Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

your favorite arpeggiator app

what is it? I myself really love steppolyarp but curious what else is out there and what are your guys’ favorites?

Comments

• Drambo! Just the fact that you can advance the arp manually by 1 step per midi note on makes it incredibly powerful.. It’s basically the same as the old Sh-101 / Juno 6 trick where you could clock the arp with the rimshot of an 808.

With a simple routing scheme, the arp can also cycle 1 note per midi channel, making for incredible multi-instrument arpeggiation. You can check the Drambo thread for an oscillator cycling arp patch I posted earlier today.

Don’t let the size of the arp module fool you, it’s a beast in disguise.

• StepPolyArp Unit

• @aleyas said:
    Drambo! Just the fact that you can advance the arp manually by 1 step per midi note on makes it incredibly powerful.. It’s basically the same as the old Sh-101 / Juno 6 trick where you could clock the arp with the rimshot of an 808.

With a simple routing scheme, the arp can also cycle 1 note per midi channel, making for incredible multi-instrument arpeggiation. You can check the Drambo thread for an oscillator cycling arp patch I posted earlier today.

lol i new somebody was gonna say Drambo. 😉 wow i didn’t know that. with the 1 step advancement. do you have a preset for that you could share? sounds cool

• @god said:
    StepPolyArp Unit

yep
    that’s my go-to arp

• Can Drambo arp other Auv3 synth?

• I would be interested in resources to use the arp in a creative way. Videos, articles and stuff. I think arps are pretty powerful but I don’t „get“ them quite yet.

But to be on topic: yes steppolyarpunit is a really cool one
    Bleass alphas arp is also a fun one too.

• spa, fugue machine, aphelian, drambo, stepbud, drambo

essentially they can all get the same or very similar results but they each inspire and lead you their own direction.
    i use fugue machine the most, it’s very quick and does some unique stuff with the 4 play heads. i start with fugue 99% of the time, that and now drambo because you can record live midi into drambo and set up pattern chains without hassle

• WTKWTK
    edited May 2020

Aphelian & Arpeggionome Pro.

• Yes, easily. Just place a midi output module after the arp.

@ecou said:
    Can Drambo arp other Auv3 synth?

• Definitely, I have a few that I’ll upload later today (I should be sleeping now 😅)

The lovely thing about Drambo is you can pipe out control to external AUv3s just as easily as you can control its internal instruments.

@eross said:

@aleyas said:
    Drambo! Just the fact that you can advance the arp manually by 1 step per midi note on makes it incredibly powerful.. It’s basically the same as the old Sh-101 / Juno 6 trick where you could clock the arp with the rimshot of an 808.

lol i new somebody was gonna say Drambo. 😉 wow i didn’t know that. with the 1 step advancement. do you have a preset for that you could share? sounds cool

• SPA and Fugue. Different animals that can complement each other. SPA is right now my go to.

And of course Drambo because you know... it is everything you need at every moment. The sequencer is great and lets you record without quantization playing your keyboard.

• spa never heard of that but i’m gonna check it out now

• oh SPA..... step poly arp...lol. 😬i have defiantly heard of that. brain fart 😜

• @eross said:
    spa never heard of that but i’m gonna check it out now

Don’t know if it’s a joke but SPA is probably stepPolyArp ;)

• @david_2017 said:

@eross said:

^ this 😉

• @Vlad11 said:

@david_2017 said:

@eross said:

^ this 😉

👊🏼😁

• Garageband.
    It has an arpegiator
    I don't know how to use an arpegioator.
    Help!!!

(Pls liek muh poetri...)

• Does Riffer count?
    PolyHymnia inside Xequence or X2

• @aleyas said:
    Yes, easily. Just place a midi output module after the arp.

@ecou said:
    Can Drambo arp other Auv3 synth?

Maybe I do need Drambo after all 😤😤

• StepPolyArp Unit is really the top of the heap for arpeggiators.
    The whole paradigm of the Events Grid where you can:

• Set event lengths
    • Set note played directions
      (those are both common arpeggiator functions)

• Set specific notes played to specific event time locations

• Set transpositions for different events
    • Set different lengths for those transpose lanes so they create complex polymeters
    • Set ratchets with different accelerations and velocity curves
      (more advanced features not seen in most arpeggiators)

And then control many parameters with MIDI to really get crazy.

Here's an example of running multiple copies of SPAU with one having its Speed adjusted by an LFO (the one in the top right):

re: Fugue Machine: Just to be that guy; in the world of electronic music, an arpeggiator is generally known to be a device that takes sustained chords and changes them into a run of individual notes. So Fugue Machine wouldn't really be considered an arpeggiator as it doesn't take any inputs. You draw your notes out and it plays them with multiple playheads, so it's really a variant of a piano-roll sequencer.

One interesting app to consider is Poly2. When you set a color's Keyboard mode to MIDI you get an arpeggiator with the timing based on the placement of nodes.

I'm also fond of the arpeggiators in the iceGear synth. Unfortunately, they only affect the synths themselves and can't send MIDI out.

• edited May 2020

@aplourde said:

re: Fugue Machine: Just to be that guy; in the world of electronic music, an arpeggiator is generally known to be a device that takes sustained chords and changes them into a run of individual notes. So Fugue Machine wouldn't really be considered an arpeggiator as it doesn't take any inputs. You draw your notes out and it plays them with multiple playheads, so it's really a variant of a piano-roll sequencer.

Fugue Machine makes a great input for an arpeggiator though. With careful adjustment you can get FM—>arp to spin out lovely long melody lines.

• ahh yes poly 2 , great recommendation @aplourde

• Its probably just me but I really like the arp in micrologue in Cubasis. I always get a nice groove/melody when playing with that.

• edited May 2020

SPA can be deep. I would like to do all the wizardry that folks here can do with it but I'm afraid I'm not that good.

But I see potential and that's what I like when I open steppolyarp unit.

• I've never found SPA that easy to use to be honest. Maybe I'm missing something. I prefer just a very simple arp that you might find on a synth.

Anyone have a link to a dumbed down get started guide to SPA for the simpletons like me?

• @aleyas said:

So how do you advance the arp by one step in Drambo?!

• edited May 2020

There's a gate input symbol on the bottom of the arp module. Place the arp on track 2. In track 1, connect the gate output of a midi to cv module to the gate input on the arp on track 2. *Now, any trigger placed in the track 1 sequencer will advance the arp by 1 step. This is just one way to do it, but it's the most straightforward.

edit: *any midi note on event occurring on track 1 will trigger the arp. It doesn't need to be trigs in the sequencer, you can also play it live, or route midi from an external source too.

@marcuspresident said:

@aleyas said:

So how do you advance the arp by one step in Drambo?!

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@aplourde said:

Fugue Machine makes a great input for an arpeggiator though. With careful adjustment you can get FM—>arp to spin out lovely long melody lines.

That basically describes about 40% of my tracks :)

Sometimes it's really simple, like sending a slow playhead to iSEM with its arp engaged to get a pulsing bass line. Sometimes it's feeding "chords" from FM with multiple playheads to get the evolving arp runs....

• I always find inspiration in the arp functions within Quantum Sequencer by Tony Saunders. Still one of my favorite apps, and I feel I haven't even begun to scratch the surface, the possibilities are endless.

• BramBos Rozetta Arp in 80% cases i need arpeggiation ... for more complex stuff StepPolyArp ..