Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Boss Led Diode Distortion by Nembrini Audio

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1507779282

Description:

The Boss Led Diode Distortion is the perfect recreation of an iconic late 80s British guitar effect pedal, the first “amp in a box” pedal that replicates the tone and distortion character of famous black and gold British guitar amps.

This little pedal, that was used by Gary Moore on Still Got The Blues, Kevin Shields, Josh Klinghoffer and many more, recreates the sound of a classic British stack cranked up with a simple solid state circuit that Nembrini Audio emulates in every nuances.

Nembrini Audio perfectly recreates the two led diode distortion circuit and the amp style passive three tone controls of the original unit and adds the versatility that only the digital world permits.

Works as a standalone app, AudioUnit v3 effect, or Inter-App Audio effect

Comments

• I always buy Nembrini everything :)
    Had the real pedal for a while, it was great, looking forward to trying the sim

• Gary Moore + Guv’nor + Marshall? Instabuy..
    I see desktop has a pedal + rack version of this.. I wonder if we'll get the same on iOS?

• From Guitar World on Gary Moore's tone on "Still Got The Blues":

"While Moore plugged into various Marshall amps throughout his career, for this album he adopted a new rig consisting of a prototype of Marshall’s forthcoming reissue of the classic mid-'60s JTM45 head.

To achieve the high-gain overdrive and sustain he desired, Moore relied upon Marshall’s newly introduced The Guv’nor distortion pedal, which was the company’s stomp box interpretation of a JCM800 amp.

The JTM45 was dialed to a clean setting, and the Guv’nor pedal was the sole source of the tone’s distortion. By boosting the midrange with the pedal’s EQ as well as at the amp and playing mostly through the Les Paul’s neck pickup, Moore achieved a gloriously thick, singing tone reminiscent of Clapton’s Cream-era 'woman tone.' "

• @SNystrom Ha! I was just about to post that article.. some good info so I'll post the whole thing in the spoiler in case anyone else wants to read it..

The secrets behind Gary Moore's tone on Still Got the Blues
    https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/the-secrets-behind-gary-moores-tone-on-still-got-the-blues

As the '80s drew near its close, Gary Moore had grown tired of playing hard rock/metal and decided to recharge his creative batteries by exploring the blues.

It was a bold but wise move, as the resulting album, Still Got the Blues, became his biggest commercial success and inspired him to spend most of the rest of his career playing the blues until he died at age 58 in 2011.

Moore’s biggest inspirations while making the album were the '60s blues-rock recordings by Eric Clapton with the Bluesbreakers and Peter Green with the Bluesbreakers and early Fleetwood Mac.

Like his British blues influences, Moore used a classic Fifties Gibson Les Paul Standard/Marshall JTM rig, but he opted for a more modern, high-gain tone to avoid completely alienating his faithful hard rock fans, particularly on the album’s title song.

While Moore plugged into various Marshall amps throughout his career, for this album he adopted a new rig consisting of a prototype of Marshall’s forthcoming reissue of the classic mid-'60s JTM45 head.

To achieve the high-gain overdrive and sustain he desired, Moore relied upon Marshall’s newly introduced The Guv’nor distortion pedal, which was the company’s stomp box interpretation of a JCM800 amp.

The JTM45 was dialed to a clean setting, and the Guv’nor pedal was the sole source of the tone’s distortion. By boosting the midrange with the pedal’s EQ as well as at the amp and playing mostly through the Les Paul’s neck pickup, Moore achieved a gloriously thick, singing tone reminiscent of Clapton’s Cream-era 'woman tone.'

Moore contrasted the fat, sustaining tones of the main melodic line and solos with a very clean tone on the rhythm parts highlighted by a subtle chorus effect. Moore never divulged what he used for the chorus effect on this song, but during the Eighties his rig included various Boss and Ibanez chorus pedals as well as rack-mounted units like an Alesis MidiVerb II and Roland SDD-320 Dimension D.

Judging by the subtlety of the chorus effect, the lush stereo spread and no perceivable pitch modulation, it’s most likely that he used the Dimension D on the studio recording.
    Get the sound, cheap!

● Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro
    ● Marshall Origin 20C
    ● MXR Super Badass Distortion
    ● Boss DC-2W Waza Craft Dimension C

TONE TIP: Dial in a clean tone on the Marshall that sounds rich and full with the chorus effect. Engage the Super Badass as a 'distortion channel' for the main melodic line and solos with the midrange cranked up.
    Original gear

GUITAR: 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard (neck pickup for most of the song, except when he switches to the bridge pickup during part of the solos), Neck Volume: 10 during solos, 5 during rhythm part, Neck Tone: 6, Bridge Volume: 10, Bridge Tone: 10.

