Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 Problems -- Anybody else?

Comments

• @klownshed Major breakthrough !!! Just installed PadOS beta 13.1 - and all issues i had are fixed !!! My bets are PadOS13 will fix also your issues ...

• @dendy said:
    @klownshed Major breakthrough !!! Just installed PadOS beta 13.1 - and all issues i had are fixed !!! My bets are PadOS13 will fix also your issues ...

Cool. I hope so!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2019

@StudioES said:

@dendy said:

@StudioES said:
    I'll throw this in and bow out:
    K7d too? How about testing the free and related ones using JUCE like DLYM, Beatformer, Klevg Svep?
    NS2 hangs while saving, BM3 slows down to a crawl with these apps. Only common denominator I've found is apps using JUCE. But I'm not dev so I leave now...

Could be related to this? ---
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20439/trouble-starting-several-au-instances/p3

oooo didn't read this before !! Yes, that is exactly it, at least for now it looks this way..

@dendy said:
    @klownshed Major breakthrough !!! Just installed PadOS beta 13.1 - and all issues i had are fixed !!! My bets are PadOS13 will fix also your issues ...

That's great news indeed. Any idea what changed?

Hey there, its a possibility that the RAM limit per AUv3 has been changed in the new ipados so that would allow more instances of AU apps to be used. Probably more gains seen for AU apps that use audio samples. There could be another advantages for ipad music too.... not that i know of them yet.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • First try with NS2 in iPadOS 13.1:

Mixed results.

There’s definitely a difference in how the auv3s behave in NS2. Before NS2 would completely lock up when saving, exporting, etc.

Now it just goes completely silent and fails to load all the auv3 editors, with the CPu hitting 100% on projects where it usually sits at around 55% or much less if you can finally get iSEM to reload. I’ve tried high and medium buffers and have the au database option scan thing to off (on causes more problems).

ISEM and Ruismaker noir seem to be problematical. I every project I’ve tried with an iSEM instance is silent and isem won’t load. Reloading works about 25% of the time.

The K7D being silent on launching a project bug seems to be fixed though. 😀

As for audio damage plugins, sometimes they work Ok but often they won’t load at all. You just get nothing where the UI should be and a silent project. You don’t even get the ‘reload’ button in the UI, just blankness.

All the AUM projects I’ve tried work ok.

But there’s enough to see that things are Very different. I will try and make a new project from scratch with NS2 soon and see how it progresses. Hopefully it will be much smoother.

But I refuse to give up on my auv3s!! 😂

• edited September 2019

that's a pity, i was hoping PadOS will solve your issues .. only thing where i can reproduce crash on PadOS is Grind which is really crappy unreliable plugin - i managed to crash it also in Cubasis ...

Wondering about iSEM which is i use very often and never had any issue, it's one of most stable and reliable plugins ever made...

• @dendy said:
    that's a pity, i was hoping PadOS will solve your issues .. only thing where i can reproduce crash on PadOS is Grind which is really crappy unreliable plugin - i managed to crash it also in Cubasis ...

Wondering about iSEM which is i use very often and never had any issue, it's one of most stable and reliable plugins ever made...

I Never had any iSEM issues before, but now it refuses to load first time every time I open a project.

I'll try with a fresh NS2 install without any old projects and see what happens if I get a chance.

• @dendy

ISEM isn’t working in AUM for me reliably either now. It crashes on loading the project.

I will try and reinstall iSEM later and see what happens

• edited September 2019

i managed to crash iSEM in AUM too.. but it was needed to add a bit more instances :) .. to be exact, i added 50 instances - with buffer 512 cpu load was 80% and after i put AUM on background audio dropped and all instances of SEM crashed ..

but hell this impressive.. 40 instances rock solid, cpu around 65-70... amazing.

• @dendy I’ve reinstalled iSEM and it seems to be fine now.

