Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Feedback Wanted: My First Beat

edited March 2020 in Creations

Finished my first beat today after Lil Nas X sent out a call for beats. I know I have a lot of room to grow here but would love some feedback.

Comments

• Not a valid SoundCloud URL... :(

• @anickt said:
    Not a valid SoundCloud URL... :(

Weird. Had to take it down and reupload.

• FIRST beat?? Wow, man, well done. Particularly liked the delay on the drums toward the end. If I can offer any criticism? The melody and the chords are all really rooted to the downbeat; everything changes on the ONE, and they all change together. Maybe consider some elements starting at a different points, maybe jumping in early?

Keep at it!

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    FIRST beat?? Wow, man, well done. Particularly liked the delay on the drums toward the end. If I can offer any criticism? The melody and the chords are all really rooted to the downbeat; everything changes on the ONE, and they all change together. Maybe consider some elements starting at a different points, maybe jumping in early?

Keep at it!

Thank you. Yeah I’ve done some weird LoFi songs on my PO-33 and been working on some EDM stuff but this is my first hip-hop/rap beat. I’m glad you dig the delay. Was super happy when I tried out Dubstation with the drums and found that sound.

Yeah that’s definitely a comfort thing. Good call out. I do like that for this one with the whole anthemic theme. But certainly something I need to work on for future songs.

• The pads are a bit too loud and are starting to take energy away from the beat, I'd lower them 3-4dB.

The kick sounds like you're hitting a wet cardboard box. Beef up the low end, maybe a slight 2-3dB EQ boost at 100Hz, like-wise, maybe turn down the beater sound of the kick with some EQ as well. Alternately, layer a really subby 808 style kick under the one you have.

Snare could use a bit more body and crack, 2dB boost at 400Hz, and 2dB boost around 3-4kHz will help a lot.

Good start otherwise, it's amazing how polished some people's first attempts are these days.

• @Tarekith said:
    The pads are a bit too loud and are starting to take energy away from the beat, I'd lower them 3-4dB.

The kick sounds like you're hitting a wet cardboard box. Beef up the low end, maybe a slight 2-3dB EQ boost at 100Hz, like-wise, maybe turn down the beater sound of the kick with some EQ as well. Alternately, layer a really subby 808 style kick under the one you have.

Snare could use a bit more body and crack, 2dB boost at 400Hz, and 2dB boost around 3-4kHz will help a lot.

Good start otherwise, it's amazing how polished some people's first attempts are these days.

Wow. Appreciate the detail here. I’ll definitely give this a try. I admittedly didn’t really touch the eq, sloppy I know. I actually rushed this out after Lil Nas X Tweeted asking for beats.

I did find that pushing it through Grand Finale helped a ton. I’ll work on the EQ updates you suggested and see where that gets me.

• I really like it, not sure if you did this but maybe some randomized velocity on the pad chords, and maybe very little randomized timing as well. Mozaic can definitely help with this in the midi.

Also maybe some probability on the drums, I love when a snare is missed once in awhile or that first kick is missed once in awhile.

• @YourJunk

What apps are used in this track?

So did you like using grand finale? I’m currently event it up....

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I really like it, not sure if you did this but maybe some randomized velocity on the pad chords, and maybe very little randomized timing as well. Mozaic can definitely help with this in the midi.

Also maybe some probability on the drums, I love when a snare is missed once in awhile or that first kick is missed once in awhile.

@Poppadocrock said:
    @YourJunk

What apps are used in this track?

So did you like using grand finale? I’m currently event it up....

Yeah good call on the randomization and humanizing aspects. I definitely could have varied up the velocity and drum pattern a bit here.

I made the song in Cubasis 3. The drums are EG Pulse and the bass is Shockwave. The rest of the instruments are CB native. I used Dubstation 2 for the delay on the drums. Some of the synths have a touch of Blackhole Reverb on them.

I liked Grand Finale but I haven’t figured out yet how to preserve dynamics the way I want to. It’s almost too good? I found ultimately found better success using AUM, TB Equalizer, TB ReelBus, and TB Barricade.

I uploaded a fresh mix to compare.