Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano Motifs by Fernando Morales

Comments

• I couldn’t see any update available, but a delete and reinstall did the job, nice one

• edited May 2020

@azul3D_Apps : Well, I’m pretty damn impressed with this for the price. Here’s an unedited 3 minute vid of a work in progress of what I’ve done so far with it’s first ever auto generated motif:

Only presets used, and no editing of the MIDI file.

I’d be very keen to be able to set the key and lower the tempo down to a minimum of 20bpm in app, though neither are deal breakers as I can muck around with them in Photon AU, as I did here. Also, if you made it play MIDI and or audio straight out as an AU, I could cut out the Photon AU middleman, which would be nice.

Still: very happy as is. Thanks for a great app for the musically challenged! ( me, that is... :) )

• Yeah, you may have to search for the app itself as it didn't show in my Updates list. But when I searched for the app, I saw it had an Update option--that yielded the latest version.

And of course the first generated melody was drop dead Eminor goodness. Better than anything I've written lately, which is both exhilarating and sobering.

• @azul3D_Apps Awesome. Thank you so much For adding this. Your forum comment has made me decide to go buy it.

• @lukesleepwalker there are obviously some workarounds as you mentioned but yea midi out would be a great addition

• @azul3D_Apps What a great app, I just bought it and first couple motifs I created sounded great. Easily saw all the important key, scale, time, bpm info which is great. I don’t want to keep throwing requests at you, but taking the tempo down to at least 60bpm, is kind of a necessity. I write in the 60’s and in the low 70’s a decent amount, so it be great to take the tempo a little lower than 75bpm. If your feeling generous taking it even lower then 60bpm, say down to 40bpm or 20bpm would be very welcomed. Thanks for making such a great app, really excited to see what it comes up with...

• Yes, I think that if this app gets some more of these features, it could easily become a really popular app, and the price could also be upped then no problem if necessary, I’d imagine.

• edited May 2020

So I used Piano Motif and saved the first motif that was generated and saved the motif as a wave file. Luckily I still have the motif saved in the app. But anyway I was just accused of sampling music from another forum member's Soundcloud account. And all I did was take the sample generated by the app and run it through some effects which I posted in this thread. And the results are very similar to the person who accused me. I posted a private video of me playing the exact motif from the app itself. Hopefully, that will satisfy them.

Update:
    The issue has been peacefully resolved

• Hi> @Gavinski said:

@azul3D_Apps just got this, REALLY GREAT! The first thing it came out with was just so damn beautiful. Copied it into AUM via audioshare, put it at 40 percent the original speed, added some woodlofier for a bit of wow and flutter type shenanigans some and audio degrading, added reverb before and after, I'm in heaven!

One thing I notice is that the loop isn't syncing totally properly, there is a gap of about half a second. Wonder why that would be?

@Gavinski, thanks! To be honest, this app was initially envisioned as an entertainment app for people with no musical creation or recording expertise (that's why there is so little control all around). At the end of the motifs the last melody note is sometimes extended beyond the last bar as to not finish the motif abruptly, which could be unpleasant to the ear. This is carried over into the MIDI file and that is probably why when you loop, it doesn't sync properly. I will be looking at what can be done here so that the MIDI files can be looped with no issues.

• Hi, thanks for the reply Fernando. Yes, I was thinking that it wasn’t designed for looping, and I can see why. Maybe it would be cool to have a loop mode and a non-loop mode. But of course ppl can also just take what is produced and make their own loops in an editor, much more hassle of course that way.

• @mingxiu said:
    It was good, after the update it’s great.
    Maybe one day we can even choose the scale :)
    5 stars.

Thanks @mingxiu, adding the ability to choose the scale is on the list of features for future revisions. Five stars will look great in the App Store 😀. Thanks!

• @bleep said:
    Great little generator, this one. I picked it up and 10 seconds later the mentioned 1.5 update was out:)

@azul3D_Apps perhaps the updated info also could display the chord names used in the progression? Would make it easier to set up accompanying progressions in other midi apps (like Touchscaper).

@azul3D_Apps said:
    Like @tehskwrl mentioned, this is my first incursion into music apps. As such, I still have a lot to learn about streamlined MIDI connectivity and Audio Units, but it does sound as the next evolution step for this app.

AUv3 audio units are probably a bit daunting to approach in your first incursion, but there was recently a link to some example AUv3 app framework code in this forum. Can't remember the link ...
    Would be awesome if you manage to take this app in that direction!

Thanks @bleep, I will definitely look at the ability to display the chord names used in the progression for future revisions. It was interesting to see the post by @white using the chordfinder web app to extract the chords. There are so many cool apps out there!

• @azul3D_Apps said:

@mingxiu said:
    It was good, after the update it’s great.
    Maybe one day we can even choose the scale :)
    5 stars.

Thanks @mingxiu, adding the ability to choose the scale is on the list of features for future revisions. Five stars will look great in the App Store 😀. Thanks!

Would also be nice to alter the time signature. Very nice app!

