Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS music apps programming language ( DEVELOPERS ! )

Hi ! I was looking a bit for some languages for music apps for iOS.

The people who is developing right now apps. Which language are using ? just Swift ? Any library ?
How can i start developing music apps for iOS ? there's a forum for it ? (more than stackoverflow) haha

Any help would be nice :)

and would be nice to read some developers comments about it :)

Comments

• I think the general consensus is C or C++, wrapped in Swift or Objective C.

Michael has a good post about iOS dev that worths a read:
    http://atastypixel.com/blog/four-common-mistakes-in-audio-development/

• @blakkaz said:
    I think the general consensus is C or C++, wrapped in Swift or Objective C.

thanks !
    wow, C and C++ aren't easy at all :( sounds complex really. Still want to know about it

Still impress with some apps and brands like Zeeon, Brambros, Samplr, AUM, Spacecraft, and many other good ones

• @raimundoarriagada said:

@blakkaz said:

thanks !
    wow, C and C++ aren't easy at all :( sounds complex really. Still want to know about it

Still impress with some apps and brands like Zeeon, Brambros, Samplr, AUM, Spacecraft, and many other good ones

Check with the AudioKit Pro folks. Their mission is making audio programming accessible.

https://audiokitpro.com/audiokit/

• @espiegel123 said:

@raimundoarriagada said:

@blakkaz said:

thanks !

Check with the AudioKit Pro folks. Their mission is making audio programming accessible.

Yeah ! Already check it :) thanks ! Can i do AUv3 with it ? Still having some doubts about it. haha

@espiegel123 said:

@raimundoarriagada said:

@blakkaz said:

thanks !

Yeah ! Already check it :) thanks ! Can i do AUv3 with it ? Still having some doubts about it. haha

I am not sure what the current state of their thinking is as to the viability of Swift AUv3 development.

@analog_matt ?

• I am not sure what the current state of their thinking is as to the viability of Swift AUv3 development.

@analog_matt ?

Free AUv3 code template coming in about a month or so

• I’d probably throw some ideas together myself if Swift became a possibility, but as a Haskell man C/C++ is quite unpalatable to me.

• edited March 2020

@blakkaz said:

It's the "wrapped in Swift" portion that I can't figure out how to bypass. I'm okay with C, and could probably figure C++ but it seems I need to get a Mac or is there any way I can bypass that as a Windows user?

(Ordered an older Mac Mini but it seems it can't support Swift-returned it)

• edited March 2020

I’m a developer and go to a fair number of developer conferences. I haven’t seen anything but Macs at them for years and the very, very few that are PC laptops are probably running Linux.

A UNIX/Linux style environment just makes things so much easier.

(obviously these aren’t Windows-related conferences...)

• @Samflash3 said:

@blakkaz said:

It's the "wrapped in Swift" portion that I can't figure out how to bypass. I'm okay with C, and could probably figure C++ but it seems I need to get a Mac or is there any way I can bypass that as a Windows user?

(Ordered a Mac Mini but it seems it can't support Swift-returned it)

It would be extremely difficult to make an iOS audio app without a Mac.

• @qryss said:
    I’m a developer and go to a fair number of developer conferences. I haven’t seen anything but Macs at them for years and the very, very few that are PC laptops are probably running Linux.

A UNIX/Linux style environment just makes things so much easier.

(obviously these aren’t Windows-related conferences...)

.NET is still very popular in corporate world.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@busker said:
    It would be extremely difficult to make an iOS audio app without a Mac.

^this.

XCode and Swift look good to me, with the understanding that I may need to dive into some C++ for performance-critical tasks. I plan to buy a MacBook Pro and start that journey. I do have to say that the examples and tutorials on the XCode site do make it look like a ton of time can be saved with that approach.

I’m planning to ease the learning curve at first by leaning on AudioKit, but not exclusively, and only after diving in and understanding what AudioKit is doing under the hood. Thankfully the sources are available, so this will be possible provided my brain doesn’t explode.

• @Samflash3 said:

@blakkaz said:

What gave you the impression that it couldn't support Swift?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Samflash3 said:

@blakkaz said:

What gave you the impression that it couldn't support Swift?

Sorry. My bad. It was supposed to be a 2012 Mac Mini but it ended up being a 2010 Mac Mini so I returned it. It couldn't install Swift.

• Objective-C for the UI and C for the rendering code here. No library.

I'd strongly suggest that you do use a library, though. Apple's documentation has been getting worse and worse with each new version of Xcode. The current documentation of the audio frameworks is now poor at best and non-existent at worst. It can literally be a case of watching WWDC videos for some hints and trying to figure it out from there...

• Thank you everyone for your comments :)

I thought would be easier to do it .... but still i feel it quite far and A LOT of time to make it.

I thought would be easier to do it .... but still i feel it quite far and A LOT of time to make it.

Everyone thinks hard things are easy until they start trying to do them. There's a 10,000 hour rubric about mastering any sufficiently complex activity.

At 4 hours / day that's a 7 year effort.

It also assumes you'll have the patience to deal with the mental strain of managing complexity... which can only be addressed with consistent, positive energy towards a goal.

Scripting doesn't really save a lot of time if your goal is a competitive app. It's good however to learn to master the basics of programming structures and data management while reducing the demands of user interface designs.

• There's a 10,000 hour rubric about mastering any sufficiently complex activity.

I wouldn't get too literal on the 10,000 hour thing. Malcolm Gladwell pulled that number out of his ass (the guy whose work he cites is pretty bitter about it).

• wimwim
    edited April 2020

@cian said:

There's a 10,000 hour rubric about mastering any sufficiently complex activity.

I wouldn't get too literal on the 10,000 hour thing. Malcolm Gladwell pulled that number out of his ass (the guy whose work he cites is pretty bitter about it).

Yes, but few people know that he had practiced pulled things out of his ass for more than 10,000 hours previously. By then he was an expert at it. We cannot really question the number until we've done the same.

I've not tracked it, but I'm surely over that number by now.

• @wim said:
    I've not tracked it, but I'm surely over that number by now.

It's really just a sign post... this way to expertise: 10,000 hours. Sure some people become experts just by talking ore crap and the crowd likes their attention to keeping the "others"
    in cages... or worse.

But real expertise takes concerted effort over a long period of time.

How many works per day on average over how many days have you invested in this unstated achievement? I do recognize your expertise in multiple areas so I'm not trying to
    insult your abilities. But you did the work, right?

Can yo imagine someone making a competitive app from the day they ask for language/platform advice to be anything less than 3 years at best? Matt's AudioKit adventure
    is probably the best model... and he joined a movement and got a lot of help developing his
    skills from master programmers. This really the best approach... pick a community to work within. AudioKit's OpenSource approach provides the bets environment for me but I could see using Juce being great if you have visions of multiple platform expertise.

The Audio Damage duo just writes their own multiplatform GUI's in C and shares the code base between Mac and IOS apps. But if they had the chance to know what they know now would they do that or have better GUI's on IOS exclusively? Too late and they made it this far.

• wimwim
    edited April 2020

I think you misunderstood me @McD. I was referring to my hours of experience pulling things out of my ass, not programming or any other skill.

I totally agree with you that it's unrealistic to think of developing iOS apps from ground zero without many hundreds or thousands of hours of investment in learning and actual development time. I have 30+ years of computer experience and exposure to (light) levels of programming. Even so, I'll be pretty satisfied with myself if I can put together a decent modest iOS music app in under a year from where I'm starting at just this week.