Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GlitchCore - A work in progress Auv3 by Alex Matheu

Comments

• Really nice plugin, very useful buffer effect thanks! :)

I get a lot of clicks when using melodic samples so maybe the envelope options could be extended?
    But lots of fun.....

Is there a way to stop/start the sequencer with the timeline? if not, hope that gets added.

• @Carnbot said:
    Really nice plugin, very useful buffer effect thanks! :)

I get a lot of clicks when using melodic samples so maybe the envelope options could be extended?
    But lots of fun.....

Is there a way to stop/start the sequencer with the timeline? if not, hope that gets added.

The sequencer is always running, it depends on sample accurate audio from the host. Maybe in the future I can implement a start and stop, but I imagine that would pull it out of sync.

As for clicks, in settings make sure micro fade is on, and adjust the sliders to dial in the micro fades for the types of sound. For melodic sounds start with the Melodic preset (assuming your host shows you presets). The numbers you are adjusting are the actual number of sample frames for how long the micro fade will last.

• @Carnbot said:

But lots of fun.....

I forgot to mention, there are different micro fade sliders for each mode, so Loop adjusts the loop micro fade, Sequence adjusts the Pattern Sequencer micro fade and so on.

Also one thing to try is to change the Glitch Step (for clicks with X\Y pad) this adjust the spacing that your finger must move in order to trigger a change in the Glitch Strip, clicks can be caused by changing the micro loop start too often and making this 32nd or even 16th with some types of sounds can have a great impact on minimizing those clicks.

• @distraub said:

@RockySmalls said:

@distraub said:

@RockySmalls said:

thanks distraub, i wondered if the vague thought of putting some routable multibus outputs in at a later date had crossed your mind?

It had, but I figured Scatterbrain was already doing that exact thing. But I have thought about putting multiple inputs at one point.

well, that’s an even more interesting idea.. keep that thought :)

My original thought, and I actually did something similar in that GlitchBreaks emulator demo AUM session I posted with Mozaic was to feed in up to 4 inputs, which then would correspond to pads in the UI, where selecting one pad would exclusively solo that input. This would emulate the behavior of one of my other Apps GlitchBreaks, but with live audio as an effect.

It currently works in using the session I made, but if I had it internally in the app, I could do something like have each input buffered, and then use that buffer, so there would be no delay as the buffer catches up.

Mr Burroughs would approve ( as do I )

• @distraub said:

@Carnbot said:

But lots of fun.....

I forgot to mention, there are different micro fade sliders for each mode, so Loop adjusts the loop micro fade, Sequence adjusts the Pattern Sequencer micro fade and so on.

Also one thing to try is to change the Glitch Step (for clicks with X\Y pad) this adjust the spacing that your finger must move in order to trigger a change in the Glitch Strip, clicks can be caused by changing the micro loop start too often and making this 32nd or even 16th with some types of sounds can have a great impact on minimizing those clicks.

Yeah I’ve been trying the microfade options to max values and sometimes this helps but not every occasion removes all clicks. In that case I find removing the steps in the sequencer is the only option to remove the steps which are clicking the most.

But will experiment more with different samples....

Re: timeline...I understand about the real-time sampling....so I guess if the sequencer can’t be off then perhaps it could have an optional mute which mutes and unmutes with the host timeline? (Just an idea, not sure if it’s possible).
    I guess one could make a workaround for this in AUM with a script or another sequencer muting and unmuting the channel with the timeline anyway. :)

• @Carnbot said:

@distraub said:

@Carnbot said:

But lots of fun.....

Yeah I’ve been trying the microfade options to max values and sometimes this helps but not every occasion removes all clicks. In that case I find removing the steps in the sequencer is the only option to remove the steps which are clicking the most.

It's very much dependent on the input sound. I was just playing with a somewhat percussive Mersenne patch and setting the Glitch MicroFade to smaller values actually worked best for eliminating clicks.

• Re: timeline...I understand about the real-time sampling....so I guess if the sequencer can’t be off then perhaps it could have an optional mute which mutes and unmutes with the host timeline? (Just an idea, not sure if it’s possible).
    I guess one could make a workaround for this in AUM with a script or another sequencer muting and unmuting the channel with the timeline anyway. :)

Is the idea to be able to just mute the input entirely for a bit, then switch it back on? As a workaround you could do this, in the sequencer pick a pattern, select the clear button. This will essentially mute the sequencer. Anytime you want to mute it then you can select that pattern. But I was thinking the reason you wanted to stop it, was that you wanted it to not actually be running, or sync offbeat etc...

• Also pro tip, if you have a pattern that you want to create a mute for more than one consecutive step and don't want to tap each one. Just tap the first one while held drag your finger beneath the grid, then drag the direction that you want to mute more steps. This will essentially draw a line of mutes until you life your finger.

• Using synched LFOs and triggers to get a "bouncing ball" type effect:

• @aplourde said:

@Carnbot said:

@distraub said:

@Carnbot said:

But lots of fun.....

It's very much dependent on the input sound. I was just playing with a somewhat percussive Mersenne patch and setting the Glitch MicroFade to smaller values actually worked best for eliminating clicks.

That’s true, but occasionally it’s impossible to remove them on any setting, not a big problem :), just wondered if a more aggressive declicking option was possible in a future iteration.

Sugarbytes Egoist has envelope per step. But I appreciate that’s lots of extra work to code. :)

• This looks so friggin insane. I shall get it now, as I was loving the sliver update. This seems like a live audio glitch breaks and that's so amazing. I really hope the interface is easy to grasp. Seems so far.... Cheers and forget norm core we rollin glitch core b %^!

