Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

//OT// Why I dig Industrial Music

Since discovering Skinny Puppy / Ministry / NIN etc in the early 90s, I’ve always been galvanized to the genre. My first industrial show was KMFDM / Chemlab / Sister Machine Gun during the same time period.

Funny story, my friend who was a huge KMFDM fan almost got us killed during that show. During their song “Light” he was enjoying himself too much and threw his empty Coke bottle on stage. I can still picture [in slow motion] the bottle ricochet off the drum kit and hit the Sascha [mainstay of the band] square in the ribs. Song was cut in the middle and Sascha killed the set while everyone looked for the person behind the incident. We somehow made it away unscathed.

Nostalgia definitely plays a part, however, the sounds and textures have always intrigued me. The experimentation of industrial has inspired many of our favorite bands and will continue to do so. Countless sub-genres have spawned from industrial since Throbbing Gristle coined the term. Industrial music has made its way into the mainstream but mostly through movies, tv & video game scores. We also can’t forget how Trent Reznor is the poster boy for industrial and how he put it on the map.

All in all, industrial is here to stay and will continue to evolve. Hiding in the underground while being the soundtrack to our escape.

Comments

• edited April 2020

That KMFDM/Chemlab/SMG tour was AMAZING! My friend and I hung with Jared from Chemlab for a few during/between a set he was just enjoying. 3 of my favorite bands at the time - of course Chris Randall, who I always enjoyed, makes popular PC/iOS plugins now :smile: Also, somewhere in a box I have a broken key from a keyboard Trent Reznor smashed during a concert. Never met Sascha, despite him living in Seattle for awhile. My friend (same one) and I did meet Ohgr back in the day and hung out for 20 min or whatever in a greasy diner in the middle of the night.

My tastes were drifting stranger, and I'd heard some stuff I had no idea what to call on a radio show, and I was listening to The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees, Depeche Mode, Oingo Boingo, The The, and more (7th grade), but hearing the 12" of Testure the first time between 7th and 8th grade changed my life. Not sure what my first "industrial" concert was. KMFDM? SP Last Rights? Christ Analogue?

Big SP and FLA fan here. Really liked NIN, but... never quite as much overall. Haven't really wanted to re-listen to anything after The Fragile, despite liking some of the more recent tracks, of course.

Being older, I'm more into melody now, less noise (love me some future pop, like VNV, Covenant, etc.). But those two things can go together, too. Who ever would've thought Reznor would be scoring movies? It's not completely insane, given that I never thought Elfman would, either. Or Mothersbaugh.

One of my absolute favorite current industrial bands if forced to pick one: Encephalon. Dead When I Found Her is way up there, too, of course!

To this day, this takes me to another world. I'd never heard ANYTHING like it before... I didn't know music could DO this. It was, shall we say, a downward spiral from there....

• Two words: Einstürzende Neubauten

• Young Gods

• Throbbing Gristle are for me the high priests of industrial music. Their releases were a central to my musical coming of age. I remember listening to Discipline (Manchester) and feeling that I had just heard a group of people define the outer limit of what music could be – it turned out I was wrong about that limit, but that took several decades for me to discover. That recording of Discipline still remains one of my favourite tracks ever.

• edited April 2020

I spent most of my formative years on Metropolis Records. Have a massive soft spot for pretty much everything there (circa 2005 at least, not sure what it looks like now) - NIN of course, The Fragile is in my top five for desert island albums. Got to see them once in Jersey, it was amazing. Haven't really been to too many concerts overall but glad I got to see them (I think it was a leg of the Live: With Teeth tour).

Prior to getting on IDM/glitchy/alternative stuff, I wrote mostly industrial themed stuff. Sometimes I think about revisiting it, but I have yet to commit to it really. Maybe one of these days, never say never right?

It's a great genre because you get the best of so many worlds, you've got the rock, the electronics, so much texture, can be so much experimentation.

Edit; also, had NO IDEA Chris Randall of Audio Damage is Chris Randall of Sister Machine Gun. That's fucking awesome. Also, my very first introduction to industrial music was the Mortal Kombat 1 soundtrack. No regrets.

• OK so long story..... try to make short. I in 1990 got a gig as a part time bouncer at a local club. I was a repo man at the time so they thought I was tough... LOL. Anyway the club was your basic pop-hip hop deal. At that time I was ok with that music, but I was also into Metal. Anyway 2 weeks in the club changed ownership and went to the Industrial/EBM/Rave type. First song I hear is Front 242 Headhunter and the rest is history!!!! That changed my music tastes drastically!! Anyway I got more and more involved and they needed another DJ.. I had some skills, but at that time you just really did not need much to mix into a different song.... So I immediately bought every Wax Trax Album-Tape I could find and the rest is history.

