Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Copperhead: Xynthesizr & Fugue Machine live jam (w/ Zeeon, Mersenne, Poly 2, Enso, GlitchCore, etc.)

Another piece that came together quickly from further explorations of Xynthesizr’s Game of Life mutation function.

I set up a “Copperhead” and three "Lightweight spaceship” gliders on a simple custom scale (I, IV, V) so so the dense note clusters can work in a more musical context.

Xynthesizr is playing into Audio Damage’s Enso looper, pitching up and reversing the audio and feeding into JAX Stereo Tool.

Three instances of Fugue Machine:
1- play IceGear's Mersenne (through Numerical Audio’s SF-1 and bussed to GlitchCore);
2- trigger GlitchCore (which feeds into RE-1);
3- select Poly 2 patterns (which has multiple outputs feeding Rough Rider 3, EOS2, Replicant 2 and RE-1.

Playing Zeeon with the AUM keyboard through Eventide’s Blackhole reverb.

Hosted in AUM with mfxConvert for note to CC conversion and Photon capturing for posterity.

Comments

• Crazy good!!!!!!!!

• Amazing @aplourde
    The music is great, the "location", cameras, visual effects and mastery on the iPad surface... everything.

This makes any controller unnecessary.

• Awesome. Great with this morning’s coffee.

• @onerez said:
    Crazy good!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

@Monome said:
    Amazing @aplourde
    The music is great, the "location", cameras, visual effects and mastery on the iPad surface... everything.

Thanks, so much!

This makes any controller unnecessary.

Well, the next one probably will have a controller! :# Touchscreens make really fiddly keyboards; I flubbed a couple of notes, but you don't really notice with the patch I was using (wait, don't check!).

@celtic_elk said:
    Awesome. Great with this morning’s coffee.

Thanks! I'd suggest trying to pair it with a cocktail this evening!

• One of the best things I’ve heard in this forum (no disrespect to anyone else). This is amazingly good.

• @aplourde Fantastic stuff. Visually and aurally.

Even managed to train a fly to signal end of song. :smiley:

V.cool!

• @qryss said:
    One of the best things I’ve heard in this forum (no disrespect to anyone else). This is amazingly good.

Wow, thank you so much for the kind words! Ultimately I'm doing this for myself, to scratch that creative itch, but it's incredibly gratifying to get the feedback that others are enjoying what I'm doing.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    @aplourde Fantastic stuff. Visually and aurally.

Thank you!

Even managed to train a fly to signal end of song. :smiley:

V.cool!

Ugh, I lost count of how many takes were ruined because he kept missing his cue; but that's what I get for working with something that has a brain the size of a dust mite! 🦟

• I know I’m echoing what’s already been said but that was I think the best iPad/AUM jam I’ve heard/seen so far . When people ask me about the quality of music/performance that’s capable on an iPad , I’ll point them to this video.Very inspiring!

• Really wonderful, @aplourde

For the longest time I felt like Xynthesizr and FM were my own secret ingredients and wanted to keep it that way! Uncharitable, I know.
    But a terrific performance, especially the half-step modulations! Damn! And this is from me listening only; I wasn't even watching the video; I was "working" in another tab. (I did watch later, and you seem to live the life of the Oscar Isaac character in "Ex Machina"! Seriously. WHERE THE HELL DO YOU LIVE, MAN!?)

As for the recording for posterity in Photon: How exactly does that work? You mean all note and CC data you had going is recorded as midi somewhere?

• I am threadkiller. Look ye on my works and DESPAIR.

Seriously. More people need to hear this amazing track.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Seriously. More people need to hear this amazing track.

+1

• @hypnopad said:
    I know I’m echoing what’s already been said but that was I think the best iPad/AUM jam I’ve heard/seen so far . When people ask me about the quality of music/performance that’s capable on an iPad , I’ll point them to this video.Very inspiring!

Thank you so much! And glad to hear it's inspiring, I'm constantly amazed at what can be done with these ridiculously cheap tools when you combine them in novel ways.

You know, music is such a funny thing; I have tracks that I've spent weeks, months, years even trying to get an arrangement I like. And then something like this comes together in a couple of hours, if that. Actually, that's pretty much the case with everything I've posted this year; guess I need to stop overthinking things....

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Shit, where is @Alexandernaut?!

Hopefully working on his new app! :D

• Excellent! Dig how Fugue Machine is used for triggers.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Really wonderful, @aplourde

For the longest time I felt like Xynthesizr and FM were my own secret ingredients and wanted to keep it that way! Uncharitable, I know.

Thanks! Yeah Xynthesizr and Fugue Machine are hugely important to me as well; and they pair together beautifully!

Here I'm just running Xynthesizr on its own. Because of the Game of Life mutations it isn't static, but it's still basically providing an ostinato in the bass and some twinkly stuff up top. However, I frequently run a slow playhead in FM and use that to modulate Xynthesizr. When Xynthesizr is providing the bass line or counter melody that's a particularly fun way to drive it!

