Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking at Motu M2/M4 or Audient Evo

Or maybe native instruments new Komplete audio.

I currently have native instruments Komplete audio 6 mk1 and the 2nd input has gone out.

Looking to replace and have a nice grab and go interface with low noise floor and latency for guitar amp sims.

The loop back feature seems that it would allow me to record guitar amp sims like bias fx directly to the video and record guitar videos on my iPhone.

Anyone have the motu or other devices and can recommend?

Comments

• edited May 2020

I have the Evo and love it. I’ve been using it a lot with the Cali Reverb amp and everything comes out really clean. The loop back feature has been really useful as well

• Cali reverb amp ?

• I just got the M2 and I LOVE everything about it. I could stare at those beautiful meters all day, lol. Not sure about the loopback thing, I think it requires a driver on the Mac so not sure that’s something that carries over to iOS.

• @Briandandrig if you haven’t yet, search @NembriniAudio on the App Store.

• @Matthew said:
    I just got the M2 and I LOVE everything about it. I could stare at those beautiful meters all day, lol. Not sure about the loopback thing, I think it requires a driver on the Mac so not sure that’s something that carries over to iOS.

Can you do a manual loopback by taking a cable from output to input?

• @mjcouche said:
    @Briandandrig if you haven’t yet, search @NembriniAudio on the App Store.

oh i think i actually have their slo sim

• @mjcouche said:

oh shit looks like the cali reverb is new?

• @Briandandrig said:

@mjcouche said:

oh shit looks like the cali reverb is new?

you like it better than anything from like bias fx or mooer ge labs?

• edited May 2020

I am waiting impatiently for the M4. Unfortunately, it's not available in Germany right now. You don't need a cable for loopback, it's routed internally by the driver (however, I don't know how to use this feature on a iOS device). I am convinced by the possibility to use the interface standalone, so to speak as a provisional 4 channel mixer. In addition, the monitoring is optionally in mono or stereo, which is also very useful.

• @klangsulfat said:
    I am waiting impatiently for the M4. Unfortunately, it's not available in Germany right now. You don't need a cable for loopback, it's routed internally by the driver (however, I don't know how to use this feature on a iOS device). I am convinced by the possibility to use the interface standalone, so to speak as a provisional 4 channel mixer. In addition, the monitoring is optionally in mono or stereo, which is also very useful.

if i had an interface without loopback could i make it loop back using a cable? I have a behringer umc204 hd and would like to make guitar videos without having to sync the audio after recording

• I have a MOTU M4 and it works a treat on my 6th gen iPad. I've just bought a Mac Mini and have installed the trial version of Logic Pro 10.5. but I haven't had enough time yet to offer any opinions other than to say the interface worked in class compliant mode and also with the low latency driver. I was confused initially when it listed as having 8 inputs but that turned out to be the four loopback options which showed up in the vendor driver mode. Sound quality is stellar and ultra-low latency is possible. I tested the MIDI in and out with my Roland FA-06, again with low latency and data in and out indicators clearly visible alongside the crisp bright meters. (Sorry to post like ad copy here, but so far, I'm really impressed.)

• @Deskscape said:
    I have a MOTU M4 and it works a treat on my 6th gen iPad. I've just bought a Mac Mini and have installed the trial version of Logic Pro 10.5. but I haven't had enough time yet to offer any opinions other than to say the interface worked in class compliant mode and also with the low latency driver. I was confused initially when it listed as having 8 inputs but that turned out to be the four loopback options which showed up in the vendor driver mode. Sound quality is stellar and ultra-low latency is possible. I tested the MIDI in and out with my Roland FA-06, again with low latency and data in and out indicators clearly visible alongside the crisp bright meters. (Sorry to post like ad copy here, but so far, I'm really impressed.)

definitely interested in the low latency for guitar tracking on desktop. also interested if loopback works on ios so i can make guitar videos with AUM output in the video

• @Briandandrig I have all of their amp sims and like them a lot. I haven’t had a chance to look into GE labs yet, though I got the “5 preset” IAP. I like the Cali a lot, but find myself using the SLO most in coordination with the screamer and fuzz from Nembrini.

Previously I used BIAS Amp with Celestion IAP as a starting point for clean sounds. I still like that sound a lot, just haven’t been able to dial anything in yet with limited time using Nembrini.

I use both my iPhone and iPad, but being that the iPhone has less memory, I’ve removed everything except Nembrini from it to be as lightweight as possible.

