Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best App for 20Hz Cutoff

I try to use TB EQ butI can’t get the slope steep enough to preserve some of my low end and still cut off everything below 20. Any advice here?

Comments

• fabfilter can do brickwall cutoff

• edited May 2020

@DukeWonder Did you change to Low shelf 48?

• Use multiple overlapping bands.

• Probably not the most efficient but I was able to kill anything below 20hz by setting the high pass 60db and putting it at around 135hz with TB on a kick drum

• edited May 2020

can’t you move the Q to change slope on any of the shelf’s or filters. In the menu that pops up for each node? Or your saying that’s not enough?

• @palms said:
    fabfilter can do brickwall cutoff

Which one?

@rs2000 said:
    Use multiple overlapping bands.

@Fingolfinzzz said:
    Probably not the most efficient but I was able to kill anything below 20hz by setting the high pass 60db and putting it at around 135hz with TB on a kick drum

@Poppadocrock said:
    can’t you move the Q to change slope on any of the shelf’s or filters. In the menu that pops up for each node? Or your saying that’s not enough?

None of these give me a straight wall. I need to keep as much as I can before 20 and kill everything after it completely.

• @DukeWonder said:
    None of these give me a straight wall. I need to keep as much as I can before 20 and kill everything after it completely.

It works, unfortunately I cannot upload screenshots anymore (png and jpg blocked).

• @DukeWonder said:

@palms said:
    fabfilter can do brickwall cutoff

Which one?

their eq.
    proq3

• edited May 2020

For this, I’d use a Notch Filter on FabFilter Pro-Q 3. Select the notch type, then select 96dB slope. You can play with the Frequency and the Q to dial in the frequency range you want to obliterate. Wonderful tool...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ReflectiveHaze said:
    I don’t have the TB app, but here is a screen shot from Fabfilter ProQ 2 IAP, 20HZ, Q of 1, Low Cut, 96db/octave that I think is what you want to do?

Did you try running white noise through it and see if the analyzer shows the same cut?

I would try it myself, but I’m only on iPhone.

• edited May 2020

@rs2000 said:

@DukeWonder said:

It works, unfortunately I cannot upload screenshots anymore (png and jpg blocked).

OT but related:

@Michael I’ve noticed recently that doing a screenshot, saving it to Photos and then attempting to add it to a post gets a “file format not supported”. The same file will upload if I move it anywhere else such as a folder in Files. This is within the past few days. I have not done any kind of iOS update in that time. It was working as usual earlier this week.

• @anickt said:

@rs2000 said:

@DukeWonder said:

OT but related:

@Michael I’ve noticed recently that doing a screenshot, saving it to Photos and then attempting to add it to a post gets a “file format not supported”. The same file will upload if I move it anywhere else such as a folder in Files. This is within the past few days. I have not done any kind of iOS update in that time. It was working as usual earlier this week.

I’ve been noticing the same thing with DistroKid actually.

• @ReflectiveHaze said:
    I don’t have the TB app, but here is a screen shot from Fabfilter ProQ 2 IAP, 20HZ, Q of 1, Low Cut, 96db/octave that I think is what you want to do?

This looks like exactly what I need. That steep cut is much better than what I can get in TB.

• @DukeWonder said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

This looks like exactly what I need. That steep cut is much better than what I can get in TB.

Have you tried using the 60dB high pass filters instead of the low shelving filters?

• @rs2000 said:

@DukeWonder said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

Have you tried using the 60dB high pass filters instead of the low shelving filters?

Yeah, the slope is too shallow. It cuts off some critical frequencies between 50 and 20.

• @DukeWonder said:

@rs2000 said:

@DukeWonder said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

Yeah, the slope is too shallow. It cuts off some critical frequencies between 50 and 20.

Not if you combine them. The -3dB cutoff is at 18Hz.

• @DukeWonder said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

Keep in mind that the shape of a filter doesn’t tell the whole story. You need to listen. Extreme hard shelves like that can impact audio adjacent to the filtered frequencies.

• Also be mindful of phase shift so you can deal with it appropriately when you use filters. Doesn’t mean not to use them, just that for every action there’s a reaction.

