Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Glass" Mozaic Script in development

McDMcD
edited March 2020 in Creations

Comments

• Looks awesome! Thanks. I just downloaded can’t wait to try it. I was hoping some interesting Mozaic scripts Might get created since people are home and some have more time off.

• So is it it’s own sequencer or are you sending midi into it

• McDMcD
    edited March 2020

@Poppadocrock said:
    So is it it’s own sequencer or are you sending midi into it

This version has a default melodic sequence. Any incoming notes are appended to the sequencer melody. It will wipe and reset upon receiving a "C2". It's programmed to accept the "white keys" to input a medody and can play from various scales. The sequence data is stored like:

melody[0) = [ 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8]
    length = 9

in the @MySetMelody function.

C2 resets to:
    melody[0] = [0]
    length = 1

0 is C3 (MIDI 36) but the 4 voices are programmed to play chords on open voiceing so any 2 voices create a parallel harmony and all 4 outline chords
    like choral /orchestral arrangements.

Custom scales can be added in the @MySetScale function 0 to 8 are defined and could have their data replaced. These notes are half/step locations in the C Chromatic scale:

// all scales should have 7 notes max
    Major[0] = [0,2,4,5,7,9,11]

Start the DAW transport will start the sequencer. It outputs 4 channels set to 1-4 but there are knobs to direct the 4 voices to any of the 4 MID outs.

I found a use for all 22 knobs... transpose, PPQN subdivisions of the Metronome. Notes can be remapped to subdivisions of the PPQN pulses for polyrhythms are easy to start between the 4 voices. Each voice has a Volume knob and the 4 voices can be "strummed" with a delay setting. The length of the output notes are adjustable from 10 to 1000 msecs.

There's a knob to Ascend or Descend on each loop and the hold or reset to the original root center.

It's fun just to assign to a synth with channels 1-4 "On" or assign 4 synths on the 4 channels. Then start trying the knobs and listening to the morphing of the output.

It saves your knob settings and starts where you left off so saving AUM projects gets you back and running fast.

There are 8 scales implemented so you can keep a melodic pattern but switch from major to minor and some more bizarre scales.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2020

Here's a snapshot of the Mozaic GUI for "The Glass Factory":

TOP ROW (left to right)
    1. PPQN subdivisions
    2. Transpose
    3-6: 4 Note "Release" settings from 10 to 1000 mess
    7-10: 4 Channel Volumes
    11. Strumming setting 10-360 msecs

BOTTOM ROW (left to right)
    1. Descend per Loop/Hold/Loop in Root key/Hold/Ascending per Loop
    2. "Skip" value to insert a "rest" in the loop sequence
    3-6: 4 "Modulates" that play notes on integer values of the PPQN pulses (polyrthyms can be configured easily like 8:2:4:5, 1:2:3:4, 5:7:1:5 across the 4 channels/voices)
    7-10: 4 MIDI channel assignments 1-4 available per channel
    11. Scale option (8 pre-defined scales)

EDIT:I added a PAD-based GUI view interface to enter a custom melody.

Press the Shift Button to open the PAD interface. This will reset the melody and you can enter as many notes as you like and Press the Shift Button to return to the 22 Knob GUI interface for tweaking the rhythms of your melodic pattern.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Beauty, @McD.

Thanks. Been working on this non-stop for a few days. Really fun implementing various
    ideas and pushing until the idea worked or it became something close but useful. It didn't start produce interesting (to me) until today. Part of the fun is figuring out how to "play it"
    live but it's easy to fiddle the knobs until something sounds interesting. Hit the "save" button and you can duplicate the loop easily.

I may add a feature to save "presets" and call them up with a knob. For me the MIDI assignment channels are not need since AUM can manage that config detail. So, I could re-purpose those knobs for preset dialing and maybe a few other new features like swapping notes in the chord (dynamic chord inversions in realtime).

It would also be nice to construct counterpoint medodies (like Bach inventions and Fugues).
    I wonder how much of that could be automated using good voicing rules?

