Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Kauldron vs Magellan 2

Hi all, interesting discussion point..

How would you compare Kauldron with Magellan 2? I have Kauldron and it looks like it’s in the same ballpark as Magellan 2. Analogue, Moogy, with the same functionality and features. I like the look of Magellan 2 but not sure if I need it.

Thanks.

Comments

• I have been using M2 lately and really am liking it. I forget... Kauldron is Auv3 as well, I think.

• I made a little comparison chart Kauldron vs Magellan 2 because of this topic (just for fun). Discovered one or two new things inside Magellan 2 that way which I have not spotted before. :smile:

I think feature wise M2 is miles ahead of Kauldron. More filters (and really really good ones), more FX, more everything. :smiley:

But I like the simplicity of Kauldrons UI which results in a very fast workflow. No scrolling, mostly everything visible. And two X/Y Pads plus the gorgeous Tunnel algorithm from the reverb.

Magellan 2 has some crazy modulation capabilities (incl. MPE). I really dig the "EZVelocity" section. It's so easy and fast getting expressive sounds that way.

I think they are both worth it.

• Magellan 2 doesn't have the 'Yonac Sound' that is oh so present in Kauldron and their previous apps. It's a different beast :)
    In fact it's the only Yonac app I have left on my iPad Air 2 and even installed it on my iPhone 8, yes it's universal...

• @Samu said:
    Magellan 2 doesn't have the 'Yonac Sound' that is oh so present in Kauldron and their previous apps. It's a different beast :)
    In fact it's the only Yonac app I have left on my iPad Air 2 and even installed it on my iPhone 8, yes it's universal...

Which one? Kauldron is the one you have left?

• @WTK said:
    I made a little comparison chart Kauldron vs Magellan 2 because of this topic (just for fun). Discovered one or two new things inside Magellan 2 that way which I have not spotted before. :smile:

I think feature wise M2 is miles ahead of Kauldron. More filters (and really really good ones), more FX, more everything. :smiley:

But I like the simplicity of Kauldrons UI which results in a very fast workflow. No scrolling, mostly everything visible. And two X/Y Pads plus the gorgeous Tunnel algorithm from the reverb.

Magellan 2 has some crazy modulation capabilities (incl. MPE). I really dig the "EZVelocity" section. It's so easy and fast getting expressive sounds that way.

I think they are both worth it.

This is amazing!!! Wow M2 really is superior in terms of features, but interesting that the other poster here recognised a big sound difference. Do you?

• @WTK
    Thanks for the chart, super useful.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I have been using M2 lately and really am liking it. I forget... Kauldron is Auv3 as well, I think.

Wait, hold everything - Magellon 2 is NOT AUv3 compatible?

• @WTK pretty much covered it, M2 also also has a few preset IAP’s. Another thing that kinda drives me crazy with Kauldron and Kasper, is when using them with Daws I ALWAYS have to go into preferences and turn off the hardware midi in if I don’t want to hear them when I’m playing other midi instruments within a project. You don’t have to jump thru that hoop in M2.

• @jameslondon74 said:

@Samu said:
    Magellan 2 doesn't have the 'Yonac Sound' that is oh so present in Kauldron and their previous apps. It's a different beast :)

Which one? Kauldron is the one you have left?

Magellan 2 is the only Yonac app I have installed on both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 8.

• Kauldron feels a bit more like a classic analog synth. I like it a lot soundwise. But if you already have, for example, Moog Model D, you might not need it.

Another one of my dozens of synth apps which are very good but ultimately not needed. I still buy them all, wtf. 😬

• @WTK Many thanks for this chart!

Also worth as part of the Wiki, IMHO.

• Is there any need for Magellan, after both Kauldron and Magellan 2?

• @jameslondon74 said:

@LinearLineman said:
    I have been using M2 lately and really am liking it. I forget... Kauldron is Auv3 as well, I think.

Wait, hold everything - Magellon 2 is NOT AUv3 compatible?

Both are AUv3 compatible.

• I love Kauldron, certainly feels like a good alternative to Micrologue (the built in synth in Cubasis).
    Also love how simple it is, as some people have said here. Maybe I'll treat myself to Magellon 2, not that I need it. I have about ten other synths I don't even use!

• @tja said:
    Is there any need for Magellan, after both Kauldron and Magellan 2?

The only features Magellan has over Magellan 2 is that it can layer 2 patches in the app and the effects can be used as AudioBus effects. (This is something I hope Magellan 2 would get. ie use the effects as AUv3 effects).

Magellan 2 is a different beast sound wise. I can't put the finger on it but it doesn't have the 'Yonac Sound' that in my ears plagued Kauldron and Kaspar and the older Magellan...(I never liked the sound of those apps while Magellan 2 sounds 'better').

• Many thanks, @Samu !

• I have way too many analogue synths, and so there are a few that I just never really gave a fair shake for whatever reason. Kauldon/Kaspar are in that category. Zeeon came out around the same. So I'm not really sure what they offer that I can't already get in Zeeon, or Model D. I probably should sit down some time and just play with all of them.

Magellan I like a lot as it's very featured, super flexible and it sounds good. However, I'd also been using it's predecessor for many years. Not sure if I'd feel the same way if I was coming to it cold.

