Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Audiobus to multitrack apps that are not Audiobus, IAA or AUv3 compatible on a single iDevice.

If you have an iOS device that still has a headphone socket, Audiobus 3 has made it possible to multitrack ANY audio producing app in stereo on a single iDevice regardless of whether it is Audiobus, IAA or AUv3 capable or not.

Get a USB audio interface with stereo ins and outs and connect the outs back into the ins. Plug the interface into a USB 3 CCK and plug it in to the lightning port.

Plug some headphones into the iDevice headphone socket, this is how you will monitor both backing and input together.

Start up Audiobus 3 and go to settings.
Enable Multiroute Audio.
Load your DAW as an Audiobus input.
When you select the Audiobus output for that channel, click on the option arrow next to ‘System Audio Output’.
Select ‘Headphones Left + Right’, this will prevent the backing audio going to the lightning port, but allow you to hear it in the headphones.

Now set up another Audiobus input.
Select ‘System Audio Input’. Don’t worry about the feedback warning, it’s wrong in this instance, just click ‘Proceed’.
Load your DAW again in the output slot.

You shouldn’t have to do anything special in the DAW, just set up Audiobus 3 as the input to the track you wish to record on and arm it.

Come out to the desktop and start up the app you wish to record.
Go back to either Audiobus or the DAW and start recording.
Switch back to your source app and use it to make some noises. You should be able to hear both the output from the DAW and the app you’re recording in the headphones.

When done, switch back and halt the recording. If you then solo the newly recorded track, you’ll find you have a pristine stereo recording of just the new audio, with no bleed through of any backing.

I’m now able to include in my projects many instrument apps that I’ve not previously been able to record easily due to lack of AB, IAA or AUv3, not least of which is Roli’s Noise, where the SWAM instruments are unavailable in the AUv3 version, yet they’re pretty much the only reason I’d want to use it.

Comments

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    If you have an iOS device that still has a headphone socket, Audiobus 3 has made it possible to multitrack ANY audio producing app in stereo on a single iDevice regardless of whether it is Audiobus, IAA or AUv3 capable or not.

Get a USB audio interface with stereo ins and outs and connect the outs back into the ins. Plug the interface into a USB 3 CCK and plug it in to the lightning port.

Plug some headphones into the iDevice headphone socket, this is how you will monitor both backing and input together.

Start up Audiobus 3 and go to settings.
    Enable Multiroute Audio.
    Load your DAW as an Audiobus input.
    When you select the Audiobus output for that channel, click on the option arrow next to ‘System Audio Output’.
    Select ‘Headphones Left + Right’, this will prevent the backing audio going to the lightning port, but allow you to hear it in the headphones.

Now set up another Audiobus input.
    Select ‘System Audio Input’. Don’t worry about the feedback warning, it’s wrong in this instance, just click ‘Proceed’.
    Load your DAW again in the output slot.

You shouldn’t have to do anything special in the DAW, just set up Audiobus 3 as the input to the track you wish to record on and arm it.

Come out to the desktop and start up the app you wish to record.
    Go back to either Audiobus or the DAW and start recording.
    Switch back to your source app and use it to make some noises. You should be able to hear both the output from the DAW and the app you’re recording in the headphones.

When done, switch back and halt the recording. If you then solo the newly recorded track, you’ll find you have a pristine stereo recording of just the new audio, with no bleed through of any backing.

I’m now able to include in my projects many instrument apps that I’ve not previously been able to record easily due to lack of AB, IAA or AUv3, not least of which is Roli’s Noise, where the SWAM instruments are unavailable in the AUv3 version, yet they’re pretty much the only reason I’d want to use it.

Posted this information to the wiki here:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/app_tutorials/audiobus/mutitrackusbaudio

• Article now at: https://wiki.audiob.us/audiobus3_multitrack_usb_audio

Note that wiki article URLS are in flux. If the link above doesn't work, use the search box to fine "multitrack usb"

• I found this in the AB wiki...and I am a little confused. It seems like it is a really useful tip, but there isn't a lot of information.

Is this recording multiple tracks as audio tracks? Or is it about getting Island Apps (like Roli) into a DAW?

I am really interested in this technique that @TheOriginalPaulB found, but I am not sure how I can use it. @espiegel123 or @InfoCheck can you give any insight?

Seems really cool

• @animalelder said:
    I found this in the AB wiki...and I am a little confused. It seems like it is a really useful tip, but there isn't a lot of information.

Is this recording multiple tracks as audio tracks? Or is it about getting Island Apps (like Roli) into a DAW?

I am really interested in this technique that @TheOriginalPaulB found, but I am not sure how I can use it. @espiegel123 or @InfoCheck can you give any insight?

Seems really cool

• @animalelder said:
    I found this in the AB wiki...and I am a little confused. It seems like it is a really useful tip, but there isn't a lot of information.

Seems really cool

It’s about being able to hear tracks that you have already recorded in the DAW while you record and monitor a single new track using an app that doesn’t support AB, IAA or AUv3.

• Thank you both @TheOriginalPaulB and @InfoCheck hose are both helpful.