AMP: 1989 prototype Marshall Model 2245 JTM45 reissue head (Presence: 5, Bass: 3, Middle: 9, Treble: 7, High Treble Loudness: 6, High Treble Input 1) with Marshall 1960B 4x12 speaker cabinet with Electro-Voice EVM12L 12-inch speakers

EFFECTS: Marshall The Guv’nor distortion (Gain: 7, Bass: 7, Middle: 10, Treble: 8.5, Level: 6), Roland SDD-320 Dimension D (Dimension Mode: 4)

STRINGS/TUNING: Dean Markley .010-.052/Standard

PICK: Gibson Extra Heavy

By Damian Fanelli March 31, 2020

• 👍🏻

Love me some Gary Moore!!!!

• Of course the "secret" to Gary's tone was more than just the amp and pedal. Peter Green's 50's Les Paul had some serious magic in it:

https://www.thaliacapos.com/blogs/blog/one-legendary-guitar-three-legendary-owners-the-greeny-moore-les-paul

• @SNystrom said:
    Of course the "secret" to Gary's tone was more than just the amp and pedal. Peter Green's 50's Les Paul had some serious magic in it:

https://www.thaliacapos.com/blogs/blog/one-legendary-guitar-three-legendary-owners-the-greeny-moore-les-paul

Let’s not forget his fingers driven by his brain,heart and soul,

• @SNystrom said:
    Of course the "secret" to Gary's tone was more than just the amp and pedal. Peter Green's 50's Les Paul had some serious magic in it:

But Gary Moore's hands are essential really. Gary could play using the stuff I own and I wouldn't hear the difference... but he would and that's important too. A player needs to own there own signature and gear does matter. But coveting gear to "be" someone else just won't get it done. It's wise to spend the most time focusing on your hands. Make what's in them sound great but buy new stuff to motivate the journey and increase your speed down the road.

$2 on an IOS app will buy me a lot of "GAS". IOS has helped me stop thinking hardware was my deficit.
    It's my brain and my hands. Working on both now.

• @SNystrom said:

and of course his fingers! B)

• @McD said:
    But Gary Moore's hands are essential really. Gary could play using the stuff I own and I wouldn't hear the difference... but he would and that's important too. A player needs to own there own signature and gear does matter. But coveting gear to "be" someone else just won't get it done. It's wise to spend the most time focusing on your hands. Make what's in them sound great but buy new stuff to motivate the journey and increase your speed down the road.

$2 on an IOS app will buy me a lot of "GAS". IOS has helped me stop thinking hardware was my deficit.

Beautifully said McD

• Well yeah, as a guitarist, I realize that 90% of "tone" comes from the fingers, but any of us mortals aren't getting within a million miles of Gary if you're playing a crappy Korean broken-down nylon-string guitar.

I have one you can try if any of you guys are up for a challenge!

The point of my posts was simply to share historically why this pedal became so famous. Why there is also magic in the "little people" who gave great guitarist the tools to have their singularly incredible voices heard.

My apologies if I have offended any of the incredible Audiobus Forum "hall of farmers."

• @NemanzgbKaj said:

@McD said:

Beautifully said McD

Not sure that “hands” are totally behind great playing.

• Or even the ability to see the guitar in the first place!

• @SNystrom said:
    Well yeah, as a guitarist, I realize that 90% of "tone" comes from the fingers, but any of us mortals aren't getting within a million miles of Gary if you're playing a crappy Korean broken-down nylon-string guitar.

I have one you can try if any of you guys are up for a challenge!

The point of my posts was simply to share historically why this pedal became so famous. Why there is also magic in the "little people" who gave great guitarist the tools to have their singularly incredible voices heard.

My apologies if I have offended any of the incredible Audiobus Forum "hall of farmers."

I'm very glad you did post this. I listened to a lot of Gary Moore back in the 80s and lusted for his sound. Not sure if I knew back then he used the gov'nor but I do remember wanting one. I also love the story of the guitar, I didn't know he and peter were friends. I think he switched to a heritage les Paul later on?

• @flo26 said:

@SNystrom said:

Let’s not forget his fingers driven by his brain,heart and soul,

True true! Have you tried it yet Flo?

• That's the late, great blues guitarist Jeff Healey. If you've never checked him out, he's pretty awesome! I highly recommend the album "See The Light"

So sad this thread about a great new musical app was waylaid by issues that have little to do with the quality of said app...