We Started to want to get live bands in besides our local ones and the first big one we get was KMFDM.... OMG. So I got to help Sascha,En and the older members unload and set up..... what a freaking night!!!! They opened up with GodLike then Virus... I thought I was going to lose my mind!! Anyway we went on to get other great bands and for the next 3 years it was like heaven.

Side note... Ministry wanted to come but we could not accommodate them... we had too much Glass in our Club!!! LOL.
    Anyway I went on to do the first ever rave in Iowa maybe back in 91-92.. we had three DJ’s. I started my set with Just one Fix.. Ministry, Skinny Puppy KMFDM etc..... it was great!!!!!

So now a days I am all in to Electronic Music... I am more into Techno now, but thanks to @iOSTRAKON im going back to my roots
    Puppy
    FLA
    CLocDVA
    KMFDM
    So many more....

Great thread!!!!!!

• Oh those WaxTrax days! I was at college in Chicago late 80'searly 90's and used to frequent Medussa's and the Metro.
    Loved Throbbing Gristle RIP Genesis:(
    Big Black
    KMFDM
    My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
    Ministry
    FLA
    Front 242
    There was also an artist collective out of San Francisco that was closely tied to the scene called Survival Research Laboratories
    They had some wild shows

• Industrial has always been extremely creative. Even if I don’t like some of the music per se, I’ve always been fascinated with production aesthetic. Its sort of the missing link for a lot of modern genres.

One of my favorite industrial crossover acts is Orphx

• So another side note. Some chick was dancing like a mad woman to KMFDM naive... Ima like who da fuk is this gal. Well 29 years later we are still together!

• @Svetlovska said:
    Two words: Einstürzende Neubauten

Finally. The guys who took industrial literally.

I once got into a fistfight with FM Einheit at a festival 😎

• you guys are speaking my language here. ! I love this genre of music. I love the creativity ,the crungy textures, broken- amplifier , crackling ,heavy guitar tone. heavy drums, and macho like percussion and sample sequencing.
    So what are some of your favorite IOS industrial apps for making this kind of music. ?

• Big industrial fan too. Another Ex-Chicago native myself, so I was always hanging out at Wax Trax, Neo, Metro, etc. Skinny Puppy were the one group that stuck over time, actually anything with cEvin Key really. Aside from all the great bands mentioned already, I also really enjoyed Haujobb, Heavy Water Factory, Prick, and some of the older German industrial music from back then.

Eventually it was the sound of Haujobb's "Ninety Nine" and FLA's side project Delirium that really got me more into electronic music making. I like the more downtempo stuff, it was ahead of it's time and stands up even today in my DJ sets.

• edited April 2020

my introduction into this genre was actually the Mute records releases: The Normal, Fad Gadget and Depeche Mode. You may laugh, but their output in that time was rather new to the ear. The real introduction was Test Dept. Because this group was not only one of the first groups that used sound sampling in a perfect, musical way, but also conveyed a meaningful message. According to the zeitgeist of that time, but still relevant today. Which applies to the Mute records releases as well. Fad Gadget (Frank Tovey) was a strong influence in that time. Depeche Mode did some great work as well. The British scene.

The North American scene was, of course, as in New Wave, a strong influence with Al Jourgensen with The Ministry and The Revolting Cocks. Which leads to the Belgium scene. The Neon Judgement, à;Grumh..., Front 242. Polyphonic Size. And many more, like Aboriginal Voices and Nacht'raum from Switzerland. There are about 50 groups worth mentioning from all over the world. Italy, Spain, (former) Yugoslavia, Germany, etc. Maybe asian countries as well, from Japan or other places I'm not familiar with.

• edited April 2020

And a few others - Jim Thirlwell, aka Scraping Foetus off the wheel, Clint Ruin etc.. Remember a track of his where he used a sample of Stuka dive bombers where a guitar slide would have gone.Genius. Yes also Daniel Miller ( The Normal), head of Mute Records, did the original of Warm Leatherette, later covered by Grace Jones (always preferred his minimal, stripped down version). The Young Gods. SPK. Pretty much everyone already mentioned above. Suicide. Even Lou Reeds Metal Machine Music (1975!) and John Zorns’ massive ‘guitar feedback orchestra’ experiments. I covered one of those as a journo back in the day at London’s Royal Festival Hall, and the massed ranks of feedback guitars actually caused bits of plaster (big bits - fist sized lumps) to fall off the ceiling. My ears rang for days afterwards. Ah, great days! ;)

• Awesome to read everyone’s experiences within the industrial revolution. We won’t see anything like it again since there was more of a mystery with these underground acts.

I’ve ran across many new talented projects through the years (mostly looking for the next Skinny Puppy / FLA etc)

@vitocorleone123 - DWIFH is truly special, he keeps getting better

One my favorite bands Chrysalide absolutely destroyed one of his songs

I highly recommend all of their stuff

Some other personal favorites

Author & Punisher (one man doom industrial metal band) this guy built his rig

Cardinal Noire (For those looking for that Sp electro industrial sound done right)

• Die hard Industrial fan here, too! Entered with Deprecated Moose and moved on to From get 343 and From get Love Assembly. Could rarely understand lyrics so I'm just gonna let the autocorrect versions stand...