• I really like M2, it's great and it gets better. It beats Kauldron in every aspect, or almost every aspect.
    Kauldron is okay, but I feel is not as feature-rich or powerful as M2.

• I just want to mention that the Oscillators are apparently the same on both synths. I can null at least the saw, triangle, sine and the pulse wave (at 50/51) of both synths when I invert the phase from one of them. Only the shark sounds different.

• The first Magellan, I feel was a classic. The second improves on the sound and more. I really enjoy it and have made some nice drones with it, great for ambient AUM sessions.

• M2 is a beast but it needs to make its MPE actually MPE. How someone can call a synth MPE and have 1 channel for the modwheel , I'll never know

• @sclurbs said:
    M2 is a beast but it needs to make its MPE actually MPE. How someone can call a synth MPE and have 1 channel for the modwheel , I'll never know

Please can you explain the issue why it is not real MPE? Just interested because I don't have a MPE keyboard. You can assign CC74 as a controller to every mod source like lfos etc. Just curious what's missing.

• @WTK said:
    I just want to mention that the Oscillators are apparently the same on both synths. I can null at least the saw, triangle, sine and the pulse wave (at 50/51) of both synths when I invert the phase from one of them. Only the shark sounds different.

That's interesting.
    I like such tests and comparisons.

Which host did you use to invert the phase?

• WTKWTK
    edited April 2020

@tja said:

@WTK said:
    I just want to mention that the Oscillators are apparently the same on both synths. I can null at least the saw, triangle, sine and the pulse wave (at 50/51) of both synths when I invert the phase from one of them. Only the shark sounds different.

That's interesting.
    I like such tests and comparisons.

Which host did you use to invert the phase?

AUM. It comes with a phase invert plug in. Actually that was pretty straight forward because it was pretty easy to setup and both synths could be played simultaneously from the on screen keyboard. :smile: Had to enable phasesync on M2 though.

Btw I think that the Victor LP sounds pretty close to Kauldrons (tested it on both synths with fully closed filter, max resonance, keytrack max, env amt at max and dec/sust/rel at max using envelope curve 3 iirc). I think that M2 comes with slightly different env timings. Sounded nearly identical to me but with slightly longer release time and therefore the resonance sounded a tiny bit different.

• Kauldron has an awful problem where the AUv3 host cannot determine the receiving MIDI channels. This is only if the MIDI is coming from an external source like MIDI keyboard. It’s really annoying as if you plug in an external keyboard it will start receiving on all channels.

You can fix this by sending your external MIDI to something internal and the issue doesn’t happen. I just send it to a MIDIFire port and connect the MIDIFire port to AUM and Kauldron. I’ve emailed Yonac about this and I don’t think they really care. The issue has been occurring for years at this point.

I’ve never used Magellan, but I do like the sound of Kauldron.

• @Samu said:

At the risk of being called a "zombie thread resurrectionist", do you know of any desktop synths comparable to Yonac's Kauldron in terms of being able to achieve the same sounds due to matching features (oscillators, filters, VCA, etc.)? Since Yonac still has no desktop versions of their apps, I'm grasping at straws trying to match sounds I created on my iPad now on desktop... and I can't wait for them to bring their synths to desktop.

• @NeuM said:
    At the risk of being called a "zombie thread resurrectionist"

I do love these synths so you get a pass for encouraging people to try them.
    I think I got them both on a Yonac 75% off sale on a Black Friday.

I will take this opportunity to request Yonac's "Steel Guitar" get an update with a "MIDI in"
    IAP. It has a great sound but only responds to the screen for input requests. So sad...

It's right up there with Auria Pro holding the Lyra Sampler hostage. Super extra sad.

• I’m having a go at presets for Kauldron at the moment. At some point I’ll dabble with Magellan 2, so can’t really comment on it yet.
    But I know what @Samu means by “that Yonac sound” as I’ve worked a lot with Kaspar and been very thankful for its onboard EQ to tame the sound better. I think I needed the EQ in the fx slot for almost every single preset I’ve made for it, especially to scoop out harsh and resonant mid-ranges that suddenly occured over certain ranges of the keyboard when testing the presets.
    I’m finding so far that I’m wishing for a similar onboard EQ with Kauldron as well to smooth out and control certain frequencies to get better proportioned performance over the keyboard range.
    There’s a few synths on iOS (not many) that somehow, in their natural state, manage to just sound so smooth and clean and controlled over the complete keyboard range no matter what your OSC waveform, Filter and Res settings are on. Sunrizer and LayR immediately spring to mind. I think that must be quite technically difficult to achieve, coding-wise.

• @McD said:

@NeuM said:
    At the risk of being called a "zombie thread resurrectionist"

I do love these synths so you get a pass for encouraging people to try them.
    I think I got them both on a Yonac 75% off sale on a Black Friday.

I will take this opportunity to request Yonac's "Steel Guitar" get an update with a "MIDI in"
    IAP. It has a great sound but only responds to the screen for input requests. So sad...

It's right up there with Auria Pro holding the Lyra Sampler hostage. Super extra sad.

Right there with you on Steel Guitar. One of my all-time favorite music apps and I’m in constant fear it will be abandoned by Yonac at some point.