional option.