But a terrific performance, especially the half-step modulations! Damn! And this is from me listening only; I wasn't even watching the video; I was "working" in another tab. (I did watch later, and you seem to live the life of the Oscar Isaac character in "Ex Machina"! Seriously. WHERE THE HELL DO YOU LIVE, MAN!?)

Ha! Yeah, no. Lovely, but nothing that dramatic; I'm in the Catskills in NY

As for the recording for posterity in Photon: How exactly does that work? You mean all note and CC data you had going is recorded as midi somewhere?

Yes. I just double route everything so that, e.g. instance one of Fugue Machine is going to the AUM MIDI Control input to trigger GlitchCore, but is also routed to Photon; instance two of FM is playing Mersenne, but is also routed to Photon; instance three is selecting Poly2 patterns, but is also routed to Photon; etc.. The only trick is to make sure that everything is on different MIDI channels so you can parse it out later.

I do these live jams as the combination of accessibility and limitations of the tools and personal ability mean that I don't face the "blank page" paralysis of choice that comes when looking at a full blown DAW. And also because I have to accept that things aren't going to be perfect. However, I've been considering, more and more, using these jams as the basis for more sculpted compositions. Who knows if I'll ever get around to it, but capturing the MIDI is a step!

• @auxmux said:
    Excellent! Dig how Fugue Machine is used for triggers.

It's a really great technique since you can set up a "normal" sequence of triggers with one playhead and then run the other playheads at different rates and directions to get interesting and complex variations....

• edited May 2020

@aplourde How are you managing the midi file after recording in Photon? Is there a way to extract those parts into separate tracks? Xequence doesn't support this yet.

Also, shout-out to Tri-State Area. I'm west of the the city in burbs.

• @auxmux said:
    @aplourde How are you managing the midi file after recording in Photon? Is there a way to extract those parts into separate tracks? Xequence doesn't support this yet.

Also, shout-out to Tri-State Area. I'm west of the the city in burbs.

Ha, well I'm not actually doing anything with the MIDI just yet! But also, if I do, it will be on the Mac in Logic where you can split by channel.

• This is amazing! I'm a fan, alright... but this is something else :love:

• This is excellent! I'm also really intrigued with the Game of Life aspect of Xynthesizr and cellular automaton in general for sequencing.

@aplourde Is there a good reference with a list of patterns or gliders to experiment with?

• @aplourde said:

Ugh, I lost count of how many takes were ruined because he kept missing his cue; but that's what I get for working with something that has a brain the size of a dust mite! 🦟

Never work with animals.

...or insects!

:)

• @aplourde said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    Shit, where is @Alexandernaut?!

Hopefully working on his new app! :D

Lol, @aplourde always knows what's up. Awesome video :]

• edited May 2020

@aplourde

Oh man.

I just searched YouTube specifically for an old Sonogrid > Senode vid and found out you're the same dude!

Cool channel. :)

• @SynthTalk said:
    This is excellent! I'm also really intrigued with the Game of Life aspect of Xynthesizr and cellular automaton in general for sequencing.

@aplourde Is there a good reference with a list of patterns or gliders to experiment with?

There are several sites for CGoL, but this is a simple and direct page showing the elementary spaceships at the various speeds.

As you can see, an issue is that many require bounding boxes and cell counts that exceed what you can do with Xynthesizr. But then, anything so massive will be such a dense mass of notes that the musical utility it questionable (unless you're using pure sine tones and building up harmonics....)

The LifeWiki is the best reference for patterns, however, if you want a comprehensive census of objects that result from random soup there's the Catalog; assuming you don't mind searching through 751 trillion objects...

• @SpookyZoo said:
    @aplourde

Oh man.

I just searched YouTube specifically for an old Sonogrid > Senode vid and found out you're the same dude!

Cool channel. :)

Thanks!

I've never had the patience to learn a single instrument, so I like to build systems that I can "conduct" and pretend I'm playing!

• @aplourde thanks for the links. I like what you suggested, using a harmonic approach with sine waves and a dense mass of notes :)

I'm working on a short article listing some selected generative midi tools. This looks like a rabbit hole :D

• @SynthTalk said:
    @aplourde thanks for the links. I like what you suggested, using a harmonic approach with sine waves and a dense mass of notes :)

Yeah, I need to try that myself!

Alternatively, set up a custom scale where you just have the root, forth, fifth, etc. can work well (It's what I did)

I'm working on a short article listing some selected generative midi tools. This looks like a rabbit hole :D

When you consider plugging everything into everything else it's more of a black hole from which you'll never return!
    Looking forward to the article.

BTW, you should interview @YuriT, it was great reading your other interviews and I'd love to get the backstory to Xynthesizr and Shoom (and sure many others would as well!)