• @Gavinski said:
    I would really like a feature where you can select in advance the minimum octave used in the piece. Because I like to slow things down to 2/3 or 1/2 speed, and this works better with the original recording at a higher pitch, otherwise it is very boomy. But I think for other uses this would also be good. For example, people might want their piano bit to be used for a bass, or be in the mid range, or more treble, so this would be good for lots of use cases. @azul3D_Apps

@gavinski, I am looking at having an expert mode where the user can choose the key, scale, time signature. I could also add controls for the minimum and maximum octave. In the little time I have been in the forum, I have learned a lot about the so many different ways you can work in digital music creation. I am really a newbie in this world.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @azul3D_Apps : Well, I’m pretty damn impressed with this for the price. Here’s an unedited 3 minute vid of a work in progress of what I’ve done so far with it’s first ever auto generated motif:

Only presets used, and no editing of the MIDI file.

I’d be very keen to be able to set the key and lower the tempo down to a minimum of 20bpm in app, though neither are deal breakers as I can muck around with them in Photon AU, as I did here. Also, if you made it play MIDI and or audio straight out as an AU, I could cut out the Photon AU middleman, which would be nice.

Still: very happy as is. Thanks for a great app for the musically challenged! ( me, that is... :) )

Thanks @Svetlovska, great to see you're creating away with Piano Motifs! Great work!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Yeah, you may have to search for the app itself as it didn't show in my Updates list. But when I searched for the app, I saw it had an Update option--that yielded the latest version.

And of course the first generated melody was drop dead Eminor goodness. Better than anything I've written lately, which is both exhilarating and sobering.

@lukesleepwalker, even though I know the internal generation algorithms, I am also surprised and amazed at some of the tunes the app generates. Of course, not all are going to be top ten hits, but there is now a skip button for that 😀.
    Also, I will look into being able to select the time signature, it just limited to 4/4 and 3/4 right now, but maybe this could be expanded in the future.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @azul3D_Apps What a great app, I just bought it and first couple motifs I created sounded great. Easily saw all the important key, scale, time, bpm info which is great. I don’t want to keep throwing requests at you, but taking the tempo down to at least 60bpm, is kind of a necessity. I write in the 60’s and in the low 70’s a decent amount, so it be great to take the tempo a little lower than 75bpm. If your feeling generous taking it even lower then 60bpm, say down to 40bpm or 20bpm would be very welcomed. Thanks for making such a great app, really excited to see what it comes up with...

Thanks @Poppadocrock, glad to hear you are liking the app. Thanks for the feedback, increasing the range of the tempo will definitely be something that can be investigated for future revisions.

• Brilliant, I’m going to go give you a 5 star review now too. Welcome to iOS development, may you have a long and prosperous road ahead of you!

• @azul3D_Apps Thanks. I’m always happy when a developer is open on this forum and allows the users to have some input , ultimately it always makes for a better app. Going to give you 5 stars on App Store now. Cheers!

• @azul3D_Apps great updates thanks for listening to all our requests and welcome to the forum :)

• Love this app but after a while of trying different motifs the skip button disappears... odd.
    Cheers

• @Toastedghost said:
    Love this app but after a while of trying different motifs the skip button disappears... odd.
    Cheers

You've clearly offended the algorithm by skipping too many of its most cherished creations.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Toastedghost said:
    Love this app but after a while of trying different motifs the skip button disappears... odd.
    Cheers

You've clearly offended the algorithm by skipping too many of its most cherished creations.

Lol.

• edited May 2020

I just bought the app, running on my iPhone 5 SE... (same issue on my iPad Pro 10,5 2017). I like it but I have one issues and one request (at the moment).

Sometimes, randomly, the bpm data disappears:

If I play one motif previously saved, I haven't found any way to stop it. So, if that feature doesn't exist, it would be my request.

Thanks.

Edited: When one motif ends, "i" shows the info and the bpm appears, then you push "play" or "New" and you can adjust it. So I figure out this is the way that it works, isn't?

• @Gavinski said:
    Brilliant, I’m going to go give you a 5 star review now too. Welcome to iOS development, may you have a long and prosperous road ahead of you!

@Gavinski @Poppadocrock thanks for the nice reviews 😊.
    Actually I have been developing iOS apps for a while, but this is my first musical app.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Cheers

@Toastedghost, yes that is quite odd. Could it be that you were replaying a motif that had already been generated? In that case, the skip button isn’t displayed. I will probably enable it in that case too.

• edited May 2020

@fjcblanco said:
    I just bought the app, running on my iPhone 5 SE... (same issue on my iPad Pro 10,5 2017). I like it but I have one issues and one request (at the moment).

Sometimes, randomly, the bpm data disappears:

>

If I play one motif previously saved, I haven't found any way to stop it. So, if that feature doesn't exist, it would be my request.

Thanks.

Edited: When one motif ends, "i" shows the info and the bpm appears, then you push "play" or "New" and you can adjust it. So I figure out this is the way that it works, isn't?

Hi @fjcblanco, the bpm and song info, plus the button labels will only be displayed when the info button (“i”) is activated. In your screenshot I can see it’s not activated (it will be shaded with a transparent gray when it’s activated).
    You are correct about there not being a way to stop the playing of previously saved motifs. I can look into that, but you would lose the ability of sharing the corresponding audio file (not the MIDI file) as this file is generated on the fly when the saved motif is played. Audio files for saved motifs aren’t stored on the device to save on device storage space.

• @gusgranite said:
    Welcome @azul3D_Apps 👋

@Fingolfinzzz said:
    @azul3D_Apps great updates thanks for listening to all our requests and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks @gusgranite and @Fingolfinzzz

• @azul3D_Apps Consider a Pro model for a few extra shekels I think Sir :)