Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Solved] Lumbeat's Drummers apps - Midi in : How to ?

I first posted this in another thread, but perhaps a dedicated thread could be more efficient... so here is a mystery I'd like to unravel :

How this guy managed to use Mid East Drummer as a sound module ? Same question about all Lumbeat's drummers that have the midi in feature... πŸ€”
I just can't figure out how to make this work. πŸ€’

A very detailed kind of tutorial would be a total gift for me !

Thanks πŸ™

Comments

• @Gratouilli said:
    I first posted this in another thread, but perhaps a dedicated thread could be more efficient... so here is a mystery I'd like to unravel :

How this guy managed to use Mid East Drummer as a sound module ? Same question about all Lumbeat's drummers that have the midi in feature... πŸ€”
    I just can't figure out how to make this work. πŸ€’

A very detailed kind of tutorial would be a total gift for me !

Thanks πŸ™

Turn on Sound Module mode.

Click on the MIDI Cable icon and set things up there.

Things you set up are: MIDI channel, the note numbers it responds to, and the device to receive MIDI from.

• edited May 2020

@espiegel123, it doesn't work at all on my iPad πŸ˜₯... Here's how I try to set both apps up :

• I explained how I get it to work in this other thread on ME Drummer.
    Scroll down the first page to about the middle and look for my posts.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38702/mid-east-drummer-on-sale/p1

• Route the keyboard straight into ME drummer?

• @CracklePot, sorry, I've seen your explanations, but (shame on me) I don't understand how you proceeded πŸ™ˆπŸ₯Ί

• @Gratouilli said:
    @CracklePot, sorry, I've seen your explanations, but (shame on me) I don't understand how you proceeded πŸ™ˆπŸ₯Ί

Aw man, just ask! 😊
    Do you have Audiobus 3 or Midiflow Adapter?
    If no, I recommend getting Audiobus 3. It covers a lot of holes in iOS music production.
    If you are tight on funds, maybe get MF Adapter if you can. It is pretty useful when apps don’t get along.

• Yes, I have Audiobus 3

• @Gratouilli said:
    Yes, I have Audiobus 3

Ok.

In Audiobus, setup a Midi strip like this. The Virtual Midi options are under the System tab when you are loading the input and output. I chose Channel 1 for input and Channel 10 for output.

In AUM, connect the KB (or a midi app) to the Audiobus 3 input.

In ME Drummer, turn on Sound Module and tap the Midi plug icon. Select Audiobus 3 as the Midi input.

Go back to AUM and test the KB in this range. You should hear some ME Drummer responding.

• πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ @CracklePot πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Thanks SO MUCH ! It works like a charm... and I would never have been able to set this up on my own. It very kind of you to have taken the time to help me πŸ‘.

• @Gratouilli said:
    πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ @CracklePot πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Thanks SO MUCH ! It works like a charm... and I would never have been able to set this up on my own. It very kind of you to have taken the time to help me πŸ‘.

Anytime, brother.
    πŸ€™πŸ»

• @CracklePot - Thanks for solving this plumbing puzzle. It took pictures and the right clues
    ... like D1 being activated by keyboard D2. What a mess but hopefully AUM (and the AudioBus) saves will allow me to run MIDI into Lumbeats.

Hopefully someone will put these images and instructions into the Wiki and we can point there (or here once this thread is in the Wiki thread list).

I've spent so much time working on this and given up thinking the plumbing isn't in the apps... Network Session 1 MIDI, AUM destinations... so many combinations that don't work
    and even if they did they don't agree what C1 is (it's probably that old C3 vs C4 controversy between Roland and Yamaha, was it?).

So, nice to have a solution. Big win.

PM me and I'll mail you a gift card. So nice to have the answer. I love these drums and want the full benefit from the $160 spent so far. The new IAP funk kits are ready to be mined for some killer grooves.

I wonder if this setup also helps just use AB for the Start/Stop controls for the Drummer and AUM installed AUv3's. I hope the sync is crisp.

• @yowza said:
    Route the keyboard straight into ME drummer?

That didn’t work for me. Seems like it should....

