Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano Motifs by Fernando Morales

Comments

• I can work around to use the exported midi in AUM, but it be annoying to figure out key, scale, and tempo every time. Especially when I’m trying to add other parts to the song. dang... I wanted this but not even showing you what key, scale and tempo of each motif, might be a deal breaker.

• You can tap tempo on another app to get it close if not perfect... could Tonality be used To find the key and scale? Or will it just show the midi chords being played?

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I can work around to use the exported midi in AUM, but it be annoying to figure out key, scale, and tempo every time. Especially when I’m trying to add other parts to the song. dang... I wanted this but not even showing you what key, scale and tempo of each motif, might be a deal breaker.

It’s probably not for you then. I think this app is best for generating starter ideas that you then develop and build around.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    I can work around to use the exported midi in AUM, but it be annoying to figure out key, scale, and tempo every time. Especially when I’m trying to add other parts to the song. dang... I wanted this but not even showing you what key, scale and tempo of each motif, might be a deal breaker.

It’s probably not for you then. I think this app is best for generating starter ideas that you then develop and build around.

Bing, bing.

• @Poppadocrock said:

You can use this site:

https://solmire.com/chordfinder/

It can give a hint of key, notes and chords used.

I uploaded a midi file from Piano Motifs and it gave a lot of info about the midi file:

• @White said:

@Poppadocrock said:

You can use this site:

https://solmire.com/chordfinder/

It can give a hint of key, notes and chords used.

I uploaded a midi file from Piano Motifs and it gave a lot of info about the midi file:

Fantastic. It works very well
    Thank you so much for the heads up!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I think it is a lovely and somewhat wonderful (mysterious even, as mentioned) very cheap app. But it also led me straight back to the more featured Spliqs. Both worth having in the sock drawer.

I'd missed Spliqs...thanks for the tip!

• @lasselu said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I think it is a lovely and somewhat wonderful (mysterious even, as mentioned) very cheap app. But it also led me straight back to the more featured Spliqs. Both worth having in the sock drawer.

Can anyone import a midi clip successfully in Spliqs? I just get crashes. I think it may be a known bug, but not sure.
    If it is possible, please share.
    I really want to try out some of my own midi clips.

• @lasselu said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

My pleasure. I find it a lot of fun but it does make me feel a bit guilty (somewhat like cheating :)). Of course, you Sir are but a handsome young dog and probably don't concern yourself with such indistinct moral matters. Carry on :)

• Here a little test jam I did with and audio loop I exported from Piano Motifs and running it thru some effects in Aum.

• @hacked_to_pieces
    That was pretty cool.
    I like how much the sound changed as you added in those FX nodes.
    The initial loop was totally unrecognizable by the end.

• @CracklePot said:

@lasselu said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Can anyone import a midi clip successfully in Spliqs? I just get crashes. I think it may be a known bug, but not sure.

It works via airdrop, so I airdrop the midi file from my iPhone to Spliqs on the iPad

• @White said:

@CracklePot said:

@lasselu said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

It works via airdrop, so I airdrop the midi file from my iPhone to Spliqs on the iPad

Sick!
    Thank you @white !
    🤙🏻

• @White said:

@CracklePot said:

@lasselu said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Very nice Sir....

• edited May 2020

@White & @JeffChasteen Cheers and Thanks.

• What are some of the AU options for playing these midi files in AUM? I haven't worked with midi files in this way until now.

• AU the only one is Proton. That’s lets you import midi files that is.... Unless your talking a midi workstation like Xequence 2. Ive been using musk midi player recently and IAA in AUM.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    AU the only one is Proton. That’s lets you import midi files that is.... Unless your talking a midi workstation like Xequence 2. Ive been using musk midi player recently and IAA in AUM.

The big downside for me with using the Photon app is that there is no state saving so you have to load in and setup your MIDI files every time you start or return to a session. A stripped down AUv3 version of Xequence where you can play back MIDI in sync with the host AUv3 app which allows you to import MIDI files would be welcome.

No MIDI file import in Atom piano roll is a big disappointment too. You can work around this by importing MIDI files into Xequence 2 and record their output into Atom piano roll.

There are many great apps that can export MIDI files, so it’s surprising to me that we‘ve yet to see an AUv3 app that can simply import MIDI files and output the MIDI stream which will also respond to AUv3 host app transport controls and has state savings. We’ve got an AUv3 audio file player app, SFZ, SF2, and EXS AUv3 apps but not an AUv3 MIDI file player🤷🏼‍♂️. Such an AUv3 MIDI player would need to have good preset support and integration with Files app so you could easily find and restore your MIDI files.

• It is definitely really surprising that there isn’t something like this already, indeed. Weird. Pity about lack of state saving in Photon, because otherwise that sounds like a nice free (for those with Mozaic) solution.

• @Paulinko said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    AU the only one is Proton. That’s lets you import midi files that is.... Unless your talking a midi workstation like Xequence 2. Ive been using musk midi player recently and IAA in AUM.

The big downside for me with using the Photon app is that there is no state saving so you have to load in and setup your MIDI files every time you start or return to a session. A stripped down AUv3 version of Xequence where you can play back MIDI in sync with the host AUv3 app which allows you to import MIDI files would be welcome.

No MIDI file import in Atom piano roll is a big disappointment too. You can work around this by importing MIDI files into Xequence 2 and record their output into Atom piano roll.

There are many great apps that can export MIDI files, so it’s surprising to me that we‘ve yet to see an AUv3 app that can simply import MIDI files and output the MIDI stream which will also respond to AUv3 host app transport controls and has state savings. We’ve got an AUv3 audio file player app, SFZ, SF2, and EXS AUv3 apps but not an AUv3 MIDI file player🤷🏼‍♂️. Such an AUv3 MIDI player would need to have good preset support and integration with Files app so you could easily find and restore your MIDI files.

Agreed we need a all round AU midi file player that imports midi files then players them with tight host and files app integration. Musk midi player is good but it's only IAA and its a bit clunky on initial load.

On a side note I asked Christian the dev of Tonalty song writing and practice tool if he intends to add midi out anytime soon and he is planning to add it at some point. It's a great chord progression app best on iOS I think for creating just hope connectivity gets upped in the future.

• @Gavinski said:
    It is definitely really surprising that there isn’t something like this already, indeed. Weird. Pity about lack of state saving in Photon, because otherwise that sounds like a nice free (for those with Mozaic) solution.

Photon is a separate app, not free either. How is Mozaic involved?

• I thought this was a Mozaic script? I searched for photon on the app store and found nothing, but I did notice there is a Mozaic script called photon so assumed it was that. Could u send an app store link please? Maybe not available in my area. @bleep

• No worries, Photon AU.... I found it

• @Gavinski said:
    No worries, Photon AU.... I found it

Though doubt I would get it if it doesn't have state saving

• @Gavinski said:
    What are some of the AU options for playing these midi files in AUM? I haven't worked with midi files in this way until now.

You can import the midi file into SunVox AU, it works fine. I just don’t think SunVox AU has midi out.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lasselu said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

My pleasure. I find it a lot of fun but it does make me feel a bit guilty (somewhat like cheating :)). Of course, you Sir are but a handsome young dog and probably don't concern yourself with such indistinct moral matters. Carry on :)

:)

• I just copy my midi files into the “midi” folder in the Spliqs storage space. Then they are available to use in the app.

• I’d really like to know how to get rid of Spliqs I will never use if anyone has figured that out.

• It seems to me like the embedded bpm for exported midi is 2x what it should be for Piano Motifs. When I import to Cubasis or Zenbeats and add a placeholder drum loop to work out the rest of the song, the piano part sounds the way it should but the import has set the bpm so high that the drummer is going absolutely bananas.

Is there any way to change the bpm associated with a midi file??