• 😂

@oddSTAR said:
    Die hard Industrial fan here, too! Entered with Deprecated Moose and moved on to From get 343 and From get Love Assembly. Could rarely understand lyrics so I'm just gonna let the autocorrect versions stand...

• @eross said:
    you guys are speaking my language here. ! I love this genre of music. I love the creativity ,the crungy textures, broken- amplifier , crackling ,heavy guitar tone. heavy drums, and macho like percussion and sample sequencing.
    So what are some of your favorite IOS industrial apps for making this kind of music. ?

I am using NS2 and love the industrial IAP’s, also use Korg im1, Poison-202, Cylops. Just Added Tal-u-no-lx
    I track all the midi in NS2 then export the stems to pro tools for Vocals and Mix. I recently got Auria Pro to try to do this all on iOS
    I do a mix of industrial/goth/metal/synth

• Well, if you dig all that stuff, you will probably like what I do.

Stoneburner

Ego Likeness

• edited April 2020

@Svetlovska said:
    John Zorns’ massive ‘guitar feedback orchestra’ experiments. I covered one of those as a journo back in the day at London’s Royal Festival Hall, and the massed ranks of feedback guitars actually caused bits of plaster (big bits - fist sized lumps) to fall off the ceiling. My ears rang for days afterwards. Ah, great days! ;)

Wasn't that Glenn Branca? A young Thurston Moore was an early member of one of his orchestras. Saw Glenn Branca at the Barbican in '99 maybe? It were good. Though Cecil Taylor was better a few weeks later :)

• @ralis said:
    Big Black

Steve Albini will literally kill you for lumping Big Black in with a bunch of industrial bands :)

• Any Nurse With Wound, or Coil fans?

• Yes and yes / actually put together a Coil Tribute compilation / free to download

https://tribulations1.bandcamp.com/album/how-to-destroy-coil

@cian said:
    Any Nurse With Wound, or Coil fans?

• edited April 2020

@cian said:

@Svetlovska said:
    John Zorns’ massive ‘guitar feedback orchestra’ experiments. I covered one of those as a journo back in the day at London’s Royal Festival Hall, and the massed ranks of feedback guitars actually caused bits of plaster (big bits - fist sized lumps) to fall off the ceiling. My ears rang for days afterwards. Ah, great days! ;)

Wasn't that Glenn Branca? A young Thurston Moore was an early member of one of his orchestras. Saw Glenn Branca at the Barbican in '99 maybe? It were good. Though Cecil Taylor was better a few weeks later :)

@cian : yep, you are right! I remember now that John Zorn had done another gig round about the same time where he’d riffed on spaghetti westerns with a massive guitar orchestra, but the two obviously got mixed up in my mind (hey, once you’ve seen one massive guitar orchestra...). Wow, nuff respect for remembering that, and that it was the Barbican in 99, not the Festival Hall (hey, I didn’t say I was a good journalist! :) ) .The bit about the plaster and my ears was right though!

Re Coil: I was at Sussex Uni when John Balance, now sadly deceased, quit his course there via the medium of a scatalogical performance art piece on the steps of the University chapel, to go full time with Coil, and then I met him again a few years later when I interviewed him for my magazine around about the time Coil did that brilliant cover of Tainted Love, one of the first and still most apt and moving AIDS charity records. Still love that record, and the video he did to go with it:

It was a weird and heavy time, a lot of people I knew on the gay scene at Sussex then were into ‘blood play’, razors and surgical spirit by the bedside, along with down and dark music. The music was great. The play, as it turned out, not so much, on account of this thing which wasn’t even called AIDS then. A lot of the people I knew from that time aren’t around any more. (John, who had a different name in his Sussex days, survived all that, only to die in a fall at the home he shared with Sleazy a few years later.)

They were such unique artists, and captured some of the authentic darkness of that strange and terrifying time.

• edited April 2020

And here’s the album John Zorn did. Not industrial, (weird) jazz, I guess?:

And yet more uneasy listening from the same period:

All very formative for me.

• My favorite bands
    Godflesh
    Cop shoot Cop

• edited April 2020

Godflesh opened for... Nitzer Ebb? Don't remember if I saw them once or twice. Not my thing, but that was loooong ago.

Nurse With Wound and Coil - I couldn't ever get into them, either.

I've always been more overall into "dance music". So, electro-industrial, EBM, futurepop. Not 100%, of course. Just a preference. Oddly, I've not MADE hardly any music strongly adhering to those genres, despite that being the impetus for starting to use a DOS tracker and samples all those many moons ago.

• Godflesh played LA last year at the beer and metal festival! It was great to see them