Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reclaimed 5GB of space by restoring iOS

edited August 2014 in General App Discussion

I recently backed up my 32 GB iPad 3, reset to factory settings and then restored from backup. As a side effect, I went from 3 GB free space to 8GB free space.

Technically the backup should have restored everything that was on there, so not sure where the 5GB phantom space came from, but it might be worth a try if you've had your device for a while and are feeling space constrained.

Comments

• Might be a while before you find out what you lost...

• Probably items in the "Other" category you see in the iPad's summary view in iTunes. It's caches and stuff, and tends to get very bloated after awhile. No way to force a refresh of it without doing a restore from back up after a fresh Reset. The Apple Genius guy told me it's better to restore from iCloud backup versus a computer if you can, tends to force more to free up.

Just did my wife's iPad after seeing her "other" space was 8GB!

• Hi.
    Those 3 Gb are on iTunes screen bar or when you go to "Adjustments/Information"?

• Is the iPad thinner now?

• The iOS clean-up (that is supposed to take care of this) kinda sucks. It only kicks in when the storage is completely full. There are, or atleast were, cleaner apps on the AppStore that forced the iOS clean-up function to kick in by completely filling up the storage with temp junk data.

• The restore was performed about three weeks ago, and based on my investigations since then I'm fairly certain I didn't lose anything.

I'm in the habit of constantly checking Settings > Usage to view and manage what apps are taking up space, and everything looks similar to before the refresh. This is also where I noticed the extra space listed (8GB available vs 3GB available previously).

I agree with @Tarekith that this is most likely accumulated cache data, log files, and such.
    I don't keep any MP3s or photos on this iPad, and my own personal files (Song data, documents etc.) don't amount to much space (I usually move completed audio off the iPad.)

• I've even seen movies and songs I've deleted on my iPad seemingly go here too, it's like a cache all for crap you don't need.

• @ChrisG Interesting, that would mean my obsessive desire to never let my free space go below 3GB has actually been working against me...

• So will a backup retain all your files too? Say I have a bunch of presets, song files, etc. will I lose those? My "Other" section is getting kind of bloated, and after seeing this I thought this might be useful to do, but I certainly don't want to lose any work.

• @1P18, you need iFunbox.

• @1P18 said:

So will a backup retain all your files too? Say I have a bunch of presets, song files, etc. will I lose those? My "Other" section is getting kind of bloated, and after seeing this I thought this might be useful to do, but I certainly don't want to lose any work.

Should be fine, I do it all the time. Just make sure you force an iCloud Back Up right before you restore the OS, and everything should be exactly the same afterwards. iFunbox is always a good safety net just in case though.

• Restoring every once in a while can improve the performance, too. At least that worked for me.

• For me too... I just tried on my IPad Air, after 6 months of extensive use ;-)... And I gained 3-4 extra Gb and performances have improved... with no data loss and no need to reinstall or reconfugure anything... Great !!!

• Is there a step by step guide somewhere explaining how to do this? I need to get some spark back into my old 2, but I'd hate to lose all my "work" just because I did something stupid...

1. Sync your iPad with your computer via iTunes. Back up to iTunes now as well, just to be safe.

2. In the iPad's settings for iCloud, perform a "back up to Icloud now".

3. In the iPad's General settings, perform an erase and restore to completely wipe the iPad back to factory state.

4. When that's done, log back in with your apple id on the iPad, and chose to restore from the iCloud back up you just made. That will take a bit of time, and will restore all your apps and settings, but not things like your music, pictures, and movies.

5. Sync with iTunes again once the above is done, to get all the rest of your data back (music, pictures, etc).

• Thanks a lot!

I guess for #2 I'll need more than the free 5GB of space in iCloud?

• The other day I was able to force iOS to reclaim space by trying to install a giant app (1.6 GB)

I got the error message that there wasn't enough space, then a bunch of app icons said "cleaning" and voila, extra available space. I went from 1.3 GB to 4 GB free.

• @Carlsson said:

Thanks a lot!