• This had been bugging me also.
    Been trying with reggae drummer
    Finally got it working, now saved setup inside audiobus, with octatron and the keyboard finally sending messages to reggae drummer.
    Not sure but following the instructions and opening the apps individually finally got it working for me
    Thanks

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@yowza said:
    Route the keyboard straight into ME drummer?

That didn’t work for me. Seems like it should....

You can use any app that shows it’s midi port to ME drummer, so you can select it in the ME drummer midi input list.
    The port named ME drummer virtual midi that you see in other apps doesn’t seem to be functioning.

• Gonna necro this thread :lol: Maybe I misunderstood some things, but I managed to route Rozeta to Soft Drummer
    Xequence didn't go... But Xequence went to Ruismaker FM and AR-909.
    No idea what i'm doing wrong

• edited November 2020

@senhorlampada said:
    Gonna necro this thread :lol: Maybe I misunderstood some things, but I managed to route Rozeta to Soft Drummer

It seems like there are various ways of interconnecting MIDI. Have you tried sending the MIDI source output to "Virtual MIDI"? Then you might find the source name in the inputs to the receiver. Or alternatively, start the receiver, send the source MIDI to the named app, then connect the receiver input to Virtual MIDI.

Edit: In your case, Xequence would be the MIDI source, Soft Drummer the receiver.

• @senhorlampada said:
    Gonna necro this thread :lol: Maybe I misunderstood some things, but I managed to route Rozeta to Soft Drummer

Can you post a picture of the MIDI SoftDrummer configuration? And xynthesizer’s.

In xynth, set its output to virtual midi. In Softdrummer, turn on soimd module mode. In its MIDI comfort, choose MIDI Monitor (the name synth gives its virtual midi port) and make sure you set the input midi channel to the one you are sending. By default, it listens to channel 10.

• Actually, I tried a lot of setups. Trying to route via AUM, AB... and using virtual midi and whatnot
    After reading you guys... I started messing around
    You have to toggle virtual midi in Xequence. And then in Soft Drummer, set Xequence Source as input.
    It seems that trying to route through the virtual connections of AUM and AB was messing around with the flow between them two

It worked :lol:
    But the GM mapping in Soft doesnt make sense :lol:

Thanks again!

• @senhorlampada said:
    Actually, I tried a lot of setups. Trying to route via AUM, AB... and using virtual midi and whatnot
    After reading you guys... I started messing around
    You have to toggle virtual midi in Xequence. And then in Soft Drummer, set Xequence Source as input.
    It seems that trying to route through the virtual connections of AUM and AB was messing around with the flow between them two

It worked :lol:
    But the GM mapping in Soft doesnt make sense :lol:

Thanks again!

The GM percussion mapping doesn't make sense; see list. But is the implementation in Soft Drummer correct? If so, then the rest is up to you...

• Yeah... I recorded from Soft to Xequence, but the notes weren't following the GM map. I just shifted all notes starting from C1 to C3 and it's ok

• @senhorlampada said:
    Yeah... I recorded from Soft to Xequence, but the notes weren't following the GM map. I just shifted all notes starting from C1 to C3 and it's ok

It’s the octave # free-for-all, once again! πŸ˜†

My general tip for sending/receiving midi w/Lumbeat apps is:
    NEVER use the Lumbeat Virtual Midi ports. The other app you are working with must show its own Virtual Midi Ports so you can select them in the Lumbeat app (for either in or out, or both).

If your other app does not show either of its midi ports (in/out), then you can start Audiobus and create a single Midi lane. Put Audiobus Virtual Midi in the input AND the output of this lane (found in the System tab when loading midi stuff in AB).

If your other app doesn’t show just one of its ports (like how AUM doesn’t show its Midi output port), then choose Audiobus3 as the port in your other app, and also in the Lumbeat app.
    (This works for most apps that you want to send AUM Midi to, but the app doesn’t support AUv3 or IAA Instrument connectivity).

Audiobus is just running in the background here, creating a Midi Port bridge that all apps can see and use.

• This summed it up pretty well. This is what I understood from reading your ideas and then through my head-scratching

:wink: Thanks, mate :sunglasses:

@CracklePot said:
    It’s the octave # free-for-all, once again! πŸ˜†

So true :tongue: