Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    What’s the best app for importing and playing a midi file in AUM? I thought it might be this one, but apparently not.

IMO photon au is perfect for that

• @rickelal3 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    What’s the best app for importing and playing a midi file in AUM? I thought it might be this one, but apparently not.

IMO photon au is perfect for that

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

• Mid Sketch does this as well and you can edit the midi (like Atom)
    However it is not AU3
    Nikolozi the maker of the excellent and now AU synths Mela, NPD, and NFM might be interested if enough people expressed interest.

• Also you can record MIDI into

Drambo

• @audiblevideo said:
    Also you can record MIDI into

Drambo

this is true 😎 i’ve been recording fugue machine and spa etc right into drambo to use its pattern arrangement options

• @reasOne said:

@audiblevideo said:

Drambo

this is true 😎 i’ve been recording fugue machine and spa etc right into drambo to use its pattern arrangement options

You know SPA has patterns right? That you can arrange ;)

• @audiblevideo said:

@reasOne said:

@audiblevideo said:

Drambo

You know SPA has patterns right? That you can arrange ;)

ya but it’s a hassle compared to drambo running everything in one place, but i do use spa a lot like that pre drambo

• edited May 2020

@audiblevideo said:

Drambo

I think it's been mentioned that Import/Export, PianoRoll will be added in time... That should end this rediculous lack of good midi handling on ios music.

Maybe we can bribe Drambo's Developer to prioritize it.

• @audiblevideo said:

Drambo

Can you record midi from Atom into Drambo? Or can I export the midi from Atom?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@audiblevideo said:

Drambo

Can you record midi from Atom into Drambo? Or can I export the midi from Atom?

Atom has NO import or EXPORT. You'd have to record its midi into Photon or Xequencer Cubasis etc, and YES absolutely can record it into Drambo.

• How do I set that up in AUM?
    Thinking of migrating all my Atom midi in AUM sessions to Drambo sequencers.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    How do I set that up in AUM?

1. Open Drambo instance
    2. Open atom or sequencer
    3. Point Atom or sequencer at Drambo
    4. Make sure you have enough steps by pressing on the blue button with a 01 at the top left. This is your pattern(s) area. The 01 is you first pattern. Choose you pattern step length from the dialog. You can add patterns by pressing the + button next to it.
    5. Press the record button in Drambo
    6. Press play
    7. It is now recording.
  • @klownshed said:
    With regards to moving the bar length slider, I can get it to work every time if I first drag the song position cursor all the way to line up with the bar end marker first. You can then tap the marker above the song position cursor marker and drag it.

Another trick I’ve just discovered is to just play AUM transport, then end marker can be moved no problem.

• @audiblevideo said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    How do I set that up in AUM?

1. Open Drambo instance
    2. Open atom or sequencer
    3. Point Atom or sequencer at Drambo
    4. Make sure you have enough steps by pressing on the blue button with a 01 at the top left. This is your pattern(s) area. The 01 is you first pattern. Choose you pattern step length from the dialog. You can add patterns by pressing the + button next to it.
    5. Press the record button in Drambo
    6. Press play
    7. It is now recording.

Thanks for the patient explanation. It really is that easy. I was expecting the need to create a special Drambo instrument or needing a special module.
    The other thing: It seems I can run a Drambo sequencer as a midi channel or audio channel. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

• As far as I understand, your answer as it relates to your previous inquiry, would be midi out to another synth, unless you’re running a Drambo internal synth. The internal synth run on midi and cv but it’s final output is audio.

Ben Richards, and Sound for More both have excellent Drambo vids.
    Sound for More covers more of the how does this app work.

• edited May 2020

Omg... I’ve tried (unsuccessfully) MANY times to use Atom, and a couple of tricks mentioned here finally clicked. I could never get the clip length extended. I was trying to drag the length to the right and it just wasn’t happening. But the trick mentioned above of moving the song position out to the end before dragging fixed that. And after trying again, recording (Loop Record) works great. Btw, is there a quick way to “rewind” the song position? Might be nice to have a couple of “set song position to start/end” buttons.

The fact that it’s AUV3 and has a piano roll just makes it SO handy. I’m classically trained, so I use Symphony Pro (rather than trying to enter notes in a piano roll), which is more familiar to me, then export to MIDI. I can import the MIDI to Xequence2, then play from X2 to Atom. If I want to improvise, I can record from the MIDI keyboard to X2, Quantize/clean, and send it on to Atom.