I guess for #2 I'll need more than the free 5GB of space in iCloud?

Not really, all your apps don't count towards the 5GB, just your user data for them. it doesn't back up music or movies either.

• If you are able to keep track of everything, you can save various things (presets, songs etc.) manually, using iFunbox and apps like GoodReader. I don't use iCloud because, for some reason, it fucks up music syncing in iOS 7.

• Sorry to sound like a newbie if I restore from my iPad from my mac after deleting back to factory setting will all my song files presets etc be back on my iPad eg my songs in cubasis my presets in animoog haven't done this before I've backed up to my computer as my iCloud is full of photos from my wife's phone and I'm I little worried I'll lose everything but the extra space would be very welcome. Thanks.

• I just went from 1.1GB to 4.5GB. I'll take it.

• I did this on ipad2 few months ago and it freed up space and seems to be a little faster also

• @jackhead said:

Sorry to sound like a newbie if I restore from my iPad from my mac after deleting back to factory setting will all my song files presets etc be back on my iPad eg my songs in cubasis my presets in animoog haven't done this before I've backed up to my computer as my iCloud is full of photos from my wife's phone and I'm I little worried I'll lose everything but the extra space would be very welcome. Thanks.

It should all restore fine as long as you make sure to Back Up, and not just Sync first.

• @Tarekith said:

@jackhead said:

Sorry to sound like a newbie if I restore from my iPad from my mac after deleting back to factory setting will all my song files presets etc be back on my iPad eg my songs in cubasis my presets in animoog haven't done this before I've backed up to my computer as my iCloud is full of photos from my wife's phone and I'm I little worried I'll lose everything but the extra space would be very welcome. Thanks.

It should all restore fine as long as you make sure to Back Up, and not just Sync first.

Thanks Mate, I'll give it a go today.

• edited September 2014

thank you guys for this tip. I just reclaimed 1.8 GB on my iPad2 back. It's really worth the effort (and the risk; I've never used iCloud, so I was a bit scared).

Everything is as it was before. The app icons are at their place, the settings are the same. Only the login for my networks have to be entered again (the same when you make a network reset on your iPad), so it's really manageable. It took several hours until all apps have downloaded again, I let this do its thing over night. I have a slow internet connection, so this will probably go faster at your place. Oh, I just see it is still restoring (after about 12 hours), or maybe it's hanging. I don't see much progress going on, could be that I'll have to delete and re-install a few apps manually.

Using a wired connection and iTunes or iFunbox will certainly be faster, but who knows, maybe some of those cached data won't go away. I chose the iCloud method to reclaim as much as possible, but I'm not sure if this is the best way.

Any more insight is welcomed. I've done this for the very first time.

PS: yep, the restore process was hanging. There are 4 apps which didn't restore entirely. I went to the AppStore, chose purchased apps, not on this iPad, and found 3 of them easily. Tapped on the circle, then on the cloud symbol, and finished the download this way. One app I had to search by typing its name, and of course found it and did the same. Now in about 10-15 Minutes the entire process should be finished.

• I did the same thing again with my iPad4. Made two backups, one to iCloud and one to my computer. Erased everything on the iPad. When trying to restore from backup, the first was 'incomplete', the second was 'corrupt'.

Now I have to setup the iPad from scratch. All synth presets that were not manually (iFunbox) transferred are gone ...

Well, just for information. I guess I had extremely bad luck. Stuff like this can go wrong.

It will take endless hours to restore what I had.

• The patch files do exist in the backup, you just need to extract them from the file. Last time I did this I seem to recall it was as easy as renaming the backup extension to .zip and then unzipping the file or something, but it's been a while since I had to do it.

• thanks for the tip, I'm going to try that out.

• I think it was the APK file format of the apps that can be renamed to .zip and extracted. There's ways of getting the APK files out of the backup too, I just don't remember how I did it last time.

• edited September 2014

@Coloobar, if you have some wav files in the Documents folder of, for example, Audioshare, it counts as necessary space of iCloud backup?

Thanks.