• Awesome, thanks for the info.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

Ask any questions so I can see if it's useful without video training required. I won't
    be making any videos myself.

It might also be a sequencer that doesn't sound great for a lot of styles. For me the polyrhythms are great... like intense Salsa music played perfectly. Just fun to tweak looking for something. Unfortunately the timing accuracy is frustrating against a perfect metronome but everything on IOS seems to have that problem for precise rhythmic alignment. IN Logic Pro I can nudge the audio to get the drums right "in the pocket". So, recording loops and
    sample editing would probably be needed. But as a standalone app it's pretty tight. @Brambos did his work really well making the timing engine in Mozaic. You can push a lot of midi events with these scripts.

• Cool. Once I dig in I’ll be sure to reach out. Thanks.

• NOTE: I added a PAD Gui interface to enter a custom melody.

Press the Shift Button to open the PAD interface. This will reset the melody and you can enter as many notes as you like and Press the Shift Button to return to the 22 Knob GUI interface for tweaking the rhythms of your melodic pattern.

• It works well for Ambient textures too. I made this in the garden on my iPhone. No controllers needed... not even the AUM keyboard to make this. No requirement to know any music theory either. But you still fell like you "dialed" in your creation. When the Upload failed due to disk limits I upgraded to keep these around longer than a few weeks.

I like the fact that there's always a pleasing harmonic relationship between notes but in an update I'm going to add some options to be:

• intentionally dissonant
    • use "powerchords" with out 3rds in the chord stacks
    • quartal chords
  • McDMcD
    edited March 2020

It occurred to me that 2 instances tuned 6 1/2 steps apart would insure more dissonance.
    I made the notes more sparce and used some bells and tines.

The moving tones are Mononoke using the internal pad controller.

• Wonderful work! Thanks,

• @JustJill said:
    Wonderful work! Thanks,

Thanks for the listen.

• It can make a nice drone to improvise over the top of...

• Some more modifications to allow for Power Chords to be selected best with Scales 3, 4.
    Requires Glass_v1.4. Uploading soon.

• fun! thank you

• @crifytosp said:
    fun! thank you

Thanks.

• amazing for drumming too. a global offset would be handy with this.

• @crifytosp said:
    amazing for drumming too. a global offset would be handy with this.

Can you describe what you’re thinking when you mention global offset? Knob 2 transposes
    And I could add chord/scale setting for drum standard drum machine layout like Xequence supports for major drum machines. Are there default pad layouts too?

It might be better to start a drum sequencer from scratch. I keep getting ideas for the current chord/scale sequencer that I might add. It starting to lag the metronome a bit which makes using
    Another Drumming app bad to my sense of the “pocket”. Is there a drum app that supports shifting around the DAW’s metronome to help sync it with my script. Do the LUMbeats drummers have a shift feature? Those are my go to drummers.

• @McD said:

@crifytosp said:
    amazing for drumming too. a global offset would be handy with this.

Can you describe what you’re thinking when you mention global offset? Knob 2 transposes
    And I could add chord/scale setting for drum standard drum machine layout like Xequence supports for major drum machines. Are there default pad layouts too?

It might be better to start a drum sequencer from scratch. I keep getting ideas for the current chord/scale sequencer that I might add. It starting to lag the metronome a bit which makes using
    Another Drumming app bad to my sense of the “pocket”. Is there a drum app that supports shifting around the DAW’s metronome to help sync it with my script. Do the LUMbeats drummers have a shift feature? Those are my go to drummers.

to be able to adjust timing phase, by increments, against another rhythm.

a chord/scale setting for drums would be great.but i’m getting, interesting if unpredictable results as is.
    apeMatrix has per instrument latency adjustment. would that be fit for purpose?

• It seems state saveing does not work for v1.4.

When reloading previous sessions, the timing, the notes etc differ from what i had setup. I had some cool meandering things running today. I did not use the pads view, only changed stuff on the main knobs page till it sounded nice.

I know - use the source, Luke. But i wasn‘t in the mood for debugging or scripting :)

• @McD This is really so good, thank you!

