Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ableton, Reason , Logic coming to iOS ?

Sorry for the clickbaity title but it’s apropos. In this 7 minute video Dave here explains why it finally might be feasible to port iOS versions of popular desktop DAWS onto here .

Comments

• First we need real multi-core support on iOS and music apps.

• edited March 2020

They would have done it already if they wanted to. Simple as that.
    It's not the hardware that matters anymore, it's the market.
    See Propellerheads "thor" and "Dr Octo Rex".
    They can do it if their management decides so.

• If apple would install a decent amount of RAM for a reasonable price this would be the game changer.
    If Microsoft can do this with the Surface Pro so can APPLE.
    Imagine how much Apple would charge for a 16GB IPAD

• @rs2000 : Those are instruments thiugh, not complete DAWS. Just saying it’s less of a stretch now .

• 5 years from now... not sooner...

• It won’t happen.. Not unless iPad is stopped being produced.. Then you will see a MacBook tablet... Same as Surface

• I think that the problem is that nobody would pay €350 for Ableton on iOS. Many would moan if it cost €35. What sane company will commit to building an app for the iPad when people are willing to buy a MacBook just so they can run Ableton?

• There's a difference between feasibility and viability.

• It's more likely that GarageBand will gain more features than that Ableton Live to pop up on iOS/iPadOS...

Imagine GarageBand gets FlexPitch and FlexTime and deeper editing of the midi and instruments?
    Something similar to the 'Advanced' switches in Logic could be used to toggle the features.

Wonder if GarageBand will get an update when iPadOS13.4 ships later today?
    (And well desktop Logic should at least get the option to download all additional GarageBand extra sounds without work-arounds).

Time will tell what happens...

• @mistercharlie said:
    I think that the problem is that nobody would pay €350 for Ableton on iOS. Many would moan if it cost €35. What sane company will commit to building an app for the iPad when people are willing to buy a MacBook just so they can run Ableton?

I would pay it without blinking. And/or buy a proper ‘MacBook Pro Touch’ if it existed. The real issue with Ableton is they don’t even support “touch” period. I have a 24” Wacom Cintiq that I could be using for that in the studio, but Ableton just doesn’t seem interested in touchscreens.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I think that the problem is that nobody would pay €350 for Ableton on iOS. Many would moan if it cost €35. What sane company will commit to building an app for the iPad when people are willing to buy a MacBook just so they can run Ableton?

Moreover, Ableton would have to sell Live iOS on the AppStore and Apple would take a 30% cut of that 350. That's just never going to happen.

Ableton developed Link to allow you to sync your mobile devices to Live. They don't want to put Live on mobile devices, they want you to bring your mobile devices to Live.

As for Apple making Logic iOS? People forget that Apple is, fundamentally, a hardware company. Software is a loss-leader for them to entice users to buy new hardware. Why would they put their flagship music program on their cheaper hardware platform?

It's possible we might see an expanded, non-free Garageband that, essentially, requires an iPad Pro to entice users to upgrade their iOS device (it might even be called "Logic Lite"), but they are always going to push the ultimate upgrade path: "Finish your tracks in the amazing Logic Pro! (But for that you'll need to get a Mac...)"

• @aplourde said:Pad when people are willing to buy a MacBook just so they can run Ableton?

Moreover, Ableton would have to sell Live iOS on the AppStore and Apple would take a 30% cut of that 350. That's just never going to happen.

Good point

• 400 staff at Ableton to maintain and improve the desktop version.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for a €14.99 AppStore drop!

• edited March 2020

@mistercharlie said:

@aplourde said:Pad when people are willing to buy a MacBook just so they can run Ableton?

Good point

But still we see a lot iOS apps between 1/5 and 1/10 of desktop prices even before Apple‘s 30% cut.
    I would not pay 350 for Live iOS, but also not for mac/windows.
    I would pay 200 for Logic in a heartbeat!
    But we should give up waiting before not Mainstage comes first to iOS.
    Indeed 5 years could be a good number.

• edited March 2020

Interesting to see that it looks like some iOS Garage Band tools/workflow find its way into the next Logic.
    At least it looks like it.
    Scroll down to the mac part and you see an interesting screen shot on a macbook which looks like the performance FX pads and the loop launcher thing which would be really great. So 10.5. coming soon?
    https://www.apple.com/education/products/

• Why does it matter ? If you want them just buy a computer that runs them, IOS is not your friend, it is not a loved one, it isnt anything but an OS on a computer, if you cant use MacOS or Windows, then you dont need any of the software on those OS.

• edited March 2020

@Turntablist said:
    Why does it matter ? If you want them just buy a computer that runs them, IOS is not your friend, it is not a loved one, it isnt anything but an OS on a computer, if you cant use MacOS or Windows, then you dont need any of the software on those OS.

Sorry i don´t really get what you want to say here (my english is not so good). It makes no sense to me.
    I use iOS and mac and i like to have crossplatform tools. Easy as that. And while not all tools translate well i also find not really the perfect iOS DAW yet. Synths and FX are great. Midi tools are almost better as everything on mac but DAW?
    I need to use several ones but i just like to learn and focus on 1 (maybe 2 at best).
    The screenshot. As you see something from a iOS app goes now into Logic. Why not vice versa?
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/seemingly-unreleased-version-of-logic-pro-x-with-live-loops-appears-on-apples-education-site.2228557/

• Also i see Apple offers now a 90 day trial for Logic (or they will do soon).

