Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ChordPolyPad > iBassist

iBassist has just had an update which is looking good so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have some issues sending midi to iBassist.
I'd like to send midi chords from ChordPolyPad. I have iBassist 'live midi in' enabled coming from CPP. The midi chords reach iBassist and sometimes make the chord change but never immediately. I cant get the setup to work at all if I use Audiobus. Anyone had any experience of this?

Comments

• I think iBassist has a mode where the MIDI in is used to "tell" iBassist what chord it should program and it might be waiting until the next bar to implement the requested chord change. It might have an option in the MIDI setting to turn off chord detect and maybe that will be closer to what you're hoping for.

Please share your findings with us to document the details for everyone that follows.

• edited May 2020

In the iBassist settings (gear icon), there is a setting for ‘Live Mode Change’. I think it defaults to ‘Prog’. Try changing it to ‘Direct’ for instant chord changes.

• Yes I'll keep you posted

• Just trying the same thing in AUM, with CPP playing ibassist, following above instructions without success, anyone getting this to work?

• FWIW, I just tried CPP and iBassist standalone, and it worked OK aside from some iBassist flakiness that caused me to reload it. (If all else fails, reload iBassist.)

CPP can send to its virtual port, which can be selected as MIDI IN in iBassist; or CPP can send directly to iBassist.

In iBassist main screen, I enabled LIVE MODE IN. In LIVE MODE CHANGE settings, DIRECT and PROG both worked well.

Start iBassist and then play some chords on CPP to hear the changes.

• Can't get ibassist to start / stop from aum transport if I load it straight in to aum.
    If I load it into audiobus input, then aum output it works from audiobus transport controls.
    Is it possible to just load the IAA ibassist straight into aum, so I can skip the audiobus step ??
    iPad pro 2018 11" iOS 13

• edited May 2020

@Nicebutfun said:
    Can't get ibassist to start / stop from aum transport if I load it straight in to aum.
    If I load it into audiobus input, then aum output it works from audiobus transport controls.
    Is it possible to just load the IAA ibassist straight into aum, so I can skip the audiobus step ??
    iPad pro 2018 11" iOS 13

Make sure to turn on Link in both apps, as well as the start/stop Link option in both apps.

Both apps = AUM + iBassist.

• @Tickletiger said:
    Just trying the same thing in AUM, with CPP playing ibassist, following above instructions without success, anyone getting this to work?

I use Navichord instead of CPP, but try this.

In CPP, make sure you are sending Midi notes to the port named iBassist. Send on Channel 1.
    In iBassist, do NOT select a Midi in port. iBassist will automatically receive on its own named port. I left all the other iBassist settings at default, I believe.
    So, on your chord app, select iBassist midi port, Channel 1.
    In iBassist, turn on Live Midi In, change the Live Mode Change to ‘Direct’, and play some Chords with iBassist running.
    You should hear the bassline adjust to the chord notes when you change chords in your chord app.

• I did get this to work after finding this video by Mathias Hellquist. I think loading the audio side first makes a difference.

• @Liamdec said:
    I did get this to work after finding this video by Mathias Hellquist. I think loading the audio side first makes a difference.

Thanks for this.