Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best synths for experimental sounds on iOS? (Or - what would Hainbach use if he was an iOS musician?

Are there any synths on iOS that come close to doing what a beast like the Cocoquantas does, seen here in this super interesting demo by Hainbach, for instance. Things like: cross modulation of pitch between oscillators themselves, not using lfos, then allowing these sounds generated to be sampled and turned into loops inside the synth itself, these loops can then once again cross modulate each other. The most relevant section the video is from around 3 minutes onward for a few more mins, thanks!

Edit: I am guessing maybe drambo can at least do the cross modulation part? Though have no idea how it is done

Comments

• @Gavinski : I’m interested to see what people come up with here, but as a general idea I would say it’s worth thinking of AUM and the ease with which you can cross connect and patch audio (via FX slot sends) and MIDI (via the matrix) , and recycle and run multiple instances of audio via perfect loops created using the Quantum facility and the File Players in perfect sync and at any speed (albeit only down to 20bpm) make it feasible to think of the whole AUM ecosystem as a single, massively modular synth. I suspect Apematrix, which adds the ability to modulate almost anything might be even better, but for some reason I’ve never really clicked with it as I have AUM

• I suspected you would be keen on seeing what comes up here my friend, haha. Yes, I’ve been going through a bunch of his videos the last few days, and thinking how I could do my own spin on these sounds with the tools I have, but it will definitely be interesting to see what some of the forum’s synthesis gurus have to say. Thanks as always for your tips :D

• edited April 2020

Shockwave is looking like a candidate for the cross-mod feature by the way

• Guessing that Audulus probably is too, though it looks a bit complex for me at the moment

• Go to hainbachs band camp and download his sample pack. Try running the samples through SynthScaper into Drambo

• He has more samples available too through patreon. 10$ a month to have access

• edited April 2020

Thanks, yes, I've been playing with his samples, and my well consider patreon, Hainbach is so generous with his knowledge. Don't have synthscaper but I'm certainly a big fan of fieldscaper.

• edited April 2020

You can load up some Quantussy Cells in miRack

For the sampler/looper section I would try FieldScaper or Enso or Drambo

• Hainbach himself uses AD Quanta on iOS. But it's nothing like Cocoquantus.

Instead of looking for something like Cocoquantus, I'd suggest applying Hainbach's approach to Eurorack to ios modular. (See his feb 17 video: )

(In mirack/vcv, NYSTHI Simpliciter covers the tape looping (morphagene) part of the equation; Audible Instruments Texture Synthesizer covers other parts.)

• edited April 2020

Enso is the bomb for this stuff, and one of my fave apps. Elsa I’ll have to check out. Can definitely recommend Shockwave, I bought it some time ago but never really got into it, after some noodling this evening I see now that it is wonderful for this kind of crazy stuff. Would definitely like to know what other apps have this cross mod function. Also these kind of features like note generation from envelopes, lfos etc are perfect. I only used this synth for presets for mpe before, I was missing out big time....

• There was a discussion a while ago about this subject, specifically the ZachteMan featured in this video:

This led esteemed member @MrBlaschke to create a Mozaic script to emulate the device:

https://patchstorage.com/zachteman/

• @Gavinski said:
    Guessing that Audulus probably is too, though it looks a bit complex for me at the moment

FWIW, while creating things from scratch in Audulus requires a lot of knowledge--there are a ton of pre-made projects that are pretty simple to wire together.

It seems like the tutorials are geared to people understanding programming modules and not so
    much for people wanting to re-purpose modules.

Anyway, if you already have Audulus, track down the huge module archive that was posted. It contains some great effects boxes.

• Would Layr fit into this at all? I don’t have it but wondering about it while it’s on sale...

• edited April 2020

Don’t overlook iLep which is geared precisely toward the Elektroakustische Musik that Hainbach is composing:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ilep/id1388225714

@Krupa said:
    Would Layr fit into this at all? I don’t have it but wondering about it while it’s on sale...

Would KarlHeinz Stockhausen be willing to kill for LayR?

Yes

Is a Cocoquantus?

No.

• @Gavinski said:
    Are there any synths on iOS that come close to doing what a beast like the Cocoquantas does, seen here in this super interesting demo by Heinbach, for instance. Things like: cross modulation of pitch between oscillators themselves, not using lfos, then allowing these sounds generated to be sampled and turned into loops inside the synth itself, these loops can then once again cross modulate each other. The most relevant section the video is from around 3 minutes onward for a few more mins, thanks!

