Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

whoa! out NOW! Sugar Bytes Factory - Modular Synthesizer for iOS

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    It’s still useable though, isn’t it? Was about to pick this up

Yes, it is still usable and a great sounding synth.

The bug is that on iOS 13 presets with wavetables don't get reloaded properly with the state. So, you have to reselect them. Since I don't have iOS 13, I am not 100% sure, but I think as a shortcut for recalling them (in AUM at least) is to save the preset to AUMs preset list, so it is only a tap or two away.

...and it is still buggy.

• @lazyass said:
    How hard it’s on cpu? Trying to understand will it run on my iPad Air 1 in AUM with few ppg infinite and ruismaker?

Middling I’d say. It’s not as low as BramBos synths and not as high as others. Definitely use high buffer setting on an older device... at least 512, maybe 1024.

• Finally took the time yesterday to begin doing some "understanding" of this synth. Before that it was just preset messing about. I'm sooo impressed with this synth and very excited to get back to it tonight.

Honestly, lately I've been flirting with the idea of getting into modular synthesis (hardware). I had said that I was not going to do this. Yesterday's digging into Factory and seeing what could be done with this app made me rethink that whole dream of modular. May not seem related (maybe mirack would be more obvious) but it is ... i'm running and running looking for new musical experiences and here is this app that I literally just scratched the wrapping off of and I'm gobsmacked. Thanks Sugar Bytes.

• edited April 2020

@kinkujin said:
    Finally took the time yesterday to begin doing some "understanding" of this synth. Before that it was just preset messing about. I'm sooo impressed with this synth and very excited to get back to it tonight.

Honestly, lately I've been flirting with the idea of getting into modular synthesis (hardware). I had said that I was not going to do this. Yesterday's digging into Factory and seeing what could be done with this app made me rethink that whole dream of modular. May not seem related (maybe mirack would be more obvious) but it is ... i'm running and running looking for new musical experiences and here is this app that I literally just scratched the wrapping off of and I'm gobsmacked. Thanks Sugar Bytes.

I did really enjoy using it but unfortunately avoid it now due to the preset loading bug. (Ps. Moan)

• @AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:
    Finally took the time yesterday to begin doing some "understanding" of this synth. Before that it was just preset messing about. I'm sooo impressed with this synth and very excited to get back to it tonight.

I did really enjoy using it but unfortunately avoid it now due to the preset loading bug. (Ps. Moan)

Any word from dev on this issue?

• @kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

Any word from dev on this issue?

Apparently it is an Apple bug. No idea if it is a game of chicken at this point (who fixes or hacks what?) but it has been around for so long I just gave up on Factory. Not a big deal when mainly working on one project, but jumping between a bunch it just became a hassle.

• @AudioGus said:

Apparently it is an Apple bug.

So how come other apps which can recall saved samples and wavetables don't suffer from this bug?

• @kinkujin said:

i agree man, diving into factory to really get a grasp on it is what got me back into mirack. i was kinda giving up on learning modular and feeling overwhelmed but figuring out factory brought me some insight and perspective that clicked, now i’m enjoying it and mirack a lot more and building patches i thought i’d never make

• @ElectroHead said:

@AudioGus said:

So how come other apps which can recall saved samples and wavetables don't suffer from this bug?

I am 100% unqualified to field such questions. That being said perhaps they just need to inject it with disinfectant?

• @AudioGus said:

@ElectroHead said:

@AudioGus said:

I am 100% unqualified to field such questions. That being said perhaps they just need to inject it with disinfectant?

:D

• Hands down! Fac is surely one of the best sounding synth plugs we have!!!

• @david_2017 said:
    Hands down! Fac is surely one of the best sounding synth plugs we have!!!

Don't want to sound like a fanbwoy, but on sound quality - starting with the oscs filters - Drambo leaves FAC in the dust. .

• new update is out.
    fixing that pesky bug that made the synth not load correct samples in auv3 version!

• Nice! Fantastic, fantastic synth

• It's fixed???

This is fantastic news. That bug seriously compromised my enjoyment of an otherwise A+ synth. Great that Factory can now go back into the toolbox!

• Just tested. It’s fixed!

• edited July 2020

@waka_x said:
    new update is out.
    fixing that pesky bug that made the synth not load correct samples in auv3 version!

Whoot! Was hoping that was why the thread got bumped! Going to be using waaay more Factory now. :)

Thanks Apple! Err, I mean Sugar Bytes.

• @ElectroHead said:

@david_2017 said:

Don't want to sound like a fanbwoy, but on sound quality - starting with the oscs filters - Drambo leaves FAC in the dust. .

Nothing is greater and will ever be greater than Drambo but when you read carefully again I never claimed it’s the best. I said one of the best which leaves enough space for Drambo

• @david_2017 said:

@ElectroHead said:

@david_2017 said:

Nothing is greater and will ever be greater than Drambo but when you read carefully again I never claimed it’s the best. I said one of the best which leaves enough space for Drambo

+1
    It's easy to say 'Nah, Drambo can do it better' without posting a patch that does it.

• @rs2000 said:

@david_2017 said:

@ElectroHead said:

@david_2017 said:

+1
    It's easy to say 'Nah, Drambo can do it better' without posting a patch that does it.

Yep. Would be nice to have some sonic examples instead of meaningless and unsubstantial statements how incredible drambo is

It’s a cool sequencer I really like and enjoy.

• @david_2017 said:

@rs2000 said:

@david_2017 said:

@ElectroHead said:

@david_2017 said:

+1

Yep. Would be nice to have some sonic examples instead of meaningless and unsubstantial statements how incredible drambo is

It’s a cool sequencer I really like and enjoy.

+1

• Ppl mentioned that the recent update fixed a bug. But here is the problem I have. I find that I can only change preset a few times, maybe ten or 15 times before it stops allowing me to select a new preset (whether with arrows or by clicking on a preset name). Anyone else have this problem? This happens in both AU and standalone. Once it has kind of frozen on a preset like this, the only way I can change to a new one is by quitting the app and reopening.

• @Gavinski said:
    Ppl mentioned that the recent update fixed a bug. But here is the problem I have. I find that I can only change preset a few times, maybe ten or 15 times before it stops allowing me to select a new preset (whether with arrows or by clicking on a preset name). Anyone else have this problem? This happens in both AU and standalone. Once it has kind of frozen on a preset like this, the only way I can change to a new one is by quitting the app and reopening.

Same here - never noticed before - but is reproducible ...

• I'll message them. You can please do the same! And I would encourage others to also do this. Big companies like this seem to generally need a push to fix these things. Thanks for confirming @Bon_Tempi

• Will Check too and report if I can confirm too. Never noticed

• Sugarbytes got back to me already and confirmed that it is a problem and they will fix it.

• @Gavinski said:
    Sugarbytes got back to me already and confirmed that it is a problem and they will fix it.

Cool - thanks *

• @Gavinski said:
    I'll message them. You can please do the same! And I would encourage others to also do this. Big companies like this seem to generally need a push to fix these things. Thanks for confirming @Bon_Tempi

I’ve generally found Sugar Bytes pretty responsive in my dealings with them over the years.

• Good to hear!

• They are fast - update has already been submitted!