Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Riffer sync issues

2»

Comments

• @CracklePot said:

@rs2000 said:
    10 weeks after reporting and still no fix?

It seems to only happen on certain device models.
    The dev may need help tracking down the problem ,since it is really hard to replicate.
    For me, on an Air 2, I experience no drifting in this or Playbeat (that app apparently has the same issue for some users).

I was in contact with developer. They asked me a few weeks ago to send them an audio file of a 4x4 kick drum pattern recorded over a few minutes. So I recorded 4 min of a kick in AUM (44khz) and before sending I put the wav into Garageband to see for myself how much the kicks were off. Guess what? Perfect synced kicks for all 4 mins...

I previously had sent them a video of myself doing the same thing and you could hear the kicks were off sync after about 3 mins.

The app had been updated between my first test/video and the most recent test - so I’d assumed it was fixed but haven’t tested further.

• @CracklePot said:

@musikeer said:
    Also having the sync problem, Air 3, 48khz, using Cubasis 2. Using as a MIDI efx. The sync drifts after 2-3 bars.

Do you have loop on in the Cubasis transport?
    It is probably that if you do.
    The loop timing in Cubasis 2 has never synced correctly.

No, loop is not activated. And I’ve really never had a problem with Cubasis’ looping, Air2 or 3.

• It does sync well in NS2 btw.

• @musikeer said:

@CracklePot said:

@musikeer said:
    Also having the sync problem, Air 3, 48khz, using Cubasis 2. Using as a MIDI efx. The sync drifts after 2-3 bars.

Do you have loop on in the Cubasis transport?
    It is probably that if you do.
    The loop timing in Cubasis 2 has never synced correctly.

No, loop is not activated. And I’ve really never had a problem with Cubasis’ looping, Air2 or 3.

If possible, try it at 44.1kHz.
    It makes no difference for me though, either 44.1 or 48 sync in Cubasis 2.
    But timing could be tied into samplerate, depending on how the dev implements sync or clock resolution.

And also try a reboot of your iPad, if you haven’t tried that yet.

I haven’t heard of anyone having such an extreme sync issue with this app, so it may be a temporary glitch that reboot could fix.

• edited April 2020

Thanks for responding, but I’m not going down that 44.1 vs 48khz road again. I’ve transitioned to 48, after the nightmare of developers’ inconsistencies, creating scenarios of incorrect pitches with successive app updates, arbitrarily renaming apps so instrument assignments lose their links, etc. The dilemma that is Cubasis 3 offers proof that somewhere along the line, priorities, actual usage situations and basic troubleshooting have been, if not ignored, seemingly overlooked.

Reboots are also not always the magic bullet for this platform. It’s like whack-a-mole trying to keep a catalogue of music consistent, with these constant updates that sometimes break more than they fix. I love the iOS platform, but it’s just so tenuous. It brings to mind the famous trope “the cutting edge is the bleeding edge”.
    @AudioModern

• @musikeer said:
    Thanks for responding, but I’m not going down that 44.1 vs 48khz road again. I’ve transitioned to 48, after the nightmare of developers’ inconsistencies, creating scenarios of incorrect pitches with successive app updates, arbitrarily renaming apps so instrument assignments lose their links, etc. The dilemma that is Cubasis 3 offers proof that somewhere along the line, priorities, actual usage situations and basic troubleshooting have been, if not ignored, seemingly overlooked.

Reboots are also not always the magic bullet for this platform. It’s like whack-a-mole trying to keep a catalogue of music consistent, with these constant updates that sometimes break more than they fix. I love the iOS platform, but it’s just so tenuous. It brings to mind the famous trope “the cutting edge is the bleeding edge”.

Well, good luck.
    I hope you get it sorted.

• edited April 2020

Can confirm the drift, but for me, it only occurs in AUM.
    I only tested AUM, Audiobus 3, and apeMatrix, at both 44.1kHz and 48kHz at 256 samples latency, on a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 running iPadOS 13.4.1.

In AUM at 44.1kHz and 48kHz, Riffer and Playbeat start to drift after 8 bars. It's much worse at 44.1kHz, where it's very noticeable after 32 bars.

In Audiobus 3, Riffer and Playbeat don't seem to drift after 64 bars. At either 44.1kHz and 48kHz.
    In apeMatrix, Riffer and Playbeat don't seem to drift after 64 bars. At either 44.1kHz and 48kHz.

Below is a Dropbox link with AUM, AB3, and aM test presets.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7n6nrhd0tipxpv/AABVwTfVeT1DkpqxBYXGVWoDa?dl=0

• edited September 2020

What’s the deal with the drift fix? Riffer has great potential.. need a fix..

• Yes. I am getting Riffer sync issues running the AU in AUM. Really sucks as it is making me not use it even though I love what it can do. Had kinda of forgotten about it. Will contact the dev.

• @gusgranite said:
    Yes. I am getting Riffer sync issues running the AU in AUM. Really sucks as it is making me not use it even though I love what it can do. Had kinda of forgotten about it. Will contact the dev.

it's a stunning kit... when you dig deep... The Drift issues fix would be most welcomed... How about an Arp mode for this beauty?

• Any users here finding the update has fixed your sync issues?

• I still get drift in AUM using 44.1 but 48 seems to be working.

• @kc2dpt said:
    I still get drift in AUM using 44.1 but 48 seems to be working.

Good to know

• Hello people,
    Timing issues for Riffer have been fixed. Kindly update to the latest 3.1.3 version. <3

• @Audiomodern said:
    Hello people,
    Timing issues for Riffer have been fixed. Kindly update to the latest 3.1.3 version. <3

I have this much <——————————————— <3 ————————————————->
    love for you right now

• @Audiomodern said:
    Timing issues for Riffer have been fixed. Kindly update to the latest 3.1.3 version.

Thanks!

• @Audiomodern
    POSSIBLE BUG
    I can’t change the note duration. The drop down doesn’t show. AUM 10.5 OS 15.1

• edited December 2021

@audiblevideo said:
    @Audiomodern
    POSSIBLE BUG

Same here, but if I tap the invisible drop down, it changes the step size.
    It’s like the list is there, but invisible.
    Probably behind the other UI elements or something, like the wrong layer order.

Standalone version seems ok.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Audiomodern
    POSSIBLE BUG

Apologies for this. Please update to 3.1.4 once it is available :)

• Version 3.1.4 is out now.

• Jammed on my drums for a couple hours in AUM with Skaka + Riffer (driving Electric + BASSalicious)..
    Timing seemed tight (between the apps).. 200+ bars at a time.. I believe my own timing may have been somewhat questionable.. 🤣
    Big thank you for the fix @Audiomodern 👍 ❤️ 😁

• Tested simple AUM setup with Riffer sending a 4x4 beat to a HH kick. Let it run for a couple mins and turned on AUM metronome - after 4+ mins I couldn’t hear any drift. Previous to update it was noticeable after about 2-3 mins. On iphone6s 48khz