ISEM was crashing in all the hosts, but deleting and reinstalling seems to have fixed it. I can only guess something got corrupted during one of the crashes.

NanoStudio now loads fine but sometimes the autoloaded project is silent until closed and reloaded.

But so far things are much better in iPadOS 13.

• It's MIDI Auv3's that have an issue: you can't record their output to the timeline without a workaroud.

Copied the above from the Korg Gadget discussion. Where does NS2 stand with this?

• edited September 2019

yes it's workaround ... anyway VERY simple and intuitive, using it on daily basis... just put "MIDI Tools - Route" AUv3 plugin (by Victor Porof) as midi fx on track which you want to record - after plugin which output you want to record (not needed to change anythingh in plugin settings - just add it, that's all), then add in sequencer another track (again not needed to change any settings) and hit record

done. midi output of plugin from track 1 is recorded to track 2 - you can even record in loop, nanostudio will prevent to record duplicate notes...

don't think it can be implemented lot more easy even after it will be native NS function :-)

• Can confirm: the "MIDI Tools - Route" workaround is super easy, and the MIDI Tools plugin pack has other useful utilities too, so this is a relatively low priority fix IMO. Much rather have MIDI AUv3 automation, not filtering out channel info, etc. And of course audio tracks. :-)

• edited October 2019

Just a FYI update:

NS2 on iPadOS 13.1 on my iPad Air 2 is still pretty much broken and bordering on the unusable.

If I load more than one project without rebooting the iPad things go haywire very quickly. Things like the list of files in the Load project screen start taking forever. Exporting or archiving lock up after the first time (works perfectly once; every subsequent operation takes longer until NS2 eventually completely locks up) and also you get situations where NS2 lock up and still plays in the background after the app is force quit! (Kronecker played by a Rozeta sequencer wouldn't quit without a reboot!). CPU use isn't the issue (it's usually no more than about 50% in most of the projects).

I get these issues every single time I use NS2 on the iPad Air 2.

Even simple file operations cause problems; Loading Slate kits for example. I can't blame "Grind" for everything 😂

I'm not apportioning blame though, just reporting on my experiences. It could be any combination of issues.

Just as well NS2 is now universal; So far NS2 is working great on my iPhone 11 (including the same projects that cause my iPad Air 2 to have a meltdown).

• Just as well NS2 is now universal; So far NS2 is working great on my iPhone 11 (including the same projects that cause my iPad Air 2 to have a meltdown).

this is most mysterious thing for me...

• @dendy said:

Just as well NS2 is now universal; So far NS2 is working great on my iPhone 11 (including the same projects that cause my iPad Air 2 to have a meltdown).

I couldn’t even use the archive function to copy the projects across as the iPad locked up after archiving the first one.

• @klownshed said:

@dendy said:

I couldn’t even use the archive function to copy the projects across as the iPad locked up after archiving the first one.

New version of NS2 was acting really wonky for me on Air 1 12.4.2. I traced the problem to DAW Cassette. Once I removed that everything was fine. It was like flicking a switch. Plus new projects with DC seem to be working fine although I’m staying away from it for now. Maybe it’s a rogue AU?

• Same problem with Audiodamage Replicant 2: the whole NS2 project becomes unstable after a while when I use this plugin. Can't change patches on new Obsidian tracks (the spinning loading wheel spins forever), can't even save the track.
    Bummer, because Replicant 2 is so cool to use on drum tracks...

• Any new in audio tracks release date?
    then I may buy...
    IOSSOS

• godgod
    edited April 2020

I bought NS2 the day it became available for phones (I use iPhone 8+) and had issues here and then but mostly it's been pretty stable. The main issues I've had were:

1. High CPU usage, pops and crackles: sorted by setting buffer size to maximum.
    2. Returning to app loses connection to AUv3 plugins: sorted by reloading the project.