• @SNystrom said:
    Well yeah, as a guitarist, I realize that 90% of "tone" comes from the fingers, but any of us mortals aren't getting within a million miles of Gary if you're playing a crappy Korean broken-down nylon-string guitar.

See... we agree. I just feel sorry for people that continue to blame a lack of equipment access when you can get playable instruments and sound processing cheaper than ever before.

Hopefully, people just take that message and keep playing to acquire skills before hardware.

Since my last post I played/practiced for an hour so this has ben good for me. These are just thoughts and not intended to dispute your thoughts. We all have our own ideas and there's no right and wrong really... just opinions.

I do like the idea of a "Hall of Farmers".

• @McD said:

@SNystrom said:

See... we agree. I just feel sorry for people that continue to blame a lack of equipment access when you can get playable instruments and sound processing cheaper than ever before.

Hopefully, people just take that message and keep playing to acquire skills before hardware.

Since my last post I played/practiced for an hour so this has ben good for me. These are just thoughts and not intended to dispute your thoughts. We all have our own ideas and there's no right and wrong really... just opinions.

I do like the idea of a "Hall of Farmers".

I like the experience of playing guitar and bass. It is different than jamming with apps, or even playing touchscreen apps. It is different from trying to create full pieces of music. It is a very unique, zen-like experience you can have when playing a real instrument.

But I still don’t think it is totally necessary any more. It seems like self expression in music can come about in many ways. Most popular music today is produced on computers or machines, so trying to put in some rock, blues, or jazz types of expressive playing sounds kinda corny in this context. You get more out of DJ style effect jamming on current tunes. It may come off as lame and robotic to some people, but it seems most people like it.

Again, I love playing instruments. But your arguments come off as similar to the older arguments that stuff like tube amps, or even the Guv’nor pedal could never be matched by a cheap-ass digital simulation. Yet here we are, the sims are taking over.

• Yeah, we're not famous — we just all share our experiences in order to help everyone "grow" as musicians! 🤗

As a teen in the '70's, I had to beg to my parents for years to finally get a cheap Global Les Paul copy guitar (Global looked like Gibson on the headstock) and a Montgomery Wards 10-watt practice amp made by a company called Marlboro Soundworks. The guitar was impossible to keep in tune and the amp had zero tubes — and zero tone.

I didn't let that hold me back, even though I was nowhere close to sounding like my guitar gods Ace Frehley, Pat Travers, and Jimmy Page.

I carried-on, but there were dozens of guitar loving friends who simply gave up.

Today, you can find a quality guitar and iOS apps at a much more reasonable price.

I don't honestly think kids have the patience to acquire the playing skills without the crunchy amp reward.

The tones we can easily obtain today will allow kids like my friends who gave-up years ago to be inspired and truly put in the work necessary to keep playing and find their own musical voice.

• Back then, I finally went to a guitar store and found this:

And then I added this:

And suddenly my tone improved massively!

So, sometimes equipment can improve an otherwise bad lot and inspire a guitarist to keep playing...

The point is simple. Great sound can inspire great practice habits.

• In the meantime (getting back on topic!) I had a go with "The Boss," and was most impressed!

Wish I could have had a Gov'nor back in the day!

• Just had a super fun + inspiring Open G tuned Keef session using a clean setting in the MRH810 + Overdrive 02 preset in this pedal.. turned down my Tele’s volume a tad and.. lovely stuff.. crunchy + definition.. add some slap from the Delay3000.. and the hours just fade away.. Nembrini.. you are spoiling us.. thank you.. ❤️ my new iOS guitar rig..

• Thanks guys, your kind words are very appreciated! 💚🤍❤️

• @And_Nembrini said:
    Thanks guys, your kind words are very appreciated! 💚🤍❤️

Bought it. Clap. It sounds sooooo goood. Bravissimi ragazzi continuate cosí.

• Jeff Healey, what a player, saw him live in London.

He was jumping off chairs and everything while playing like a champ.

I’m buying the app, obviously. Like, now.

• Cool use of The Boss by Touchscaper Dev.

• Just an aside: Isn’t it a bit weird to have "Boss" as the name of your distortion pedal, seeing as Boss are so prolific in the guitar pedal space? I can’t be the only one who was confused by the name at first...

It’s like calling an Oberheim emulation "The Moog" :tongue:

(Personally, I would have gone with "The Duke" or something similar)

• They should have called it "Il Capo" 🙃😉

@Charlesalbert @NembriniAudio

• You're right @busker thought the same thing myself!

Could have called it "The President," but I'm guessing that would have been a lil too controversial in these times.

(Don't forget to get your COVID-19 disinfectant injections while they last, boy and girls!)

• "The Virus"