• I tried the same notch filter trick in ToneBoosters but couldn’t find a way to change the slope.

• @espiegel123 said:

@DukeWonder said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

Keep in mind that the shape of a filter doesn’t tell the whole story. You need to listen. Extreme hard shelves like that can impact audio adjacent to the filtered frequencies.

Impact in what way?

@mrufino1 said:
    Also be mindful of phase shift so you can deal with it appropriately when you use filters. Doesn’t mean not to use them, just that for every action there’s a reaction.

Do you mind expanding on that? Not familiar with the phase shift concept.

• @DukeWonder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@DukeWonder said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

Impact in what way?

It is the nature of audio filters that can't take a signal and completely cleanly remove everything at a particular frequency without any impact on nearby frequencies. Despite the notion of discrete harmonics that is really an analogy. Any signal can be THOUGHT of as being comprised of a mixture of sine waves of different frequencies and amplitudes and phases. You can't actually surgically remove just remove some harmonics without impacting what is left behind. Whether the artifacts will be noticeable or not will depend on the signal. Generally, though, you don't need to completely remove things below your cut-off suppressing below noticeability is generally sufficient.

It has been a long time since I learned the details. If I remember correctly both phase issues and time-smearing can be issues when doing extreme filtering which is why most people will use a couple of less extreme filters often at nearby but not identical frequencies.

With a little digging you can find more details.

• Just in case, this is how the brickwall option looks like in Pro-Q 3:

• WTKWTK
    edited May 2020

I am not a dsp guy and I have no real idea about the maths behind it but I found the following article helpful on this topic.

http://iowahills.com/B1GroupDelay.html

@DukeWonder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@DukeWonder said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

Impact in what way?

@mrufino1 said:
    Also be mindful of phase shift so you can deal with it appropriately when you use filters. Doesn’t mean not to use them, just that for every action there’s a reaction.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    Just in case, this is how the brickwall option looks like in Pro-Q 3:

Yes, but how does it look with sound going through it?
    Does the analyzer show nothing under the cutoff point and everything else unaffected?

• @jolico said:

@NoiseFloored said:

Does the analyzer show nothing under the cutoff point and everything else unaffected?

What it looks like is far less important than what it sounds like. You would have to listen on equipment that accurately reproduces frequenciesi in that range to judge artifacts.

• @DukeWonder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@DukeWonder said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

Impact in what way?

@mrufino1 said:

Check these out, they are helpful:

While those are specifically talking about drum mics, there concepts are the same. Essentially you want your waveforms adding up, not fighting each other. When you use an eq, you are shifting some parts of the frequency spectrum (a linear phase eq will not, but then it has other side effects), so how the phase all works together affects your overall sound.

Perfect phase isn’t ever really possible, and sometimes you don’t want it perfect. A “phaser“ effect is a delay that is modulating a signal against a copy of itself, and the shifts in phase as the delay moves creates that watery sweeping sound. But you don’t necessarily want that in your kick drum if you’re aiming for it to be solid and supportive. If the low end of your mix gets thrown out of phase, same kind of thing. Ok vinyl, that would make the needle jump out of the groove.

I’m just started to be able to really identify and address phase issues by ear, and it has helped my live and studio work improve a lot. But I’ve been really struggling with it for a long time before it started to click. Once I got the little labs IBP plugin last year I realized how much of a difference phase makes (not just polarity). Still working on it, I just keep adjusting and comparing to make sure it’s what I want and that it sounds better. And then I listen the next day and say “what was I thinking?” 😂 But each time my ear is getting closer.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @anickt said:

@rs2000 said:

@DukeWonder said:

OT but related:

Oops. Fixed now, sorry about that.

• edited May 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@jolico said:

@NoiseFloored said:

What it looks like is far less important than what it sounds like. You would have to listen on equipment that accurately reproduces frequenciesi in that range to judge artifacts.

Absolutely. Anyway, here's the TB EQ cut thanks to @Michael 😊:

60dB high pass and one bell EQ. The -3dB is at 18Hz.