• @aplourde said:
    Using synched LFOs and triggers to get a "bouncing ball" type effect:

That is amazing.
    When I was testing AU Parameter automation I made a session with 16 Rozeta LFOs that automated every step on an LFO. Made for some really cool generative sounds. I will make a video later today.

• @distraub said:
    Another thing I am curious about and wanted to ask.

Would you rather a developer start sharing things early, screens, videos, like I did?

Depending on how early, it can make the wait for the product feel really long, but it is fun to view that stuff.
    I know it is also fun to be surprised, if the dev kept it under wraps and said here check this thing out, and now it is available.

Also a nice thing for me, was seeing the excitement around the things I was sharing, motivates me to make it awesome.

Let me know your thoughts.

@distraub I have enjoyed the process of developing and like the idea of you sharing it. Also if you are open to suggestions it couldn't be better for both parts. Just keep it on.

5 ⭐️ here too!!

• edited March 2020

@distraub said:

@aplourde said:
    Using synched LFOs and triggers to get a "bouncing ball" type effect:

That is amazing.
    When I was testing AU Parameter automation I made a session with 16 Rozeta LFOs that automated every step on an LFO. Made for some really cool generative sounds. I will make a video later today.

Sounds interesting. If you don't mind, then please share the AUM session with these 16 LFOs as well:)

• I used it with guitar to create a pad sort of thing. May be an unusual usecase ;)

• @david_2017 said:
    I used it with guitar to create a pad sort of thing. May be an unusual usecase ;)

Wow that sounds fantastic

• Can't wait to get home and buy this
    Very fair price !!

• Thanks Alex! Glad you like it! 👊🏼😎

@distraub said:

@david_2017 said:
    I used it with guitar to create a pad sort of thing. May be an unusual usecase ;)

Wow that sounds fantastic

• @Pierre118 said:
    Nice one, @david_2017 !

Thanks mate! Nice you told me 👊🏼😁 appreciate it!

• @distraub said:

@Turntablist said:
    Cant access presets, it has No preset browser here.

I relied on the host to handle presets, unfortunately some hosts aren’t fully baked for preset handling, AUM handles them great some don’t show anything. I am adding internal preset handling in the first update

Thank you!

• @distraub said:
    Mutable as in the pattern mutates when you hit random, I was thinking you meant locking those steps so they wouldn’t mutate. Of course you can always copy pattern and keep a portion the same through out and then use au parameters to automate the changing of those patterns

Is it possible to automate pattern changing in Cubasis 3? I can’t get it to work (probably my fault).

• Hmm I don’t believe using the pattern buttons trigger the AU Parameter to change, because that would trigger a loop since the UI listen last for AU Parameter changes to update displays.

It really stinks that Cubasis does not expose AU Parameters, otherwise it would be simple. We need to keep asking Steinberg to please expose the parameters then you would be able to automate anything you wanted to.

• Unless I am missing something and you can actually see all of the parameters

• Thanks @distraub, I thought that might be the case. Automating anything in Cubasis is a pain in the backside.

• @distraub said:
    That is amazing.

Thanks!

@mlau said:
    @aplourde superb !

Thank you! I ran with the idea and fleshed it out a bit (also using the new Audiomodern Filterstep which pairs brilliantly with GlitchCore):

• @aplourde wow! that is an excellent video, and I love the track!

• Has anyone managed to get on top of this lag with the sync host yet? I can’t get anything to work. If I am playing a one bar loop linked with the host (AUM) that has a couple of bass drums at the start and little else going on - they don’t appear in the grid until positions 12 & 13.
    I have tried emptying it and restarting the host but nothing is working. Even when it is empty of any audio you can see the Glitchcore little red line is running behind AUM’s red line out of sync.
    Has anyone managed it?
    Can something maybe be done with the audio freeze helping out @distraub? Like if the audio is frozen can the timelines be more easily matched? Or could you please put up a video of how you are doing it if I am missing something?
    It’s still a fantastic app (one of my absolute go to’s) and there are workarounds - I’m just wondering if anyone has managed to sync up these little red lines. Being able to do this would be great - It’s a bit like watching the end of a horse race over and over at the moment 😀

• @robosardine said:
    Has anyone managed to get on top of this lag with the sync host yet? I can’t get anything to work. If I am playing a one bar loop linked with the host (AUM) that has a couple of bass drums at the start and little else going on - they don’t appear in the grid until positions 12 & 13.
    I have tried emptying it and restarting the host but nothing is working. Even when it is empty of any audio you can see the Glitchcore little red line is running behind AUM’s red line out of sync.
    Has anyone managed it?
    Can something maybe be done with the audio freeze helping out @distraub? Like if the audio is frozen can the timelines be more easily matched? Or could you please put up a video of how you are doing it if I am missing something?
    It’s still a fantastic app (one of my absolute go to’s) and there are workarounds - I’m just wondering if anyone has managed to sync up these little red lines. Being able to do this would be great - It’s a bit like watching the end of a horse race over and over at the moment 😀

This is what seems to be happening:

If AUM is the only Link app running, it won't have a constant running Link cycle, so it will start when you press play and GlitchCore will be in sync, with the one in GlitchCore happening with the one in AUM.

However, if AUM is not the only Link app running, AUM will be monitoring the Link cycle and start when the Link cycle goes to one. This seems to confuse GlitchCore as its buffer keeps cycling, so when AUM starts, GlitchCore can be at some arbitrary point in its cycle.

However, GlitchCore will, during the first loop, re-sync so the quarter notes are aligned; they just might not be matching 1 for 1. E.g. Beat 1 in AUM might be beat 3 in GlitchCore.