Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's your favourite Virsyn synth / fx / other app, and why?

With all the numerous Virsyn apps going at a nicely reduced price, it seemed a good idea to ask people who've already been using these for a while, which are your favourites by category and why?

Comments

• Tera synth, Addictive pro, Poseidon. Unique synths. I would love to see more love for Reslice, since it misses files app integration (I mean, the possibility to copy/paste files into a folder instead of single importing wav) and velocity. With these two little things would be a serious sampler, because it is already perfect in other respects. AudioLayer is the sampling on iOS. For the effects side I do not know.

• @Yalexein thanks a lot. When u say reslice is missing velocity, do u mean when played via midi keyboard?

• yep! With just these two improvements it would be a definitive solution.

@Gavinski said:
    @Yalexein thanks a lot. When u say reslice is missing velocity, do u mean when played via midi keyboard?

• Presumably ppl have complained about this, I wonder why they haven't fixed it

• AudioLayer by far.
    The iOS synths don't get used here as much as I initially thought, the desktop counterparts were much pore powerful > 10 years ago, sometimes the iOS versions are just too limited to be fun for sound tweakers like me.

• Has anyone used Harmony Eight, Matrix, Emo Chorus, VoxSyn Pro?

I’ve been looking for vocal effects. Hard to find many people that use VirSyn effects in videos (by Google).

As far as apps, AudioLayer and Bark Filter.

• edited March 2020

@animalelder said:
    Has anyone used Harmony Eight, Matrix, Emo Chorus, VoxSyn Pro?

I’ve been looking for vocal effects. Hard to find many people that use VirSyn effects in videos (by Google).

Harmony Eight is exactly what I need in terms of pure functionality but unfortunately the pitch shifting quality is bad enough to limit its usefulness for vocals. Micro-shifts up to one semitone are certainly OK.
    For vocoding I'm using derVoco and it's great.
    Emo Chorus is a nice chorus with its own touch, not exactly my favorite but because almost every chorus sounds different on iOS, it's good to have the choice. If I had to limit myself to only one, it might be FAC Chorus.

Edit: Sorry but even with only one semitone pitch shifting in Harmony Eight, Discord 4 is miles ahead in terms of sound quality.

• Hard to pick
    microTERA because it’s a face-melter and, with Cube (which melts face but is crazy deep) is completely unique to iOS
    Tera, Poseidon, Audiolayer...
    Sorry I just realized I’m of zero help

• @rs2000 said:

@animalelder said:
    Has anyone used Harmony Eight, Matrix, Emo Chorus, VoxSyn Pro?

Edit: Sorry but even with only one semitone pitch shifting in Harmony Eight, Discord 4 is miles ahead in terms of sound quality.

Good to know. Already have Discord4. Thanks for saving me money!

• edited March 2020

used VoxSyn pro for special sauce a lot live. nice amount of unpredictability. bark filter is uniquely excellent too.
    all the synths are great. hold a special soft spot for Cubes intricate envelopes, morphing and general design. a pro version of that would be epic.

• @Gavinski said:
    Presumably ppl have complained about this, I wonder why they haven't fixed it

I love ReSlice. The lack of midi velocity control doesn't bother me. The arpeggiator is great. The transient detection is solid and you can export the slices and MIDI sequence to reproduce the loop (though the process is convoluted for exporting the MIDI)

• @Gavinski I’m Glad you posted this thread. I almost posted the same discussion myself a few different times. I don’t have any virsyn apps. I was gonna get reslice but just bought Samplr with sale. I’ve always been interested In Audiolayer but I have so many samplers, I know nothing is like AL, but still. I have a ton of FX apps so it have to be very unique or amazing for me to get another FX. I do kind of need another compressor, but I think I’m leaning toward TB Barricade over Bark. I’ve heard some people say bark was just ok as a general usage compressor. It has that one magic trick with the Triple Band preset for mastering, but I hear overall just ok.

I hear Microtera is good.

How’s VoxSyn Pro? And how does it sound on something other than a voice?

