Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wireless headphones with “zero” latency?

Is there a way to connect the dots between Bluetooth in (playing wireless keys to an iPad) and Bluetooth out (to wireless headphones)? Just wanted to get an update on what’s really possible going all wireless when both playing and listening at the same time.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

Unfortunately, no, sorry to say.

Bluetooth Audio = latency. Nothing can be done about that. Bluetooth midi is much lower bandwidth, so the latency isn't generally a problem.

• @wim said:

Bluetooth Audio = latency. Nothing can be done about that. Bluetooth midi is much lower bandwidth, so the latency isn't generally a problem.

Yeah. Well I read about rf headphones, but not sure if it’s possible to transmit radio signals to an iOS device with nothing in between?

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@joachim_s said:

@wim said:

Yeah. Well I read about rf headphones, but not sure if it’s possible to transmit radio signals to an iOS device with nothing in between?

You will always need a transmitter or receiver for rf. I thought you were trying for audio out from the iOS device, not into it, so I think you mean a transmitter.

Anyway, no-go without a transmitter for rf headphones. The cheapest system I've seen is from Behringer at about $230 US. I don't have any idea if it's any good. Most are much more expensive.

• I use Arctis 7 wireless gaming headphones with a dongle connected to iPad. Very low latency.

Before that I tried some ancient Sennheiser RF headphones, but too much interference (no noticeable latency). Then Sennheiser hdr160 with ‘Kleer digital wireless’. They were ok for a bit of app noodling, sequencing and knob tweaking, but too much latency for guitar or other live instrument playing (now my late night tv headphones). The Arctic 7’s are great for me, though beware fakes. I’ve had them for a couple of years, there may well be better and/or cheaper competition by now.

• There's no such thing as no latency with any wireless link. Physics won't allow it. The best you can hope for is that it is negligible for what you will use it for.