• @Turntablist said:
    Why does it matter ? If you want them just buy a computer that runs them, IOS is not your friend, it is not a loved one, it isnt anything but an OS on a computer, if you cant use MacOS or Windows, then you dont need any of the software on those OS.

Wut

• edited March 2020

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    400 staff at Ableton to maintain and improve the desktop version.

This is precisely my point. If you want pro-level features and stability, then expect to pay pro-level prices. Personally I don’t have an issue with it. I’ve used Ableton since pretty early on (version 2? 3? On a G4). I was even a certified trainer for years (among other DAWs). When you pay $15 or even $50, you get what you paid for. And in all fairness to the devs, they’re somewhat constrained by the platform itself and Apples business model.

I do believe however even its current form it would be possible to have these DAWs exist on iOS (if not in a lesser form somewhat). Having recently fired up an old G5 I have to use SoundDiver, I messed around with a copy of Live 4 I still have.... It really hasn’t changed much since then. And my current ipad is far faster and more powerful than that G5 (even has more RAM!). If both the will and the money was there it could definitely happen IMO. But neither is present.

• edited March 2020

@Apex said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    400 staff at Ableton to maintain and improve the desktop version.

This is precisely my point. If you want pro-level features and stability, then expect to pay pro-level prices. Personally I don’t have an issue with it. I’ve used Ableton since pretty early on (version 2? 3? On a G4). I was even a certified trainer for years (among other DAWs). When you pay $15 or even $50, you get what you paid for. And in all fairness to the devs, they’re somewhat constrained by the platform itself and Apples business model.

I do believe however even its current form it would be possible to have these DAWs exist on iOS (if not in a lesser form somewhat). Having recently fired up an old G5 I have to use SoundDiver, I messed around with a copy of Live 4 I still have.... It really hasn’t changed much since then. And my current ipad is far faster and more powerful than that G5 (even has more RAM!). If both the will and the money was there it could definitely happen IMO. But neither is present.

That might sums it up. I personally would have no problem to pay 100-150 for an even slightly limited version of Logic. I mean there is content for several grands included.
    But i understand that the iOS market is very different.
    I think it still needs some years. In the meantime i also enjoy iOS unique DAWs like NanoStudio which even has things i miss in Logic. So there is that. I also would happily pay 100 for NanoStudio on mac (but only with audio tracks please) :)

• well...for my mental sane and workflow...I would not like to see Ableton on my ipad too...I like to have different setups ( acknowledging that they all have different outcomes). I also tend to think that this expansion to all mediums would lower creativity and diversity in compositions/sound and whatever....It's just like all of us would graduate from the same University...same Year....same Teachers....same direction that Teachers had impregnate our heads to follow...Blindly !! :)

• @Clueless said:
    First we need real multi-core support on iOS and music apps.

Just curious, what is missing currently to have a real multi-core support? According to GeekBench, both my iPad Pro and iPhone 11 beat my MacBook Pro in multi-core benchmark, but I’m not sure if it correlates with an actual performance of audio software.

• @Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

Sorry i don´t really get what you want to say here (my english is not so good). It makes no sense to me.
    I use iOS and mac and i like to have crossplatform tools. Easy as that. And while not all tools translate well i also find not really the perfect iOS DAW yet. Synths and FX are great. Midi tools are almost better as everything on mac but DAW?
    I need to use several ones but i just like to learn and focus on 1 (maybe 2 at best).
    The screenshot. As you see something from a iOS app goes now into Logic. Why not vice versa?
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/seemingly-unreleased-version-of-logic-pro-x-with-live-loops-appears-on-apples-education-site.2228557/

If you want to use just one app, buy a notebook and use one app, its not exactly rocket science.

• @Turntablist said:

@Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

If you want to use just one app, buy a notebook and use one app, its not exactly rocket science.

Thank‘s for another useless answer ;)

• @Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

@Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

Why is it useless ?
    You give zero reasons why any of these apps would be better on an iPad vs a Macbook Air or Surface, so in fact your replies are complete nonsense, if you want those apps, why are you using an iPad, this is very very simple.

• @Billflinton said:

@Clueless said:
    First we need real multi-core support on iOS and music apps.

Just curious, what is missing currently to have a real multi-core support? According to GeekBench, both my iPad Pro and iPhone 11 beat my MacBook Pro in multi-core benchmark, but I’m not sure if it correlates with an actual performance of audio software.

No it does not.
    But the main thing is if you use audio apps it just use one core for everything.
    Maybe that changed by now.
    Geekbench numbers means not much here.

• @Turntablist said:

@Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

@Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

Why is it useless ?
    You give zero reasons why any of these apps would be better on an iPad vs a Macbook Air or Surface, so in fact your replies are complete nonsense, if you want those apps, why are you using an iPad, this is very very simple.

Maybe you read not what i said so its useless to discuss with you.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

@Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

@Clueless said:

@Turntablist said:

Why is it useless ?

Maybe you read not what i said so its useless to discuss with you.

"Hey why doesn't my fridge microwave food, I mean they both have doors and a light, and you put food in both of them, why doesn't Zanussi spend the huge amount of R/D needed to make that happen, I will happily pay £3 for that"