Edit: I am guessing maybe drambo can at least do the cross modulation part? Though have no idea how it is done

Drambo and miRack are the two that you can definitely build that with.
    miRack has more sophisticated modules and Drambo is much easier to use IMHO.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Guessing that Audulus probably is too, though it looks a bit complex for me at the moment

FWIW, while creating things from scratch in Audulus requires a lot of knowledge--there are a ton of pre-made projects that are pretty simple to wire together.

It seems like the tutorials are geared to people understanding programming modules and not so

Anyway, if you already have Audulus, track down the huge module archive that was posted. It contains some great effects boxes.

That's very true. There are some real geniuses on the Audulus forum.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Don’t overlook iLep which is geared precisely toward the Elektroakustische Musik that Hainbach is composing:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ilep/id1388225714

@Krupa said:
    Would Layr fit into this at all? I don’t have it but wondering about it while it’s on sale...

Would KarlHeinz Stockhausen be willing to kill for LayR?

Yes

Is a Cocoquantus?

No.

Great answer, made me smile :)

• Thanks a lot for the feedback so far guys, will be looking into all these things. Is there a tutorial @rs2000 that shows how to do x-mod in drambo? I was playing around with it and couldn't figure this out, nor did I see something in the manual. May need a helping hand.

• miRack
    Drambo
    Icegear synths
    Spectrum
    FM synths like KQ Dixie

These come to mind for possibilities of experimental sounds. To this, quirky FX like PhaseDelayArray and Delayrium are others to consider. Plus Mozaic and midi fx for modulation and LFOs.

• edited April 2020

What is a Quantussy? Quantussy is the name Peter Blasser gave to the cluster of five oscillators in his Cocoquantus.

http://pugix.com/synth/what-is-the-quantussy/
    http://pugix.com/synth/eurorack-quantussy-cells/

• he'd definitely be using all of Igor vasilev's apps

• Everything from the following:
    Icegear
    Apesoft
    Amazing Noises
    Igor Vasilev

• edited April 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    Hainbach would buy on old AEG hairdryer or old IBM typing keyboard, record that, and drone on how exotic, vintage and creative that is. >:)

Oh come on an old AEG Hairdryer...... these Modular De Brocks
    Are so much warmer sounding surround sound too !! B)

• Don't know much about Hainbach but here's a rare photo of Hendrix trying to "joosh"
    Up Noel Redding's Bass sound during the recording of "Are You Experienced".
    Not sure of the make of the hairdryer, but it was probably modded by Roger Mayer

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup-interview-roger-mayer

B)

• @Max23 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

That's very true. There are some real geniuses on the Audulus forum.

It’s like Reaktor used to be,
    Way to complicated.
    A few ppl building up a library
    and the rest just using that.
    That’s not how creative software in 2020 is supposed to be like.
    I find that very 1990s. Meh.

Well, that's the Audulus UI but that doesn't make its patches contributed by forum members worse. There's some fantastic stuff that could be a good source for Drambonian patches.

Drambo must be doing something right though, the amount of contributions from our great forum members seems to be considerably higher than in typical modular synths. :+1:

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks a lot for the feedback so far guys, will be looking into all these things. Is there a tutorial @rs2000 that shows how to do x-mod in drambo? I was playing around with it and couldn't figure this out, nor did I see something in the manual. May need a helping hand.

I've upped a short video with description. Does it help?

• @Gavinski said:
    Are there any synths on iOS that come close to doing what a beast like the Cocoquantas does, seen here in this super interesting demo by Heinbach, for instance. Things like: cross modulation of pitch between oscillators themselves, not using lfos, then allowing these sounds generated to be sampled and turned into loops inside the synth itself, these loops can then once again cross modulate each other. The most relevant section the video is from around 3 minutes onward for a few more mins, thanks!

You can certainly patch it up in mirack, maybe drambo too. The recipe for patching quantussy cells is here:

http://pugix.com/synth/eurorack-quantussy-cells/

• edited April 2020

@rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Thanks a lot for the feedback so far guys, will be looking into all these things. Is there a tutorial @rs2000 that shows how to do x-mod in drambo? I was playing around with it and couldn't figure this out, nor did I see something in the manual. May need a helping hand.

I've upped a short video with description. Does it help?

That’s extremely kind of you! Only problem is, I can’t see an x-mod module anywhere in the drambo modules, where is it hiding?

Edit: does it need to be made, perhaps? Not sure I know how to do that at this point, but I AM working my way through the drambo manual these days, and glad to say it is a pretty clear manual, though I guess it only barely scratches the surface of what can be done...