• @crifytosp said:

Can you describe what you’re thinking when you mention global offset?

to be able to adjust timing phase, by increments, against another rhythm.

The Strum Knob adds a delay to the 5 voices:
    1 and 5 on the pulse so the pulse and melody track the beat
    then in order 2-4 are strummed upwards.

So that's an imprecise offbeat but it's adjustable in 360 increments. The 360 is provided
    by a Mozaic translate scaling from 1-127 to some arbitary range, 0-360 for Knob 11.

Huge delays are good for Ambient non-rhythmic uses at BPM 20. Along with the Step
    Knob to insert rests in the pattern. The Mod1-4 knobs also inserts note dropping.

Let me consider how to add a true offbeat and see if it has an interesting character for changing the chordal alignments

a chord/scale setting for drums would be great.but i’m getting, interesting if unpredictable results as is.

Yes, I have sent drum parts to pianos and added Obj and other sound manglers to make
    cool beats.

apeMatrix has per instrument latency adjustment. would that be fit for purpose?

Yes. the voice are distributed across MIDI channels 1-4 with a knob to reassign any to a 1 to 4 option. So, that would be good in ApeMatrix... I hope it's good at saving everything in a Rig.

I think I will try to implement save/recall settings for a Live performance uses where you
    get several favorite sounds that can be recalled without stopping to swap AUM projects or
    load a new Mozaic script by name.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2020

OK. Glass_v1.5 has the Offset Knob in position 18 replacing the Channel One MIDI setting
    which can just default to 1 but can be modified in the code after install very easily.

Any other ideas worth considering? The offset changes the chords but probably has better
    benefits for drum uses.

I think I'll hook up a drum machine and play with it fir inspiration.

The currently free Arturia iSpark will make a great target.

EDIT: Here's a demo driving iSpark with v1.5. I just auditioned the iSpark presets for about 4 beats each and then played with the Glass knobs for the last part to morph the loop. Offsets prove useful to find good drum patterns. I'm think offsets per voice might prove useful in lieu of the MIDI Channel knobs.

I also used the new discounted AudioKit 808 app for the bass on Channel 1.

NOTE: iSpark is an IAA app and in AUM you must route the MIDI external events to "iSpark Note In" and not the app itself. iSpark has it's own sequencer and I turn it off to just hear the various drum samples.

• This is really great.
    Thanks for sharing!

• @JeffChasteen said:
    This is really great.
    Thanks for sharing!

It’s been fun to make. Adding a drum machine I’d leading me to have some drum patterning.
    I hate the odd cymbal crash and whistle so I have some work to create something useful there.

I think it’s going to take a few days to figure out how to add it and sound musical too.
    Probably start with 16 slots and 3-4 parts and implement a “rest” flag. Should be fun to come up with something.

• this is big

• McDMcD
    edited March 2020

I added a lot of small enhancements redesigning the use of some knobs and labeling.
    I added a Drum channel out with it's own Vol and Release knobs on Channel 10. I would
    like to do some specific drum patterns but right now it just outputs the Channel 1 melody.

Here's a demo of the 1.10 version

It is uploaded to PatchStorage.com:

https://patchstorage.com/glass-factory/

Here's a new GUI:

TOP ROW:
    1 = Pulse Per Daw Metronome Sub-Divisions
    2 = Pitch Transposition
    3 = Release Melody Note (length)
    4 = Release Melody Notes (inner voice1)
    5 = Release Melody Notes (inner voice2)
    6 = Drum Note Release (length)
    7 = Melody Volume
    8 = Inner Voices Volume
    9 = Drum Volume on Channel 10
    10 = Chord Types
    11 = Strum Rate
    BOTTOM ROW:
    12 = Loop (set to groups of 4) Loop, Ascent, Descend w/ Reverse Pattern, and Holds
    13 = Stutter on the pattern setting
    14-17 = Modify Which Notes will sound in the Loop
    18-21 = Modify the starting position of the Pattern in the Loop
    22 = Scale selector