Most synths play mostly fine with NS2. Had no issues with Zeeon, Lagrange, Kronecker, Mononoke, Model D, Ruismaker FM/Noir, SynthScaper LE, SunVox and Magellen 2, among others. LayR too has a slight screen refresh glitch but it is very minor.
    Most midi and audio FX also play well.. Rozetta, StepPolyArp Unit, Dubstation 2, QuatroMod, Eos2, Rough Rider 3, PandStation 2, 4Pockets Shimmer/Sidechain/DigiStix/Atomizer, Mozaic, Riffer, Atom, Voice Synth, Perforator, Kosmonaut, Bit Maestro, apeFilter.

Some plugins, though, just don't play along with NS2 very well. Usually it's the plugin screen size that is getting messed up.
    These include Fugue Machine, GeoShred (pretty unusable. In Cubasis 3 as well) and Tonality. I'm using an iPhone 8+ so your milage may very.

@IOSSOS said:
    Any new in audio tracks release date?
    then I may buy...
    IOSSOS

The most anticipated feature in an iOS music making app ever :smiley:

• @silent1 said:
    Same problem with Audiodamage Replicant 2: the whole NS2 project becomes unstable after a while when I use this plugin. Can't change patches on new Obsidian tracks (the spinning loading wheel spins forever), can't even save the track.

That's strange because I have more than 10 NS2 projects that have been using Replicant 2 without ever running into any issues. What iPad are you running out of curiosity?

• @god said:
    I bought NS2 the day it became available for phones (I use iPhone 8+) and had issues here and then but mostly it's been pretty stable. The main issues I've had were:

2. Returning to app loses connection to AUv3 plugins: sorted by reloading the project.

Hey, if you have time, (and unless you have already and I’ve missed it) could you open up a bug report on the Nanostudio forum for no.2? https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/categories/bug-reports

As for no. 1, have you tried the same plugins hosted in another app with approximately the same routings? Is the CPU usage significantly better?

Also, if we’ve gone over this already, I’m sorry, my brain is swiss cheese because of self-isolation with a school kid.

• @richardyot said:

@silent1 said:
    Same problem with Audiodamage Replicant 2: the whole NS2 project becomes unstable after a while when I use this plugin. Can't change patches on new Obsidian tracks (the spinning loading wheel spins forever), can't even save the track.

That's strange because I have more than 10 NS2 projects that have been using Replicant 2 without ever running into any issues. What iPad are you running out of curiosity?

Ipad 6th gen. (2018)

• @silent1 said:

@richardyot said:

@silent1 said:

Ipad 6th gen. (2018)

Thanks. I wonder is it's a RAM issue then? Ipad 6th Gen has 2GB (same as the Air 2), whereas the 10.5 Pro I use has 4Gb.

• @Stiksi said:

@god said:

Hey, if you have time, (and unless you have already and I’ve missed it) could you open up a bug report on the Nanostudio forum for no.2? https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/categories/bug-reports

As for no. 1, have you tried the same plugins hosted in another app with approximately the same routings? Is the CPU usage significantly better?

Also, if we’ve gone over this already, I’m sorry, my brain is swiss cheese because of self-isolation with a school kid.

Hi!

Yeah I believe we have goine over this :wink:

About no.1 -- no worries really, I think that the CPU usage is about the same in other hosts as well. The problem with older devices is they struggle with low-latency. I always set buffer size to high in every music making app that I use.

About no.2 I'm pretty sure I posted about it in the NS2 forums, quite some time ago. It's not really a huge problem for me any more.. just a minor nuisance.

• @god Oh yeah, now I remember. We did take it to Matt then so he’s definitely aware of the issue. As a non-coder those AU issues seem really tricky to solve. Wish I could help more.

• @Stiksi said:
    @god Oh yeah, now I remember. We did take it to Matt then so he’s definitely aware of the issue. As a non-coder those AU issues seem really tricky to solve. Wish I could help more.

Great, Thank you!

• Can’t figure how to route fugue machine separately to different auv3 synths.

Any suggestions?