Good luck on the interface hunt - EVO looks cool but everywhere I look it only says preorder.

• @mjcouche said:
    @Briandandrig I have all of their amp sims and like them a lot. I haven’t had a chance to look into GE labs yet, though I got the “5 preset” IAP. I like the Cali a lot, but find myself using the SLO most in coordination with the screamer and fuzz from Nembrini.

Previously I used BIAS Amp with Celestion IAP as a starting point for clean sounds. I still like that sound a lot, just haven’t been able to dial anything in yet with limited time using Nembrini.

I use both my iPhone and iPad, but being that the iPhone has less memory, I’ve removed everything except Nembrini from it to be as lightweight as possible.

Good luck on the interface hunt - EVO looks cool but everywhere I look it only says preorder.

im pretty set on the motu m4 to be honest. Currently im looking for a way to do loopback with my behringer umc204hd taqking a balanced out to the line in on the front

• Sorry, I'm not much help with loopback.

I will say I was using the same interface, the UMC204HD, and the MOTU M2 sounds significantly better. When I compare a direct recording of my guitar done on both the Behringer sounds like you put a blanket over your head. Muffled with no high end. The MOTU also has MUCH more volume available on the main outputs. I could turn the Behringer up all the way and it was still slightly less volume than I'd like. The MOTU is louder than I need just a little past half way up. The headphone out on the MOTU also doesn't hiss at all, even all the way up, whereas the Behringer hissed louder and louder as you got about half way up. I'm VERY happy with the MOTU, it was more of an upgrade than I even anticipated. And like I said, the meters are incredibly useful as well as the on/off switch.

• @Matthew said:
    I'm VERY happy with the MOTU, it was more of an upgrade than I even anticipated. And like I said, the meters are incredibly useful as well as the on/off switch.

Same here. The M4 replaced a Focusrite Clarett 2pre, which is a very good interface. To my ears, the MOTU sounds noticeably more open and detailed through monitors and headphones and the latency is imperceptible when tracking guitar through Mac or iOS. Speaking of which, it needs a powered USB hub and this Apple adapter to work with a Lightning iPhone or iPad.

• @Schmotown said:

@Matthew said:
    I'm VERY happy with the MOTU, it was more of an upgrade than I even anticipated. And like I said, the meters are incredibly useful as well as the on/off switch.

Same here. The M4 replaced a Focusrite Clarett 2pre, which is a very good interface. To my ears, the MOTU sounds noticeably more open and detailed through monitors and headphones and the latency is imperceptible when tracking guitar through Mac or iOS. Speaking of which, it needs a powered USB hub and this Apple adapter to work with a Lightning iPhone or iPad.

i have that adapter and typically use it with a power bank sending power to the lightning port and then the behringer just in the usb port. does the motu actually need a powered hub or could it work this way?

can you charge the iphone from the powered hub?

• M2 here...just for iOS . Works great. I heard Windows users have problems with them.

• I wanted the M4 for a mobile setup with the a Zoom H6 recorder but unfortunately M4 is aways out of stock so I went with a MOTU 828es. I love it, I will probably get the M4 later on, I believe the specs should be on par if not the same as their full featured interfaces. I highly recommend the MOTU units.

• I want to buy a Motu M2 in Canada. Nobody wants my money. I can't find it anywhere since January. Why?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    I want to buy a Motu M2 in Canada. Nobody wants my money. I can't find it anywhere since January. Why?

It’s good, so sold like hot cakes and likely there is some C19 impact on production.

• Since they launched late last year, M2/M4 have rarely been in stock anywhere. Every dealer’s allotment seems to sell out before it arrives so the only way to be sure you’ll get one is to place an order. It’s an excellent interface (M4 here) and worth waiting for unless you need something urgently.

Can you buy from Sweetwater in the States? They seem to have a short lead time, like maybe a couple of weeks.

• I'm in Canada and ordered my M4 from Long & McQuade online. The current wait for the M2 there is listed as 21 business days. I'm delighted with my M4, works a treat with both iOS and Logic Audio in Catalina.

• Just a quick notice that the updated driver for Big Sur is now available for the M2/M4 at the MOTU website:

https://motu.com/download

• @Deskscape said:
    Just a quick notice that the updated driver for Big Sur is now available for the M2/M4 at the MOTU website:

https://motu.com/download

Nice! Thanks for the alert! I've been waiting for this announcement.