Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo output separate midi channels into Audiobus 3?

Serious noob question here.
I have a Drambo file with 3 tracks - all going out on different midi channels. I want to use multiple instances of a single synth (Factory, for example) and assign each channel to a different patch. It just outputs all channels at once.
I'm able to achieve this in ApeMatrix but don't know how to do it in Audiobus3.
Am I just daft?

Comments

• You have to use an app in the Midi FX slot that can isolate the channels, since AB ignores those.

I used mfx Strip on each lane and set it to receive just the channel I want.
    I don’t have Factory, but it worked with multi- instanced Aparillo.
    Each instance just played what it was supposed to, per Midi channel assignment.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

mfxStrip or similar is the only way around this in Audiobus as far as I know, unless the plug-in has it's own midi filtering.

• @wim said:
    mfxStrip or similar is the only way around this in Audiobus as far as I know, unless the plug-in has it's own midi filtering.

You could run Drambo in standalone mode and send the Midi to Audiobus Virtual midi. That will respect your channel assignments, but you get no tempo/transport sync between Drambo and Audiobus (which sucks for a lot of setup situations).

• You guys nailed it.
    Thanks!

• edited May 2020

Not to derail the thread but I wanna ask 2 questions to the Drambo experts here...

1. Does a Drambo file store MIDI, audio project, or both if I open it from a different device?
    2. Are you sending MIDI to different channels or audio to different channels, or both in Audiobus 3?
  • wimwim
    edited May 2020

@Samflash3 said:
    Not to derail the thread but I wanna ask 2 questions to the Drambo experts here...

1. Does a Drambo file store MIDI, audio project, or both if I open it from a different device?

I'm not sure I understand that question. It stores everything needed for the project. That includes all the sequenced notes and automation, synth settings, routings, any audio used in any samplers, etc. But it's not like something like a DAW that would store audio clips, midi files, etc. It also isn't storing any tracks as audio files (though it will export a song or individual tracks as audio.) It doesn't export midi, and I don't think stores its sequence data as midi.

1. Are you sending MIDI to different channels or audio to different channels, or both in Audiobus 3?

You can send MIDI out to different channels if you configure the outputs that way. However, Audiobus 3 doesn't have the concept of channel filtering internally without something like mfxConvert to do that for you. AUM is more convenient from that perspective.

Drambo doesn't output to multiple audio channels yet. Audiobus doesn't support AUv3 multiple channel audio output yet either.

• Perfect. Thanks @wim for the answers.

• @Samflash3 said:
    Perfect. Thanks @wim for the answers.

you might be able to learn more by dissecting a project file export, or by asking over on the Drambo forum if you haven't already.

• Hello. How can I have on one Drambo track more than one multi cc generator each going to a different midi channel.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    That’s how

Ahhh. I tried that, but missed the need to disconnect the second MIDI CC Generator input so I kept getting mixed output.

That last channel filter isn't needed, is it?

• I checked with Midi Spy. without midi filter it send on 2 channels simultaneously

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    I checked with Midi Spy. without midi filter it send on 2 channels simultaneously

Weird. That does not happen for me. It did when I had not disconnected the midi input for the 2nd Midi generator though.

• @wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    I checked with Midi Spy. without midi filter it send on 2 channels simultaneously

Weird. That does not happen for me. It did when I had not disconnected the midi input for the 2nd Midi generator though.

I exported mine. Try it:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d70d7vfz760xq1/2midi on1track.drproject?dl=0

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

I exported mine. Try it:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d70d7vfz760xq1/2midi on1track.drproject?dl=0

You have the midi output modules, but you also have the track midi output, which is redundant. If you disconnect that then you don’t need the last filter.