Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• I thought it would be a new drum machine but...
    ...it's a distorted/overdriven sine wave thing...

• edited March 2020

Well, it says right there that it's a sub-bass. Or as the kids call it, an 808.

But do I have this right? Only the select few who receive this email get the right to purchase this?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    But do I have this right? Only the select few who receive this email get the right to purchase this?

Looks like it will only be available for a limited time (instead of people), which doesn't make sense to me either

• I think I'll wait for the 101 with a sequencer or something ;)

• Yeah, miss me with your "exclusive" limited-edition EFFORTLESSLY REPRODUCED app.

• If they actually sell it for a limited time and then remove it for good it's just silly.
    Maybe it's just another free AudioKit promo app...

• @Samu said:
    If they actually sell it for a limited time and then remove it for good it's just silly.
    Maybe it's just another free AudioKit promo app...

That is generous thinking, sir. You may be right.

Either way, I kind of feel like the artificial scarcity model of sneaker companies is maybe something that shouldn't return when Capitalism 2.0 lands post-pandemic.

• edited March 2020

Oh, hey everyone. :)

Hope you are all doing alright. This is such a stressful time, please take care of yourselves.

The past year, we've been working on a series of 10 special edition apps that will only be available for 2 weeks each. It will be available to everyone to buy. This is the first one. All these new apps use the new (soon to be open-sourced) AUv3 code from AudioKit that is light years ahead of our previous apps. Works amazing in Cubasis 3, BM3, GarageBand, etc.

By creating special edition apps, we're creating making a unique instrument with sounds available only to an exclusively small amount of musicians. There are gonna be some cool partners on upcoming apps. Some apps will be simple like this one, and some will be quite robust with gigabytes of sounds.

At least one of the apps in this series this spring will be free.

This first one may not appeal to everyone here. But, at least 4 different Grammy winning producers have been using the beta and are freaking out, one calling it "biggest thing to happen to iOS hip hop production". And one rejoiced "We no longer have to deal with 808 samples" in iOS Production.

But, of course if you don't like sub bass, it might not be for you. The app can be used for other things, Pretty cool to see Jim Sheridan using it to play the synth lead in Are Friends Electric: https://www.facebook.com/jim.sheridan.946/videos/10222067301412793/

What happens after two weeks?
    Think of it like a limited run Vinyl for record store day. But we're not going to remove them from that app store – The drops will continue to be in the app store, that way people can still download the app if they get a new device. We asked Apple the best way to prevent new people from downloading the app, and they suggested the maximum price.

The apps will still be updated. In fact for this one, we're planning an iPhone version. Which will be a free update. The catch is, you won't actually be able to buy it on an iPhone. So, not many people will have the iPhone version. Making it a more exclusive instrument.

What happens if you get a new phone/iPad?
    You can still download the app as long as you have the same iTunes account.

Hope you all stay positive and healthy,
    – Matthew

• edited March 2020

But why?

I mean I bought every one of your apps and love to support you but that „only for two weeks“ idea seems stupid if it only is there to make it „exclusive“

Like the complete opposite of your previous approach to make things available for as many people as possible.

Who exactly profits from your new idea of marketing?

• @Zaubrer said:

Maybe they are counting on 'broducers' to grab the apps after the sales have ended so they can brag about spending $9990 on ten apps or something?! :D

• edited March 2020

@analog_matt said:

Hope you are all doing alright. This is such a stressful time, please take care of yourselves...

Hey Matthew, hope all is well.
    I'm not sure about this business model....seems interesting. I'm just thinking back to how there are apps I won't be able to ever get again (Djay 2, and PPG Synths comes to mind). While I'd get value out of the app, if I was to make a tutorial for future use, I wouldn't use that app much because it alienates people a lot more. But as a producer/collector, depends. I suck at 808 so this is something I'll use.

I will still get the app because I'm a fan of Audiokit and the work you do in making things accessible.

Please, please, please make Synth One AUv3, and into the best stable synth. It has the potential to be the Serum of iOS. It's the best app to introduce people into Audiokit, especially since it's in US App stores.

If you made it possible to download this 808 app as a paid unlock into Synth One, then "whoa". (Think Output by Arcade, or how Korg Gadget works with their IAAs - the app has a different UI depending on the synth I use). This would be something that people who already have Synth one for free can buy, while also buying the unique unlocks based on what path you're trying to grow.

EDIT:

Plus, in terms of maintenance, it's easier to fix a bug on 1 app, than 7 apps.

As a "young producer", I just feel that there are too many synths to learn. I already have a hard time deciding between Synth One and Digital D1 (one is IAA but works in iOS and iPad OS, while one is IAA and AUv3 but can't be used on iOS). I'd rather apps with completely different experiences than 8 of the same app.

There's power in limited choices. That's how creativity happens.

• Matthew, this sounds fun. Can’t wait :)

Everyone else stressing about it... I don’t know what to say. It seems like the dev is just having a good time with this and wants to do things a little bit unusual. If you are going to be bothered by that, I guess maybe move on and buy other apps.

but don’t harsh the good vibes here.

• edited March 2020

@Zaubrer said:
    But why?

I mean I bought every one of your apps and love to support you but that „only for two weeks“ idea seems stupid if it only is there to make it „exclusive“

The idea is that Musicians get sounds that are more unique.
    For example, only 3000 people had a Jupiter 8 back in the day. And, it was special and changed music.
    The less people that have an instrument, the more unique a musician's sound can be.
    Hopefully, we feel this will bring more excitement to iOS Music making.

As most apps make money in the long tell, In financial sense, we make MUCH LESS money. AudioKit isn't a business, so we can do cool things like this – Making unique instruments. Hopefully most of the apps break even enough to pay the musician partners involved.