I know @TheAudioDabbler loves Cube and Microtera. He’s mentioned it before in other threads.

I’ve been wanting a @VirSyn app for quite some time but can never pull the trigger for various reasons.

• I just got Tap Delay, but the preset windows are empty. Anyone have this problem?

• @SimonSomeone said:
    I just got Tap Delay, but the preset windows are empty. Anyone have this problem?

If you opened the AUv3 first that happens...
    No harm I don’t think just open the standalone then try again

• @SimonSomeone said:
    I just got Tap Delay, but the preset windows are empty. Anyone have this problem?

Same here. Neither the standalone nor the AUv3 show any presets. Make your own 😉

• edited March 2020

@rs2000 said:

@SimonSomeone said:

Same here. Neither the standalone nor the AUv3 show any presets. Make your own 😉

You may need to reinstall and start with stand-alone
    (This just worked for me...seems like if one opens in AUv3 reinstall is required)

• I just can’t get ‘there’ with Virsyn. I’ve bought nearly all they make...just never gets used.

if I had to pick a favorite Tera with a better interface perhaps? I dislike the huge amount of side scrolling needed to program patches, but I dislike this on many popular apps like UnReason Compact and it’s twin groovebox. It’s my opinion this format is sucky...to which I am firm, and the sole reason I erased those apps.

As far as Reason 11 on Mac! I’m down since day one...own it, use it, love it.
    They just don’t take iOS seriously, so I don’t take their iOS products seriously until that changes.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@rs2000 said:

@SimonSomeone said:

You may need to reinstall and start with stand-alone
    (This just worked for me...seems like if one opens in AUv3 reinstall is required)

Very weird. It works indeed!
    Thanks for the hint.

• The Tripleband preset in Barkfilter is worth it.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I just can’t get ‘there’ with Virsyn. I’ve bought nearly all they make...just never gets used.

if I had to pick a favorite Tera with a better interface perhaps? I dislike the huge amount of side scrolling needed to program patches, but I dislike this on many popular apps like UnReason Compact and it’s twin groovebox. It’s my opinion this format is sucky...to which I am firm, and the sole reason I erased those apps.

As far as Reason 11 on Mac! I’m down since day one...own it, use it, love it.
    They just don’t take iOS seriously, so I don’t take their iOS products seriously until that changes.

Unfortunately, yes.
    The only two I would recommend without hesitation is AudioLayer and ReSlice.
    Cube Synth and BandShift dob their job too.
    Maybe I'm spoilt by their older desktop versions, they used to build exceptional synths, no joke.

• Thanks for the input, everyone.

• I used the "time payments" approach and just got them all over 2 years.
    Prioritize by you current needs. There's still 1-2 left on layaway. Such a massive catalog of apps the maintain and enhance. Lot's of frustrations over missing features and lack of communication on bugs but there's no doubt Harry is one of the most productive solo developers on IOS... he's focused and keeps me extremely happy with his designs and support. I waited a long tom for the SFZ imports but I was able to make dozens of instrument without it myself (mostly using SynthJacker because I'm a lazy fuck).

For a long time AudioReverb was most used but BarkFilter on the master output seems to
    create a better mixed spectrum than anything else I can do with chained FX as fast.

AudioLayer is a utility for cloning hardware and other synths... and just creating playable instruments from random audio sources. My go to control surface is the keyboard to quickly generate chords and rhythms so AudioLayer is ideal. Inside AudioLayer is a rack of FX and it's available as AudioEffx and is effective and quick to dial in. It's conservative on CPU.

All the synths make a contribution for those that live with presets and rarely learn to program the app.

• edited March 2020

AudioLayer wasn’t built for me to use...I jus can’t get on with it.

I much prefer sugarbytes egoist over Reslice

• I just picked up Harmony Voice but have not dabbled with it yet. I do enjoy Cube and Tera Synth, lots of presets. Arpeggist is always fun.

ReSlice is great for chopping up samples. I have a love hate relationship with AudioLayer. Emo Chorus can add some cool effects to a lot of variety of things.

• microTera is a great place to start with virsyn apps.