Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro and automatic loop finding: Can you help me with training data?

[Edit: Shamelessly using a forum announcement to try to get more help here - I've only received about 20 samples so far, and I'd love to have an order of magnitude more than that to really make this feature work well on launch, so I need all the help I can get!]

Hey!

You may have noticed from the Loopy Pro thread that I'm working on a feature that will automatically figure out the tempo, start and end points of a perfect loop without any actual interaction required - no having to carefully time the start and end recording points, it just figures it out.

It's working fairly well already, but I really need a variety of training data in order to refine it and tune it. I've made some myself, but could definitely use a hand!

I thought I'd see if anyone was up for recording some rough (the rougher, the better!) loops and sending them my way ([email protected])? I'm looking for something like this:

https://drop.michael.tyson.id.au/1589360499/guitar-strumming-4a.m4a (sorry, Ben Harper)

i.e. pretty unstructured and raw, not trimmed down to a loop or anything, and if it varies slightly in tempo like the above, all the better to put the algorithm through its paces 😁. Singing, beatboxing, playing an instrument, or a synth through AB, pretty much anything people would be doing with Loopy would be helpful. They could be just recorded in Voice Notes, or through AUM/Audioshare/Loopy/whatever, and emailed to [email protected]. If I ended up with a few tens of samples, or even better, a few hundred, that'd be amazing, and a huge help. Then I can get data crunching!

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Just sent a single file with multiple recordings. Hope you are fine to chop it up.

• How do I send you the samples. Thanks

• Thanks heaps @Ailerom! That’s perfect!

@Toastedghost - cheers! Email to [email protected] if that’s easy for you.

• I've just sent to you couple of (crapy) samples :) (in 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, with voice, Clarinet, and bass Clarinet... i trust you for the guitar samples :) )

• how do we post audio clips to the forum like that! wow

• Just sent one, I’m sure I can find more :)

• I've just sent to you couple of (crapy) samples :) (in 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, with voice, Clarinet, and bass Clarinet... i trust you for the guitar samples :) )> @naboo said:

I've just sent to you couple of (crapy) samples :) (in 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, with voice, Clarinet, and bass Clarinet... i trust you for the guitar samples :) )

With the clarinet sample, you may be annoyed by the breathing before the start of the loop :) (to detect the actual start of course)

• This is an awesome idea and I'll have to look to see if I have any unprocessed loops to share.

• Wonderful, thanks all! Very good start. Keep 'em coming!

• edited May 2020

@reasOne - I actually uploaded it to a different place, but now you point it out, it'd be a nice thing to have working here. I just enabled it:

(edit: Hmm. Vanilla's not using the player for local files. Annoying.)

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Michael : i’ve Posted a few loops done today without metronome

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qeux7nyrsnbcfj5/AABl7-qWWyK2sKMW0y031P__a?dl=0

Thank you!!

• Nice feature! :)

• Just sent you some guitar samples through email

• @Michael PM with 3 flute recordings sent 😊

• Thanks guys!

• @Michael said:
    @reasOne - I actually uploaded it to a different place, but now you point it out, it'd be a nice thing to have working here. I just enabled it:

(edit: Hmm. Vanilla's not using the player for local files. Annoying.)

dang it vanilla!!

• @Michael
    Does it load m4a or is it better to keep them wav?
    Also, most what I recorded are odd time signature and you mentioned it's not there yet (they are 2 or 4 bars though) - do you have any use for such?

Out of curiosity - will it be able to record straight to compressed format?

• edited May 2020

I have just send some acoustic stuff. 👍🏼

• Yay, thanks everyone! That’s very helpful!

@0tolerance4silence Pretty much any format’s fine! Odd time signatures are okay too — it won’t be able to automatically detect them (just too many variables to work with), but you will be able to set the time signature in advance so it will work with that, and I’ve got that as part of my tests.

Internally it uses PCM uncompressed to avoid quality loss.

• Hehe... rather kept the weird ones :)
    (email sent)

• What sorts of data would still be most useful, Michael? I'm very much looking forward to the feature. What would help you out most?

@Michael said:
    Yay, thanks everyone! That’s very helpful!

@0tolerance4silence Pretty much any format’s fine! Odd time signatures are okay too — it won’t be able to automatically detect them (just too many variables to work with), but you will be able to set the time signature in advance so it will work with that, and I’ve got that as part of my tests.

• @inakarmacoma said:
    What sorts of data would still be most useful, Michael? I'm very much looking forward to the feature. What would help you out most?

@Michael said:

Hmm, I don’t really have anything specific in mind – that’s partly why I am asking others, because my own generated samples carry assumptions that might not hold in general...

• @Michael said:

@inakarmacoma said:
    What sorts of data would still be most useful, Michael? I'm very much looking forward to the feature. What would help you out most?

@Michael said:

Hmm, I don’t really have anything specific in mind – that’s partly why I am asking others, because my own generated samples carry assumptions that might not hold in general...

Hmm. I have hundreds I can share. How about a Google drive folder?

• Sent a half dozen played drum loops in different tempos and time sigs.

• @Michael interested for bass riffs ?

• @inakarmacoma said:

@Michael said:

@inakarmacoma said:

@Michael said:

Hmm. I have hundreds I can share. How about a Google drive folder?

That would be great!

@ecamburn said:
    Sent a half dozen played drum loops in different tempos and time sigs.

Thanks!

@Korakios said:
    @Michael interested for bass riffs ?

Sure!

• @Michael said:
    I'm looking for something like this:

Hi @Michael , just to be clear:

do you need just the audio, or also the actual tempo as groundtruth ?
    (I'm going to do it within a Loopy session)

• edited May 2020

Hi Michael

I just recorded about 20 miscellaneous items, some were actual instruments. Emailed a single file containing all again so you need to chop them up. Hopefully they are useful as there is some real garbage in there. ;-)

It was a 44.1 wav of about 28 mb so if it doesn't turn up let me know and I'll sort something else out. If mp3 is ok let me know. That would be easier to send.

• Wonderful, @Ailerom, thanks!