The ability to have multiple Atoms adds a whole new dimension. It’s kinda typical for me to buy apps and take a long time to learn them, but reading here has been a breakthrough for finally getting straight with Atom.

Cool!

—————

Edit...

But nothing I can do will expand the clip size beyond 40 measures. Is that a limitation?

• When atom is in Audiobus, it doesn’t respect the notch on iPhone. It makes it a right pain to use. Funnily enough Drambo is the same. Any idea if there’s anything that can be done about this from within Audiobus?

Only other significant issue I have is that zoom is x and y at the same time which I’ve never seen on a piano roll. It makes it really hard to zoom in on a bit and move it up and down.

• @motmeister said:
    Omg... I’ve tried (unsuccessfully) MANY times to use Atom, and a couple of tricks mentioned here finally clicked. I could never get the clip length extended. I was trying to drag the length to the right and it just wasn’t happening. But the trick mentioned above of moving the song position out to the end before dragging fixed that. And after trying again, recording (Loop Record) works great. Btw, is there a quick way to “rewind” the song position? Might be nice to have a couple of “set song position to start/end” buttons.

The fact that it’s AUV3 and has a piano roll just makes it SO handy. I’m classically trained, so I use Symphony Pro (rather than trying to enter notes in a piano roll), which is more familiar to me, then export to MIDI. I can import the MIDI to Xequence2, then play from X2 to Atom. If I want to improvise, I can record from the MIDI keyboard to X2, Quantize/clean, and send it on to Atom.

The ability to have multiple Atoms adds a whole new dimension. It’s kinda typical for me to buy apps and take a long time to learn them, but reading here has been a breakthrough for finally getting straight with Atom.

Cool!

—————

Edit...

But nothing I can do will expand the clip size beyond 40 measures. Is that a limitation?

40 measures is the limit, alas.

• So how do you have multiple clips with Atom. I've never really understood this.

• @cian said:
    So how do you have multiple clips with Atom. I've never really understood this.

just launch another instance of Atom - each new one that launches will have a different color.

• I just bought Musk Midi Player which has AB3, IAA and Core-Midi compatibly. I was tired of not being able to easily get a midi file Into a session, now I can. It works good in AUM. I imported a midi file and drove a synth. Then recorded the midi in Atom. It has up to 16 channels. Only $1.99.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/musk-midi-player/id781483331

• edited May 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:

@motmeister said:

Cool!

—————

Edit...

40 measures is the limit, alas.

You can use tempo factor, it’s easy then to have for example 4 X 40 bars at 0.25 factor:

Better than 40 bars limit, in this case it’s like 160 bars, and grid can go to 1/256 if needed.

• @Halftone said:

@cian said:
    So how do you have multiple clips with Atom. I've never really understood this.

just launch another instance of Atom - each new one that launches will have a different color.

And how do I switch between them?

• So I just purchased Atom after looking through some of the tutorial videos and realizing that setting the tempo to a negative number results in a reverse playback. This is amazing and the one thing ( I think!) that makes Fugue Machine (my previous favorite sequencer!) obsolete. Unless someone can tell me what Fugue Machine can do now that Atom, and/or multiple instances of Atom cannot?

• I'm going to repeat this question, as I've never managed to find something on this.

If I have multiple instances of Atom, each one of which represents a different clip, how do people switch between them? Do they use a different sequencer, a different instance of Atom (maybe playing slower)? Something involving Mozaik?

• That's a very good question, @cian.

I tend to have various clips in a channel and I do a hands-on toggling to get them to play as I like (with the regular flub). Would love to see a sequencer or a clip launcher hack.

• @cian said:
    I'm going to repeat this question, as I've never managed to find something on this.

If I have multiple instances of Atom, each one of which represents a different clip, how do people switch between them? Do they use a different sequencer, a different instance of Atom (maybe playing slower)? Something involving Mozaik?

I’m trying to figure this out right now

• edited May 2020

@cian said:
    I'm going to repeat this question, as I've never managed to find something on this.

You can manually trigger them on and off but not sequence the pattern changes.

The lack of automatic pattern switching/triggering is one of Atom’s major limitations. It stops it being of any real use to me to be honest.

• Hey Guys,

Does anyone know how to change the midi channel for outputting midi in ATOM?

• Can you do a refund after having Atom from inception? If yes, just might be a good way to ‘shake up’ this developer... Sweet Jesus, all I need is midi import, midi output and maybe midi channel routing...