Like the complete opposite of your previous approach to make things available for as many people as possible.

We still have 3 apps coming out in 2020 that will be available to get at all times, including an amazing new app with Henny tha Bizness and another Grammy winner coming out next month. It will also be open-source – With a free AUv3 code template that will be the most complete AUv3 code available yet.

• Going to cause it's own kind of stir, but I'm for it. Gotta collect them all etc. And, anyways, it's really not that big a deal.... :)

• @analog_matt This may well be successful, and it certainly will generate buzz. But it seems strangely at odds with the ethos of AudioKit, but you would definitely know better than I would.

• So synth one will never be au? Fulfill that promise first please. Then take all our money.

• Great idea, if ur skint for 2 weeks then do more overtime!

No issue with this model whatsoever 👍

• edited March 2020

Synth One will eventually be AU. It's a bit complicated... very difficult to make AU. Almost easier to start over.

@stormywaterz It's alright if you don't want to buy any AudioKit apps until S1 is AU. Or, it's alright if you want to use Synth One and our upcoming free apps and never buy any AudioKit apps. They are gifts, without any strings attached.

• If they still get updates and they aren’t too pricey, this could work...

• @anolog_matt umm ok cool, I'll probably get them all.
    Any news Synth One getting an AU update?

• @Poppadocrock said:
    If they still get updates and they aren’t too pricey, this could work...

Oh yes, this first one is only $2.99
    It's really great for creating kick and electronic drums, too. Not just bass.

We worked with Jeff Cooper, who studied FM Synthesis under John Chowning (one of the creators of the DX7) himself at Stanford. His 808 kick bass models he created for this app are some of the best and deepest synthesized kicks I've heard on any platform. Really exciting low-end.

• I am not a "broducer" but I like 808s and I like bass and I am excited.

• @analog_matt said:

Hope you are all doing alright. This is such a stressful time, please take care of yourselves.

The past year, we've been working on a series of 10 special edition apps that will only be available for 2 weeks each. It will be available to everyone to buy. This is the first one. All these new apps use the new (soon to be open-sourced) AUv3 code from AudioKit that is light years ahead of our previous apps. Works amazing in Cubasis 3, BM3, GarageBand, etc.

By creating special edition apps, we're creating making a unique instrument with sounds available only to an exclusively small amount of musicians. There are gonna be some cool partners on upcoming apps. Some apps will be simple like this one, and some will be quite robust with gigabytes of sounds.

At least one of the apps in this series this spring will be free.

This first one may not appeal to everyone here. But, at least 4 different Grammy winning producers have been using the beta and are freaking out, one calling it "biggest thing to happen to iOS hip hop production". And one rejoiced "We no longer have to deal with 808 samples" in iOS Production.

But, of course if you don't like sub bass, it might not be for you. The app can be used for other things, Pretty cool to see Jim Sheridan using it to play the synth lead in Are Friends Electric: https://www.facebook.com/jim.sheridan.946/videos/10222067301412793/

What happens after two weeks?
    The drops will continue to be in the app store, but the price tag will go to the maximum amount ($999) in the app store for people who missed the drop.

The apps will still be updated. In fact for this one, we're planning an iPhone version. Which will be a free update. The catch is, you won't actually be able to buy it on an iPhone. So, not many people will have the iPhone version. Making it a more exclusive instrument.

What happens if you get a new phone/iPad?
    You can still download the app as long as you have the same iTunes account.

Hope you all stay positive and healthy,
    – Matthew

I don’t like the idea, actually.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

I'm glad to see people trying disruptive new things to see if the iOS landscape, which is so lackluster for developers can be shaken out of its malaise. If no one tries new things, nothing new happens.

Good on you for thinking outside the box. I hope it works / does something positive! <3

• Is this synth based on actual synthesis or is it another rompler with >1GB of samples?

• @Samu said:
    Is this synth based on actual synthesis or is it another rompler with >1GB of samples?

@analog_matt said:
    We worked with Jeff Cooper, who studied FM Synthesis under John Chowning (one of the creators of the DX7) himself at Stanford. His 808 kick bass models he created for this app are some of the best and deepest synthesized kicks I've heard on any platform. Really exciting low-end.

• @wim said:
    I'm glad to see people trying disruptive new things to see if the iOS landscape, which is so lackluster for developers can be shaken out of its malaise. If no one tries new things, nothing new happens.

Good on you for thinking outside the box. I hope it works / does something positive! <3

+1

• Hey, thanks everyone for the DMs and emails!

Please allow me to briefly address questions:

(1) This is supposed to be fun
    (2) These apps would not exist otherwise. Consider them all bonus apps. The limited edition nature of the apps is what got the buy in and excitement of the musicians and dev partners to create these apps
    (3) AudioKit is still making apps that will be available to the public. Consider these limited edition apps "bonus" apps for die hard iOS musicians.
    (4) If someone can't afford a $3 app during a drop, they can always email me for a promo code.
    (5) These limited edition apps will be released over the next couple of years – they're not all coming out right now. And, they're not taking away too many development resources from AudioKit's current apps, as these apps are pulling in new coders and collaborators.
    (6) The technology developed from these drop partnerships is going to make all current AudioKit apps better (including Synth One)
    (7) There will definitely be free & completely open-source code released as part of this series!

I appreciate that these are trying times. And, certainly we're not trying to add to anyone's stress. If you have special financial needs, I will do my best to make sure you can enjoy these drops.

• edited March 2020

@Samu said:
    Is this synth based on actual synthesis or is it another rompler with >1GB of samples?

Synth, this app is < 20mb total

• edited March 2020

The FOMO marketing approach. Should be interesting. Look forward to it.